Thoughts?

keg in kc
05-20-2007, 12:54 PM
This is the year he becomes a star.

Direckshun
05-20-2007, 12:57 PM
This is the year he becomes a star.
A "star" in what sense?

Playing very well on the field? Or popularity?

unothadeal
05-20-2007, 12:59 PM
BUST!!!

keg in kc
05-20-2007, 01:00 PM
A "star" in what sense?

Playing very well on the field? Or popularity?On the field.

I wouldn't call him a 'bust' so far, that's a little strong, but it's time he takes the next step and becomes one of the league's best LBs. And I think he starts to do that this year.

Direckshun
05-20-2007, 01:01 PM
What parts of his game has he lacked thus far, then?

Rain Man
05-20-2007, 01:05 PM
I think they coached some of his talent away, such as making him stop trying to strip the ball. If they'll let him start doing that again, and use him more ways - rushing the QB occasionally, for example - he's got the talent to be a star. He's fast as heck and has a nose for the ball.

SoCalBronco
05-20-2007, 01:06 PM
He's a stud linebacker. Outstanding in coverage. It's a real testament to him that he has been so active and so productive despite being placed in the difficult, stat unfriendly strongside linebacker position. I think he would be even more of a beast playing at Will like he did at Texas, but I can understand why Gunther keeps him at Sam since he is such a good cover guy. He's your best defensive player IMO, better than Law.

Direckshun
05-20-2007, 01:06 PM
I think they coached some of his talent away, such as making him stop trying to strip the ball. If they'll let him start doing that again, and use him more ways - rushing the QB occasionally, for example - he's got the talent to be a star. He's fast as heck and has a nose for the ball.
He had five sacks last year.

Thing is, I think DJ has shut down the strong side several times in games. I think he's lightning fast and has produced good numbers his time in the league.

But I do keep hearing that he needs to break through, and I don't know what parts of his game need much improvement for that to occur.

luv
05-20-2007, 01:07 PM
Wasn't he injured for part of last year, or am I thinking the year before?

Hammock Parties
05-20-2007, 01:08 PM
Derrick proved his worth to this team last year. We all noticed a HUGE difference when he was injured.

keg in kc
05-20-2007, 01:11 PM
What parts of his game has he lacked thus far, then?In my opinion, consistency, diagnosis of the offensive play (i.e., appearing in/out of position - although that's obviously very difficult to gauge watching on TV...) and turnover generation (specifically interceptions). Has to avoid the injury issues of last year, as well. He's ahead of where I expected rushing the passer.

I wouldn't expect it every year, but I think he's capable of a 125 tackle/5 pick/5 sack season. And I think he has the talent to be one of the best all around LBs in the league.

Spicy McHaggis
05-20-2007, 01:23 PM
Derrick proved his worth to this team last year. We all noticed a HUGE difference when he was injured.

Exactly. I like the guy but it was immediately apparent Key Fox is no Derrick Johnson.

The Franchise
05-20-2007, 01:25 PM
He's a stud linebacker. Outstanding in coverage. It's a real testament to him that he has been so active and so productive despite being placed in the difficult, stat unfriendly strongside linebacker position. I think he would be even more of a beast playing at Will like he did at Texas, but I can understand why Gunther keeps him at Sam since he is such a good cover guy. He's your best defensive player IMO, better than Law.

If the Sam position needs a good cover guy....then I wonder if Donnie will play some of that this coming year. We all know that Donnie is a great cover LB...

This would free up DJ to play the Will.....and allow him to rush the QB even more.

RedThat
05-20-2007, 01:58 PM
I think he has potential to be a good player.

I wouldn't hype him up to say he is going to be a star because he hasn't shown that yet.

But he showed flashes that he could become a good player. He was hampered by injuries last year.

He still young has lots of time to develop. He's just gotta stay healthy. Given the fact Herm is our new head coach and brings a defensive mentality to this football team, and signing Donnie Edwards as a proven vet, gives DJ a good environment around him. I hope he can thrive off that, and become a good linebacker.

*I love his speed. I think that's one of his greatest assets. The Chiefs should really really take advantage of his speed. If they do, I think he can do some things.

Fish
05-20-2007, 02:08 PM
He doesn't take on blockers.... :D

I thought he'd have a better season than he did last year. I think his injury might have been bugging him more than they let on.

Having Donnie on the field should improve DJ's play this season. I expect him to lay some lumber on a few AFCW QBs...

beer bacon
05-20-2007, 02:13 PM
I was thinking DJ might have a nine or ten sack season before he got hurt. He had 4.5 sacks in the first eight games. Then he got injured, was out for four games, and didn't have any sacks in the last four games.

With Edwards and Harris on the field, I hope that means we can blitz DJ more. Coming out of college blitzing didn't seem like one of his strengths, but he was pretty damn good at it last season.

chuxtrux
05-20-2007, 02:20 PM
DJ was probably the best player on the D until he hurt his ankle halfway into the season. Also consider the other LB's were Mitchell and Bell, so he didn't exactly have a great supporting cast

DJ's left nut
05-20-2007, 02:29 PM
DJ was probably the best player on the D until he hurt his ankle halfway into the season. Also consider the other LB's were Mitchell and Bell, so he didn't exactly have a great supporting cast

Ding.

The guy played with scrubs last year. I'd imagine that his tackles/game will decrease a little this year because he won't be the only LB we have that could do the job. At the same time, he will have more impact plays. By season's end I could see his #s being similar but us noticing him having a much greater impact on the team.

cdcox
05-20-2007, 02:32 PM
He's already a good LB. I think he has more potential to be a disruptive type LB and make more plays in the process. But that is hard to do from his position and in this scheme.

ChiefsCountry
05-20-2007, 02:58 PM
Linebackers are normally judged by the number of sacks they get, which is why jackass Merriman and others get a ton of pub.

blueballs
05-20-2007, 03:18 PM
Wesley may be the pussy pounding hound
but DJ is the pussy licking hound
stay hungry Derrick

beer bacon
05-20-2007, 03:22 PM
Linebackers are normally judged by the number of sacks they get, which is why jackass Merriman and others get a ton of pub.

This isn't really true. 3-4 OLBs are judged by how many sacks they get, because they are most responsible for pressuring the QB in a 3-4. The best 4-3 LBs are guys with all around good game.

Bowser
05-20-2007, 03:27 PM
I want to see what he can do this year playing alongside Donnie Edwards and Nap Harris. I'm thinking the sky is the limit.

bringbackmarty
05-20-2007, 04:00 PM
I think we still play left and right, not sam and will. my guess is we will blitz him a lot more, and use him and Nap closer to the los to confuse the opposing qb in pass rushing situations. If he can stay healthy he should get over 10 sacks, and quite a few pressures.

Donnie' s game will benefit from this approach also. Nap is a better MLB than donnie in a 4-3, and donnie should be able to pick off a few provided everybody stays healthy.

Really it all depends on Nap, and the line. If we can continue to improve against the run, then passing situations will be obvious, and we can tee off against the qb, which results in sacks and turnovers. This also has the benefit of keeping our lb's fresh. I bet after allen gets back, we shut someone out.

ArrowheadHawk
05-20-2007, 04:08 PM
i want to see him doing more of that hacking with his arms i saw in his first year to try and force some fumbles i don't remember him doing it very much last year

stevieray
05-20-2007, 04:11 PM
the plummer hit times eleventy billion.

FloridaMan88
05-20-2007, 04:16 PM
Thoughts?

He's no Merriman or Ware.

But in fairness to DJ he has Goonther as his defensive coordinator

the Talking Can
05-20-2007, 05:02 PM
he hasn't reached his ceiling, which is good (assuming he does progress)...I agree he was our best D player last year...he's one of those players that can seem to be everywhere on the field, just amazing closing speed...

I'm hoping we get a chain reaction this year - strong DT play will take pressure off the LBs and make our DE's even more dangerous...I'd like to see breakout/career seasons from Hali/Allen (for 12 games)/DJ...

we have to be strong up the middle though, which means both FA acquisitions are key: Harris and Boone (and Tank) have to be upgrades for this to work...

Bowser
05-20-2007, 05:04 PM
he hasn't reached his ceiling, which is good (assuming he does progress)...I agree he was our best D player last year...he's one of those players that can seem to be everywhere on the field, just amazing closing speed...

I'm hoping we get a chain reaction this year - strong DT play will take pressure off the LBs and make our DE's even more dangerous...I'd like to see breakout/career seasons from Hali/Allen (for 12 games)/DJ...

we have to be strong up the middle though, which means both FA acquisitions are key: Harris and Boone (and Tank) have to be upgrades for this to work...

I had no idea it could get any worse, with the exception of not playing anyone at D-Tackle at all.

beer bacon
05-20-2007, 05:08 PM

Why do people always compare DJ to 3-4 rushbackers? They don't play the same position.

beer bacon
05-20-2007, 05:12 PM
Is DJ not as good as Kamerion Wimbley? Wimbley had 11 sacks as a 3-4 rushbacker last season. Obviously, he is superior to Derrick.

RedThat
05-20-2007, 05:43 PM

Good point.

ChiefsCountry
05-20-2007, 05:48 PM
This isn't really true. 3-4 OLBs are judged by how many sacks they get, because they are most responsible for pressuring the QB in a 3-4. The best 4-3 LBs are guys with all around good game.

That is what I was getting at. People look at the sack total to deterime how a good a LB is when that isnt the case.

Easy 6
05-20-2007, 06:30 PM
That is what I was getting at. People look at the sack total to deterime how a good a LB is when that isnt the case.

Especially when that LB plays in a 4-3 Cover2.

Guys like merriman are fine, but i would love to be able to compare speed & agility drill tapes...merriman wouldnt be able to sniff DJ's jock.

I'll take DJ over him & ware anyday, far more versatile & athletic.

kcchiefsus
05-20-2007, 06:45 PM

And Merriman or Ware are no Derrick Johnson. Let's see them try to play in the 4-3 and drop back into coverage all the time. They couldn't do it.

Chieftain58
05-20-2007, 07:07 PM
Very good player, he'll become a star this year then want a new contract!

Tribal Warfare
05-20-2007, 08:20 PM
Very good player, he'll become a star this year then want a new contract!

With the potentially badass D-Line DJ should be an All-Pro this year.

Deberg_1990
05-20-2007, 08:24 PM
Hes better than Scott Fugita

HolmeZz
05-20-2007, 08:27 PM

You might as well be comparing Derrick to a defensive end. He doesn't play the same position as Merriman or Ware.

The same would be true if you asked Merriman or Ware to do what DJ does.

Simply Red
05-20-2007, 08:29 PM
My replies are always conservative and usually boring. But I'm certain he'll always put up good numbers and may make the pro-bowl one or two times. I could be off on this, but; I'm not certain he'll ever be consistently great.

OctoberFart
05-20-2007, 09:45 PM
Good but still LB is a very overrated position.

HolmeZz
05-20-2007, 09:47 PM

Yeah, defenses would be much more effective without linebackers.

OctoberFart
05-20-2007, 10:00 PM
Yeah, defenses would be much more effective without linebackers.
Where did I say that? I said yes it is an overrated position and I stand by that. LB's are only good if the fat boys upfront are good and do their job. LB is were rookies can have an impact very easily and they don't have to be blue chip prospects. Now the 3-4 hybrids are a valuable postion but the 4-3 LB's are only as effective as the DL.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-20-2007, 10:14 PM
Thoughts?

I really wish that the Johnson jersey I scored today was his instead of LJ's.

Bowser
05-20-2007, 10:16 PM

Using your logic, every position on the field is overrated.

DJ is a potential standout player in a TEAM sport.

OctoberFart
05-20-2007, 10:21 PM
Using your logic, every position on the field is overrated.

DJ is a potential standout player in a TEAM sport.

I'm not ripping on the chiefs and LB is a position that 2nd and 3rd rounders make an impact. Just need an athletic guy with some speed and a little instincts and they can fill in just fine.

I'm not the only one with that says that I have heard several NFL coaches and scouts say the same thing in interviews.

Hoover
05-20-2007, 10:30 PM
I think DJ is one hell of a LB. The problem is we live in a Fantasy Sports world now, we fans want stats, and most times they only tell part of the story, especially for defensive players.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-20-2007, 10:40 PM
He's solid, but not anything spectacular.

Hammock Parties
05-20-2007, 10:41 PM
I'm not ripping on the chiefs and LB is a position that 2nd and 3rd rounders make an impact. Just need an athletic guy with some speed and a little instincts and they can fill in just fine.

I'm not the only one with that says that I have heard several NFL coaches and scouts say the same thing in interviews.

Very true, but where our team was in 2005 (horrible talent at linebacker), and considering how he fell, we couldn't pass him up.

We made out pretty good. The only first-rounder picked after Derrick that would be of value to the Chiefs right now is maybe Mark Clayton (DV probably wanted him) or Mike Patterson.

KcMizzou
05-20-2007, 10:45 PM
He's solid, but not anything spectacular.That sums him up, I think. And that's not an insult. He's not the flashy type, that's just not what he does.

He just has a knack for being around the ball, and doing his job on every play.

He's one of those "lunch box" guys, who comes ready to work.

RedThat
05-20-2007, 11:07 PM

huh?

Go tell that to Bill Belichek.

SoCalBronco
05-20-2007, 11:44 PM
He's solid, but not anything spectacular.

I don't enjoy complimenting Chiefs players, but he is closer to spectacular then just solid. He does alot of things that aren't appreciated by the media and fans because of the position he plays. When the TE gets 3 receptions for 19 yards, the headline doesn't say "Johnson shuts down X", but what happens is that you avoid the headline of "X terrorizes Chiefs down the middle". Kind of line the OL, you dont hear about them unless they are doing something wrong such as being turnstiles or being repeatedly called for penalties. That's kind of what the SAM is all about. You gotta take on the brunt of the attack, you gotta bang around with linemen, fullbacks, tight ends, you are often unprotected, either head up on the tight ends, or in the bubble over the right guard, and you are at the point of attack quite often, so instead of being allowed to chase down the ballcarrier, your job is really to hold your ground more...and your occupied on tight ends quite often. There's alot of things unseen that SAMs do effectively and yet Johnson is still able to be very active in terms of the more visable things.

KcMizzou
05-20-2007, 11:48 PM
I don't enjoy complimenting Chiefs players, but he is closer to spectacular then just solid. He does alot of things that aren't appreciated by the media and fans because of the position he plays. When the TE gets 3 receptions for 19 yards, the headline doesn't say "Johnson shuts down X", but what happens is that you avoid the headline of "X terrorizes Chiefs down the middle". Kind of line the OL, you dont hear about them unless they are doing something wrong such as being turnstiles or being repeatedly called for penalties. That's kind of what the SAM is all about. You gotta take on the brunt of the attack, you gotta bang around with linemen, fullbacks, tight ends, you are often unprotected, either head up on the tight ends, or in the bubble over the right guard, and you are at the point of attack quite often, so instead of being allowed to chase down the ballcarrier, your job is really to hold your ground more...and your occupied on tight ends quite often. There's alot of things unseen that SAMs do effectively and yet Johnson is still able to be very active in terms of the more visable things. Great post.

And not just because you were complimenting a Chief. :p

luv
05-20-2007, 11:50 PM
Great post.

And not just because you were complimenting a Chief. :p
Don't lie. :p

KcMizzou
05-20-2007, 11:52 PM
Don't lie. :pHeh, that helps... but I'm serious.

He made some excellent points.

Said what I meant, but better than I said it. If that makes sense.

luv
05-20-2007, 11:56 PM
Said what I meant, but better than I said it. If that makes sense.
I know exactly how that feels.

Chief Faithful
05-21-2007, 01:56 PM

GROB made that statement in convincing the Chiefs not to pay Donnie Edwards what he was worth, which CP now refers to as the biggest mistake he made.

If I was a Raiders fan I would be telling everyone LB is an overrated position.

Chief Faithful
05-21-2007, 01:58 PM

I've also heard coaches that believe in cover 2 say just the opposite.

GoHuge
05-21-2007, 02:13 PM
The fact that he may have a good D-line in front of him may help. That and the fact he'll be playing with Nap and Donnie Edwards should be really good for him. This will be a good year for him.

Chiefless
05-21-2007, 02:18 PM
He made a couple plays on screens last year that were inhuman. I mean, plays rarely seen in the NFL at ALL, let alone the chiefs. I say he is something more than solid...

noa
05-21-2007, 02:38 PM
I am glad that I own a Derrick Johnson jersey. I think that will be a good jersey to have for years to come.

OctoberFart
05-22-2007, 11:52 AM
I've also heard coaches that believe in cover 2 say just the opposite.

Okay tell me why Colts don't keep their LB's and what round do they usually draft them in?

All I'm saying is LB's are overrated coming out of college and you can find great LB's other than first round.

OctoberFart
05-22-2007, 11:55 AM
huh?

Go tell that to Bill Belichek.

Go back and read my post where I mentioned OLB/DE hybrids in a 3-4. Look at the rounds Belichek has drafted LB's vs DL. You do realize they start 3 1st round DL and only 1 LB in a washed up Seau. Bottomline is you don't take LB's in the top 20 picks unless they are great pass rushers.