PDA

View Full Version : Electronics AT&T Uverse

rageeumr
05-20-2007, 01:43 PM
Does anybody have the new AT&T Uverse service? Signs for it have been popping up in my neighbors' yards.

I have Comcast at the moment, and I am becoming increasingly frustrated with them. My monthly bill keeps creeping up and I really don't have that extravagent of a package.

The thing that had always kept me with cable are my perceived reliability issues with dish services (bad weather outages and such), but as of late my HD channels are sketchy at best, at least once a week I miss a program that I have set to record and there is an HD outage that night.

There aren't a ton of online reviews for Uverse, and they seem to be mixed. The main bitches are picture quality and (again) reliability. Opinions?

01-13-2009, 10:49 PM
Somebody explain to me why this service is not available at my house even though I have ATT DSL and yet two people I know that live on opposite sides of town from me can get it.

morphius
01-13-2009, 10:54 PM
because first they have to get a new big box in your neighborhood, they are a lot bigger than what is currently near your house.

bishop_74
01-13-2009, 10:54 PM
Somebody explain to me why this service is not available at my house even though I have ATT DSL and yet two people I know that live on opposite sides of town from me can get it.

Damn boy... don't you know nuthin about telecom????

:)

ChiefsCountry
01-13-2009, 10:55 PM
My friend has it in Houston and its pretty good. Its like Directtv but cable, very cool. I liked it alot.

morphius
01-13-2009, 10:57 PM
My friend has it in Houston and its pretty good. Its like Directtv but cable, very cool. I liked it alot.
I'm watching it right now. It does have some occasional bugs, but keeps getting better.

T-post Tom
01-13-2009, 11:04 PM
HD picture is lacking. Bandwith issues.

lazepoo
01-13-2009, 11:05 PM
Some former co-workers had it and had no complaints. Of course, they foamed at the mouth with Comcast-fueled hatred, so they might not be impartial judges, but they seemed very happy on the whole. The worst that happens is U-verse sucks and you switch back at a low introductory rate in a year or so, so I would try it out.

01-13-2009, 11:07 PM
Damn boy... don't you know nuthin about telecom????

:)Hence why I am asking the question.:p

Phobia
01-13-2009, 11:07 PM
HD quality is poor and their DVR is really limited in terms of functionality. They can record up to 4 channels at once but other than that factor they're vastly inferior to any other DVR out there. The internet version of uverse is speed and reliable - much better than comcast but their tv side was so bad we dumped them inside of 3 days.

Sandyskc
01-13-2009, 11:13 PM
I've had it for over a year and I'm pretty happy with it.

bishop_74
01-13-2009, 11:14 PM
Hence why I am asking the question.:p

Don't mind me... I'm drunk and think I know everything.

TJR1486
01-13-2009, 11:23 PM
my parents have it, and the only complaint i have about it over comcast is that they dont color code the programs(like sports, movies, etc.). From the limited experience with it i havent seen how you can view just sports or movies. So its annoying when you are bored and just trying to find something good to watch.

Scorp
01-13-2009, 11:35 PM
Don't mind me... I'm drunk and think I know everything.

I call bullshit, when you are drunk you don't think you know everything. You KNOW you know everything.

bishop_74
01-13-2009, 11:40 PM
I call bullshit, when you are drunk you don't think you know everything. You KNOW you know everything.

OK... it's ludes.... are we halping answer any questions for you guys?

mikeyis4dcats.
01-14-2009, 08:10 AM
I priced Uverse for a comparable package to what I have with Cox now.

Cox $134/mo all in.

AT&T $194/mo PLUS taxes.

jjjayb
01-14-2009, 08:14 AM
I cancelled it less than 2 weeks after I had it installed. The HD was horrible. I'd say it's the youtube of HD. Very compressed. Any movement on the screen makes it go back to looking lo-def. Detail would pop in and out and it drove me nuts.

Soupnazi
01-14-2009, 08:24 AM
I've had good luck with it so far. Like others, I got sick of comcast raising my bill each month, and I'd had enough of replacing HD boxes once a month. I got about the same amount of channels overall, more HD channels, and DVR (which I didn't have before) for a total savings of about $50 per month.

Thus far it's more reliable than Comcast, and my internet service is much better than Comcast. I have yet to notice any picture quality issues, but my house is pretty new still. From what I understand, the type of phone line installed in the house influences picture quality.

kepp
01-14-2009, 08:46 AM
I have Dish Network and have only experienced one, maybe two, weather-related outages. It's really not that big of a deal. If you're really worried about it, buy a $50 multi-directional antennae and run it to your TV and you'll be able to get local channels if your satellite goes out because of the weather. Also, their HD quality/selection is great...have never had a problem with outages.

morphius
01-14-2009, 09:04 AM
I priced Uverse for a comparable package to what I have with Cox now.

Cox $134/mo all in.

AT&T $194/mo PLUS taxes.
No fair counting in refunds Comcast gives you for when your internet service dies on you :D

Deberg_1990
01-14-2009, 09:55 AM
HD quality is poor and their DVR is really limited in terms of functionality. They can record up to 4 channels at once but other than that factor they're vastly inferior to any other DVR out there. The internet version of uverse is speed and reliable - much better than comcast but their tv side was so bad we dumped them inside of 3 days.

I still have it and they have made some upgrades.

They have two HD Streams now and also Total Home DVR which is cool.

Basically you have one DVR in the house, but you can watch recorded programs off of it from any other box in the home.

mikeyis4dcats.
01-14-2009, 10:52 AM
No fair counting in refunds Comcast gives you for when your internet service dies on you :D

what are you talking about??

Demonpenz
01-14-2009, 10:56 AM
Do you need an extra box for them for the change over to digital feburary?

SLAG
01-14-2009, 11:13 AM
Do you need an extra box for them for the change over to digital feburary?

No you dont

I have had them for a little while
but I think i am going to cancel it and not get any TV service, instead use the money first to build a nice MythTV box but then save the $$ spent on TV for some FTA Satellite

morphius
01-14-2009, 11:18 AM
what are you talking about??
It was a joke about having to call and get them to discount your bill for every time their internet service just blew up.

Fat Elvis
01-14-2009, 11:20 AM
I have Dish Network and have only experienced one, maybe two, weather-related outages. It's really not that big of a deal. If you're really worried about it, buy a $50 multi-directional antennae and run it to your TV and you'll be able to get local channels if your satellite goes out because of the weather. Also, their HD quality/selection is great...have never had a problem with outages.

Yeah, but with satellite service you also have the disadvantage of having Skip living under your porch; I think I'll pony up the extra dough for cable....

mikeyis4dcats.
01-14-2009, 04:11 PM
It was a joke about having to call and get them to discount your bill for every time their internet service just blew up.

I have Cox, not Comcast. And in 7 or more years of having Cox HSI, I've probably been without service less than 3 days.

arrowheadnation
01-14-2009, 04:44 PM
My parents got it and by the end of the 2nd week, my dad had returned the boxes and called Cox to set up a re-install date. HD was great when everything was still, but when things were moving fast on the screen...aka ballgames, the picture broke into a boxy looking grid. Plus, like mikey said, cox is a little cheaper.

SLAG
01-14-2009, 05:32 PM
I cancelled it on my lunch today

MythTV thread anyone?

01-14-2009, 05:35 PM
MythTV isn't Cox or Uverse.

SLAG
01-14-2009, 05:40 PM
MythTV isn't Cox or Uverse.

No but I can get MythTV to use an RSS reader and automagically download the TV show off of torrent sites with minimal work on my part

01-14-2009, 05:43 PM
No but I can get MythTV to use an RSS reader and automagically download the TV show off of torrent sites with minimal work on my partI wouldn't mind torrents so much if I didn't feel like I had to upload to 100% share ratio.

SLAG
01-14-2009, 05:48 PM
I wouldn't mind torrents so much if I didn't feel like I had to upload to 100% share ratio.

That is your personal feeling i suppose-
Mine stays around 80% with zero effort on my part and thats good enough for me

01-14-2009, 05:50 PM
That is your personal feeling i suppose-
Mine stays around 80% with zero effort on my part and thats good enough for meMy upload is only aroudn 314 so it takes too damned long to upload programs.

SLAG
01-14-2009, 05:59 PM
ok after further discussion boxee or xbmc may be the way I go

morphius
01-14-2009, 06:02 PM
I have Cox, not Comcast. And in 7 or more years of having Cox HSI, I've probably been without service less than 3 days.
I read wrong, my bad. I haven't been impressed with my families who have Cox, but they are just getting extended basic and not digital.

As for the pixelation issue with uverse I'm running mine over cat5 now and don't seem to have that.