PDA

View Full Version : Jacksonville, FL

luv
05-22-2007, 09:11 PM
I'm going there next week for work for 3-4 days. Working 3PM-midnight, which is my usual shift here. Any ideas on how to spend my days? St Augustine Lighthouse looks awesome. There's also an Aqua Zoo. Anything else I should try to get in while I'm there?

I can't wait to eat real seafood!!!!!

Direckshun
05-22-2007, 09:12 PM
Is it a beach town?

luv
05-22-2007, 09:14 PM
Is it a beach town?
I looked it up. It looks to be just inland, but I'm not for sure how far. I think there's a Jacksonville Beach. I'll do more research once I get home.

luv
05-22-2007, 09:15 PM
This will also be my first time flying commercially. And I'm not paying for it!!!

PinkFloyd
05-22-2007, 09:15 PM
It flat out smells !!!!!!! Last time I was there it smelt like sewage....

luv
05-22-2007, 09:20 PM
It flat out smells !!!!!!! Last time I was there it smelt like sewage....
This is only the second time I've ever been to Florida. Don't ruin it for me before I even get there!

BucEyedPea
05-22-2007, 09:25 PM
I've only driven through it about 4 times, twice in the middle of the night evacuating for a hurricane. Can't tell ya' much except that it isn't that Florida'y. Looks more like parts of Georgia or even NE due to the foliage. But hey, at this time of year it's warmer I'm sure than where you are. Although, you're not that far north girl.

Oh, they're supposed to have a good zoo. My kid was 9 at the time and we didn't have time to stop though we tried...we were fleeing.

PinkFloyd
05-22-2007, 09:26 PM
This is only the second time I've ever been to Florida. Don't ruin it for me before I even get there!

I spent 2 years there playing baseball... It's awesome around Tampa, Orlando and St. Pete...

BucEyedPea
05-22-2007, 09:27 PM
I spent 2 years there playing baseball... It's awesome around Tampa, Orlando and St. Pete...
:spock:

PinkFloyd
05-22-2007, 09:30 PM
:spock:

Well it was back in 1989 for a farm boy from Missouri...

tk13
05-22-2007, 09:32 PM
The Lighthouse is cool, great exercise too. You have to walk up a 200-plus step spiral staircase, that is grated. Don't look down. I think the World Golf Hall of Fame is cool, but I like golf.

luv
05-22-2007, 09:35 PM
The Lighthouse is cool, great exercise too. You have to walk up a 200-plus step spiral staircase, that is grated. Don't look down. I think the World Golf Hall of Fame is cool, but I like golf.
I'm really looking forward to the Lighthouse. Steps won't bother me. I like a good challenge. Can;t say I'm into golf, so I'll take your word on the Golf thing.

Bugeater
05-22-2007, 09:36 PM
You'd better pack some heat.

Demonpenz
05-22-2007, 09:47 PM
there are alot of aligators. The beach is so so. It's pretty redneck for flordia.

luv
05-22-2007, 09:48 PM
there are alot of aligators. The beach is so so. It's pretty redneck for flordia.
I'm not really a beach type of person yet. I'm looking forward to seeing some sights and eating some seafood. It is a work trip, after all.

Demonpenz
05-22-2007, 09:55 PM
i hate gator down there. I drove down there from st. joe like 6 years ago. we drank on thee worse fake id's ever. I was Zach Johnson from atchison (of course) it was pretty fun but mostly we just hung out at the bars.

luv
05-22-2007, 09:57 PM
I don't really care much for the girl who might be going down there with me. I'm not sure what she's into. I'm pretty sure I'll probably be waiting on her to fix her hair and make-up half the time. Damn high-maintenance people.

icepick64
05-22-2007, 10:07 PM
Go downtown, look of cool places to eat and do stuff there. I believe its called the docks...by the river.

Mi_chief_fan
05-22-2007, 10:53 PM
Was stationed there 3 years in the Navy. St. Augustine is a neat town, lots to see. Some of the beaches are ok, especially the further away from the Mayport Naval Station you get. The Landing downtown is pretty cool, and there is a club called Shades in Orange Park, and there's a bbig cowboy bar there, I think it was called Crazy Horse.

The seafood is pretty good, I reccomend the gator tail at Gators.

If you want to see some BIG gators, there is a gator farm in St. Augustine that was neat.

luv
05-23-2007, 12:26 AM
I've only driven through it about 4 times, twice in the middle of the night evacuating for a hurricane. Can't tell ya' much except that it isn't that Florida'y. Looks more like parts of Georgia or even NE due to the foliage. But hey, at this time of year it's warmer I'm sure than where you are. Although, you're not that far north girl.

Oh, they're supposed to have a good zoo. My kid was 9 at the time and we didn't have time to stop though we tried...we were fleeing.
How far away are you from Jacksonville?

acesn8s
05-23-2007, 01:08 AM
I'm going there next week for work for 3-4 days. Working 3PM-midnight, which is my usual shift here. Any ideas on how to spend my days? St Augustine Lighthouse looks awesome. There's also an Aqua Zoo. Anything else I should try to get in while I'm there?

I can't wait to eat real seafood!!!!!

Laid:shrug:

luv
05-23-2007, 01:08 AM
Laid:shrug:
I can't even get that here.

acesn8s
05-23-2007, 01:13 AM
I can't even get that here.Don't be so picky while you are there.;)

05-23-2007, 01:15 AM
Go to Hawaii then

Spott
05-23-2007, 04:26 AM
Yes, there is a beach here in Jacksonville and no it doesn't smell like it used to in parts of town because they got rid of all the paper mills a while back. I have yet to see any alligators running around, although there are some in the river and the ponds.

chop
05-23-2007, 04:56 AM
I'm going there in a couple of weeks myself. I did some work for a customer in Michigan and they have asked me to go there to support the install of the equipment.

DaKCMan AP
05-23-2007, 05:13 AM
Check out the Landings. St. Augustine is close too and they have some nice beaches.

I just moved to Clearwater permanently. It's great here.

chagrin
05-23-2007, 05:23 AM
J'ville is not a very attractive town but it's spread out and there should be plenty for you to do. St. Augustine is awesome, as are all the beach towns down A1A - the road that leads up and down the coast.

Are you going there for work? Orlando is just 2 hours away, or so. If you can make it down here - let me know.

1adam1238
05-23-2007, 05:27 AM
I'm flying into Jacksonville on Saturday. Going to stay the weekend and then drive up to Georgia. Really wierd that you asked about it. I've never been myself...so I will see.

chagrin
05-23-2007, 06:02 AM
I'm flying into Jacksonville on Saturday. Going to stay the weekend and then drive up to Georgia. Really wierd that you asked about it. I've never been myself...so I will see.

What are you coming to Florida for? I extend the same invitation to you as well :)

seclark
05-23-2007, 06:34 AM
i'm sure you can find a sailor to help you out.

the fishing's not too bad.
sec

afchiefs
05-23-2007, 06:39 AM
My son-in-law was stationed in jacksonville. They have a Dave & Buster's (arcade that serves food & beer) that was cool and an all you can eat lobster place. I can't remember the name but they have a VW out front with a giant lobster strapped on top. If you want to see gators, go to gatorland. They hang 1/2 chickens from a line and the gators push off the bottom, get about 4' in the air and snag the chicken. You are about 2 hrs, I think from Orlando - Sea world, Universal Studio, Disney. Well worth the trip. Have fun.

chagrin
05-23-2007, 06:39 AM
i'm sure you can find a sailor to help you out.

the fishing's not too bad.
sec

oh yeah, there's a bunch of different ships that use the port, you'll be fine

Saulbadguy
05-23-2007, 07:17 AM
jacksonville = sucks. Pretty much the worst city in Florida you can go to, other than maybe Pensacola.

Archie F. Swin
05-23-2007, 07:57 AM
I was stationed there in the early '90s. I would imagine its not quite the same town since I left. The River City Brewing Company is [was] a combination 5 star restaurant and microbrewery right on the river downtown. The absolute best chicken wings I've ever had in my life was a a place on the west side of town called Gators Docksides. I went there weekly...yum. I think its on Timiquana(sp?) blvd. Downtown Jacksonville is picturesque, be sure and walk along the seawall/boardwalk along the south bank of the St. Johns river (east of the old blue bridge) , instead of pigeons, they have these huge red chickens. That's right, urban chickens. Kinda weird. St. Augustine is nice, but so is Fernandina Beach, some high dollar real estate there. J'ville all right despite what the haters say.

chagrin
05-23-2007, 08:33 AM
My son-in-law was stationed in jacksonville. They have a Dave & Buster's (arcade that serves food & beer) that was cool and an all you can eat lobster place. I can't remember the name but they have a VW out front with a giant lobster strapped on top. If you want to see gators, go to gatorland. They hang 1/2 chickens from a line and the gators push off the bottom, get about 4' in the air and snag the chicken. You are about 2 hrs, I think from Orlando - Sea world, Universal Studio, Disney. Well worth the trip. Have fun.

This is a prime example of why not to go there, lol! All you have to look forward to is a Dave and Busters and Gators feeding, heh.

Archie F. Swin
05-23-2007, 08:54 AM
I cut this out of the paper while I was living there
http://www.cuddinfish.homestead.com/files/np2.jpg

Mi_chief_fan
05-23-2007, 09:05 AM

Wow, talk about memories. I remember the Times-Union having perhaps the worst sports writers i'd ever seen (even Pete Prisco), and some of the worst analysts i'd ever heard on TV and radio. David Lamb was pretty knowledgable, but Sam Kouvaris was a moron. They had a guy who wrote in a column that then-Georgia quarterback Eric Zeier would be a better quarterback than Kerry Collins (both were in the draft that year), and former Florida WR Jack Jackson would be better than Keyshawn Johnson. I don't even know if Jackson played in the NFL.

And of course, only Lamb picked Nebraska to win the 96 Fiesta Bowl, everyone else picked Florida to win by double digits.

HemiEd
05-23-2007, 09:06 AM
Hey, I was stationed there, going to Navy "A school" when the Chiefs won the Super Bowl!

Suppose it has changed any?

At that time, they boasted about being the largest city in the United States.

Archie F. Swin
05-23-2007, 09:25 AM
now that I think about it...I probably clipped that out of USA Today

Spott
05-23-2007, 02:30 PM
jacksonville = sucks. Pretty much the worst city in Florida you can go to, other than maybe Pensacola.

Orlando and Miami are worse than Jacksonville. Of course, Jacksonville is no shining Mecca like Manhattan, KS either.

DaKCMan AP
05-23-2007, 03:04 PM
I was stationed there in the early '90s. I would imagine its not quite the same town since I left. The River City Brewing Company is [was] a combination 5 star restaurant and microbrewery right on the river downtown. The absolute best chicken wings I've ever had in my life was a a place on the west side of town called Gators Docksides. I went there weekly...yum. I think its on Timiquana(sp?) blvd. Downtown Jacksonville is picturesque, be sure and walk along the seawall/boardwalk along the south bank of the St. Johns river (east of the old blue bridge) , instead of pigeons, they have these huge red chickens. That's right, urban chickens. Kinda weird. St. Augustine is nice, but so is Fernandina Beach, some high dollar real estate there. J'ville all right despite what the haters say.

Gators Dockside has the best wings??? LOL Gators Dockside isn't bad, the one in Gainesville is pretty good too. However, if you want wings -- go to the Tampa Bay area. The original Hooters is here (not that I eat there). Much better than Hooters is Wing House and Mugs n Jugs which both serve huge, awesome wings.