PDA

View Full Version : Firearm help...

unlurking
05-21-2007, 02:44 PM
Well, after spending a year trying to get my marriage to work, the wife and I are splitting up. She has decided she wants a lifestyle change, so I figured why not have some fun myself? There are a lot of things I have always wanted to do but didn't because of family priorities (motorcycle, hunting, boating, flying lessons, etc.). I have decided one of the cheaper things I could do would be target shooting. I always loved going to the range with friends who had handguns or rifles, or even renting them at the range.

I'd like to see if I couldn't get recommendations on an affordable (but not crappy) handgun. This would not be for home defense or hunting, but purely used at ranges for target shooting. Every time I've gone, it's been an absolute blast, but I never seem to improve when using a wide range of weapons.

I know the Planet has an abundance of gun owners, so I thought this would be a good place to ask for opinions. Like I said though, I do have a spending limit. I don't know firearm price ranges outside of the sale items in sports store newspaper ads, but I'd like to keep it below $500 if possible.

Thanks,
-UL

Simplex3
05-21-2007, 02:46 PM
Check ammo prices before you buy.

Frazod
I'm thinking the midst of a divorce is NOT the appropriate time for you to become a first time gun owner.

Very bad idea. Bad bad bad

Gonzo
Just for target shooting?
Get a Ruger revolver. Single six or something.

unlurking
05-21-2007, 02:55 PM
I'm thinking the midst of a divorce is NOT the appropriate time for you to become a first time gun owner.

hahaha

My appliances are safe.

We are actually very good friends, and everything has been very "amicable". We have agreed 100% on financial split, and are 100% in agreement on parenting time and child support. I'm just looking to pick up some hobbies and to try and have a little fun. The range I used to go to has a locker system where you can store your guns on site. This is what I am planning on doing, since I still don't fell comfortable having a gun in the house with a teenager (especially one going through puberty).

Simplex3
05-21-2007, 02:55 PM

Hell, it's a great idea. He buys a gun, then she shows up having been poisoned with antifreeze. No way he did it, he would have just shot her with his new gun.

MOhillbilly
05-21-2007, 02:57 PM
guns america

Fish
05-21-2007, 02:58 PM
I wouldn't call handgun target practice "cheap"..... do you know what the average box of handgun ammo costs?

Unless you plan on reloading your own, it's nowhere close to what I would consider a cheap hobby....

Do you know what caliber you want?

Frazod
05-21-2007, 02:59 PM
hahaha

My appliances are safe.

We are actually very good friends, and everything has been very "amicable". We have agreed 100% on financial split, and are 100% in agreement on parenting time and child support. I'm just looking to pick up some hobbies and to try and have a little fun. The range I used to go to has a locker system where you can store your guns on site. This is what I am planning on doing, since I still don't fell comfortable having a gun in the house with a teenager (especially one going through puberty).

You'll have to admit, it sounded bad.

Hey, I'm getting divorced.... got any recommendations for a gun? :fire:

unlurking
05-21-2007, 03:01 PM
Just for target shooting?
Get a Ruger revolver. Single six or something.
Ruger?

Recommended caliber/model? As far as handguns, I've shot a 9mm, .22, a .38. The .22 felt/acted like a heavy BB gun, rather disappointing. The .38 seemed very, I don't know, awkward? The 9mm felt very comfortable, but felt like a Mel Gibson wannabe.

All were cartridge. I have a friend who does target and "quick-draw" shooting. I believe she uses revolvers, I'll have to ask her. Why recommend it?

Radar Chief
05-21-2007, 03:02 PM
Ruger .22 MK I or MK II
Nice shooting little gun and you canít beat .22ís for price, you could shoot all day and empty 100ís of rounds for under $20.
Best ďplinkingĒ round ever, good beginners size also.
Just donít go pointing it at someone, about all a .22 will do is pissíem off.

unlurking
05-21-2007, 03:03 PM
I wouldn't call handgun target practice "cheap"..... do you know what the average box of handgun ammo costs?

Unless you plan on reloading your own, it's nowhere close to what I would consider a cheap hobby....

Do you know what caliber you want?
No idea on caliber. As far as price, have you played any of those "shooter" games at Dave 'n Busters lately?! They're like $2 for a 1-3 minute game! Last time I went to the range, it was to kick off my buddies bachelor party. For 5 of us, it only cost me about $100 for ammo and range time for over an hour.

unlurking
05-21-2007, 03:06 PM

Yeah, I know. I thought about editing it after I wrote it. But then I figured what the hell, somebody (Simplex3) would recommend a .45 desert antifreeze!

This is just a chance to go out and have some fun. I'm thinking about picking up bow-hunting as well, since a co-worker invited me to go with him this fall for elk.

MOhillbilly
05-21-2007, 03:07 PM
if you go the single action ruger route the single six ruger comes w/ a conversion cylinder that allows you to shoot 22lr and 22mag.

someone mentioned a MKI & MKII go w/ a MKII.

if you want a 9mm high cap and are a novice go Glock.

trndobrd
05-21-2007, 03:09 PM
If you are relatively new to pistol shooting and are not interested in hunting or personal defense, I would recommend a .22LR target pistol like a Ruger MK II or Smith and Wesson Model 41.

You can get any decent 22LR target pistol for a couple hundred dollars. Ammo is dirt cheap, you can shoot all day for a couple bucks. Recoil is minimal so you won't develop bad habits as you improve your accuracy.

El Jefe
05-21-2007, 03:10 PM
9mm Smith and Wesson, thats the gun I have and I love it. The ammo is expensive, my dad has a goverment issue Colt 45 worth some major bread, and that thing is a blast to shoot. I agree with most on here if you want a cheap hobby gun you better go with a .22.

MOhillbilly
05-21-2007, 03:11 PM
save your brass its 6$ a pound & 80% of the cart. cost.

Fish
05-21-2007, 03:21 PM
Ruger .22 MK I or MK II
Nice shooting little gun and you canít beat .22ís for price, you could shoot all day and empty 100ís of rounds for under $20.

I'd second this as a damn good start.... for just plinking as a hobby, this will be your most consistent and affordable gun. It would also be much much easier to shoot than a higher caliber shorter barreled pistol.

I've had a MKII, and a MKIII. I think I liked the MKII better than the III. It was easier to strip and clean, and is just crazy accurate.

I'd also recommend the Browning Buckmark. Accurate, reliable, and easy to use. Also great if you have larger hands than average.

Stay away from the Walther P22..... lots of people get it for their first .22 and it's horrible.

PastorMikH
05-21-2007, 03:32 PM
If you are into blam, blam, blam, blam this pistol isn't for you. But if you like accuracy and distance you should check out a Thompson Center Contender or Encore. They are only single shot but incredibly accurate and once you have the frame, you can interchange barrels for different calibers. My best group ever was shot through a contender pistol in a 222 remington calliber. 5 shots @ 100 yards in a .3 of an inch circle.

If you want to just go blam, blam... a 357 mag is a lot of fun and you can interchange it with .38 specials (DO NOT get a 38 special and try to shoot 357s through it). Smith & Wesson and Ruger both have decent double actions.

You might actually try going to a range and renting some different pistols to see what you like the most.

big nasty kcnut
05-21-2007, 03:35 PM
get a glock 9mm those thing are lightweight and get some good shooting there.

Redrum_69
05-21-2007, 03:36 PM
You could always start raising pit bulls, I hear theres money to be made due to the shortage of available dogs.

Rain Man
05-21-2007, 03:40 PM

Yeah, that made me worry a bit when I moused over the thread and read the first sentence.

Programmer
05-21-2007, 03:42 PM
If you are into blam, blam, blam, blam this pistol isn't for you. But if you like accuracy and distance you should check out a Thompson Center Contender or Encore. They are only single shot but incredibly accurate and once you have the frame, you can interchange barrels for different calibers. My best group ever was shot through a contender pistol in a 222 remington calliber. 5 shots @ 100 yards in a .3 of an inch circle.

If you want to just go blam, blam... a 357 mag is a lot of fun and you can interchange it with .38 specials (DO NOT get a 38 special and try to shoot 357s through it). Smith & Wesson and Ruger both have decent double actions.

You might actually try going to a range and renting some different pistols to see what you like the most.

I would have to see the grouping you are talking about above to believe it. I've seen some great shooters before but that one I find hard to believe.

Rain Man
05-21-2007, 03:46 PM
I would have to see the grouping you are talking about above to believe it. I've seen some great shooters before but that one I find hard to believe.

Did those other shooters have God there to remove windage?

bringbackmarty
05-21-2007, 05:30 PM
Ruger .22 MK I or MK II
v-tech guy had a 22 and a nine. 22 cal was also the weapon of choice for la cosa nostra for many years. It's all in the aim. Shoot the ****er in the eye, or the heart, or even the throat, it ain't gonna matter.

Slick32
05-21-2007, 05:47 PM

I thought preachers turned the other cheek.

bogie
05-21-2007, 05:53 PM
I'd second this as a damn good start.... for just plinking as a hobby, this will be your most consistent and affordable gun. It would also be much much easier to shoot than a higher caliber shorter barreled pistol.

I've had a MKII, and a MKIII. I think I liked the MKII better than the III. It was easier to strip and clean, and is just crazy accurate.

I'd also recommend the Browning Buckmark. Accurate, reliable, and easy to use. Also great if you have larger hands than average.

Stay away from the Walther P22..... lots of people get it for their first .22 and it's horrible.

I have a H&R 22 revolver, holds 9 in the cylinder. It's double action and has a longer barrell. It's great for target practice/plinking. I know you're not interested in hunting, but this is a great squirrel gun too. I've had it for 30 years but I suspect new it's in the $200 or less range.

unlurking
05-21-2007, 05:54 PM
Thanks guys. Think I'm gonna head to the range this weekend and run a few rounds through whatever they're renting this month.

alanm
05-21-2007, 05:56 PM

That was my first thought as well. ROFL ROFL

Bwana
05-21-2007, 06:25 PM
Glock 20 10mm

Slick32
05-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Thanks guys. Think I'm gonna head to the range this weekend and run a few rounds through whatever they're renting this month.

Not taking the soon to be ex with ya I trust?

unlurking
05-21-2007, 06:56 PM
haha, no. I still love the hell out of her, guess I'm just not good enough for her. Apparently she's "not about material things", and I spend too much time working. She wants to "live life", so I figure I probably ought to give it a try as well, by going out and doing some things I never really "was allowed to" as a married man.

siberian khatru
05-21-2007, 06:58 PM

Just when they reload.

DJ's left nut
05-21-2007, 07:19 PM
Well, after spending a year trying to get my marriage to work, the wife and I are splitting up. She has decided she wants a lifestyle change, so I figured why not have some fun myself? There are a lot of things I have always wanted to do but didn't because of family priorities (motorcycle, hunting, boating, flying lessons, etc.). I have decided one of the cheaper things I could do would be target shooting. I always loved going to the range with friends who had handguns or rifles, or even renting them at the range.

I'd like to see if I couldn't get recommendations on an affordable (but not crappy) handgun. This would not be for home defense or hunting, but purely used at ranges for target shooting. Every time I've gone, it's been an absolute blast, but I never seem to improve when using a wide range of weapons.

I know the Planet has an abundance of gun owners, so I thought this would be a good place to ask for opinions. Like I said though, I do have a spending limit. I don't know firearm price ranges outside of the sale items in sports store newspaper ads, but I'd like to keep it below $500 if possible.

Thanks,
-UL

My recommendations for pure target shooting:

Ruger MK-II (might be a MK-III now) .22 caliber pistol. I would recommend a KMK-512 (5 1/2 in barrel, nickle plated). Make sure you get the kind with a bull barrel. It's heavier but it kills all the recoil. This gun is stupid accurate. A buddy of mine has used the term "accurate enough to drive nails" so we decided to put the Ruger to the test. We could literally drive nails with that stupid thing from about 15 feet with consistent success. It doesn't sound all that impressive, but you'll understand it once you try it with a pistol that isn't that accurate.

Another solid option is a Browning Buckmark.

I shoot Remington Gold Bullet with my .22. It's about $7 for 550 rounds. I've probably put 20,000 rounds through my MK-II and it's misfired once and I've had one dud. Whether it's a reliable gun or reliable bullets I don't know, nor do I care. It's a combination that works. If you get a different gun, try different bullets for awhile, eventually you'll find a brand/type that your gun eats just a little better than others.

A little bigger gun I would recommend a 9mm. The best, IMO are the Barretta 92F. Better still, for the money, go with the Taurus PT99. The Taurus is built by a brazillian company that bought the rights to Barretta's blueprint. It is a carbon copy of the Barretta except that it has the safety on the rail instead of the slide and the barrell isn't chrome lined (neither of these things really matter).

The Taurus shoots and feels like the Barretta but costs about $200 less. A very nice gun for the money.

P.S. Having now read the thread, I second and expound upon the "don't get a Walther" advice. Not only should you steer clear of the .22, steer clear of Walthers in generally. They have a great feel in your hand at the store and a lousy feel once you get out to a range. The .40 caliber is a dog. It has a 2 stage trigger that makes accurate shooting extremely difficult (some S&W models have similar features, but nowhere near this bad). It's a very long and 'squishy' trigger pull. The balance is bad with a clip in. In short, the gun sucks.

Slick32
05-21-2007, 07:24 PM
haha, no. I still love the hell out of her, guess I'm just not good enough for her. Apparently she's "not about material things", and I spend too much time working. She wants to "live life", so I figure I probably ought to give it a try as well, by going out and doing some things I never really "was allowed to" as a married man.

I went to a few ranges in the places I've visited. Met some hot women at those ranges. The ones that couldn't outshoot me I asked out to dinner! That's when I was young and free. I am neither now.

PastorMikH
05-21-2007, 08:11 PM

Look it up, the .222 is one of the most accurate calibers ever created. The Contender is also extremely accurate and I had a 24x scope on it for load developement. A group of 1/3 inch with that setup is rather easy for serious shooters to beat.

I had a pic of the group somewhere but the only ones that I can find on the computers right now are of the 222 carbine (just a tad over 3/4 inch with a 9x scope at 100 yards). The others are on a disk in a box someplace still waiting to be unpacked since the move.

PastorMikH
05-21-2007, 08:12 PM

This one does but he also likes to shoot prairie dogs - something he'll be doing in a few more weeks.

2bikemike
05-21-2007, 09:59 PM
Today I picked up a Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm for my birthday from my wife. Hope to go shoot it tomorrow.

I have been doing a lot of trap and 5 stand shooting lately. This is something I started about 6 months ago. I really enjoy it.

Saggysack
05-22-2007, 04:43 AM
Taurus Model 82 is very affordable. About half the price you want to spend. Very reliable and easy to shoot for begining shooters. .38 ammo is not expensive and there is a abundance of it.

Hog's Gone Fishin
05-22-2007, 06:26 AM
I recommend a .454 casuall or the smith and wesson .500 mag. Their bulletts are only 1$ each and they will build your forearms with each and every shot.

Radar Chief
05-22-2007, 07:00 AM
v-tech guy had a 22 and a nine. 22 cal was also the weapon of choice for la cosa nostra for many years. It's all in the aim. Shoot the ****er in the eye, or the heart, or even the throat, it ain't gonna matter.

Yea, yea, I know. And theyíve been the choice of assassins for years. The Navy SEALs use a version that is silenced to the point that the only sound it emits is that of the slide going back and forth.
Having posted that, Iíll still stand by my statement with one modification. Unless your are a supreme expert in the use of one, donít draw down on someone with a .22.

Radar Chief
05-22-2007, 07:01 AM
I recommend a .454 casuall or the smith and wesson .500 mag. Their bulletts are only 1$ each and they will build your forearms with each and every shot.

:LOL: :shake:

Kraut
05-22-2007, 07:04 AM
A Walther P22 would be nice for just target practice. Or if you want a bigger caliber go with a 9mm

tmax63
05-22-2007, 07:05 AM
I had a Taurus 9mm and it was a very nice gun. If it was me I'd go with the 9mm because if you ever needed one for home/self defense you'll grab whatever is the closest weapon available to you at the time. If it's at home in the dark you won't have the accuracy to make a 22 very effective and a 9mm makes more noise and packs enough more punch than a 22 that if you hit him it won't just piss him off as said earlier. You can pick up ammo for a 9mm pretty cheap at alot of gun shows that are usually reloads and they shoot okay.

MOhillbilly
05-22-2007, 07:07 AM
44 mag DE. i had one.

its great for canoe building and warding off angry savages.

and taurus are shit.

MOhillbilly
05-22-2007, 07:30 AM
input on the rock island 1911-A1

http://www.gunsamerica.com/classifieds/none/_976865142.aspx

Simply Red
05-22-2007, 07:58 AM
Look it up, the .222 is one of the most accurate calibers ever created. The Contender is also extremely accurate and I had a 24x scope on it for load developement. A group of 1/3 inch with that setup is rather easy for serious shooters to beat.

I had a pic of the group somewhere but the only ones that I can find on the computers right now are of the 222 carbine (just a tad over 3/4 inch with a 9x scope at 100 yards). The others are on a disk in a box someplace still waiting to be unpacked since the move.
Ya see Programmer is like Mecca, only he is more "worldly." He can't see the roses due to the weeds -> Regarding all topics (not just sports.)

Iowanian
05-22-2007, 08:23 AM
What Fraz said.....

Even assuming everything is legit in your intentions, it wouldn't look good.

Maybe try the hair dye and the convertible first.

My brother had a Walther P22, and it was a jamming, piece of shit.

If I were buying a handgun, I think the next one would be a S/W 1911 .45

bringbackmarty
05-22-2007, 08:26 AM
My recommendations for pure target shooting:

Ruger MK-II (might be a MK-III now) .22 caliber pistol. I would recommend a KMK-512 (5 1/2 in barrel, nickle plated). Make sure you get the kind with a bull barrel. It's heavier but it kills all the recoil. This gun is stupid accurate. A buddy of mine has used the term "accurate enough to drive nails" so we decided to put the Ruger to the test. We could literally drive nails with that stupid thing from about 15 feet with consistent success. It doesn't sound all that impressive, but you'll understand it once you try it with a pistol that isn't that accurate.

Another solid option is a Browning Buckmark.

I shoot Remington Gold Bullet with my .22. It's about $7 for 550 rounds. I've probably put 20,000 rounds through my MK-II and it's misfired once and I've had one dud. Whether it's a reliable gun or reliable bullets I don't know, nor do I care. It's a combination that works. If you get a different gun, try different bullets for awhile, eventually you'll find a brand/type that your gun eats just a little better than others.

A little bigger gun I would recommend a 9mm. The best, IMO are the Barretta 92F. Better still, for the money, go with the Taurus PT99. The Taurus is built by a brazillian company that bought the rights to Barretta's blueprint. It is a carbon copy of the Barretta except that it has the safety on the rail instead of the slide and the barrell isn't chrome lined (neither of these things really matter).

The Taurus shoots and feels like the Barretta but costs about $200 less. A very nice gun for the money.

P.S. Having now read the thread, I second and expound upon the "don't get a Walther" advice. Not only should you steer clear of the .22, steer clear of Walthers in generally. They have a great feel in your hand at the store and a lousy feel once you get out to a range. The .40 caliber is a dog. It has a 2 stage trigger that makes accurate shooting extremely difficult (some S&W models have similar features, but nowhere near this bad). It's a very long and 'squishy' trigger pull. The balance is bad with a clip in. In short, the gun sucks.

I agree about the walther, The one I shot jammed three times in an hour.

bringbackmarty
05-22-2007, 08:48 AM
Yea, yea, I know. And theyíve been the choice of assassins for years. The Navy SEALs use a version that is silenced to the point that the only sound it emits is that of the slide going back and forth.
Having posted that, Iíll still stand by my statement with one modification. Unless your are a supreme expert in the use of one, donít draw down on someone with a .22.

I would say if you are not a good to expert marksman, and you are in dangerous situations often - a .22 is not a good choice for self defense.
People shoot differently when under serious stress, and radar has a good point.

It is however a good conceal and carry weapon if you shoot well and hone your skills often at a range.

If you are defending your home 12 gauge is obviously the way to go.

Most criminals are total pussies once shot. If you are concerned about
blood splatter getting on your stuff, jury trials for excessive force, ammo cost, low visibility underneath clothing, and you need to do someone real quiet like, the .22 could be your gun.

If I was a cop, a glock 40 with a high capacity magazine, my 12 gauge in the cruiser, AR-15 in the trunk, and a .22 as a backup, (hidden on my person, or in the vehicle) would be my equipment of choice.

Bowser
05-22-2007, 08:59 AM

If you're going to do it, do it right....

unlurking
05-22-2007, 05:31 PM
Well, went to the store today with a friend who does target shooting (and cowboy action shooting, though I'm not quite sure what that means). She helped a newb pick out a target shooter for a novice, and she was in step with most of the replies here. I picked up a Ruger MK III Competition.

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/images/Products/259L.jpg

I appreciate all the comments regarding 45s, shotguns, sniper rifles, anti-freeze, etc. This is however, a target shooting hobby only. I'm not worried about home defense or anything of that nature. Just something to use at the range and work on my marksmanship.

Thanks All!

ChiefaRoo
05-22-2007, 06:11 PM
get a glock 9mm those thing are lightweight and get some good shooting there.

I've got a Glock 9MM. It's fun to go out and plink steel targets and bowling pins with. Easy gun to take care of and I like the feel and balance better than a Beretta.

Slick32
05-22-2007, 06:17 PM
I've got a Glock 9MM. It's fun to go out and plink steel targets and bowling pins with. Easy gun to take care of and I like the feel and balance better than a Beretta.

I like the Sig Sauer 9mm. Fits my hand and the last time I fired for score I scored very well. I fired a Glock a few times and it just didn't feel right. The Beretta was the most uncomfortable handgun I ever fired.

gblowfish
05-22-2007, 07:40 PM
Chris Rock once said the way to stop gun violence in America is to make bullets cost $5,000 each.

That way, you'd really really really think about it before you took a shot at someone.

Good idea, IMHO...

Slick32
05-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Chris Rock once said the way to stop gun violence in America is to make bullets cost $5,000 each.

That way, you'd really really really think about it before you took a shot at someone.

Good idea, IMHO...

That bit of almost comedy tends to go right along with the move to outlaw owning hand guns.

I read an article that talked about the gun control that has happened in the past century and in each case they ended up with higher crime rates due to the fact that the criminals with guns had no fear. They also talked about the countries that enforced the gun bans and what happened in those countries.

Expensive bullets just mean that you and I can't buy them but the criminals will find ways to have them and they will use them with out any regard.

unlurking
04-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Almost a year, and the wife is now officially an ex, and still living.

Got another toy to play with!

Ruger GP-100 .357
http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/images/Products/53L.jpg

Rain Man
04-08-2008, 10:26 PM
You should buy a spear. People who carry spears don't get messed with.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
04-09-2008, 06:03 AM

Well, I have a small objection to this comment.

I <b>love</b> to go out with my Walther P-38 and kill some paper commies. It's got a good feel and in the 13 years I've had it, I think it's jammed once (?).

Of course, the gun was made in 1959 and I'm the second owner of it. (Hell, the magazines I have for it were stamped 1959 and 1961. ;) Things as old as I am - just in better shape.)

I can't speak for Walther's gun making abilities now, but they used to make a fine weapon.

03pilot
04-09-2008, 09:04 AM
do the flying lessons. pilots are the coolest.

shooting at the range is a much cheaper and also fun hobby.

Otter
04-09-2008, 09:11 AM
I have one word for you my good man and it's .454 Casull (or is that two?) If it doesn't break your wrist when you shoot it you'll be in much better shape than whatever is on its business side.

http://conspiracyx0.tripod.com/weapons2/454B.gif

btlook1
04-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Ruger .22 MK I or MK II

I second that one!! I have had a MKII and now have a MKIII in .22...nice guns you can shoot them all day for not to much $$!

BigOlChiefsfan
04-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Another fan of the Ruger MKII. I happen to like the long bullbarrel version, it doesn't move much when I shoot, pops right back 'on target' instantly. Fun pistol, and great to hunt with (wear a shoulder or chest holster, that 10" barrel gets heavy)
Every gun has it's own preferences when it comes to ammo, mine seems to like CCI standard velocity. $5.30 for 100 shots, you can learn to shoot well.
I like shooting .45acp pistols and usually recommend a Ruger P345, Springfield XD or your favorite 1911 clone in the .45 - but there are several 9mm's I like as well. Shooting the 9mm is cheaper, over a few dozen boxes that difference can really add up. A smith and wesson M&P in 9mm or an XD 9mm would be good to learn with.

If you'd like a good .22 rifle to go with your .22 pistol I highly recommend the CZ 452 bolt action. It's marketed as a 'Lux" version w/nice turkish walnut stocks or a 'trainer' version with beechwood stock. I tend to get my rifles banged around in the woods, so the less expensive trainer suits me fine, and shoots sweet. These are excellent rifles, basically a mauser 98 in miniature. Get good with the iron sights on this and you can move up to any good centerfire and know what you're doing. I also like the Savage .22 and 17hmr rifles, their accutrigger is pretty sweet and they're an excellent value. Good bang for the buck. Or good bang bang bang for the buck, as the case may be.

rad
04-10-2008, 08:18 AM
I have a Bersa .380 and ammo is pretty inexpensive. I have smaller hands and this fits nice. Ammo is about 26-28 bucks for 100 rds. Nice carry piece:

Radar Chief
04-10-2008, 08:58 AM
I have one word for you my good man and it's .454 Casull (or is that two?) If it doesn't break your wrist when you shoot it you'll be in much better shape than whatever is on its business side.

http://conspiracyx0.tripod.com/weapons2/454B.gif

:LOL: One thing about it, a gun like that will teach you to get the job done with one shot because you wonít want to have to pull the trigger a second time. ;)

roman gnome
04-10-2008, 09:19 AM
I've had great luck with the Walther pistols. YMMV
http://i27.tinypic.com/29vktx5.jpg

Chiefmanwillcatch
04-10-2008, 01:23 PM
are silencers legal?

Sorry Rad. You're gun is not that good looking.

rad
04-10-2008, 02:04 PM
are silencers legal?

Sorry Rad. You're gun is not that good looking.

I think it is. Plus it's fun and pretty cheap to shoot.

roman gnome
04-10-2008, 02:09 PM
In Colorado suppressors - full auto -SBR's are all legal, with a $200 tax-stamp.

Your state may vary.