PDA

View Full Version : Scam artist or legitimate man in need?

Hammock Parties
05-21-2007, 01:03 AM
Last week I was getting into my car at Wal-Mart and some dude approached me as I started the ignition. He said he had driven down here all the way from Orange, Texas (about 300 miles away) so he could take his wife in for surgery. He said he needed $200 to have enough to pay for the operation, and could I give him any money, any at all?

Whether it was true or not didn't matter to me. I wasn't taking any chances and told him no and drove off. Maybe a dick thing to do but you never know. I was a little scared he was going to pull a gun on me right there since he was right in my face at the window. I shouldn't have rolled it down.

Anyone heard of any scams that start this way?

BigMeatballDave
05-21-2007, 01:04 AM
Probably a scam. Either way, I'd have done the same...

luv
05-21-2007, 01:06 AM
Scam. No way I would roll down my window if some stranger was approaching my car either, but I'm a chick.

Phobia
05-21-2007, 01:08 AM
Surgery for $200? Was he getting her fixed at the vet?

Hammock Parties
What struck me was that he didn't approach until after I had started the car. Made me think it may have been an attempt to get me out of the driver's seat so he could punch me in the balls and drive off.

Hammock Parties
Surgery for $200? Was he getting her fixed at the vet?

He made it sound like he had most of the money already, he just needed a little extra to pay for it.

Phobia
05-21-2007, 01:10 AM
Those things are scams about 99% of the time. They'll take your money and invest in nose candy.

ClevelandBronco
05-21-2007, 01:11 AM
Scam, but you could have laid a 5 spot on the guy.

There's no way he was armed, or he wouldn't have bothered with that set up. If he wanted to take you for everything you had or could get, he'd have talked the "sick" wife into your car for a ride, then he'd have pulled his piece, taken what you had on hand and suggested a drive to your local ATM for an additional taste.

Relax. You drove away from a situation that wasn't threatening at all. You're almost a hero.

luv
05-21-2007, 01:15 AM
Scam, but you could have laid a 5 spot on the guy.

There's no way he was armed, or he wouldn't have bothered with that set up. If he wanted to take you for everything you had or could get, he'd have talked the "sick" wife into your car for a ride, then he'd have pulled his piece, taken what you had on hand and suggested a drive to your local ATM for an additional taste.

Relax. You drove away from a situation that wasn't threatening at all. You're almost a hero.
I wouldn't even have rolled down my window, much less given him any kind of money. And I live in the buckle of the Bible Belt.

jidar
05-21-2007, 01:33 AM
dumbest ****ing scam I've ever heard. In fact, you asking if it was a scam is kind of dumb too. $200 cash for his wifes operation? He's not going to pay for her operation at the hospital cash register, come on.

Saggysack
05-21-2007, 01:35 AM
Crackhead

ChiefJustice
05-21-2007, 01:45 AM
Jeez.Some random person asks you to give them 200 dollars and you have to wonder?

If the guy had said the money was for a cod piece
to complete his vintage Stormtrooper costume...you,my friend,would be 200 dollars poorer today.

luv
05-21-2007, 01:49 AM
If the dude was worth giving money to, he wouldn't be in a Wal-Mart parking lot asking for it.

cdcox
05-21-2007, 02:07 AM
About two year ago, this guy approaches me with a sob story about how his family was in town so a relative could have surgery at the hospital. They didn't have any money on them, but his brother was wiring him money in the morning. His son (at the hospital, not with the man) was hungry and the man was looking for a hand out to buy his son some food. I figured it was a scam, but not a very compelling one. But rather than just say that I can't help today I came up with this gem:

"It's not like he's going to die if he doesn't get something to eat before morning."

The guy got kind of pissed and told me I better get out of there before he lost his temper.

kcxiv
05-21-2007, 02:17 AM
Yeah, probably a scam, Though i have seen people need money for real reasons that do that, but more likely then not, its a scam.

People mostly do it outside of stores n what not. I was approached outside resutrant, i just bought the dude a meal. lol Said have fun. lol

trndobrd
05-21-2007, 02:59 AM
I've been approached on multiple occasions. Being the kind hearted individual that I am, I always want to help....

Woman approached me at a gas station, needed "a few dollars for gas" because she had driven in from out of town to visit a sick aunt or something. Presto. Pulled out the gas can from the back of my truck. "Where's your car at?" She just mumbled and walked away.

Guy at McDonalds needs $10 to tow his girlfriend's car. It cost $70 and they had $60 and, of course, don't know anyone since they are out of town. "Hey man, that's tough, but tonight is your lucky night. I'll get my Bronco and tow chains and save you $70, no problem. Where is the car?" Apparently the car was 3 miles away and had front end problems which prevented it from being towed. I offered to call a friend of mine who operates a towing service. My helpfulness was completely unappreciated.

stumppy
05-21-2007, 04:11 AM
If the dude was worth giving money to, he wouldn't be in a Wal-Mart parking lot asking for it.

:spock::huh:

Fishpicker
05-21-2007, 04:37 AM
I had one lady give me a sob story like that regarding her son. she said she needed $70 for bus fare. when I told her I didnt have any cash, she asked me if she could use my ATM card. She approached me in the parking lot of a bar. 3 hours later when I left the bar, my friend pointed her out to me. she was sitting on a stool at the bar, wearing different clothes (something more appropriate for going out) and sipping on something in a martini glass.

Mile High Mania
05-21-2007, 05:03 AM
Nearly 10 out of 10 times ... when someone randomly approaches you needing X amount of money for something like this, they're never from "around here" and it's a scam.

If it was truly an emergency... you find ways to get that shit done aside from walking around a Wal-Mart parking lot.

Kerberos
05-21-2007, 05:12 AM
Crackhead

My 1st thought as well.

People come up to me and ask for money I give them the address to the nearest JOB SERVICE CENTER or ManPower office.

GET A ****ing Job. :cuss: :cuss:

Mile High Mania
05-21-2007, 05:27 AM
I just say "Sorry, no cash on me" and keep walking.

Kerberos
05-21-2007, 05:31 AM
I just say "Sorry, no cash on me" and keep walking.

I have physically given the address to manpower to someone asking for money and told them to go there and they could help them get some money.

Dude was like KEWL man ... Thanks for the tip. Bet he was pissed when he walked a few miles to find that waiting for him.

:D

chagrin
05-21-2007, 05:40 AM
Scam, this happens all the time down here. Even in the small town where I went to College - Charity hospitals are everywhere now, he could have used one.

Saulbadguy
05-21-2007, 06:07 AM
He wanted to buy drugs.

Bugeater
05-21-2007, 06:29 AM
Shit like that pisses me off, I would've notified W-M management what he was doing in their parking lot. Now whether they would do anything about it, who knows, but I know I sure as hell wouldn't want anyone harassing my customers like that. Get a job you lazy ****ing slob.

Bwana
05-21-2007, 07:20 AM
Scam

We have some bum that has been working the same corner for over a year "trying to get the money for a bus ticket." Dude looks like the second coming of Cornel Sanders and has two little flags waiving in his sign. Please.................The guy likely clears over 60k a year in this town.

As for the guy coming up to your car in the side of Walmart, I would have just drove off but had my hand on the 10mm Glock just in case. You never know what you're getting into when someone comes up to your car like that. I had a guy try to pull out a knife under similar conditions.

Simply Red
05-21-2007, 07:29 AM
crack/meth addict.

munkey
05-21-2007, 08:19 AM
Woman approached me at a gas station, needed "a few dollars for gas" because she had driven in from out of town to visit a sick aunt or something. Presto. Pulled out the gas can from the back of my truck. "Where's your car at?" She just mumbled and walked away.

Classic...

I did that to a guy I knew with a hardcore drinking problem...When I offered to go to the station and fill up his car he pretty much did the same thing and went to his parents for money.

Redrum_69
05-21-2007, 08:24 AM
Hes either a fan of your writing or an over-zealous WPI wannabe

Deberg_1990
05-21-2007, 08:27 AM
No scam at all. Im sure it was just a proper upstanding citizen of this country in need. Next time, please help out a brother in need....

Thig Lyfe
05-21-2007, 08:28 AM
One time a guy in downtown Chicago asked me for a quarter so he could pay his rent.

Kerberos
05-21-2007, 08:29 AM
I remember about 10+ years ago on 20/20 IIRC had a special on a begger in NY or Boston (can't remember which) that would sit right on or near the same median in the middle of town EVERYDAY 6 days a week and beg for money. They showed him begging everyday from around 8am till around 6pm.

At the end of the week they decided to follow him when he got up and left.

He picked up his chair and his hobo sack and walked 6 blocks to a parking garage and when he pulled out he was in a 2 year old BMW and drove to a decent neighborhood to a $200,000 home.

The F***er begged on a street 6 days a week and made a better living than I do working 5-6 days a week working 10+ hours overtime. :cuss:

That shit really pissed me off. Not that he makes more but the fact it is POSSIBLE.

:shake:

cdcox
05-21-2007, 08:30 AM
One time a guy hit me up for money for gas because he had a desperate need to drive across the state. He was actually driving a car. I offered to fill him up. After a gallon or two he says, that's enough. Apparently he didn't want to try pulling this scam with a full tank of gas.

Another time, a guy wanted money for food for his kids. I offered to meet him at a nearby grocery store and buy him some food. He met me at the store and I bought probably $25 worth of groceries for him. So once in a while you find someone who's story might be legit.

crazycoffey
05-21-2007, 08:33 AM
I'd say scam.....

or a terrible planner, schedule surgery and not be able to pay for it, so plan B; ask a random weird fat dude in a little pinto for pocket change?

:p Hehe

Phobia
05-21-2007, 09:33 AM
I've said it 100x on this site but it bears repeating....

Whenever I get one of these strange people approaching me, they usually start their speil with "Can I ask you a wild question" or something of that sort .... so I respond, "as soon as you answer my question". Heh. They say okay and I ask them for any pocket change or money they could spare - anything at all....

It usually makes them laugh and they go after their next mark without bothering me any longer. It's certainly better than getting angry about it and talking shitty to the bums.

crazycoffey
05-21-2007, 09:43 AM
I've said it 100x on this site but it bears repeating....

Whenever I get one of these strange people approaching me, they usually start their speil with "Can I ask you a wild question" or something of that sort .... so I respond, "as soon as you answer my question". Heh. They say okay and I ask them for any pocket change or money they could spare - anything at all....

It usually makes them laugh and they go after their next mark without bothering me any longer. It's certainly better than getting angry about it and talking shitty to the bums.

That's a good one. :LOL:

I usually say no, like GoChiefs did, but one time I thought he tried a different approach. Needed money to get cloths so he could get a job. I took him into target and bought him a 12 dollar pair of shoes. Nice looking ones that could be worn in several situations. I kept the reciept, box and tags. Gave him the shoes and wished him well. I even told him before we went in I wasn't going to let him keep the reciept, box or tags.....

I really figured he wouldn't go into the store with me, but he either played along or he really needed the shoes.

InChiefsHell
05-21-2007, 09:46 AM
Years ago I was driving cross country to Arizona to pick up a buddy of mine from college. ON the way back, we pulled into a rest stop. On the restroom door was a sign saying "Have wife and 2 kids and need gas money to get to Alberquerque. Driving a blue Chevy station wagon. Any help would be appreciated. God Bless." Well, I walked outside and saw the car...indeed there was a woman and 2 kids sitting in the car and a man sitting on the hood. He did not look happy at all. I figured, well, if this is a scam then he's going to hell not me. I gave him 10.00, which was all I could really give him because I still had to get back to Omaha, and me and my buddy were on a pretty tight budget. Then I offered a pop out of my cooler for the kids, which he declined saying "No, believe it or not we have food. We just didn't have enough cash for gas..."

I figured that one was probably legit.

vailpass
05-21-2007, 09:46 AM
The rule in the city: never make eye contact with beggars. They think you are a mark if you look at them.
F 'em, and F anybody that comes up to beg for money.

MOhillbilly
05-21-2007, 09:53 AM
ofcourse it was a scam.

DUH.

The Franchise
05-21-2007, 10:04 AM
I had a bum come up to myself and a buddy at a Starbucks down in Tucson AZ. The guy rolled up on a bike and asked us if he had any money for gas so he could get back home. I looked at him...and assured him that bikes don't take gas and that if he pedaled hard enough...he'd make it there. He gave me a dumb look...laughed and rode away. I think maybe he was just crazy....

Frosty
05-21-2007, 10:46 AM
When I was in Salem last March, I was coming out of a Stop-n-Rob and a guy walked up to me with this huge pair of bolt cutters over his shoulders. Told me he was trying to raise money for nasal surgery and would make me a great deal on his last possession in the world - his bolt cutters. I told him that they were really nice bolt cutters but I didn't need any because I already had some, plus I don't carry cash (which is true - debit cards rule), so he would have better luck with someone else.

Then I got to explain to my two boys who were watching this wide-eyed from our car that the guy was obviously a meth-head and the cutters were probably stolen out the back of some contractor's truck.

MOhillbilly
05-21-2007, 11:15 AM
acouple years back a guy told me he needed 35c to make his bus fair so he could get across town to purchase a car.

InChiefsHell
05-21-2007, 11:18 AM
acouple years back a guy told me he needed 35c to make his bus fair so he could get across town to purchase a car.

ROFL

Well, I'm sure he planned to write a check for the car...

Mile High Mania
05-21-2007, 11:20 AM
I remember about 10+ years ago on 20/20 IIRC had a special on a begger in NY or Boston (can't remember which) that would sit right on or near the same median in the middle of town EVERYDAY 6 days a week and beg for money. They showed him begging everyday from around 8am till around 6pm.

At the end of the week they decided to follow him when he got up and left.

He picked up his chair and his hobo sack and walked 6 blocks to a parking garage and when he pulled out he was in a 2 year old BMW and drove to a decent neighborhood to a $200,000 home.

The F***er begged on a street 6 days a week and made a better living than I do working 5-6 days a week working 10+ hours overtime. :cuss:

That shit really pissed me off. Not that he makes more but the fact it is POSSIBLE.

:shake:

Give his gig a try and see what happens...

88TG88
05-21-2007, 11:55 AM
I've never had any of these experiences you guys have. Whenever bums ask me for money they say straight up "I need beer" or "Got any meth ?"
Maybe its just me.

Kerberos
05-21-2007, 12:17 PM
Give his gig a try and see what happens...

I live in a town of 20,000 people. I couldn't get credit on a free lunch here.

I firmly believe that one would have to live in a metropolis to make that kind of $.

:shrug: