05/26/07 135 Sean Salmon -135 OFF OFF
22:00 ET Alan Belcher +105 OFF OFF

UFC - UFC 71 - Lightweight Matchup
05/26/07 140 Din Thomas -325 OFF OFF
22:00 ET Jeremy Stephens +250 OFF OFF

UFC - UFC 71 - Light Heavyweight Matchup
05/26/07 145 Wilson Gouveia -265 OFF OFF
22:00 ET Carmelo Marrero +205

Remarkably close. I have lost too much betting against Liddell over the years. I have had great success betting on big underdogs though. This one I bet Houston Alexander. That should be a close fight and a great value to bet on. We shall see.

CoMoChief
05-25-2007, 01:45 PM
Quentin Jackson fugged his ass up last time. Wouldnt surprise me if he does it again.

suds79
05-25-2007, 02:12 PM
Quentin Jackson fugged his ass up last time. Wouldnt surprise me if he does it again.

Well I saw Quentin's last fight and I wasn't too impressed.

He'd better bring more to the table than that if we wants to beat Chuck who will have avenged every lost he's ever had some Saturday night.

I'm predicting a 1st round knockout.

Just another day in the office for Liddell.

I'm excited to watch James Irvin also. They don't call him the Sandman for nothing.

Can't wait. PBJ

kcxiv
05-25-2007, 02:17 PM
i have to reactivate my streamtv account. not paying for that shit full price. lol

suds79
05-25-2007, 02:46 PM
I like going to Buffalo Wild Wings for UFC events.

It's free (if you don't count the beer & food) and the atmosphere is generally pretty good as people get into it.

Sully
05-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Buffalo Wild Wings is definitely the palce to go. You can stay home, buy beer, buy food, and then another $50 for the fight... or you can go to Buffalo WIld Wings and spend less than $50 for the food and the beer and the fight together.

Sully
05-25-2007, 04:15 PM
Wow.
ESPN really going all out with the UFC coverage. Just had a debate between Rogan and a boxing promoter, that was pretty good, televising the Liddell-Jackson weigh in on ESPNews...

Good to see.

kcxiv
05-25-2007, 04:17 PM
It was only a matter of time before ESPN seen the money in UFC. I am a boxing fan at heart, but i like all sports. So, i keep track of it all. lol

CoMoChief
05-25-2007, 04:25 PM
UFC is just getting bigger and bigger. I don't really see anything standing in its way.

Boxing is screwed, and the WWE doesn't have any star power anymore after The Rock, Austin, and Hogan are all gone. That and the storylines are just so stupid now to say the least. I mean come on the battle of the millionaires on wrestlmania?!?! And the winner has to shave their heads?

Hell the WWE about a month ago had to have The Rock make an appearance on Raw just to spike up the ratings since they are so bad now.

Eric
05-27-2007, 04:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHoLdaLclJM

keg in kc
05-27-2007, 04:13 PM
Hell the WWE about a month ago had to have The Rock make an appearance on Raw just to spike up the ratings since they are so bad now.I know where you're coming from, but reality is that Raw -on a bad night- carries more than 3 times the viewers of any of Spike's UFC shows. On the other side of the coin, last night's UFC ppv probably had more domestic buys than the last Wrestlemania, and it's been that way for at least 18 months.

Either way, wrestling has a large core fanbase that's not going anywhere. MMA is no more a threat to them than they are to MMA. There's some crossover, but wrestling fans will be wrestling fans regardless of the popularity or staying power that UFC ends up having, and vice versa.

And that was a hell of a knockout.

Mecca
05-27-2007, 04:28 PM
If MMA couldn't bury wrestling in Japan it surely won't happen here.........

Hell UFC while being real pretty much pushes shit based off wrestling to draw money.

I'm not foolish enough to suggest that there aren't enormous fundamental differences between MMA and wrestling, but at the core you are selling the public on the resolution of a conflict between two characters with depth -- with gimmicks if you will. Randy Couture is the Rocky Balboa. Mirko Cro Cop is/was the foreign menace, Ken Shamrock was the UFC forfather who wanted to silence the young punk. The sport itself isn't the draw to most people, if it was PRIDE would draw in America, people would watch the IFL and BODOG, and the folks at the sports bar would actually know who Dan Henderson was. The UFC is all about selling storylines, and that's why people who scoff at the notion that MMA and pro wrestling are promotionally similar are missing the point.

keg in kc
05-27-2007, 04:37 PM
That's a valid point. They basically are outdoing wrestling at wrestling's own game, right now. Hype specials, 'inside' specials, reality show, emphasizing character over skills. Boxing banked off the same concept with De la Hoya/Mayweather, as well. Build your audience however you can.

Mecca
05-27-2007, 04:44 PM
All they're doing is hooking the same demo the WWE hooked in 98 it's just now wrestling isn't cool and MMA is........All you have to do is take a look around a sports bar to know they have hooked that demo.

keg in kc
05-27-2007, 04:45 PM
They may have their Rock in Rampage.

Mecca
05-27-2007, 04:49 PM
Of course the biggest problem with this is........MMA isn't worked so they can lose millions and millions of dollars and storylines if someone loses......CroCop being an example.

Sometimes I think UFC should take a lesson from Pride and feed a few tomato cans to top guys so they can get their big fights......

The reason I won't pay to watch an MMA event, especially one promoted by UFC and Dana White is that they are almost all essentially 1 match cards. If i had paid to watch the one last night I'd have felt totally ripped off.

That promoting is making them money but the 1 match card for 50 bucks doesn't personally appeal to me.

Delano
05-27-2007, 05:17 PM
Of course the biggest problem with this is........MMA isn't worked so they can lose millions and millions of dollars and storylines if someone loses......CroCop being an example.

Sometimes I think UFC should take a lesson from Pride and feed a few tomato cans to top guys so they can get their big fights......

The reason I won't pay to watch an MMA event, especially one promoted by UFC and Dana White is that they are almost all essentially 1 match cards. If i had paid to watch the one last night I'd have felt totally ripped off.

That promoting is making them money but the 1 match card for 50 bucks doesn't personally appeal to me.

Meh, if you follow it closely, the cards have more than one intriguing fight. I do agree that a casual fan can be disappointed with some of the lineups. UFC 73's card looks incredibly deep, but 72 looks kinda shallow.

CoMoChief
05-27-2007, 06:42 PM

Seems like I called it.

keg in kc
05-27-2007, 07:13 PM
Wowzers, according to the LA Times, Liddell is out half a million because of that knockout. He still got a half mil payout, but a win would've netted him another 500K. Ouch.

Jackson got 450K for the win.

58-4ever
05-27-2007, 07:16 PM
Meh, if you follow it closely, the cards have more than one intriguing fight. I do agree that a casual fan can be disappointed with some of the lineups. UFC 73's card looks incredibly deep, but 72 looks kinda shallow.

Yep. Lots of championship fights and the main event isn't even for a belt. 73 looks great.

TrickyNicky
05-27-2007, 07:30 PM
Wow, I knew Liddell was making huge bank, but I didn't think his win bonus was 500K.

I'm happy Slampage won a belt, but I am really not looking forward to watching a good all around fighter like Hendo get manhandled because he is too small at 205 compared with Jackson. I would much rather see him unify the 185 MW belt.

Oh and because I love watching it, here is Andre Arlovski receiving a pimp slap from Werdum:
http://i18.tinypic.com/35k8v1u.gif