PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs #5 in Linebacker rating per Sporting News

C-Mac
05-25-2007, 07:24 PM
AFC focus: All raves for Ravens linebackers
By SN correspondents - SportingNews

Sporting News' AFC correspondents shift their focus to the top units of linebackers in the conference:

1. Ravens. Ray Lewis and Bart Scott communicate well on the inside. Terrell Suggs always has been a force as an outside pass rusher, but now he plays the run well, too. Jarret Johnson is strong against the run.

1. Chargers. It's difficult to imagine two better outside pass rushers on the same team than Shawne Merriman and Shaun Phillips. The inside is new, with Matt Wilhelm replacing Donnie Edwards and Stephen Cooper taking over for Randall Godfrey.

3. Dolphins. Joey Porter is a big addition on the outside, but the unit's strongest spot is the middle, where Zach Thomas continues to play at a Pro Bowl level. With Channing Crowder developing on the weak side, this group could be a huge difference-maker in the team's success.

4. Patriots. Adding Adalius Thomas to a mix that includes the cerebral Tedy Bruschi and Mike Vrabel in the middle, as well as solid pass rusher Rosevelt Colvin, makes the starting four formidable. The expected return of Junior Seau will provide badly needed depth.

5. Chiefs. Derrick Johnson, Donnie Edwards and middle linebacker Napoleon Harris fit well in the cover 2. Kendrell Bell is the top backup and will have a role as a rusher in passing situations.

6. Broncos. D.J. Williams must prove he can be instinctive in the middle. Ian Gold may be the fastest outside linebacker in the league. Warrick Holdman, the other likely starter, isn't a star but always is around the ball.

7. Jaguars. Mike Peterson is one of the league's top five middle linebackers. Outside starters Clint Ingram and Daryl Smith are young but proven.

8. Titans. Keith Bulluck and David Thornton tackle well and can match up against running backs and tight ends in coverage. Stephen Tulloch is battling Ryan Fowler to start in the middle.

9. Texans. The team upgraded in the offseason by acquiring Danny Clark and Shawn Barber. They will compete with Shantee Orr on the outside. In the middle, DeMeco Ryans is the defense's unquestioned leader.

10. Raiders. Kirk Morrison anchors the middle. Thomas Howard made an immediate impact as a rookie. Injury-prone Sam Williams still is trying to settle into a comfort zone.

11. Steelers. Clark Haggans is solid on the left side, but James Harrison must fill Joey Porter's shoes on the right. On the inside, James Farrior is the team's best linebacker, and Larry Foote plays well when he has a good supporting cast.

12. Jets. They are set on the outside with Bryan Thomas and Victor Hobson. On the inside, undersized Jonathan Vilma has struggled in the 3-4, and Eric Barton will be challenged by second-round pick David Harris.

13. Browns. Kamerion Wimbley and D'Qwell Jackson more than lived up to expectations as rookie starters. Willie McGinest is slipping, but he'll join Wimbley and Antwan Peek in a rotation on the outside. Andra Davis will start alongside Jackson in the middle.

14. Bengals. If newcomer Ed Hartwell can stay healthy, he will take on a leadership role for middleman Ahmad Brooks and Rashad Jeanty. This unit has talent but lacks experience playing together.

15. Colts. Gary Brackett returns as the inside starter, and Rob Morris likely will open camp as the strongside starter. The rest of the cast is unproven. Freddy Keiaho is the leading candidate to replace Cato June on the weak side.

16. Bills. Angelo Crowell, Keith Ellison and rookie Paul Posluszny fit well in the team's cover 2 because they run well and attack the line of scrimmage. Still, there is no star here.

Hammock Parties
05-25-2007, 07:26 PM
REPOST

C-Mac
05-25-2007, 07:27 PM
REPOST
I did do a search engine..oh well.

They also ranked 7th on defensive ends.
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=208472

chagrin
05-25-2007, 07:31 PM
Is Turk really going to be ready to start for KC the first 4 games? I mean he was a part time starter only, I know we drafted him 2nd but still - anyone?

siberian khatru
05-25-2007, 07:32 PM
I was excited until I saw this:

Kendrell Bell is the top backup and will have a role as a rusher in passing situations.

Wile_E_Coyote
05-25-2007, 07:37 PM
this had to be written before the Jets picked up Hicks or the 12 rating is a joke

Chieftain58
05-25-2007, 07:53 PM
REPOST
So, you just typed "Repost" to up your post count. Which one is worse?

Wile_E_Coyote
05-25-2007, 07:55 PM
So, you just typed "Repost" to up your post count. Which one is worse?

nice comeback on your 666th post

RealSNR
05-25-2007, 09:08 PM
The TEXANS at 9?

This joker obviously doesn't remember how well Shaun Barber played the last time he signed on a team with a shitty defense. He's only as good as the people around him.

Mr. Laz
05-25-2007, 09:17 PM
they haven't played a single snap together .... 5th is pretty optimistic.

let's hope so

kcchiefsus
05-25-2007, 09:25 PM
they haven't played a single snap together .... 5th is pretty optimistic.

let's hope so

Who cares though. Their are other team with corps who have not played a snap together.

Heck, Denver has D.J. Williams who hasn't played middle linebacker since high school.

San Diego has two new starters at inside linebacker.

Easy 6
05-25-2007, 10:21 PM
Is Turk really going to be ready to start for KC the first 4 games? I mean he was a part time starter only, I know we drafted him 2nd but still - anyone?

Thats a good question, my guess is no & of course i hope to be wrong, but he would have to come out like a Bezerker to keep Wilkerson from getting more snaps at DE.

My $$$ says we see a lot of "Top" Jimmy this year & that may not be a bad thing, it seemed like announcers were calling his name atleast every other play he was in for in 06. IMO he could be a solid vet who holds the fort, while the Turk adjusts his fez.

DJay23
05-25-2007, 10:54 PM
Entire AFC West in the top 10

kcchiefsus
05-25-2007, 11:04 PM
Thats a good question, my guess is no & of course i hope to be wrong, but he would have to come out like a Bezerker to keep Wilkerson from getting more snaps at DE.

My $$$ says we see a lot of "Top" Jimmy this year & that may not be a bad thing, it seemed like announcers were calling his name atleast every other play he was in for in 06. IMO he could be a solid vet who holds the fort, while the Turk adjusts his fez.

I was pretty sure Herm Edwards has already said that Turk will be taking Allen's place at right end. Granted things could change during training camp but I thought that was the way things were as of now.

Direckshun
05-25-2007, 11:15 PM
I did do a search engine..oh well.

They also ranked 7th on defensive ends.
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=208472
Bullshit. Tamba & Jared is a top 5 starting combo, and Turk looks more and more like a clone of Tamba. Wilkerson is a solid career backup.

That's a top 5 unit, people. I wouldn't take the Bills DEs over ours, who are more productive and younger, nor the Dolphins' DEs outside of JT, and he's what, 34?

Give them a strong push from great DTs, and I bet they can be top 3.

Easy 6
05-25-2007, 11:27 PM
I was pretty sure Herm Edwards has already said that Turk will be taking Allen's place at right end. Granted things could change during training camp but I thought that was the way things were as of now.

So Herm is just gonna HAND the starter spot to a ROOKIE, sight unseen???

I doubt it.

Turks gonna see plenty of situational duty right away, but i'm on record...Jimmy gets more reps in the first 4 games atleast.

beer bacon
05-26-2007, 12:02 AM
Bullshit. Tamba & Jared is a top 5 starting combo, and Turk looks more and more like a clone of Tamba. Wilkerson is a solid career backup.

That's a top 5 unit, people. I wouldn't take the Bills DEs over ours, who are more productive and younger, nor the Dolphins' DEs outside of JT, and he's what, 34?

Give them a strong push from great DTs, and I bet they can be top 3.

I was just about to say this exact same thing. KC should be ranked 5th ahead of Miami and Buffalo. The writer mentioned that Allen and Tamba are good pass rushers, but he didn't mention that they are just all around good DEs. The only other AFC defenses with better all around DEs are SD, NE, and Baltimore.

I would also put the Chargers at #2 in front of Baltimore. Everyone talks about how great Merriman and Phillips are, but SD's defense would fall apart without Igor and Castillo.

Direckshun
05-26-2007, 12:05 AM
I was just about to say this exact same thing. KC should be ranked 5th ahead of Miami and Buffalo. The writer mentioned that Allen and Tamba are good pass rushers, but he didn't mention that they are just all around good DEs. The only other AFC defenses with better all around DEs are SD, NE, and Baltimore.

I would also put the Chargers at #2 in front of Baltimore. Everyone talks about how great Merriman and Phillips are, but SD's defense would fall apart without Igor and Castillo.
If our new, deep DT position pans out and our young guys develop, we're looking at top 3.

Reaper16
05-26-2007, 01:12 AM
If the DT depth pans out, we're looking at one good-ass defense. A pass rush from the ends and tackles? Plus 3 fast linebackers? That makes our big money corners into the playmakers thier salaries call for. I like this optimistic feeling.

htismaqe
05-26-2007, 06:25 AM
So Herm is just gonna HAND the starter spot to a ROOKIE, sight unseen???

I doubt it.

Turks gonna see plenty of situational duty right away, but i'm on record...Jimmy gets more reps in the first 4 games atleast.

Herm said Turk was gonna start in place of Jared Allen. He said that you won't be able to keep the guy off the field.

Easy 6
05-26-2007, 10:54 AM
Herm said Turk was gonna start in place of Jared Allen. He said that you won't be able to keep the guy off the field.

I must have missed that quote, we know Herm wants younger players in there, but he hasnt even went full pads or had full contact scrimmages against other pro's yet.

If the guy looks good enough for Herm to be able to make that call so soon, then Hallelujah.

Thig Lyfe
05-26-2007, 11:14 AM
I hope DJ stays healthy this year.

htismaqe
05-26-2007, 12:35 PM
I must have missed that quote, we know Herm wants younger players in there, but he hasnt even went full pads or had full contact scrimmages against other pro's yet.

If the guy looks good enough for Herm to be able to make that call so soon, then Hallelujah.

To be fair to you, Herm said those things after watching the guy on film. He still has to go out and do it against NFL competition.

But Herm did say it.

kcchiefsus
05-26-2007, 12:40 PM
To be fair to you, Herm said those things after watching the guy on film. He still has to go out and do it against NFL competition.

But Herm did say it.

Yeah, that was my point.

I heard the same thing where Herm said McBride was likely the starter at right end.

However, things very well could change during training camp. We will see.

TRR
05-26-2007, 01:12 PM
KC is depending a lot on Turk and Tank this season. If they both bomb, then we are back to counting on guys like Jimmy Wilkerson, James Reed, and and Ron Edwards. Hopefully one of the two really gives KC a solid season. By years end, KC may have a starting DL of Hali, Tank, Turk, and Allen. Although you would think that Edwards, Reed, and Boone would give them a run for their money as well.

Direckshun
05-26-2007, 01:19 PM
KC is depending a lot on Turk and Tank this season. If they both bomb, then we are back to counting on guys like Jimmy Wilkerson, James Reed, and and Ron Edwards. Hopefully one of the two really gives KC a solid season. By years end, KC may have a starting DL of Hali, Tank, Turk, and Allen. Although you would think that Edwards, Reed, and Boone would give them a run for their money as well.
Exactly.

Even if Tank and Turk live up to expectations, there's only a bit of a drop from Turk to Wilkerson, and very little drop from Tank to the rest of our DT core.

CoMoChief
05-26-2007, 01:29 PM
RE - Jared Allen
DT - Tank Tyler
DT - Turk McBride
LE - Tamba Hali
ROLB - Donnie Edwards
MLB - Napolean Harris
LOLB - Derrick Johnson
CB - Ty Law
CB - Patrick Surtain
FS - Jarrad Page
SS - Benard Pollard

Is it crazy enough to think by the end of the year we could have a top 10 defense?

CoMoChief
05-26-2007, 01:35 PM
The talent we have on the Dline is just so much better now than what it was when DV was here. Hali,Allen,Tyler,McBride,Boone,Reed,Edwards, and Wilkerson are so much better than....
Hicks,Holliday,Freeman,Downing,Browning,Sims,Siavii,Truluck,Hall.

Direckshun
05-26-2007, 01:36 PM
The talent we have on the Dline is just so much better now than what it was when DV was here. Hali,Allen,Tyler,McBride,Boone,Reed,Edwards, and Wilkerson are so much better than....
Like night and day.

Easy 6
05-26-2007, 01:38 PM

Just seeing all of those names in a row makes me wanna go break something.

keg in kc
05-26-2007, 01:38 PM
Is it crazy enough to think by the end of the year we could have a top 10 defense?What were they last year? 16th? 12th in scoring?

Doesn't sound that crazy to me to think they might improve a half-dozen spots.

kcchiefsus
05-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Exactly.

Even if Tank and Turk live up to expectations, there's only a bit of a drop from Turk to Wilkerson, and very little drop from Tank to the rest of our DT core.

Bullcrap.

He is not guaranteed to pan out but Tank Tyler is 10 times the talent of any of the other defensive tackles on our roster. As far as talent is concerned their is a big dropoff from Tank tot he rest of our DT core.

Adept Havelock
05-26-2007, 04:01 PM
Just seeing all of those names in a row makes me wanna go break something.

Really? It just makes me want to wander around and allow several thousand yards rushing.

rtmike
05-26-2007, 04:13 PM
I know we've been spoiled for so many years with the stellar offense, but it sure is nice the defense being ranked in the top ten again after all these years.