PDA

View Full Version : FoxSports feeling left out. Weigh in on Green situation.

Coogs
05-24-2007, 10:36 AM
Nothing new of course, but here it is anyway....

Everyone losing in Green situation
Posted: 20 minutes ago

Trent Green worked out in Kansas City as a Chief.

Then he talked to reporters about wanting to be the Dolphins starting quarterback.

Cue up the clown music. There is a full-blown circus going on in Kansas City.

But this act is somewhere between comedic and sad.

Fact is, if the Chiefs were serious about winning this year, Green wouldn't be in this situation. He would be the starter. We wouldn't be having this conversation and Green would be happy.

But the Chiefs are retooling.

I don't know how it got to this stage, now a month after the draft, but the fact that Green is still wearing a Chiefs uniform and working with players and coaches when the organization wants him out is a joke.

The fact that Green is splitting reps with the other quarterbacks in practice, instead of letting Brodie Croyle get needed time with the first unit, is counterproductive to the Chiefs' cause.

And the fact that Green, still a very good quarterback and a fantastic guy, is dangling in the wind, is just wrong.

Green's longtime agent Jim Steiner let us inside the quarterback's head yesterday.

"He is frustrated," Steiner said. "His frustration is turning to anger. He is very disappointed. And the reason he is at the OTAs is because frankly he has some financial ramifications in his contract that he doesn't want to relinquish. If he doesn't satisfy the requirements, those financial requirements will not be paid. The hold up is the offer of a (sixth-round pick) and the asking price of a (fourth-round pick). That's where it stands at the moment. Though, I am even unclear at this point what the Chiefs are asking for if you want to know the truth."

The sides can't strike a balance with a fifth-round pick? A trade can't be worked out for a conditional pick based upon playing time incentives?

Steiner told us, "We're stuck at a point of this transaction where both sides have dug their heels into the sand and it's a tough deal to make at the moment. Again, I think it will get done but I am not quite sure when. Could they agree on a fifth? Possibly. Possibly. But it hasn't happened."

And to make matters worse, and even more unfathomable, Steiner reports that the Dolphins and Chiefs haven't talked in a week.

Let that one sink in.

The Chiefs and Dolphins haven't talked in a week.

You can't make this up.

Kansas City has financial reasons to trade Green. Kansas City has football reasons to trade Green. If the job is Croyle's with Damon Huard as the backup/competition, then it's time for these quarterbacks to work with the starters. Croyle can't develop with Green's omnipresent shadow and bizarre situation hanging over him. I'm sure Croyle, and management for that matter, loved it when Brian Waters raved in the Kansas City Star how Green was still the best quarterback in Kansas City.

Likewise, the Dolphins need Green to develop a rapport with Chris Chambers, Ronnie Brown and company.

"There is more conversation now between me and the Chiefs and me and the Dolphins than between the two clubs," Steiner revealed. "I'm trying to broker the deal and bring everyone together but it's been a slow, and might I add, painful process. They are reversing their position at the moment. Carl is stating they can bring him back and carry him at $7.5 million number. And that may be true, but Trent will never buy into the fact that they want him to come back and compete for the starting job and have it be a fair competition. They want Brodie Croyle to be the quarterback. We know where they want to go. We know what they want to do. We don't want it to be August and they say 'OK, we have to release you.' "

Herm Edwards told the news media in Kansas City yesterday that Green isn't understanding his quest to get younger.

Oh really?

Steiner then added what the entire football world knows.

"He's not going to return. The deal just has to get done. The Chiefs would basically have a worthless asset in Trent Green if they don't move him. And if they don't make the deal, they would have to consider a release. In the end, for what Trent Green has done for the team on and off the field for as long as he has been there, I know it's going to get done."

Oh and one more thing from Green's agent.

"This can get a lot uglier before it gets better."

That's not good for anyone.

Mr. Laz
05-24-2007, 10:52 AM
And the reason he is at the OTAs is because frankly he has some financial ramifications in his contract that he doesn't want to relinquish. If he doesn't satisfy the requirements, those financial requirements will not be paid

translation ..... Green is doing his best to put the screws to the Chiefs

kcxiv
05-24-2007, 10:54 AM
Let me say this again. MIAMI DOES NOT WANT TRENT!

StcChief
05-24-2007, 11:46 AM
Miami want's him if we release him. or conditional no greater than 6th.

Wile_E_Coyote
05-24-2007, 12:04 PM
If Trent would come out and say he is frustrated & will entertain other offers. This would all be over with

bobbything
05-24-2007, 12:09 PM
If Trent would come out and say he is frustrated & will entertain other offers. This would all be over with
Or if the GM's of the Chiefs and Dolphins would do their jobs then this could all be over with. At this point, what is Green supposed to do?

Wile_E_Coyote
05-24-2007, 12:12 PM
Or if the GM's of the Chiefs and Dolphins would do their jobs then this could all be over with. At this point, what is Green supposed to do?

"If Trent would come out and say he is frustrated & will entertain other offers. This would all be over with"

Vegas_Dave
05-24-2007, 12:14 PM

He should realize that the worst situation for him is one where he stays a Chief and gets paid 7.2 MILLION dollars and may not even have to work for it.

The Chiefs have the cap room, I could forsee them holding on to Green for this season.

NewChief
05-24-2007, 12:16 PM
He should realize that the worst situation for him is one where he stays a Chief and gets paid 7.2 MILLION dollars and may not even have to work for it.

The Chiefs have the cap room, I could forsee them holding on to Green for this season.

You could foresee them doing that, but that's far from the worst situation. The worst, and most likely if a deal doesn't happen with the Dolphins, is for him to get cut just before the start of the regular season. Of course, they've let Priest sit at home on his ass and collect paychecks, so maybe they'll pay Trent 7.2 to hold a clipboard. I know that he's spoken of retirement if that situation came up, but I can't imagine turning down 7.2 out of pride or principle or whatever.

Wile_E_Coyote
05-24-2007, 12:16 PM
Trent go have a talk with Al Davis

Wile_E_Coyote
05-24-2007, 12:19 PM
It's already been reported he sent letters to the 31 other teams

bobbything
05-24-2007, 12:22 PM
"If Trent would come out and say he is frustrated & will entertain other offers. This would all be over with"
The only other two teams that had an even slight interest in Green were Detroit and Cleveland. And neither of those got done.

Every other team in the NFL is aware of this situation. There's not much more that can be done by Steiner or Green at this point. If another team needed a QB that badly right now, someone would pony up a 5th or conditional 4th for him.

Wile_E_Coyote
05-24-2007, 12:28 PM
The only other two teams that had an even slight interest in Green were Detroit and Cleveland. And neither of those got done.

Every other team in the NFL is aware of this situation. There's not much more that can be done by Steiner or Green at this point. If another team needed a QB that badly right now, someone would pony up a 5th or conditional 4th for him.

Green has said he will only lower his contract for the Dolphins. If he announces he will entertain other offers. Who knows who may be interested

The Rick
05-24-2007, 12:59 PM
It's these kinds of articles that don't make sense to me. I keep getting the feeling that Trent, Steiner, and others who take Trent's side think that the Chiefs "owe" it to Trent to cave so that the deal can get done.

THE CHIEFS DON'T OWE TRENT GREEN ANYTHING EXCEPT FOR 7.2 MILLION DOLLARS!

From everything I've read, the Chiefs seem willing to pay him the $7.2 million if Miami doesn't offer what they feel is fair trade value.

As for all he's done over the years for the team and the community....great. He has done a lot and he was rewarded nicely with tens of millions of dollars.

:shake:

Buehler445
05-24-2007, 01:00 PM
Fact is, if the Chiefs were serious about winning this year, Green wouldn't be in this situation. He would be the starter.

Wasn't everybody in the known universe asking for Green to be pulled in favor of Huard in the playoff game?

Vegas_Dave
05-24-2007, 01:20 PM
so maybe they'll pay Trent 7.2 to hold a clipboard. I know that he's spoken of retirement if that situation came up, but I can't imagine turning down 7.2 out of pride or principle or whatever.

Thats basically what I meant. If he gets cut before the season, Miami will sign him... so he gets what he wants. 7.2 to hold a clipboard aint too shabby, pride in tact or not.

rad
05-24-2007, 03:47 PM
73% of the nation says it's the Chiefs' fault: (check the poll)

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6845898?MSNHPHMA

beer bacon
05-24-2007, 03:48 PM
73% of the nation says it's the Chiefs' fault:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6845898?MSNHPHMA

Most of the nation also probably believes that a 5th rounder is "middle ground" as well.