PDA

View Full Version : Breaking news ....Brandon Rush back to KU next year ........

ROYC75
05-25-2007, 03:50 PM
Withdrew his name for the draft, will return to KU.

KurtCobain
05-25-2007, 03:51 PM
hellz yez

ROYC75
05-25-2007, 03:51 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2007/news/story?id=2882935

* Comment
* Email
* Print

LAWRENCE, Kan. - Kansas junior guard Brandon Rush withdrew his name from the NBA draft on Friday, citing he wasn't quite ready to jump to the pros.

Brandon Rush

Larry W. Smith/US Presswire

Brandon Rush is returning to Kansas after testing out the NBA draft waters.

Jayhawks coach Bill Self said that Rush's decision to declare for the draft allowed him to see what NBA teams thought of him.

"Brandon has handled the process exactly the way the system was designed and has followed through with everything he said he would do," Self said. "It has always been my goal that Brandon make the best decision for his future. I believe that Brandon will prepare harder than ever to put himself into a position that he will be a very high NBA draft pick after his junior season."

Rush, a two-time All-Big 12 first team member and Naismith Award finalist last season, has led Kansas in scoring each of his first two seasons. Rush averaged 13.8 ppg and 5.6 rpg last season.

He suffered a knee injury recently, but said that incident had little bearing on his decision to withdraw.

"People will think the reason I am returning is because I injured my knee playing in a pickup game," Rush said. "That is not true, but it did re-enforce to me that the time was not right to go to the NBA.

"We have a great team returning and I love my teammates. The people at Kansas and the fans have treated me so well. It is hard to pass up the opportunity to experience another year of that."

Stewie
05-25-2007, 03:52 PM
Cool! The feedback from the scouts probably wasn't great. He's a good college player, not so sure about the NBA.

DMAC
05-25-2007, 03:53 PM
Cool! The feedback from the scouts probably wasn't great. He's a good college player, not so sure about the NBA.They are probably basing that feedback off the other Rush brothers.

KCFalcon59
05-25-2007, 03:56 PM
Good. They need him. Losing Wright wasn't as critical as losing Rush. IMO

ROYC75
05-25-2007, 03:57 PM
I haven't heard anything about a knee injury ?

Anybody else ?

RP_McMurphy
05-25-2007, 04:07 PM
Good choice that will put KU back in the preseason Top 5.

CoMoChief
05-25-2007, 04:13 PM
HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's to another KU Big 12 Title.

Mr. Laz
05-25-2007, 04:34 PM
I think Brandon was just exploring the situation anyway and wasn't planning on going Pro

by declaring he gets to go to the pro evaluation camps ... which increases his exposure for next year. He also gets first hand feedback on what he needs to work on for the Pros so he has a full year to work on them in college.

he also gets a feel of how the whole thing works so when he goes pro next year he will be a camp vet and have an advantage next year.

i expect alot of kids to start doing the same thing ... do a trial run declaration the year before they actually plan to declare for the draft.

StcChief
05-25-2007, 04:36 PM
But I thought all the KUers were NBA material :rolleyes:

JohnnyV13
05-25-2007, 04:36 PM
Rush is smart to come back. He's projected as an early 2nd pick, and being a mid to high first rounder has far more value.

Silock
05-25-2007, 04:50 PM
I always maintained that we didn't need him.

I couldn't help smiling and saying "Yes!" when I read this, though.

Sam Hall
05-25-2007, 05:31 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KO_f8qUaFzc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KO_f8qUaFzc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

KcMizzou
05-25-2007, 05:47 PM
I think Brandon was just exploring the situation anyway and wasn't planning on going Pro

by declaring he gets to go to the pro evaluation camps ... which increases his exposure for next year. He also gets first hand feedback on what he needs to work on for the Pros so he has a full year to work on them in college.

he also gets a feel of how the whole thing works so when he goes pro next year he will be a camp vet and have an advantage next year.

i expect alot of kids to start doing the same thing ... do a trial run declaration the year before they actually plan to declare for the draft.Yep, it's the smart way to play it. Hate to see him back. :p

Mr. Laz
05-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Yep, it's the smart way to play it. Hate to see him back. :p
:p

DJay23
05-26-2007, 07:13 AM
I think it's better for him to come back than it will be for us.

Don't get me wrong, Brandon can put on a show and some nights looks like the best player in college ball. But other nights he gets lazy and that seemed true of a lot of the stars on the team. I was curious this season to see if there would be a spark from a guy like Morningstar or Case. In retrospect, it seems like last year we had too many guys who expected to win because they have always won, because they were McD's All Americans and what have you. We need to get a guy into the rotation who can give the team a lift because of his effort not because of his potential. Sherron was the closest we had to that last year IMO.

Sure-Oz
05-26-2007, 08:58 AM
smart choice

the Talking Can
05-26-2007, 09:14 AM
I'm thrilled he is back. But I feel sorry for him.

He was moving up the draft boards and would have been taken around 20.

He's only back because of the knee and now he has to rehab, stay healthy for another college season, and dominate to prove he's ok...I wish him luck.

the Talking Can
05-26-2007, 09:16 AM
I think it's better for him to come back than it will be for us.

Being within inches of signing a 1st contract, then injuring your knee and having to play another year of college ball on a rehabed knee = "it's better for him than us"..???

this is all upside for KU, and all downside for Rush

Demonpenz
05-26-2007, 09:31 AM
good for him. I don't watch college much, but he would get schooled by players like steven jackson every night. Just doesn't have that mental toughness yet.

DJay23
05-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Being within inches of signing a 1st contract, then injuring your knee and having to play another year of college ball on a rehabed knee = "it's better for him than us"..???

this is all upside for KU, and all downside for Rush
You have to understand that I look at things from a pure basketball standpoint. Sure he'd get drafted, sign his contract, and get his money. But Brandon Rush is not NBA ready...yet. If he were to go now, he'd wallow in anonymity on someone's bench and then MAYBE turn into a 6th-man journeyman later in his career, IF he's lucky. As far as basketball goes, this is good for him. As far as the wallet goes, it's bad.

I still stand by my point that KU needs a spark from someone who didn't come to KU with the proverbial silver spoon in their mouth when it comes to basketball.

the Talking Can
05-26-2007, 10:32 AM
You have to understand that I look at things from a pure basketball standpoint. Sure he'd get drafted, sign his contract, and get his money. But Brandon Rush is not NBA ready...yet. If he were to go now, he'd wallow in anonymity on someone's bench and then MAYBE turn into a 6th-man journeyman later in his career, IF he's lucky. As far as basketball goes, this is good for him. As far as the wallet goes, it's bad.

I still stand by my point that KU needs a spark from someone who didn't come to KU with the proverbial silver spoon in their mouth when it comes to basketball.

who came with a "silver spoon in their mouth"?

and you don't turn down a 1st round contract...Rush has a money stroke from 3, all world athleticism, and is a lock down defender...he is Bruce Bowen...at the worst

one more year of college is meaningless, it only costs him money...that's one more year he hs to wait to get his second contract....

DJay23
05-26-2007, 10:39 AM

and you don't turn down a 1st round contract...Rush has a money stroke from 3, all world athleticism, and is a lock down defender...he is Bruce Bowen...at the worst

one more year of college is meaningless, it only costs him money...that's one more year he hs to wait to get his second contract....
A silver spoon as it applies to athletic ability and overall skill. I want to see guys who maybe have to work a little harder get some time on the floor.

convict1983
05-26-2007, 02:06 PM
And the Jayhawks will still miss the Final Four. ROFL

Self sucks.

sedated
05-26-2007, 02:47 PM
I'mHe was moving up the draft boards and would have been taken around 20.

He's only back because of the knee

that's the exact opposite of what I've heard.

he was projected around pick 39 during the last moch-draft, his stock had slipped from the end of the 1st round. (although that may have been because of the knee)

sedated
05-26-2007, 02:50 PM
But I thought all the KUers were NBA material :rolleyes:

hm, so everyone who is a high draft pick or is a great player has reached his full potential after his sophomore year?

Stewie
05-26-2007, 02:57 PM
And the Jayhawks will still miss the Final Four. ROFL

Self sucks.

Aren't you supposed to be getting some pussy?

KU has reached the Final Four many times + Nat'l Championships. Of course, not getting the pussy you say you're gonna get will only get you the Final Five.

ROYC75
05-26-2007, 04:34 PM

That depends on where he is drafted next year. If he has a bad year, drafts badly, it will be horror for him. If he excells and has a great year, drafts top 5, he will come out ahead in the long run. But he must go top 5 to get the cash that he missed out for the one year.

convict1983
05-26-2007, 05:24 PM
Aren't you supposed to be getting some pussy?

KU has reached the Final Four many times + Nat'l Championships. Of course, not getting the pussy you say you're gonna get will only get you the Final Five.

Umm dude, its like 4:30 here. I have all night for that. :)

As for the Gayhawks, I love how Kansas fans bring up "uh oh well, we have plenty of Final Fours and National Champs".
Yeah, from 1988. ROFL

Keep bringing up the past cause there wont be much to brag about under Self. How many 5 star recruits did he have this year and still couldnt get to the Final 4????

ROYC75
05-26-2007, 08:05 PM
Umm dude, its like 4:30 here. I have all night for that. :)

As for the Gayhawks, I love how Kansas fans bring up "uh oh well, we have plenty of Final Fours and National Champs".
Yeah, from 1988. ROFL

Keep bringing up the past cause there wont be much to brag about under Self. How many 5 star recruits did he have this year and still couldnt get to the Final 4????

WOW, the FF is a crap shoot tourney, only 1 team a year gets to win it. Really sucks for the other 300 - 400 Div. 1 schools doesn't it. Damn the luck..........

BTW, don't you know that rival fans " suck " ? If not, you do now .......

DJay23
05-26-2007, 08:14 PM
WOW, the FF is a crap shoot tourney, only 1 team a year gets to win it. Really sucks for the other 300 - 400 Div. 1 schools doesn't it. Damn the luck..........

BTW, don't you know that rival fans " suck " ? If not, you do now .......
Leave the fella alone Roy. He's trying to overcompensate for his microscopic penis...or choice of a shitty college hoops team, can't really tell which one at this point.

chiefqueen
05-27-2007, 06:01 AM
Sad bump, according to his brother Jaron, I know, probably not the most credible source, Brandon tore his ACL.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2007/may/27/brother_says_rush_tore_acl/?mens_basketball

Lzen
05-27-2007, 07:03 AM
Well, that sucks for Brandon. I wonder how soon he will be back from that injury. Perhaps he will be back by the start of the season. It would be great if he comes back, improves his game, and ends up going top 10 in the NBA draft next year. After a nat'l title, of course. :)

Saulbadguy
05-27-2007, 07:47 AM
Well, that sucks for Brandon. I wonder how soon he will be back from that injury. Perhaps he will be back by the start of the season. It would be great if he comes back, improves his game, and ends up going top 10 in the NBA draft next year. After a nat'l title, of course. :)
4 to 6 months.

Silock
05-27-2007, 08:13 AM
I don't think he tore his ACL. If he did, he won't be playing for us in the fall. Maybe by January.

mikeyis4dcats.
05-27-2007, 11:04 AM
I don't think he tore his ACL. If he did, he won't be playing for us in the fall. Maybe by January.

yeah, Self and Jaron are botrh full of shit, obviously.

Demonpenz
05-27-2007, 11:10 AM
yeesh the scouts already said he had trouble moving latterely with the amount of talent coming out of ncca next year he might not get drafted

Silock
05-27-2007, 12:04 PM
yeah, Self and Jaron are botrh full of shit, obviously.

Where did Self say that he tore his ACL? All I've heard is that he injured his knee. There can be a million knee injuries that aren't torn ACLs.

sedated
05-27-2007, 09:48 PM
as long as he's back for the end of the regular season and hits his stride by the tourney its all good.

even if it effects him the whole year, that just means he'll be back for his senior year.

big picture, people.

royr17
05-27-2007, 11:03 PM
as long as he's back for the end of the regular season and hits his stride by the tourney its all good.

even if it effects him the whole year, that just means he'll be back for his senior year.

big picture, people.

Agreed . It's not the end of the world for this guy.

Imon Yourside
05-28-2007, 12:41 AM
This was probably for the best anyways, great for us Rock Chalkers. David Stern called this the deepest draft in 20 years but Rush was moving up to somewhere between 16-22 on most draft boards. Torn ACL would really hurt him tho, i don't think he will play until the spring semester if that is the case. If he has a great year next year he could easily slip into the lottery. His biggest weakness is his ball handling so he can work on that even with the injury.

chiefqueen
05-28-2007, 07:32 AM

big picture, people.

Next year, may be a "now or never" proposition for him. If he completes all of his eligibility he will be 24 when he enters the draft. (24 is VERY old for a NBA rookie.)

Silock
05-28-2007, 09:06 AM
It may or may not be a torn ACL.

http://www.kansas.com/sports/story/80773.html

Mr. Laz
05-28-2007, 10:28 AM
4 to 6 months.

he has time......

2007-2008 SCHEDULE

Date Opponent / Event Location Time / Result
11/01/07 vs. Pittsburg St Lawrence, Kan. TBA
11/06/07 vs. Fort Hays State Lawrence, Kan. TBA
11/09/07 vs. Louisiana-Monroe Lawrence, Kan. TBA
Jayhawk Invitational
11/11/07 TBD Lawrence, Kan. TBA
11/15/07 TBD Lawrence, Kan. TBA
11/21/07 TBD Lawrence, Kan. TBA
11/25/07 vs. Arizona Lawrence, Kan. TBA
11/28/07 vs. Florida Atlantic Lawrence, Kan. TBA
12/01/07 at USC Los Angeles, Calif. TBA
12/05/07 vs. Eastern Washington Lawrence, Kan. TBA
12/08/07 vs. DePaul Lawrence, Kan. TBA
12/15/07 vs. Ohio Kansas City, Mo. (Sprint Center) TBA
12/18/07 at Georgia Tech Atlanta, Ga. TBA
12/22/07 vs. Miami (Oh) Lawrence, Kan. TBA
12/29/07 vs. Yale Lawrence, Kan. TBA
01/05/08 at Boston College Boston, Mass. TBA
01/08/08 vs. Loyola (Md) Lawrence, Kan. TBA

Sam Hall
05-28-2007, 10:58 PM
Rush has a torn ACL and may not play until December.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2885237

carlos3652
05-29-2007, 11:08 AM
Ouch...

carlos3652
05-29-2007, 11:09 AM
Kansas' Rush will undergo knee surgery

By DOUG TUCKER, AP Sports Writer
May 29, 2007

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Kansas guard Brandon Rush, who withdrew last week from the NBA draft, has a torn ACL in his right knee and will undergo surgery.

Rush plans to return to Kansas for his junior season, but he could be out for as long as six months. He injured the knee in a pickup game last week when he landed awkwardly.

ADVERTISEMENT

"There's no way to know how long it will take him to get back," Kansas coach Bill Self told The Associated Press. "A lot will depend on how hard he works at rehab."

Rush led the team in scoring with 13.8 points and helped the Jayhawks win a second straight Big 12 championship. He did not hire an agent after saying he would test the NBA draft, so his eligibility has not been compromised.

Self is hopeful Rush will be back sooner rather than later.

"The surgery is so much more advanced than it was just a few years ago," Self said. "If things go well, he may not miss any games at all."