PDA

View Full Version : Holy CRAP! This car is TITS! I NEED one!

Silock
05-21-2007, 09:45 AM
It's no GM or Toyota, but DAMN if it isn't hot.

The 2008 Infiniti G37 Coupe is the first car to use Nissan's new 3.7-liter V-6. Infiniti still hasn't finalized peak output ratings, but estimates that the engine makes 330 horsepower and 270 lb-ft of torque.
The new VQ37VHR engine, as it's called, is the first V-6 sold in the USA to use infinitely variable valve timing in place of a throttle. This system, called VVEL, is the second such system on the market -- BMW's Valvetronic was the first.
We discussed the new engine in depth in previous articles on the G37 (see related links below) so let's cut right to the chase: The new 3.7-liter is only 5.6 percent larger than the old engine, but made almost 22 percent more power on a chassis dynamometer.

We tested the 2007 G35 Coupe 6MT on the same dyno a few months back. When attached to the six-speed manual transmission, its 3.5-liter is rated at 293 hp @ 6400 rpm and 258 lb-ft @ 4800 rpm. Its power peak is very close to the 6600-rpm fuel cutoff - this is an engine that loves to rev. Looking at the dyno chart, you can see that it comes alive just over 2000 rpm and produces a fairly constant amount of torque until just over 5000 rpm. Torque (and the corresponding push in your rear) drops off only slightly, as the engine is still producing over 85% of its peak torque at redline. Impressive indeed.

The G37's engine, however, blows that performance away. It's rated 37 horsepower higher, but the G37 we tested put 51 more horses to the rear wheels. Since this was measured on a chassis dyno, we can't know for sure how much of that increase is due to higher engine output versus lower driveline losses. However, since the drivelines are similar, we'd guess nearly all of this increase is brute force from the new motor. Think about it this way: If frictional losses are a constant percentage, you'd have to add 63 horsepower to the G35's engine to make it put 51 more to its wheels. This is a big, big jump in power.

The best news is that Infiniti wasn't exaggerating about its other claims: the new 3.7-liter is stronger than the 3.5 both at low revs and high revs. Its torque curve is flatter, too. Throttle response (if you can say that about a car without a throttle) is instantaneous, the 3.5's coarseness has been tamed, and I got an indicated 27 mpg - with the air conditioning switched on at 80 mph - on the way back from the dyno shop. So if there's any drawback to VVEL, we haven't seen it.

See the dyno charts for more information, and be sure to check out the videos to hear the G37 at full bore.

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/0705_c+2008_infiniti_g37+dyno_chart.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x141/InfinitiMichael/BlueSlateother34.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x141/InfinitiMichael/BlueSlaterear34.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n30/slikster2006/final.jpg

NJ Chief Fan
05-21-2007, 09:47 AM
I love Infiniti. I must have this car!

Simply Red
05-21-2007, 09:48 AM
That is very nice.

You should see the new Audi S-8 (just re-realeased in the states) It is a V10 and starts at 109,000.00 It is truly sick nice.

Silock
05-21-2007, 09:49 AM
That is very nice.

You should see the new Audi S-8 (just re-realeased in the states) It is a V10 and starts at 109,000.00 It is truly sick nice.

Yeah, but instead of half a house, this car is somewhat within the realm of possibility.

BigMeatballDave
05-21-2007, 09:49 AM
I think I like that Nissan Skyline, at the botton, a little more...

Silock
05-21-2007, 09:50 AM
It's the same car, just a different color.

Simply Red
05-21-2007, 09:50 AM
Yeah, but instead of half a house, this car is somewhat within the realm of possibility.
I understand and agree w/ the half o hs. :)

BigMeatballDave
05-21-2007, 09:58 AM
It's the same car, just a different color.Yeah, they look nearly identical. The Nissan may be a bit less due to the brand names.

NJ Chief Fan
05-21-2007, 09:58 AM
That is very nice.

Ive had an Infiniti and currently have an Audi, and I prefer Infinitis.

BigMeatballDave
05-21-2007, 10:09 AM
http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2008/2008-Nissan-Skyline-Coupe-Front-And-Side-1280x960.jpg

Radar Chief
05-21-2007, 10:20 AM
I’d be interested in the technical specifics of what they mean by “throttle-less” and “infinitely variable valve timing”.
If anyone has a link to an article on it, I’d enjoy reading it.

Silock
05-21-2007, 10:26 AM
Yeah, they look nearly identical. The Nissan may be a bit less due to the brand names.

No, they actually ARE identical. It's the Skyline in Japan and the G37 here :)

EDIT: NM, you're talking about the skin, not the tech specifics. I'm retarded.

BigMeatballDave
05-21-2007, 10:30 AM
I’d be interested in the technical specifics of what they mean by “throttle-less” and “infinitely variable valve timing”.
If anyone has a link to an article on it, I’d enjoy reading it.http://cpl.usc.edu/throttleless/

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/01/new-york-preview-nissan-to-introduce-new-variable-valve-timing/

BigMeatballDave
05-21-2007, 10:32 AM
No, they actually ARE identical. It's the Skyline in Japan and the G37 here :)

EDIT: NM, you're talking about the skin, not the tech specifics. I'm retarded.Yeah, the Skyline is not availble in the US. Why is that?

Eleazar
05-21-2007, 10:33 AM
Holy crap, how about a little downsizing on the pics

BigMeatballDave
05-21-2007, 10:34 AM
Holy crap, how about a little downsizing on the picsSorry, I'm lazy...
:)

Silock
05-21-2007, 10:34 AM
Yeah, the Skyline is not availble in the US. Why is that?

It is. It's the G37, and G35 previously. If you're talking about the GTR, then I have no idea why that isn't available. It should be.

BigMeatballDave
05-21-2007, 10:40 AM
It is. It's the G37, and G35 previously. If you're talking about the GTR, then I have no idea why that isn't available. It should be.Damn, the GTR produces 450HP. Yikes! If you check Nissan's site, they don't even list the Skyline, just the 'Z'.

Radar Chief
05-21-2007, 10:54 AM
http://cpl.usc.edu/throttleless/

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/01/new-york-preview-nissan-to-introduce-new-variable-valve-timing/

Thanks BCD, I understand what they’re talking about now.
Though, the “infinitely” part of it is a bit misleading. It’s a system that is still limited on the upper end of engine speed by the timing of the static cam, even if it can then adjust cam timing (lift, duration and overlap) down to nothing towards the lower end of engine speed.
Pretty interesting though, and not as complex as previous variable valve timing designs.

L.A. Chieffan
05-21-2007, 11:25 AM
Lexus makes a convertible right? Or is that Infiniti?

crazycoffey
05-21-2007, 11:27 AM
what a let down. I thought it was actually a titty shaped car. :(

CrazyPhuD
05-21-2007, 12:54 PM
Damn, the GTR produces 450HP. Yikes! If you check Nissan's site, they don't even list the Skyline, just the 'Z'.

Actually depending upon the model the GTR is rumored to put out 530HP at the top of the line. I think it's 450HP for the base model and 530 for the Evo with a 220lb weight reduction. I'm actually suprised the GTR is a nissan it was thought it would be an Infitiny.

BTW the GTR link on nissan's site.

Not much official info now but it goes on sale in Japan spring 2008.

http://www.nissanusa.com/gt-r/index.html

Silock
05-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Thanks BCD, I understand what they’re talking about now.
Though, the “infinitely” part of it is a bit misleading. It’s a system that is still limited on the upper end of engine speed by the timing of the static cam, even if it can then adjust cam timing (lift, duration and overlap) down to nothing towards the lower end of engine speed.
Pretty interesting though, and not as complex as previous variable valve timing designs.

It's a whole helluva lot more complex than VTEC, though.

luv
05-21-2007, 01:14 PM
I'd like it better if it was a 4-door. I'm a dork, though.

Reaper16
05-21-2007, 01:30 PM
"Don't say the car's topless, say the titties is out."

Radar Chief
05-21-2007, 01:42 PM
It's a whole helluva lot more complex than VTEC, though.

VTec, you’re talking Honda right?
IIRC, Honda’s VTec used two separated sets of cams, one mild set for slower engine speeds and one hot set for higher engine speeds, then used a solenoid to load the valve train to make the switch from one to the other while oil pressure actually set the pins that locked in a set of cams. Of course this is an oversimplification, but that is basically how it works from what I remember.
This scheme looks to have one set of cams with a DC motor that adjusts the rocker arm pivot point, or fulcrum, to adjust lift and duration. That just seems simpler to me than two separate sets of cams and switching back and forth between them, besides allowing for more variability.

Silock
05-21-2007, 02:17 PM
No, there are still only one set of cams (1 intake and 1 exhaust). They just have 2 small lobes and 1 larger lobe on them. Looks kinda like this:

_-^-_

The rockers follow the 2 lower lobes ("-" in the crude diagram) before the VTEC crossover point. After the VTEC crossover point, everything engages and the two rockers that were following the lower lobe engage with a 3rd rocker that follows the high lobe ("^" in the crude diagram). It's pretty simple in execution, even if I make it sound confusing.

The new iVTEC system allows for actual cam timing adjustment as well, using the same principles as the VTEC system.

The new system seems a lot more complicated with a lot of parts that can malfunction. That could just be because I've worked VTEC engines a lot, though, and it seems a lot simpler to me.

Radar Chief
05-21-2007, 02:38 PM
No, there are still only one set of cams (1 intake and 1 exhaust). They just have 2 small lobes and 1 larger lobe on them. Looks kinda like this:

_-^-_

The rockers follow the 2 lower lobes ("-" in the crude diagram) before the VTEC crossover point. After the VTEC crossover point, everything engages and the two rockers that were following the lower lobe engage with a 3rd rocker that follows the high lobe ("^" in the crude diagram). It's pretty simple in execution, even if I make it sound confusing.

The new iVTEC system allows for actual cam timing adjustment as well, using the same principles as the VTEC system.

The new system seems a lot more complicated with a lot of parts that can malfunction. That could just be because I've worked VTEC engines a lot, though, and it seems a lot simpler to me.

Ah, special cut cam with different sets of rockers that engage or disengage depending on engine rpms, load, yada yada. I’m with ya now.
BTW, didn’t realize you were a wrench. :thumb:

percysnow
05-21-2007, 02:43 PM
what is the start price on this. . i have the g35 right now. . and i may trade it in for the g37

COchief
05-21-2007, 03:02 PM
Without question the most beautiful auto for less than $40K out right now.

And for the dummies above:

Skyline= never available in the US.
GTR= New version of the Skyline, will be available to the US.
Skyline and G35/37 have nothing to do with each other.

Silock
05-21-2007, 04:07 PM
BTW, didn’t realize you were a wrench. :thumb:

I used to be. Not anymore, though, since I got married and my toy money dried up ROFL

dred
05-21-2007, 06:17 PM
Holy enormous image attachments Batman!

BigMeatballDave
05-22-2007, 12:26 AM
Skyline and G35/37 have nothing to do with each other.Uh, the red Nissan in post #10, IS an 2008 Nissan Skyline Coupe. It looks identical to the Infinity. Nissan makes Infinity, right? WTF are you talking about?

Silock
05-22-2007, 04:07 AM
Without question the most beautiful auto for less than $40K out right now.

Skyline= never available in the US.
GTR= New version of the Skyline, will be available to the US.
Skyline and G35/37 have nothing to do with each other.

Yes, they do. The new G37 is the Skyline in Japan. The GT-R is a kind of Skyline that won't be coming here. And no, we didn't get Skyline GT-R R34 and previous gens in the US, so you're right that those have nothing to do with the G35/G37.

Radar Chief
05-22-2007, 09:14 AM
I used to be. Not anymore, though, since I got married and my toy money dried up ROFL

Bummer. Mrs. Radar has never stood in the way of my toys, but that’s at least partially ‘cuase that’s how we met.
She says I have enough now though, next one is hers and she wants a convertible. ;)

Silock
05-22-2007, 09:18 AM
Bummer. Mrs. Radar has never stood in the way of my toys, but that’s at least partially ‘cuase that’s how we met.
She says I have enough now though, next one is hers and she wants a convertible. ;)

Hehe... I have a set of motor mount inserts and springs I need to install on my car sitting in my garage. My race header and exhaust rattle because I don't have the motor mount inserts in. I can't go back to the track until they're in. I don't have any room to install them and I absolutely refuse to pay a shop to do something so ridiculously simple. I'm trying to find a friend with a garage, tools and room to do it, but so far, no luck.

Skyy God
05-22-2007, 09:23 AM
what is the start price on this. . i have the g35 right now. . and i may trade it in for the g37

Two of my best friends (who are/will be making serious, big-firm yuppie $$) have G35s. I give them 2 years to upgrade.

Radar Chief
05-22-2007, 09:24 AM
Hehe... I have a set of motor mount inserts and springs I need to install on my car sitting in my garage. My race header and exhaust rattle because I don't have the motor mount inserts in. I can't go back to the track until they're in. I don't have any room to install them and I absolutely refuse to pay a shop to do something so ridiculously simple. I'm trying to find a friend with a garage, tools and room to do it, but so far, no luck.

If I were closer I’d offer to help, but I’m a couple of hours away from Olathe and the Corveep is holding up progress and space in my garage right now. I’ve got distributor on the way and should have it running by this weekend though.
Anyway, good luck with that, and what is your toy BTW?

Silock
05-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Hehe... no problem. Maybe one of these days I can buy you a couple of cases of beer and head down that way. I don't mind a drive. I just need to get this done.

My current toy is a 2002 Acura RSX-S. When it was bone stock, 5,000 miles on the odo, I cut a 15.2 @ 93. Not bad. I then added just a cold air intake and a reprogrammed ECU and cut a 14.238 @ 99.34. Much better, but the 60' was still crappy (2.220) because of the all-season tires. Now I've added a full race header and exhaust, and much stickier tires, and hoping that the motor mount inserts and new springs will get me somewhere in the 13s. I'd like to get solidly into the mid 13s all-motor before I start adding forced induction or nitrous.

Silock
05-22-2007, 09:39 AM
What are you doing to your car, btw? Want to buy my '72 Chevelle? It's a real fixer-upper opportunity lol

Radar Chief
05-22-2007, 10:41 AM
Hehe... no problem. Maybe one of these days I can buy you a couple of cases of beer and head down that way. I don't mind a drive. I just need to get this done.

My current toy is a 2002 Acura RSX-S. When it was bone stock, 5,000 miles on the odo, I cut a 15.2 @ 93. Not bad. I then added just a cold air intake and a reprogrammed ECU and cut a 14.238 @ 99.34. Much better, but the 60' was still crappy (2.220) because of the all-season tires. Now I've added a full race header and exhaust, and much stickier tires, and hoping that the motor mount inserts and new springs will get me somewhere in the 13s. I'd like to get solidly into the mid 13s all-motor before I start adding forced induction or nitrous.

Cool, you should post pictures in the Gear Head topic over at the Pictures forum.
I’m sure HemiEd and StevieRay would also like to see pictures of it.

Silock
05-22-2007, 10:46 AM
Will do :)

Baby Lee
05-22-2007, 10:52 AM
My dad in Belton has an engine hoist, and a 5 car garage. . . He also has like 6 cars, 5 riding mowers, 20 weedeaters, and enough tires/parts/tools to choke a horse stacked up in it.

Radar Chief
05-22-2007, 10:55 AM
What are you doing to your car, btw?

Not a car, the Corveep is an old ’60 Willys CJ-5 with a Corvette “fuely” 327 in it. It’s a continuing project that’ll probably never be “done”.
Most recently, I had a Petronix electronic ignition conversion in the stock distributor and the distributor itself shot craps on me. While in the process of trouble shooting that problem down, the rats nest for wiring became an issue, again. Instead of trying to trouble shoot and repair / jumper around the issue I decided to rip out all the old wiring and put in a new wiring harness I’ve had sitting around.
Long story short, it’s been sitting in the way for about 3 months now and I’m finally getting the last piece I need to get it running again.

But that’s not all I’ve got going on. I just got the transmission back for my ’95 Kawasaki ZX-9. I had it magna-fluxed, undercut and shot peened, just need the Corveep out of the way so I can work on it.
Then I’ve got a small boat that needs attention. I’m going to pull the auto lube injector out of the outboard and start running premix.

Want to buy my '72 Chevelle? It's a real fixer-upper opportunity lol

Mrs. Radar would kill me if I came home with another project and I couldn’t pass it off as “her toy”. She’s not interested in a muscle car, no matter how much I try to convince her otherwise. ;)
She wants a VW Karman Gia convertible, ‘cause she thinks they’re “cute”. :doh!:

ISUJeff
05-22-2007, 11:25 AM
Got the G35, absolutely love it. My co-worker (who pointed out the g35
to me initially) has a porsche and is probably gonna trade it in for the g37,
so I'm looking forward to comparing the 2.

Also, very impressed with the safety of Infinitis (although not the point
of this thread, still have to mention). Took my first one through a
guardrail and off a large bluff near the Mississippi and flew a few hundred
yards to the bottom of the valley, no one was hurt at all.
That one was my fault, young kid getting use to driving a RWD car in
the snow/ice.

With my second one, a huge public utility truck ran and red light at 40
mph and slammed directly into the passenger's side. The girl with me
somehow only had a few bruises on her arm and leg. Thank God for
side airbags and side curtain airbags.

So insane power, handling, and safety and sure the g37 will still blow it
away.