PDA

View Full Version : Another day, another Bengal in jail.

TinyEvel
05-26-2007, 01:28 PM
Jeez! WTF is up with this team?

(from espn.com)

A.J. NICHOLSON IN FLORIDA JAIL FOR ALLEGEDLY VIOLATING PROBATION

First the domestic abuse charge filed against A.J. Nicholson last week landed him in the unemployment line. Now it has landed the former Cincinnati Bengals linebacker, released by the team on Monday afternoon, in jail.

Nicholson
Officials at the Leon County, Fla., jail confirmed Saturday afternoon that Nicholson is being held there for allegedly violating the terms of his probation. The Cincinnati Enquirer first reported Saturday that Nicholson had been jailed in Florida.

A spokesperson said Nicholson will be held in the jail until a probation revocation hearing is convened, but could not say when that hearing is scheduled.

A former Florida State standout, Nicholson was placed on two years' probation in Florida after he served 60 days at a work camp in 2006 on charges that he broke into the apartment of a former Seminoles teammate while still in college. Last week, Nicholson was charged with misdemeanor assault after allegedly striking the mother of his two-year-old son.

On Monday, Nicholson pleaded not guilty to a fourth-degree assault charge, and the woman involved in the case, Victoria Johnson, recanted her original contention that Nicholson had struck her. But officials in Kenton County, Ky. refused to drop the charges, which carry a maximum sentence of one year. Nicholson faces a May 31 pre-trial hearing and possible revocation of his probation in Kentucky.

Just hours after Nicholson entered the not guilty plea, the Bengals released him. He was not claimed on waivers by any other NFL team. Shortly after that, Florida officials, informed of the charges in Kentucky, arrested Nicholson for the alleged probation violation.

Nicholson, 23, was selected by the Bengals in the fifth round of the 2006 draft and signed a four-year, $1.77 million contract that included a $159,000 signing bonus. But he appeared in just two games as a rookie and did not register a tackle.

Cincinnati has bolstered its linebacker corps in the offseason and, even without his latest legal entanglements, Nicholson might have been hard pressed to earn a roster spot.

CoMoChief
05-26-2007, 01:38 PM
Repost, but this guy is just a dumbass and probably needs to get kicked out of the league for good. Marvin Lewis would call it "profiling".

chagrin
05-26-2007, 03:59 PM
I thought this was a new case, still though, disturbing. I'm sorry folks but Coach Lewis should know well enough that character takes precedent over skill at some point. His team really has a chance to be special but he's going to have to have someone assert their leadership and bring everyone together there.

Adept Havelock
05-26-2007, 04:10 PM
I thought this was a new case, still though, disturbing. I'm sorry folks but Coach Lewis should know well enough that character takes precedent over skill at some point. His team really has a chance to be special but he's going to have to have someone assert their leadership and bring everyone together there.

"Someone" is bringing them together, one player at a time. The US Judicial system.

pikesome
05-26-2007, 04:51 PM
Maybe it's all part of a scheme to field a "Longest Yard" type team. At the rate the NFL seems to be going the best team in football might be the Cell Block C All-stars.

Tribal Warfare
05-26-2007, 04:54 PM
I thought the bengals cut him

OnTheWarpath15
05-26-2007, 04:56 PM
I thought the bengals cut him

They did. Last week.