PDA

View Full Version : ****Memorial Day Thread****

crazycoffey
05-25-2007, 10:12 AM
I know it's not Memorial Day yet, but the weekend is here and usually we all spend it eating Smoked/BBQ Meats, drinking adult beverages, and hanging out with friends and family. At the lake, on the back deck, or a local tavern, enjoying those freedoms we all take for granted sometimes.

Take a moment to thank a Veteran. Set politics aside and say thank you to a fellow human being that put the ultimate bet on the table and while some won it back, others lost it all.

Also, please share your plans for this weekend, what you are going to eat, where you're going, and who you are visiting, etc. Any Memorial Day memories or traditions are also encouraged.

http://www.history.com/minisites/memorial/

Have a great and safe Weekend, Planeteers!

crazycoffey
05-25-2007, 10:15 AM
I know a few of you on the planet are Vets, I won't start naming, because I don't want to miss anyone, so one big old thank you from me and my family to you and yours. May Americans never forget, and may God Bless the ones that aren't here to thank.....

We are going to the lake of the Ozarks, have some food, beer and a couple cigars.

Probably too busy on the water to actually go out on the boat, but that doesn't matter much, we still have fun. My Dad lives there almost year round and has lots of friends hanging out, playing washers, etc. So that's what we are doing.

What about everyone else?

Simply Red
05-25-2007, 10:19 AM
Braves Game most likely.

Wile_E_Coyote
05-25-2007, 10:26 AM
what cuss words are in the thread title

NewChief
05-25-2007, 10:28 AM
We'll be spending the weekend with my side of our family. We hope to take our son on his first canoe trip (2 year old), but the water may be a little high. If so, I'll probably just float it with my brothers. We'll be staying at our cabin on the Cadron Creek and floating it. Will likely get in some fishing as well. Should be good times.

Fly O.T. McWall
05-25-2007, 10:28 AM
i haven't decided what i'm doing. i'm basically home alone. the wife has to work 12-9.

Pushead2
05-25-2007, 10:30 AM
I was to be in Anaheim but the airline ticket prices were too high

Nzoner
05-25-2007, 10:31 AM
boogity boogity boogity :banghead:

chagrin
05-25-2007, 10:32 AM
I am glad we have these threads each year.

Thank you to all vets on and off Chiefs Planet. It doesn't matter what capacity you served, but swearing an honor to defend freedom takes sacrifice.

I also want to recognize a few people in my family who served:

My Brother - Navy (stateside during first Gulf War as a medic)
My Father - Navy (Surgeon during Vietnam)
My Uncle Walt - multiple Purple Heart holder for service as an infantryman in Vietname for 2 years
My Great Uncle Artell Howard- Korea
My Great Grandfather, Victor - World War 1
My cousin - World War 1 (Woodrow Wilson's interpreter at the treaty of Versailles)
Colonel OP Amacker - US Civil War

There are others that I cannot remember the names of, but I am proud to be related.

Also the men and Women I do not know that carry our flag of the USA, stateside and beyond. I humbly thank you all; I for one am proud to be an American and be protected by our military!

God Bless you all :clap:

pikesome
05-25-2007, 10:47 AM
I just wanted to credit to the Navy Reserve Association. My father, a 34 year Naval retiree, passed away this summer and they sent a LT, a 1st class and a Seaman out to Greensburg KS, the middle of nowhere, for the funeral. My father loved the Navy and his service and for the Navy to honor my father with a bugler and a flag was a gesture that deserves credit. Many people and institutions sent their respects and condolences but it's something special to have the Navy remember my father's years of service and send an honor guard.

chagrin
05-25-2007, 10:51 AM
I just wanted to credit to the Navy Reserve Association. My father, a 34 year Naval retiree, passed away this summer and they sent a LT, a 1st class and a Seaman out to Greensburg KS, the middle of nowhere, for the funeral. My father loved the Navy and his service and for the Navy to honor my father with a bugler and a flag was a gesture that deserves credit. Many people and institutions sent their respects and condolences but it's something special to have the Navy remember my father's years of service and send an honor guard.

I think that's awesome that he was recognized by them :clap:

Nzoner
05-25-2007, 10:53 AM
In all seriousness I'd like to give many thanks to vets everywhere and an extra special one to my little bro who is still serving today.

Iowanian
05-25-2007, 10:54 AM
Everyone should try to head out to a cemetery for the local service they have.

pikesome
05-25-2007, 11:05 AM
Also remember that for every soldier, sailor, airman or marine there is a family that dealt with his or her service. For two of my father's deployments overseas, an airliner had crashed or been shot down leaving from his airport about the time he was supposed to leave. One of those times we had no way of knowing if he was going to get off the plane because my mother hadn't written down his flight number. My mother put her 30+ years in for the US Navy too as a military wife, without her support my father couldn't or wouldn't have stayed.

Donger
05-25-2007, 11:13 AM
Nice thread, crazycoffey.

Easy 6
05-25-2007, 11:24 AM
My thoughts & prayers go out to the 3 servicemen, and their families, who were abducted by Al-Qaeda recently.

If the other 2 are still alive, then God alone knows what horrors they're being subjected to as we speak, its more than i can ponder for more than a few minutes at a time.

If you believe in a God, speak for them to him.

Wrasse
05-25-2007, 11:35 AM
I hope everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend...stay safe!

I always think of this around this time...no idea why but it's one of my father's favorite speeches:

The Man In the Arena

by Theodore Roosevelt
(From a speech delivered in Paris in 1910)

It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat.

To all those who made the ultimate sacrifice for this great country, you have my thanks...including my namesake. To those currently serving, you are all heroes...thank you.

luv
05-25-2007, 12:13 PM
My grandpa (pa pa) was a navy veteran who served in the Korean War. My mom and I are going to the cemetary on Sunday.

KurtCobain
05-25-2007, 12:16 PM
Memorial Day marks one year since my Dad passed away. Old guy always said he'd die on a day he'd be remembered.

RP_McMurphy
05-25-2007, 12:16 PM
This will be a strange Memorial Day for me as for the first time in my life. I will be a Veteran and yes retired. Here's a salute to those still on watch out there.

ZepSinger
05-25-2007, 12:29 PM
My wife's brother died in a motorcycle accident in '83- we go to his grave every year....

Z

pr_capone
05-25-2007, 12:35 PM
I had a short career in the Army as I was given a medical discharge after only 2 years. After leaving the Jehovah's Witnesses, all I ever wanted to do is to wear the uniform... and I got to, even if only for a little while.

A big thank you to those out there who are still walking the wall, and another one to those who were brave enough to wear the uniform in both war and peace time.

Hooah

dtebbe
05-25-2007, 01:54 PM
INDY 500 baby... what else is there on Memorial Day?

And for those of you who say it's lost it's luster... well you've never been.... Because the 500 is like a gold crown. Even if some of the luster is gone... IT'S STILL A FUC&KING GOLD CROWN!

Best of all the cars look like a race car, not a honda civic.....

And I'll have all my Army brothers in mind this weekend.... as well as all other services out there laying it on the line.

DT

chagrin
05-27-2007, 08:16 PM
bump

Slick32
05-27-2007, 08:27 PM
While everyone will be sitting around enjoying the additional time off to remember those that died for the country, or out celebrating the memories of family members that have passed, or in general honoring our military men and women, I will be sitting with my cousin, a Vietnam veteran, that is fighting for his life. This morning the nurse said that he has 24-48 hours left. He is battling renal cancer.

I'd like to recount his life, but words cannot do any justice to what he has been through. The military and Vietnam were probably the best times he had in his life up until the past 3-4 years. He was probably the hardest working man I've ever known and would go without so you could have something you wanted. He did for so many what some of us wouldn't do for our own families.

He will be missed and the legacy that he is leaving behind will keep him in the minds of those of us that knew him and knew how he lived.

He is preparing for a new set of orders and will be working for the Very Supreme Commander soon. I wish him peace in his passing, whenever that time may come.

Demonpenz
05-27-2007, 08:41 PM
I talked to a 69 year old wife of a DC19 pilot on friday. Always interesting for them to descibe the times back then.

Skip Towne
05-27-2007, 08:54 PM
I talked to a 69 year old wife of a DC19 pilot on friday. Always interesting for them to descibe the times back then.
What is a DC19?

Slick32
05-27-2007, 09:00 PM
What is a DC19?

Probably 10 times better than a DC9.

Skip Towne
05-27-2007, 09:04 PM
Probably 10 times better than a DC9.
Wouldn't that be a DC90?

Slick32
05-27-2007, 09:24 PM
Wouldn't that be a DC90?

Maybe it's not as good as I made it out to be!

Beings it's a DC whatever shouldn't this be in the other forum?

Slick32
05-27-2007, 09:26 PM
http://shock.military.com/Shock/videos.do?displayContent=137158&page=1

Slick32
05-27-2007, 09:28 PM
http://shock.military.com/Shock/videos.do?displayContent=137036&page=1

chagrin
05-28-2007, 08:22 AM
bump, for the day

greg63
05-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Have a safe and happy Memorial Day everyone!

God Bless!

JohninGpt
05-28-2007, 10:20 AM
In Memory of BUC(SCW) Joel Baldwin
Killed by suicide bomber
21 Dec, 2004
Mosul, Iraq

Bob Dole
05-28-2007, 10:58 AM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7GYXm7n62nU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7GYXm7n62nU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>