PDA

View Full Version : Royals came to their senses

cookster50
05-21-2007, 12:15 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/story/116288.html

Amphitheater cut from Kauffman Stadium plans
By KEVIN MURPHY
The Kansas City Star

The Kansas City Royals and Jackson County officials today unveiled final design plans for the renovated Kauffman Stadium that eliminate a proposed 9,500-seat amphitheater beyond left field, while adding more features for fans.

The $250 million project is to begin when the season ends in October and be completed by spring 2010.

Jackson County voters approved the renovation last year by increasing the sales tax by 3/8 of a cent. There’s no major change in the scope of the original plan, but there will be wider concourses in some sections, a kids’ play area beyond left field, and more restrooms, concessions and food outlets, and gates.

The team and Jackson County said feedback from fan focus groups indicated little support for the amphitheater, which was to be used for concerts and other events and as an overflow area for fans.

The Royals also announced they had agreed to pay the $900,000 cost of hardware, software and a control room for a video coaching system aimed at improving performance.

eazyb81
05-21-2007, 12:16 PM
From the thread title, I thought they demoted Gordon to Omaha.

cookster50
05-21-2007, 12:19 PM
But but but, he's getting good swings??????????

DaneMcCloud
05-21-2007, 12:19 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/story/116288.html

Having been to several major league ballparks, I still think that the K is one of the best (if not the best) ballpark around. I'll be curious to see how this "upgrade" affects the park.

One question though: Why does there need to be a "kids play" area? That doesn't make any sense to me.

CoMoChief
05-21-2007, 12:37 PM
KC is still one of the prettiest ballparks around. Though there needs to be out field seats at some areas. we need to get enough seats so we can hold an all star game.

cmh6476
05-21-2007, 12:42 PM
Will the stadium be 360 degrees, where you can go from left field to right field?

and are they updating the scoreboard as well, tearing out the guts and putting a new one in?

DMAC
05-21-2007, 01:02 PM
Preliminary stuff here...

http://www.maurybrown.com/?p=88

"NEW SEATING: Fountain Seats — A total of approximately 2,500 seats in the outfield corners will be added in positions currently occupied by the team bullpens. Included among the new seats will be a splash zone behind the left field fountains.
"

BigChiefFan
05-21-2007, 01:05 PM
They said everything they do will retain the feel of Kaufman and just enhance what is already there. I'm not that impressed for the amount of money they are getting.

BigChiefFan
05-21-2007, 01:09 PM
Preliminary stuff here...

http://www.maurybrown.com/?p=88

"NEW SEATING: Fountain Seats — A total of approximately 2,500 seats in the outfield corners will be added in positions currently occupied by the team bullpens. Included among the new seats will be a splash zone behind the left field fountains.
"
Good update. That shows alot more promise of things to come, than the other article.

Sure-Oz
05-21-2007, 02:19 PM
But but but, he's getting good swings??????????
2-5 yesterday with a triple and a SB

jidar
05-21-2007, 02:23 PM
If you ask me the only thing the K needs is modern plumbing. Otherwise it's a beauty of a park that I've always felt comfortable in.

KC Kings
05-21-2007, 02:25 PM
Having been to several major league ballparks, I still think that the K is one of the best (if not the best) ballpark around. I'll be curious to see how this "upgrade" affects the park.

One question though: Why does there need to be a "kids play" area? That doesn't make any sense to me.
Have you been to a game in last 5 years? The Royals suck, and most games don't pull anymore than 10,000 people. If it weren't for the Little K and play area most kids wouldn't even want to go to the K.

If anything I would be questioning the need for a "Fan overflow" area, when at 90% of games the entire upper desk is available for overflow if needed.

RJ
05-21-2007, 02:26 PM
2-5 yesterday with a triple and a SB

But would you want him on your fantasy team? :)

DaneMcCloud
05-21-2007, 02:37 PM
Have you been to a game in last 5 years? The Royals suck, and most games don't pull anymore than 10,000 people.

Yeah, I was at a game in April 2004 and watched Curtis Leskanic blow a lead to the Rangers. It was a dark, gloomy day but I still thought the K was awesome. I'm part owner in season tickets at Dodgers Stadium (4 rows up from first base) and while I enjoy the games, the stadium is pile of dung compared to the K.

It just would seem to me that if you're taking a child to the ballpark, they should be paying attention to the game. Even if the Royals "suck", the opponents still have players worth watching. I just don't get the point of even bringing a child if they're not involved in the outcome of the game.

Stewie
05-21-2007, 02:47 PM
Will the stadium be 360 degrees, where you can go from left field to right field?

and are they updating the scoreboard as well, tearing out the guts and putting a new one in?

Yes, there will be a promenade that goes around the back of the CF scoreboard that connects LF and RF.

The CF scoreboard is going to be converted to a huge hi-def video board. That should be cool.

Dartgod
05-21-2007, 02:51 PM
Yes, there will be a promenade that goes around the back of the CF scoreboard that connects LF and RF.

The CF scoreboard is going to be a huge hi-def video board. That should be cool.
Here's a pic...

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/kc/images/ballpark/rendering_promenade_500x249.jpg

More pictures here:

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/kc/ballpark/renovation_renderings.jsp

cmh6476
05-21-2007, 03:13 PM
kinda looks like they're takin out the jumbotorn from those pics...

beer bacon
05-21-2007, 03:16 PM

It looks to me like the catcher and that other ballplayer are about to make out. I don't know if I want to be a part of the brave new world that is the Renovation.

Sure-Oz
05-21-2007, 03:17 PM
But would you want him on your fantasy team? :)
ROFL

unfortunately i traded for him and traded a pretty dang solid starter.

i just hope he comes through soon!

AndChiefs
05-21-2007, 03:24 PM
Someone offered me Gordon for Vidro....he acted surprised when I said no. Like being a Royals fan makes me an idiot or something. :)

VonneMarie
05-21-2007, 07:45 PM
LMAO

Sure-Oz
05-21-2007, 08:40 PM
Someone offered me Gordon for Vidro....he acted surprised when I said no. Like being a Royals fan makes me an idiot or something. :)
i probably would've done it, i like the upside of gordon to vidro. even if gordon is hitting 132 points lower.

chiefqueen
05-21-2007, 08:46 PM

I think the new scoreboard in the crown will be capable of video, animation, and graphics, thus the jumbotron will no longer be needed.

Dartgod
05-21-2007, 08:47 PM
I think the new scoreboard in the crown will be capable of video, animation, and graphics, thus the jumbotron will no longer be needed.
Right. Also, on 810WHB, they were saying that they will be building a new crown, larger than the original.