PDA

View Full Version : SI Report on Herm Press Conference

Buehler445
05-24-2007, 06:52 AM
The things that stood out to me were the following statements:

"After the news conference, Edwards led Damon Amendolara of radio station KCSP away from the group. Out of earshot of the rest of the reporters, the coach gestured forcefully and pointed his finger in the man's face while speaking. They talked for several minutes."

Thats just funny.

And:

"Several veterans, including Pro Bowl guard Brian Waters, have said they believe the organization is not being fair with Green, who was one of the NFL's most productive passers for five straight years until his injury derailed him last September."

Any additional thoughts to the Herm Q&A Thread?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/05/23/bc.fbn.chiefs.edwards.ap/index.html

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- In a heated exchange with reporters Wednesday, Herm Edwards denied Trent Green's charge that he had tried to mislead the veteran quarterback.

Then after the impromptu news conference on the edge of Kansas City's practice field, the obviously upset head coach took a local radio sports talk host aside for what appeared to be a one-on-one scolding.

"The one thing I do is tell the truth," Edwards had told the group. "Maybe some people can't accept that."

Green, in the meantime, went through a second day of drills while a deal that would send him to Miami remained in limbo. The Chiefs will not accept the Dolphins' offer of a supplemental sixth-round draft pick.

The frustrated Green told reporters on Tuesday that the situation was "very awkward" and implied he did not believe Edwards when the coach said competition for the starting job this year will be fair.

Edwards, who spoke with Green earlier on Wednesday, at first said he would not address the quarterback's remarks.

"I met with Trent and I'm not going to comment on what Trent told you guys," he said. "So I'll leave it at that."

But then he launched into an emotional defense of his plan to revamp the Chiefs' aging lineup, which last year was one of the oldest in the NFL.

"There's equal competition at (the quarterback) position, at the wide receiver position, at the defensive line position," said Edwards, who is starting his second year as successor to Dick Vermeil. "There's a lot of different positions that we have to make decisions on, players who are going to be our starters, who's going to be the backup guys.

"This team has been together for six years. We can't lose sight of that. It's won 53 games. Been to two playoff appearances. There are some things I have to do a little bit different that I didn't do last year. And that's my job as the head coach, to make this a competitive environment where guys understand that you have to compete at the professional level."

Green, who did not play well when he returned last season from a severe concussion, said later that he had spoken with Edwards before practice to make sure there were no hard feelings. The first two days or practice all quarterbacks were allowed to run an equal number of plays, or "reps," he said.

"He has a direction he wants to take the team, and I'm fine with that. When you look at it from a reps standpoint, the last few days have been (fair). Like I stated yesterday, there's a lot more that goes into it, there's the salary cap, the way a number of things work.

"Now, from his standpoint, hey, everything's equal and guys are getting the same reps. Yeah, you can argue it either way."

After the news conference, Edwards led Damon Amendolara of radio station KCSP away from the group. Out of earshot of the rest of the reporters, the coach gestured forcefully and pointed his finger in the man's face while speaking. They talked for several minutes.

Several veterans, including Pro Bowl guard Brian Waters, have said they believe the organization is not being fair with Green, who was one of the NFL's most productive passers for five straight years until his injury derailed him last September.

But Edwards said he was only doing what any coach would do.

"We're making a big deal out of this (quarterback) position, but there are a lot of other positions that guys are competing for their jobs, to see if they're going to be the starter, the backup guy. I've always been fair when I've been put in this situation," he said. "I came in the league and learned from a guy named Dick Vermeil how to be fair to players, and that's what I'm going to do. I've always been that way. And any player will tell you that I ever coached."

He also denied the situation was becoming disruptive.

"We're going to create a competitive environment here where all players have a chance to be successful. At the end of the day, that's all I can do as a head coach.

"We're trying to bring some youth in here to maybe push some guys. That's what you want to do with your football team, you want to push guys. You want to make guys compete within your team."

chagrin
05-24-2007, 07:03 AM
I think Herm deflects questions better than any other coach in the NFL. I read his interviews and I tell ya, I come out of them not knowing anymore than I did going in, about what he wants to do.

Chiefnj
05-24-2007, 07:12 AM
Herm just made a name for a reporter nobody ever heard of before. I hope he writes something good about his lecture.

Red Dawg
05-24-2007, 07:20 AM
Fugg Green! He's being an SOB. Miami is to blame for not wanting him as bad as he wants them. We got 6th for Tynes but Green's a starting QB and will be down there. A 4th and no less or he can ride the pine at Arrowhead.

jrowe
05-24-2007, 07:45 AM
Herm just made a name for a reporter nobody ever heard of before. I hope he writes something good about his lecture.

Damon Amendolara = DA on 610 in the mornings. While not the greatest, he's also not a nobody.

htismaqe
05-24-2007, 07:59 AM

MANY people know who he is. He has one of the more popular radio shows in KC.

He talked about it on the show this morning, and it sounds to me like DA needs to have a talk with his good buddy Larry Tynes.

DA interviewed Tynes.

DA asked him about the QB situation and how Herm said one thing weeks ago and now he's saying something else. Wanted to know if Herm was a double-talker.

Tynes said unequivocally that Herm is not a liar, he's a straight-shooter and will always tell you what he's thinking.

Yesterday, during the press conference, Herm went off about people in the media calling him a liar. He said in front of the group that it was "someone" and he would "pull them aside" but he didn't name names.

He pulled DA aside after the conference and lit him up. And this right here is what really go me:

Herm told DA that "a player" came to him and told him that DA had called him a "liar" on the radio.

DA offered him a tape of the show, explained to him EXACTLY what he said, and Herm cooled off and they made good.

Planetman
05-24-2007, 08:09 AM
Did anybody listen to his show today to see if he mentioned it?
As a child, your mother dropped you on your head a lot, didn't she?
He talked about it on the show this morning, and it sounds to me like DA needs to have a talk with his good buddy Larry Tynes.

Buehler445
05-24-2007, 08:20 AM
As a child, your mother dropped you on your head a lot, didn't she?

My bad, I'm a tool. It is early in the stupid morning.

patteeu
05-24-2007, 09:01 AM
MANY people know who he is. He has one of the more popular radio shows in KC.

DA interviewed Tynes.

DA asked him about the QB situation and how Herm said one thing weeks ago and now he's saying something else. Wanted to know if Herm was a double-talker.

Tynes said unequivocally that Herm is not a liar, he's a straight-shooter and will always tell you what he's thinking.

Yesterday, during the press conference, Herm went off about people in the media calling him a liar. He said in front of the group that it was "someone" and he would "pull them aside" but he didn't name names.

He pulled DA aside after the conference and lit him up. And this right here is what really go me:

Herm told DA that "a player" came to him and told him that DA had called him a "liar" on the radio.

DA offered him a tape of the show, explained to him EXACTLY what he said, and Herm cooled off and they made good.

DA didn't really deserve to be accused of actually calling Herm a liar, but I definitely have noticed a good bit of Kevin Keitzman in him the last few days. Yesterday morning, he was exclusively blaming Carl Peterson for the failure to trade Trent and in the interview with Tynes, I did get the impression that he was trying to get Tynes to say that the organization was misleading him and not being fair to him (just like Keitzman did with Green). To Tynes' credit, he was very charitable and positive toward the Chiefs in general and Herm in particular.

htismaqe
05-24-2007, 09:05 AM
DA didn't really deserve to be accused of actually calling Herm a liar, but I definitely have noticed a good bit of Kevin Keitzman in him the last few days. Yesterday morning, he was exclusively blaming Carl Peterson for the failure to trade Trent and in the interview with Tynes, I did get the impression that he was trying to get Tynes to say that the organization was misleading him and not being fair to him (just like Keitzman did with Green). To Tynes' credit, he was very charitable and positive toward the Chiefs in general and Herm in particular.

The thing is, DA might have been LEADING in that direction (I heard the interview) but he definitely DID NOT call Herm a liar.

I don't blame Herm, but I also don't blame DA. Who was the unnamed player who LIED to Herm?

Coogs
05-24-2007, 09:09 AM
Who was the unnamed player who LIED to Herm?

If the Chiefs release a player today, I would guess that would be the one.

Reerun_KC
05-24-2007, 09:11 AM
Herm would never lie! This is blasphemous!

boogblaster
05-24-2007, 09:12 AM
Im sadden that Herm didn't throw a good left-hook ....

Reerun_KC
05-24-2007, 09:13 AM
Im sadden that Herm didn't throw a good left-hook ....

Herms a lover, Not a fighter!

patteeu
05-24-2007, 09:17 AM
The thing is, DA might have been LEADING in that direction (I heard the interview) but he definitely DID NOT call Herm a liar.

I don't blame Herm, but I also don't blame DA. Who was the unnamed player who LIED to Herm?

I agree. I'd imagine that it was Tynes, but it really could have been anyone who might have been listening. And there's also the chance that that player didn't really lie to Herm but that the nature of the DA comments was just garbled in translation.

htismaqe
05-24-2007, 09:18 AM
Herm would never lie! This is blasphemous!

Multiple players have said he wouldn't, including a player that he just shipped off to another team.

rad
05-24-2007, 09:19 AM
Let's not get this thing twisted......

Reerun_KC
05-24-2007, 09:27 AM
Let's not get this thing twisted......

This little whine fest has more twists than a pretzel...

Bob Dole
05-24-2007, 09:29 AM
I think Herm deflects questions better than any other coach in the NFL. I read his interviews and I tell ya, I come out of them not knowing anymore than I did going in, about what he wants to do.

Did you sleep through the Cunningham years?

Chief Henry
05-24-2007, 09:40 AM
This little whine fest has more twists than a pretzel...

The Chiefs are a fricken train wreck. :cuss:

Dammitt Carl

BigChief68
05-24-2007, 10:59 AM
The Chiefs are a fricken train wreck. :cuss:

Dammitt Carl

Its becoming a circus at 1 Arrowhead Drive. :banghead:

Mr. Laz
05-24-2007, 11:13 AM
i wish that reporter would punched him right in the face when he stuck his finger in his face like that.

what a dick

Herman was showboating for the camera and throwing his weight around like an arrogant ass.

good to see that Peterson is still hiring assholes like himself.

Fly O.T. McWall
05-24-2007, 11:16 AM
didn't herm say he wouldn't hesitate to pull trent in the playoff game if he struggled?

HemiEd
05-24-2007, 11:17 AM
So it is Carl's fault that Herm stood up for his reputation? I say good for both of them.

Reerun_KC
05-24-2007, 11:18 AM
didn't herm say he wouldn't hesitate to pull trent in the playoff game if he struggled?

Nope. Herm would never lie to the media or the fans....

Google image of St. Herman.

http://www.skete.com/images/frt/FrT.StHermM.jpg

rad
05-24-2007, 11:19 AM
i wish that reporter would punched him right in the face when he stuck his finger in his face like that.

what a dick

Herman was showboating for the camera and throwing his weight around like an arrogant ass.

I think he was sticking up for himself, and that's OK.

At least he has a spine.

I don't want a coach that swallows whatever yak the media shoots all over him and the team.

booger
05-24-2007, 12:21 PM
Several veterans, including Pro Bowl guard Brian Waters, have said they believe the organization is not being fair with Green, who was one of the NFL's most productive passers for five straight years until his injury derailed him last September.

Several. I keep reading this shit about several players unhappy with how Green is being treated and/or the direction of the offense. How about we get some more names other than Waters.

Tony G doesn't care.

LJ doesn't.

Weigmann might, but he isn't exactly guaranteed to make the team.

Kennison seemed to take the Bowe drafting and the rest of the changes in stride.

Samie Parker must be REALLY pissed off. You know what i'm sayin.

Buehler445
05-24-2007, 12:51 PM

Several. I keep reading this shit about several players unhappy with how Green is being treated and/or the direction of the offense. How about we get some more names other than Waters.

Tony G doesn't care.

LJ doesn't.

Weigmann might, but he isn't exactly guaranteed to make the team.

Kennison seemed to take the Bowe drafting and the rest of the changes in stride.

Samie Parker must be REALLY pissed off. You know what i'm sayin.

That's one thing I noticed too. I don't think they could justify the thought if it were "Brian Waters is unhappy with..." so they just assumed that it was destroying the team. I think as much publicity this is getting, if more people were pissed, we'd know.

booger
05-24-2007, 12:53 PM
That's one thing I noticed too. I don't think they could justify the thought if it were "Brian Waters is unhappy with..." so they just assumed that it was destroying the team. I think as much publicity this is getting, if more people were pissed, we'd know.
That's the way i see it.

htismaqe
05-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Herman was showboating for the camera

Even the person that was on the receiving end of Herm's finger disagrees with that. Sorry, but you're wrong.

How do you react when someone calls you a liar?

Calcountry
05-24-2007, 01:12 PM
I think Herm deflects questions better than any other coach in the NFL. I read his interviews and I tell ya, I come out of them not knowing anymore than I did going in, about what he wants to do.You play to win the game.

htismaqe
05-24-2007, 01:12 PM
FYI, DA himself said that it's OBVIOUS why Herm did it.

His frustration with the Green situation boiled over. He's sick of answering questions about it.

He said there's definitely some friction between Peterson and Herm because Herm wants to move on as quickly as possible, without Trent.

Calcountry
05-24-2007, 01:16 PM

His frustration with the Green situation boiled over. He's sick of answering questions about it.

He said there's definitely some friction between Peterson and Herm because Herm wants to move on as quickly as possible, without Trent.I agree with Herm. Peterson blows, but we all know that.

Reerun_KC
05-24-2007, 01:17 PM

He said there's definitely some friction between Peterson and Herm because Herm wants to move on as quickly as possible, without Trent.

Just wondering? What coach since Peterson has been in KC hasnt been pissed at Carl?

CoMoChief
05-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Fugg Green! He's being an SOB. Miami is to blame for not wanting him as bad as he wants them. We got 6th for Tynes but Green's a starting QB and will be down there. A 4th and no less or he can ride the pine at Arrowhead.

Green isn't makin the trade for Green. How is Green being a SOB? MIA is lowballing us because there aren't any other teams in the running for Green (reportedly ATL is but I don't believe that) and MIA knows that we will release him if a trade doesnt get done. MIA isnt being a SOB theyre just being smart. I would do the same thing. This whole saga falls on Carl's lap if anything.

If you were MIA GM would you trade a 4th rounder for a 37 yr old QB coming off a concussion and what was clearly a poor performance when he came back? I know I wouldnt. MIA is only gonna have Green for at the most 2 seasons. If Green was younger I'm sure this wouldnt be a problem, but he's not...he's one of the oldest active players in the NFL.

CoMoChief
05-24-2007, 01:20 PM
Just wondering? What coach since Peterson has been in KC hasnt been pissed at Carl?

That doesnt mean anything. Coaches get mad at their GM's all the time. It's just the nature of the game and its just like anyone here that gets mad at their boss in the real world.

htismaqe
05-24-2007, 01:20 PM

It happens in every city in the NFL.

The GM and the head coach have far different goals, and many of times those goals conflict with one another.

It's not unique to the Chiefs.

CoMoChief
05-24-2007, 01:24 PM

what a dick

That whole incident with the reporter was off camera IIRC. It's just the other reporters on the field at the time saw it. He did the right choice by not completely blowing up at the guy in front of the camera.

Reerun_KC
05-24-2007, 01:24 PM
It happens in every city in the NFL.

The GM and the head coach have far different goals, and many of times those goals conflict with one another.

It's not unique to the Chiefs.

True, but the ones that can put ego's aside and co-exist, are the ones winning and contending...

Something Carl cant seem to do very often.

htismaqe
05-24-2007, 01:26 PM
True, but the ones that can put ego's aside and co-exist, are the ones winning and contending...

Something Carl cant seem to do very often.

That's not true AT ALL.

The team with the best record in the league last year had the most publicized and most heated rift in the entire NFL.

You're too close to the Chiefs. Take a step back and you'll see that it isn't all that different here than it is anywhere else.

morphius
05-24-2007, 01:32 PM
Green isn't makin the trade for Green. How is Green being a SOB? MIA is lowballing us because there aren't any other teams in the running for Green (reportedly ATL is but I don't believe that) and MIA knows that we will release him if a trade doesnt get done. MIA isnt being a SOB theyre just being smart. I would do the same thing. This whole saga falls on Carl's lap if anything.

If you were MIA GM would you trade a 4th rounder for a 37 yr old QB coming off a concussion and what was clearly a poor performance when he came back? I know I wouldnt. MIA is only gonna have Green for at the most 2 seasons. If Green was younger I'm sure this wouldnt be a problem, but he's not...he's one of the oldest active players in the NFL.
At the same time, you have to get your starting QB, especially if he is new to your personnel, in as soon as possible to learn with the rest of your team. So it is in the Chiefs best interest to hold him a few days into TC until MIA has to do something. The real deadline for us is before the season starts, the deadline for MIA is much sooner.