PDA

View Full Version : KING - It’s not easy being Green

C-Mac
05-23-2007, 01:46 PM
It’s not easy being (Trent) Green
Quarterback believes the Chiefs are not treating him fairly on and off the field.
By JASON KING
The Kansas City Star

Trent Green expressed his frustration with the Chiefs’ inability to consummate a trade with the Dolphins.
Whitlock: Peterson has made a mess
Allen stays, but Tynes goes
Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said the battle for the 2007 quarterback job will be “fair” and that all three candidates will be given an “equal opportunity.”

Trent Green doesn’t believe him.

And because of that, Green is becoming more and more vocal about his desire to be traded — preferably to the Miami Dolphins.

“It’s not a fair competition,” Green, the Chiefs’ starter for the last six seasons, said Tuesday. “It’s a weighted competition. I feel like, with what I’ve done the last few years, I deserve more of an opportunity than what’s being presented.”

Green’s comments came after an hourlong workout on the first day of organized team activities (OTAs).

If Green had it his way, he’d have been working out in Miami. Green said Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson promised in March that he’d trade Green to the Dolphins, who are in need of a new quarterback.

But three months later Green still finds himself stuck in Kansas City, where Edwards hasn’t been shy about his desire for a younger quarterback. Despite any comments Edwards may make, Green, 36, said it’s obvious he’s fallen to third in a pecking order that includes second-year pro Brodie Croyle and Damon Huard.

“(Edwards’) comments over the last two or three months have proven that,” Green said. “He had a quote where he said, ‘The rest of the division is playing younger quarterbacks, when you look at San Diego, Denver and Oakland. I need to get younger guys in here, too.’

“Not only that, but he had some comments over the weekend where he said, ‘I want to get younger. I want to give Brodie an opportunity.’ But he’s always very careful to put in a disclaimer at the end where he says, ‘Everyone is equal. Everyone is going to have the same number of reps.’ ”

Green said all three quarterbacks, along with fourth-stringer Casey Printers, took an equal number of snaps during Tuesday’s noncontact workout. But that hardly made Green think that Edwards had changed his thought process.

Green said he’s still holding out hope that the Chiefs will trade him to the Dolphins, where he is close with head coach Cam Cameron and quarterbacks coach Terry Shea. Green has agreed to contract terms with Miami. Holding up things, however, are the terms of the trade.

Green said Tuesday that his decision to attend this week’s OTAs is not an indication that he’s softened his stance regarding his future in Kansas City.

“I still have a responsibility to get ready to play, wherever that is,” Green said. “It’s my job as a professional football player. It doesn’t do me any good to go to Arizona or Florida or California wherever all those workout facilities are and spend time doing that when you can do it right here.

“I have guys that I’ve had a relationship with for six years. Guys I’m used to throwing with and an offense that’s somewhat similar to what we’ve done the last six years and is similar to what they do in Miami. There are a lot of reasons to be here.”

Left guard Brian Waters said he couldn’t respect Green more for the way he’s handling his uncertain future. Waters said the Chiefs’ management has mistreated Green.

“Considering the professional he’s been … I don’t think it’s fair to him,” Waters said. “I don’t think it’s fair. A guy in his position is owed the right to be in a stable position and know where he’s going to be at.

“We all know the shrewdness of this particular football team. Some of the people are going to do what’s best for them.”

Although he has the support of his teammates, Green said he’s beginning to feel like more of an outsider at Arrowhead Stadium. He said Croyle was the one who told him that the Chiefs had fired their quarterbacks coach, and another teammate informed him of the new wrinkles Kansas City was planning for its offense.

“It’s awkward now,” Green said. “Every time I come into lift, it’s ‘What’s your situation? What’s going on?’ I answer that 100 times a day. Guys don’t know how to react to me or treat me. Guys have always felt comfortable coming to me with different circumstances because of the way my career has gone and the things I’ve been through as a player. Now that’s a little awkward for them.

“From a leadership standpoint, I’ve had to step back because I don’t even know my role. I’m just holding them to their word that the deal will get done.”

siberian khatru
05-23-2007, 01:51 PM
How hard would it be to ask Green what he thinks of the fact that Carl Peterson has a higher opinion of Green's value in the NFL than the Dolphins do?

I expect him to say something like "that's out of my hands," but I'd still like to see it asked, instead of "On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being really bad and 10 being even worse, how much have the Chiefs hurt your feelings?"

C-Mac
05-23-2007, 01:58 PM
How hard would it be to ask Green what he thinks of the fact that Carl Peterson has a higher opinion of Green's value in the NFL than the Dolphins do?

I expect him to say something like "that's out of my hands," but I'd still like to see it asked, instead of "On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being really bad and 10 being even worse, how much have the Chiefs hurt your feelings?"
Yes. Trent is having a hard time seperating business from friendship, personal desires. Unfortunately he's one of the good guys stuck in the middle. He really should be critisizing the Dolphins brass equally the same.

StcChief
05-23-2007, 01:58 PM
sure it's easy. Wealthy Football player that needs to retire at 37. Tough work if you can get it.

Messier
05-23-2007, 02:03 PM
For the local media it wouldn't be a story if the Dolphins were at fault, so they're not going to push that angle. All they're interested in is the relationship between the Chiefs and Green. And I love how the radio shows complain that this is going to be a huge distraction, and how bad it is that the Chiefs are making this into a big mess. Yet, it's the media that has been pushing this. Hey, if the media is worried this will be a big distraction then don't ask questions about it, don't make teammates and coaches say things about each other in public, but of course that's exactly what they want.