PDA

View Full Version : My new contacts ROCK

Silock
05-22-2007, 08:36 AM
I'm very, very active, so I have to have contacts to play sports and exercise. Glasses just don't cut it. I've worn contacts for nearly 15 years now, and only recently did I start having problems. It got so bad that my eye swelled up and I had to take some pretty serious eye drops every 2 hours for a week. I was considering shelling out the serious cash for LASIK just so I wouldn't have to wear glasses. I know lots of people that have success with LASIK, but I know of a few people that still have some problems with halos around lights at night (which would irritate the living shit out of me). I also don't like the permanent nature of LASIK. I know my eyes will change sometime in my 40s, so I don't know if I'd even be eligible for LASIK then if I had it at 26.

So, I got some new Bausch and Lomb PureVision contacts. OMG. They blow every other kind of contact I've ever worn out of the water, and I've tried them ALL. They're designed to be worn when you sleep. They last a month. The eye doctor said that it was perfectly fine to sleep in them and that it wouldn't damage my eyes in the least. The eye problems I had before with contacts was that my eyes would just get too dry and then swell up, even when I didn't sleep in my contacts. I've had this pair in for 3 weeks without ever taking them out and I've had zero problems with dryness or irritation or swelling.

That's my endorsement. If you're looking at contacts or are unsure about LASIK, I highly recommend giving these a try. They take a few hours to mold to your eyeball, but once they do, you don't even notice them. Two thumbs up!

Donger
05-22-2007, 08:39 AM
I'm very, very active, so I have to have contacts to play sports and exercise. Glasses just don't cut it. I've worn contacts for nearly 15 years now, and only recently did I start having problems. It got so bad that my eye swelled up and I had to take some pretty serious eye drops every 2 hours for a week. I was considering shelling out the serious cash for LASIK just so I wouldn't have to wear glasses. I know lots of people that have success with LASIK, but I know of a few people that still have some problems with halos around lights at night (which would irritate the living shit out of me). I also don't like the permanent nature of LASIK. I know my eyes will change sometime in my 40s, so I don't know if I'd even be eligible for LASIK then if I had it at 26.

So, I got some new Bausch and Lomb PureVision contacts. OMG. They blow every other kind of contact I've ever worn out of the water, and I've tried them ALL. They're designed to be worn when you sleep. They last a month. The eye doctor said that it was perfectly fine to sleep in them and that it wouldn't damage my eyes in the least. The eye problems I had before with contacts was that my eyes would just get too dry and then swell up, even when I didn't sleep in my contacts. I've had this pair in for 3 weeks without ever taking them out and I've had zero problems with dryness or irritation or swelling.

That's my endorsement. If you're looking at contacts or are unsure about LASIK, I highly recommend giving these a try. They take a few hours to mold to your eyeball, but once they do, you don't even notice them. Two thumbs up!

Cool. Can they handle astigmatism? I've had the same pair of gas permeable lenses since 1992.

chasedude
05-22-2007, 08:39 AM
Oh I'm so glad I have 20/20 vision :)

Silock
05-22-2007, 08:40 AM
Cool. Can they handle astigmatism? I've had the same pair of gas permeable lenses since 1992.

Yes. I'm slightly astigmatic, and near-sighted. The great thing about these is that they mold to your eye :)

Silock
05-22-2007, 08:40 AM
Oh I'm so glad I have 20/20 vision :)

Lucky you. I'm legally blind without my contacts, but with them in, I see 20/10. Weird :)

Stewie
05-22-2007, 09:25 AM
I use the CIBA version of these lenses. They're awesome. I put the word out in the lasik thread because I considered lasik until I found these lenses.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=3953925&postcount=22

Abba-Dabba
05-22-2007, 09:49 AM
My wife just had wavefront lasik last Friday. Worth every penny to her over having to wear dailies or glasses. Having said that, if lasik is a option for you, don't pass it up. I would suggest wavefront lasik surgery over the others. The cost is a tad higher, but you will not have blade cutting on your eye.

There is a very small chance of blindness with lasik surgery, so I would suggest a person that has a great reputation rather than a lower cost alternative. Dr. Grene in Wichita is the best the region has to offer and wavefront with him will cost alittle over $4000. The cheapest alternative is about $1600, but they put a contact in your eye while it heals, thus causing a longer period of recovery.

Silock
05-22-2007, 10:14 AM
$4000, with risk, vs. $175/yr with no risk...

I'll take the contacts until LASIK becomes as routine as an eye exam.

wilas101
05-22-2007, 10:32 AM
If you haven't tried them yet get a trial pair of the Nike MaxVision contacts from your eye doctor.

I have some of the amber ones and I absolutely love them. If you're outside a lot they're amazing. If you're in and out often they can be a little inconvenient though.

http://www.nike.com/nikevision/main.html#section=product&subSection=product_maxsight

Pants
05-22-2007, 08:32 PM
I wore those for about 5 years. They're very nice. Last year I switched to Acuvue Oasys and OMFG, they're so much clearer and so much more comfortable. They're, however, only good for 2 weeks (not a month) and when you wake up, they're a little less comfortable than PureVision. To me, the trade off for clarity of vision and daily comfort was worth it, though.

macdawg
05-22-2007, 08:46 PM
contacts are $175 a year plus a $100 a year eye exams.

i'm tired of contacts, i'm getting lasic soon.

88TG88
05-22-2007, 09:03 PM
If you haven't tried them yet get a trial pair of the Nike MaxVision contacts from your eye doctor.

I have some of the amber ones and I absolutely love them. If you're outside a lot they're amazing. If you're in and out often they can be a little inconvenient though.

http://www.nike.com/nikevision/main.html#section=product&subSection=product_maxsight
Did u get them for a prescription ?

wilas101
05-22-2007, 09:07 PM
Did u get them for a prescription ?

yeah, the doc had the lenses I needed right there in the office. gave me a pair of each to try out and sent me on my way.

Both are nice but I like the amber ones better.

Just be prepared to see blue where greens used to be.

Abba-Dabba
05-23-2007, 12:10 AM
$4000, with risk, vs. $175/yr with no risk...

I'll take the contacts until LASIK becomes as routine as an eye exam.

To each their own. I understand someone not wanting to spend the money on it. The risk is very minimal. It pretty much is as routine as a eye exam to those that do them.

Having said that. There are just as many risks and complications, if not more wearing contacts, ranging from minor to sight threatning. Quite a few actually. A quick glance at eMedicine shows contact allergy, corneal abrasion, giant papillary conjunctivitis, corneal neovascularisation, corneal oedema, corneal ulcer, contact lens–induced superior limbic keratoconjunctivitis, mechanical epithelial defects, chemical epithelial defects, hpoxia, superficial immunologic reactions, infectious and sterile infiltrates, infectious keratitis, acanthamoeba keratitis, tight lens syndrome, corneal warpage, contact lens–induced keratoconus.

Doesn't sound like no risk to me...

CoMoChief
05-23-2007, 12:37 AM
I'm legally blind in my left eye without my contacts. Right eye isnt all that bad though.

Silock
05-23-2007, 04:51 AM
To each their own. I understand someone not wanting to spend the money on it. The risk is very minimal. It pretty much is as routine as a eye exam to those that do them.

Having said that. There are just as many risks and complications, if not more wearing contacts, ranging from minor to sight threatning. Quite a few actually. A quick glance at eMedicine shows contact allergy, corneal abrasion, giant papillary conjunctivitis, corneal neovascularisation, corneal oedema, corneal ulcer, contact lens–induced superior limbic keratoconjunctivitis, mechanical epithelial defects, chemical epithelial defects, hpoxia, superficial immunologic reactions, infectious and sterile infiltrates, infectious keratitis, acanthamoeba keratitis, tight lens syndrome, corneal warpage, contact lens–induced keratoconus.

Doesn't sound like no risk to me...

Yeah, but that only happens if you're too dense to take them out when they start irritating your eyes. As long as you're smart about it, there's nothing permanent that's going to happen.

Silock
05-23-2007, 04:52 AM
I wore those for about 5 years. They're very nice. Last year I switched to Acuvue Oasys and OMFG, they're so much clearer and so much more comfortable. They're, however, only good for 2 weeks (not a month) and when you wake up, they're a little less comfortable than PureVision. To me, the trade off for clarity of vision and daily comfort was worth it, though.

These new PureVisions *just* came out. They did some tinkering with the material it was made out of, so they're comfortable and extremely clear.

Slick32
05-23-2007, 04:59 AM
I've worn the types of contacts that work for near and far vision (bifocals). Do these new contacts have that same option? Do they work with astigmatism?

I've slept in my contacts but I rarely wake up with them in my eyes. When they came out and just stuck to my skin or shirt it was OK, but once it was up under my eyelid and was a pain getting out.

Abba-Dabba
05-23-2007, 05:08 AM
Yeah, but that only happens if you're too dense to take them out when they start irritating your eyes. As long as you're smart about it, there's nothing permanent that's going to happen.

No risk?

FWIW, 1 in 20(5%) suffer complications at some point in time from wearing contacts, whereas lasik patients have a complication rate of 1-2%. I'm just saying there is a risk for anything, neither one is better than the other. It's more about personal choice and preference than anything else. Maybe I'm just too dense to understand anything other than that.

DaKCMan AP
05-23-2007, 05:11 AM

I have the Oasys in my right eye and a custom lens for astigmatism in my left. I don't sleep with them in, though.

Unfortunately, no one makes lenses that lasts more than 2 weeks and are strong enough for my eyes.

Silock
05-23-2007, 06:13 AM
No risk?

FWIW, 1 in 20(5%) suffer complications at some point in time from wearing contacts, whereas lasik patients have a complication rate of 1-2%. I'm just saying there is a risk for anything, neither one is better than the other. It's more about personal choice and preference than anything else. Maybe I'm just too dense to understand anything other than that.

Again, contacts you can take out. LASIK is permanent.

The number of people with contacts far outweigh the number of people with LASIK. Everyone I've met that had LASIK done is happy with it. Not everyone I've met is happy with their contacts. Big deal. It's not the contacts' fault if the person wearing them fails to take them when there's a problem. I know I'm smart enough to do so. I also know that if something goes wrong after LASIK, there's literally nothing I can do about it.

Like I said, I have nothing against LASIK, but it hasn't been around long enough to know the full consequences yet. If I get it done now, I may not be able to get it done later when my eyes change again. That doesn't seem worth it, to me.

Slick32
05-23-2007, 06:45 AM
A few years ago my wifes optometrist said that she was a perfect candidate for Lasik. On here last checkup we were considering it and he reversed his recommendation. Not because her eye had changed but because he had lost faith in the effectiveness of the procedure.

It was a big step for me to get contacts, I don't think I could handle anything with my eye unless is was absolutely unavoidable.

Mike Coleman, a salesman that I buy components from, had RK a few years ago, 11-12, and has the halo's from the scalpel incisions.

Lasik is supposed to be better but it seems that there are a few problems with the procedure and the problems that come up due to the scaring.

Abba-Dabba
05-23-2007, 02:53 PM
A few years ago my wifes optometrist said that she was a perfect candidate for Lasik. On here last checkup we were considering it and he reversed his recommendation. Not because her eye had changed but because he had lost faith in the effectiveness of the procedure.

It was a big step for me to get contacts, I don't think I could handle anything with my eye unless is was absolutely unavoidable.

Mike Coleman, a salesman that I buy components from, had RK a few years ago, 11-12, and has the halo's from the scalpel incisions.

Lasik is supposed to be better but it seems that there are a few problems with the procedure and the problems that come up due to the scaring.

ROFL. My wifes optometrist told us, that she was not eligible for lasik. Her eyesight was too bad. So we went and found out from someone who actually performs the procedure. Said she was good to go, all the while her eye doctor told her, no no no.

Never underestimate a MF'er who will lie to you to keep his hand in your pocketbook. Daily contacts, annual eye exams, new pair of glasses every couple years. It's how those heffers stay in business.

Slick32
05-23-2007, 03:04 PM
ROFL. My wifes optometrist told us, that she was not eligible for lasik. Her eyesight was too bad. So we went and found out from someone who actually performs the procedure. Said she was good to go, all the while her eye doctor told her, no no no.

Never underestimate a MF'er who will lie to you to keep his hand in your pocketbook. Daily contacts, annual eye exams, new pair of glasses every couple years. It's how those heffers stay in business.

Fortunately we didn't take his word alone on the issue. There are a few horror stories regarding Lasik. There are also success stories. You just have to determine if you want to take the chance.

BTW, the OD in question wasn't practicing any longer when he told us about his concerns with Lasik. He had a disagreement with a table saw and lost three fingers on his right hand. He had to change careers.

CASHMAN
05-23-2007, 03:09 PM
I use Americas Contacts they are a great price and eye exams are free for 5 years when you buy the club.

CASHMAN.

Abba-Dabba
05-23-2007, 04:15 PM
Fortunately we didn't take his word alone on the issue. There are a few horror stories regarding Lasik. There are also success stories. You just have to determine if you want to take the chance.

BTW, the OD in question wasn't practicing any longer when he told us about his concerns with Lasik. He had a disagreement with a table saw and lost three fingers on his right hand. He had to change careers.

That's why I said, to each their own in a previous post. There is a risk with everything. Contacts and lasik have no end result risk that is different. Both can have issues that can range from be innocuous to sight threatning. And again, as I said in a previous post it is more about choice and personal preference. For my wife the benefits of lasik was much more than having to be beholden to glasses and contacts.

It was obvious with my wifes optometrist he only wanted our money and not her best interests at heart. I'm sure he will be calling soon to tell us it is time for a re-up on contacts. I can't fuggin wait.

Slick32
05-23-2007, 04:42 PM
That's why I said, to each their own in a previous post. There is a risk with everything. Contacts and lasik have no end result risk that is different. Both can have issues that can range from be innocuous to sight threatning. And again, as I said in a previous post it is more about choice and personal preference. For my wife the benefits of lasik was much more than having to be beholden to glasses and contacts.

It was obvious with my wifes optometrist he only wanted our money and not her best interests at heart. I'm sure he will be calling soon to tell us it is time for a re-up on contacts. I can't fuggin wait.

If the OD's really care about eyesight they won't be threatened by the procedure. Besides, I'm sure there will be plenty of people that have a fear of having their eyes messed with.

I have the beginning stages of cataracts and was told that some day I may need surgery to take care of the problem. Not looking forward to it.

I think my biggest concern with Lasik might be that I often wake up and start rubbing my eyes. After Lasik that could be a problem.

synthesis2
05-23-2007, 06:47 PM
I have been in the industry for 10 years and Purevision has been on the market since 1999. They are not new or improved, the company just figured out that the longer the lens sits on the shelf the stiffer the material becomes. balafilcon A is balafilicon A, the "new" is just a newer lens that was made vs. a "actual" new lens. The guy who wrote this almost sounds like he is a rep or something like that for the company. The doctor that I have worked for over the last 3 years stopped fitting the lens because of the ulcers and GPC that was occuring in patients. He said that 1 in 5 people were having serious problems and that only 60% of them could handle wearing them. They are just not comfortable. I could wear just about any contact lens and the only two I couldn't waer was the Purevision and Night and Day... And I did try the "new" one and it was just as bad as the "old" ( not sitting on the shelf) lens.... There are MUCH new materials that have come out on the market since then and sleeping in contacts have been proven to dramatically increase the risk of every problem in the book. Our doctor NEVER reccomends that people sleep in lenses, he thinks safety should aways come first and then he cares about comfort the most. Purevisions are one of the most, if not THE most uncomfortalbe lenses on the market...

Chief Roundup
05-23-2007, 07:11 PM
That is what I wear. I like them very much. I don't sleep in them though they make my eyes feel glazed over if I sleep in them.

I get free eye exams and it cost me 40 bucks for a years supply. I am afraid that I would be that 1 person that something would go wrong with and I would lose my sight.

Silock
05-23-2007, 08:07 PM
I have been in the industry for 10 years and Purevision has been on the market since 1999. They are not new or improved, the company just figured out that the longer the lens sits on the shelf the stiffer the material becomes. balafilcon A is balafilicon A, the "new" is just a newer lens that was made vs. a "actual" new lens. The guy who wrote this almost sounds like he is a rep or something like that for the company. The doctor that I have worked for over the last 3 years stopped fitting the lens because of the ulcers and GPC that was occuring in patients. He said that 1 in 5 people were having serious problems and that only 60% of them could handle wearing them. They are just not comfortable. I could wear just about any contact lens and the only two I couldn't waer was the Purevision and Night and Day... And I did try the "new" one and it was just as bad as the "old" ( not sitting on the shelf) lens.... There are MUCH new materials that have come out on the market since then and sleeping in contacts have been proven to dramatically increase the risk of every problem in the book. Our doctor NEVER reccomends that people sleep in lenses, he thinks safety should aways come first and then he cares about comfort the most. Purevisions are one of the most, if not THE most uncomfortalbe lenses on the market...

And what lenses would you recommend? I'm just relating my experience with them. They're much better than the Acuvue and CIBA contacts that I've worn within the past 2 years.

synthesis2
05-23-2007, 09:50 PM
Well it all depends but there are two lenses that our patients tell us hands down are more comfortable than most, the Proclear material which is also avaiable in the biomedics XC and the Oasys lens. Our doctor likes Oasys more just because of the Oxygen value of the lens compared to the Proclear but if the Oasys doesn't work then that is definatly the second choice. Those materials are much newer...

You might have tried the Advance lens or the Night and Day and our doctor didn't like either one of those, but purevision is the least favorate...

Silock
05-23-2007, 10:07 PM
:shrug: Not for me. I'm 110% satisfied. These are the most comfortable I've ever had, and I've tried Oasys. Didn't work for me.

Pants
05-23-2007, 10:55 PM
These new PureVisions *just* came out. They did some tinkering with the material it was made out of, so they're comfortable and extremely clear.

Maybe they just came out, but like I said, I was wearing them for 5 years. It was Bausch & Lomb PureVision, good for a month and you wear them pretty much nonstop (have to lubricate before you go to bed and when you wake up). I don't know who told you that, but Dr. Brill was prescribing me those babies a long ass time ago.