PDA

View Full Version : Lamar Hunt to be Honored By Congress Today

Arrowhead Pride
05-21-2007, 08:39 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/05/21/lamar_hunt_honored_in_washington_today/

Congressman Emanuel Cleaver will introduce a resolution today before the U.S. House of Representatives “Honoring the Life of Lamar Hunt.”

The late Mr. Hunt’s son, Clark Hunt, who serves as Chairman of the Board of the Kansas City Chiefs, will represent his family in special ceremonies in Washington, DC. Also in attendance will be Willie Lanier, a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame and a former Chiefs linebacker, Troy Vincent, NFL Players Association president, and members of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas congressional delegations. House majority leader Steny Hoyer is expected to co-present a copy of the bill to Hunt family.

“The Kansas City Chiefs thank our good friend, U.S. Representative Emanuel Cleaver, the former mayor of Kansas City, for spearheading the House of Representatives resolution recognizing the life of Lamar Hunt and his outstanding contributions to Kansas City, the National Football League and the United States,” said Carl Peterson, Chiefs president, upon hearing the news.

“Representative Cleaver and thousands of other Chiefs fans knew Lamar very well. We sincerely appreciate the congressman’s efforts in the United States Congress to provide this fitting honor to our Founder.”

Congressman Cleaver will host a reception in the House Financial Services Committee hearing room located in the Rayburn Office Building beginning at 5:30 PM.

The bill even mentions Worlds AND Oceans of fun. Check out the full text of the bill:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=hr110-53

cmh6476
05-21-2007, 12:53 PM
this is kinda disappointing:

Cosponsors
Rep. Todd Akin [R-MO]
Rep. Robert Andrews [D-NJ]
Rep. Melissa Bean [D-IL]
Rep. Robert Berry [D-AR]
Rep. Sanford Bishop [D-GA]
Rep. Nancy Boyda [D-KS]
Rep. George Butterfield [D-NC]
Rep. Russ Carnahan [D-MO]
Rep. Julia Carson [D-IN]
Rep. Yvette Clarke [D-NY]
Rep. William Clay [D-MO]
Rep. Steve Cohen [D-TN]
Rep. Henry Cuellar [D-TX]
Rep. Elijah Cummings [D-MD]
Rep. Artur Davis [D-AL]
Rep. Danny Davis [D-IL]
Rep. Lincoln Davis [D-TN]
Rep. Lloyd Doggett [D-TX]
Rep. Keith Ellison [D-MN]
Rep. Jo Ann Emerson [R-MO]
Rep. Louis Gohmert [R-TX]
Rep. Samuel Graves [R-MO]
Rep. Al Green [D-TX]
Rep. Raymond Green [D-TX]
Rep. Luis Gutiérrez [D-IL]
Rep. Phil Hare [D-IL]
Rep. Jeb Hensarling [R-TX]
Rep. Kenny Hulshof [R-MO]
Rep. Sheila Jackson-Lee [D-TX]
Rep. William Jefferson [D-LA]
Rep. Eddie Johnson [D-TX]
Rep. Stephanie Jones [D-OH]
Rep. Carolyn Kilpatrick [D-MI]
Rep. Jack Kingston [R-GA]
Rep. Ron Klein [D-FL]
Rep. Stephen Lynch [D-MA]
Rep. Tim Mahoney [D-FL]
Rep. Dennis Moore [D-KS]
Rep. Gwen Moore [D-WI]
Rep. Jerry Moran [R-KS]
Del. Eleanor Norton [D-DC]
Rep. Ted Poe [R-TX]
Rep. David Scott [D-GA]
Rep. Robert Scott [D-VA]
Rep. Brad Sherman [D-CA]
Rep. Albio Sires [D-NJ]
Rep. Ike Skelton [D-MO]
Rep. Edolphus Towns [D-NY]
Rep. Maxine Waters [D-CA]
Rep. Melvin Watt [D-NC]
Rep. Charles Wilson [D-OH]
Rep. Albert Wynn [D-MD]
Cosponsorship information sometimes is out of date

lamar was a republican, yet look at all those dems co-sponsoring this :p

convict1983
05-21-2007, 12:54 PM
That is good news. Thanks for the heads up!

Manila-Chief
05-22-2007, 10:54 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/117198.html

The last paragraph of the article in the Star today says:

"In 1972, Hunt was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. Twelve years later, the American Football Conference created the Lamar Hunt Trophy, given annually to the conference champion."

My thoughts were, "and he was not able to hold up the trophy himself. Course he is partly to blame by not demanding C.P. produce a winner.

Simplex3
05-22-2007, 11:22 AM
*yawn*

1. Congress "honors" tons of dipshits every year, cheapening the few that deserve to be.

2. Lamar didn't exactly change America.

Bob Dole
05-22-2007, 11:39 AM
*yawn*

1. Congress "honors" tons of dipshits every year, cheapening the few that deserve to be.

You're right. The NFL isn't a multimillion dollar corporate entity that has any economic impact anywhere. :rolleyes:

Simplex3
05-22-2007, 11:45 AM
You're right. The NFL isn't a multimillion dollar corporate entity that has any economic impact anywhere. :rolleyes:
So Lamar can be credited with a league who, while wildly profitable, has managed to find a way to suck off the govt tit?

I'm not saying the guy wasn't a credit to the NFL, but I don't see where he had some great impact on society as a whole.

Now, he's probably 1,000 times more deserving than most of the useless tools and high school kids that will be getting honored by Congress this year.

Bob Dole
05-22-2007, 11:56 AM
So Lamar can be credited with a league who, while wildly profitable, has managed to find a way to suck off the govt tit?

I'm not saying the guy wasn't a credit to the NFL, but I don't see where he had some great impact on society as a whole.

Now, he's probably 1,000 times more deserving than most of the useless tools and high school kids that will be getting honored by Congress this year.

You're absolutely right again. Mr. Hunt had no impact on the league, and the NFL has absolutely no impact whatsoever on society.

Are you really that ****ing dim?

Simplex3
05-22-2007, 01:41 PM
You're absolutely right again. Mr. Hunt had no impact on the league, and the NFL has absolutely no impact whatsoever on society.

Are you really that ****ing dim?
Is your instant rage over someone not sucking Lamar's d**k clouding your reading comprehension? I said he DID have an impact on the league. As for the NFL's positive contribution to society as a whole: as a football fan your view may just be a little skewed.

The NFL hasn't kept us out of a war, it hasn't saved any lives, it hasn't fed the hungry or stopped crime. It isn't altruistic. It's a very successful business and a passtime. Being part of creating a successful business is hardly sacrificing one's self for the good of all.

DenverChief
05-22-2007, 03:58 PM
Very cool

Bob Dole
05-22-2007, 05:00 PM
Is your instant rage over someone not sucking Lamar's d**k clouding your reading comprehension? I said he DID have an impact on the league. As for the NFL's positive contribution to society as a whole: as a football fan your view may just be a little skewed.

The NFL hasn't kept us out of a war, it hasn't saved any lives, it hasn't fed the hungry or stopped crime. It isn't altruistic. It's a very successful business and a passtime. Being part of creating a successful business is hardly sacrificing one's self for the good of all.

Who said anything about altruism? You stated that he "had no impact on society as a whole."

Bob Dole would suggest that the hundreds of thousands of people who attend games, secure lodging, eat out, buy groceries for the tailgate, subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket, buy millions of dollars in merchandise, etc constitute a significant "impact on society", since they wouldn't likely be doing ANY of that shit on a Sunday in the middle of the damned winter were it not for the success of the NFL.

Unless you're some sort of hippie who believes that nothing is accomplished unless it includes a hug.

cmh6476
05-22-2007, 05:14 PM
not only that, but the United Way wouldnt be what it is today if it weren't for lamar hunt and the nfl as well as various other service organizations :shrug:

stevieray
05-22-2007, 05:15 PM
*yawn*

I'd bet that Willie Lanier and Bobby Bell don't feel that way.

Mosbonian
05-22-2007, 05:44 PM
I'd bet that Willie Lanier and Bobby Bell don't feel that way.

I believe that what you are trying to express will be lost on Simplex.

I am sure that, given the time to do so, it would be easy to find ways in which Lamar contributed and gave back to his community and did so in a very unassuming way.

To downplay Lamar's contribution to our society shows a true lack of understanding of his life.

mmaddog

Bob Dole
05-22-2007, 06:04 PM
To downplay Lamar's contribution to our society shows a true lack of understanding of his life.

Or reality...