PDA

View Full Version : Marquise Hill missing following Jet Ski Accident

Coogs
05-28-2007, 10:53 AM
Coast Guard searching for Hill

Associated Press
Posted: 37 minutes ago

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - U.S. Coast Guard rescue crews continued searching Lake Pontchartrain on Monday for New England Patriots defensive end Marquise Hill, who was reported missing following a jetski accident.

"We searched throughout the night," said Petty Officer Tom Atkeson.

Marquise Hill played on LSU's 2004 national championship team before being drafted by New England in the second round. Hill's agent, Albert Elias, said he had been told Hill and a young woman were jetskiing Sunday in the lake when both of them went into the water, which had a strong current. Elias said the woman was able to make it to a pylon and hang on until she was rescued, while Hill was last scene floating away from the scene.

"I'm an optimistic guy," Elias told WWL Radio in New Orleans. "He's a strong kid and a fighter."

Hill played on LSU's 2004 national championship team and was drafted in the second round by New England.

The Coast Guard was using both boats and a helicopter search the shoreline, Atkeson said. Wildlife and Fisheries was using a recovery line that drags the bottom of the water.

A call came in around 9:30 p.m. Sunday, Atkeson said. The woman, whose identity was not available Monday morning, was rescued and sent to Tulane Medical Center where she told them Hill had tried to keep her calm even as the two were drifting away from each other.

Neither Hill nor the woman wore a life preserver, Atkeson said.

"It's so important to have a life jacket and a signaling device," Atkeson said. "One keeps you afloat and the other helps us find you."

Elias said Hill has spent much of his time since Hurricane Katrina helping family members rebuild their homes.

JohninGpt
05-28-2007, 10:58 AM
Why do people ride jetski's without life jackets? The ones they make these days aren't bulky or geeky, and they make you float...not drown.

Phobia
05-28-2007, 11:02 AM
That's a shame. He sounds like a decent human being.

OTOH, it shows why NFL contracts have dangerous activities clauses. I don't know if jet skiing is included but ask Arrowman if PWC use is dangerous.

Demonpenz
05-28-2007, 11:03 AM
I ususally just grab a lime. They always seem to float to the top

Demonpenz
05-28-2007, 11:04 AM
When I jet ski if i am going to dick around it is going to be at a smaller lake. I won't take one out anymore into LOZ. I have played chicken with 40 footers one to many times.

Athis
05-28-2007, 11:11 AM
In another story I read, he had been rescued but jumped back in the water to save the women. That lake is very dangerous, alot of currents.

Hill missing after jetski accident
By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff | May 28, 2007

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Patriots defensive end Marquise Hill is believed to be missing after a jetski accident in Louisiana on Sunday.

"I'm just trying to hold out hope," said Albert Elias, Hill's agent. "We're praying."

The 24-year-old Hill, a native of New Orleans, was operating a jetski on Lake Pontchartrain Sunday when he fell off into a strong current, according to Elias.

Elias said Hill and a young woman were both operating jetskis when they were thrown in different directions. A passing boat had briefly picked up the man, but he jumped back in the water to look for the woman, the Orleans Levee Board Police told the New Orleans Times-Picayune.

A passerby rescued the woman after he heard her calling for help, according to the Times-Picayune. The woman had apparently grabbed onto a piling or another structure in the lake.

"I spoke with the girl and her mother this morning and they said he helped her stay calm. He ended up saving her life, keeping her calm until she could grab onto a buoy,"Elias said.

Elias said the woman last saw Hill floating away from her.

Rescue crews began looking for Hill on Sunday evening, according to Elias, and the search has continued this morning.

While Elias said Hill can swim, he was not wearing a life preserver, according to Elias.

Elias said Hill's mother told him that others have been missing in Lake Pontchartrain for as long as two days before being found alive, so the family was holding out hope that Hill was OK.

The 6-foot-6-inch, 300-pound Hill was a second-round draft choice of the Patriots in 2004, and has served as a backup for his first three seasons, appearing in 13 career games.

Bowser
05-28-2007, 11:14 AM
What a shame.

Not wearing a life jacket while jet skiing is the same as to not wearing your seatbelt going down the road. You never, EVER not do it.

Phobia
05-28-2007, 11:16 AM
What a shame.

Not wearing a life jacket while jet skiing is the same as to not wearing your seatbelt going down the road. You never, EVER not do it.

I don't know about all that. I'd say not wearing a preserver is a whole lot more dangerous than not wearing a seatbelt. There are arguably valid reasons to not wear a seatbelt. I can't think of any valid reasons to not wear a life preserver in a small watercraft.

mlyonsd
05-28-2007, 11:20 AM
I don't know about all that. I'd say not wearing a preserver is a whole lot more dangerous than not wearing a seatbelt. There are arguably valid reasons to not wear a seatbelt. I can't think of any valid reasons to not wear a life preserver in a small watercraft.

I might be mistaken but I'm guessing in most states it's even against the law to drive a jet ski without a life jacket.

CoMoChief
05-28-2007, 11:36 AM
Man that sucks. If they havent found him by now he's probably drowned. If so thats really sad. That's probably one of the worst ways to die.

Simplex3
05-28-2007, 11:59 AM
Man that sucks. If they havent found him by now he's probably drowned. If so thats really sad. That's probably one of the worst ways to die.
I'd guess that either he was unconscious, in which case he didn't know, or he was completely retarded and was out on the water without a life vest but couldn't swim.

Bob Dole
05-28-2007, 12:06 PM
I'd guess that either he was unconscious, in which case he didn't know, or he was completely retarded and was out on the water without a life vest but couldn't swim.

Great guess, since the articles clearly state he can swim but was not wearing a life preserver. :rolleyes:

1ChiefsDan
05-28-2007, 12:56 PM
I don't know about all that. I'd say not wearing a preserver is a whole lot more dangerous than not wearing a seatbelt. There are arguably valid reasons to not wear a seatbelt. I can't think of any valid reasons to not wear a life preserver in a small watercraft.Validreason #1 - signed your donor card and are ready to use it?:rolleyes:

chagrin
05-28-2007, 12:58 PM
Shame, it's always something as simple as having on a life jacket too it seems.

Smed1065
05-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Mostly on a holiday weekend, everyone drinking. It was crazy at the lake here.

Athis
05-28-2007, 01:54 PM
They found the body

http://blog.nola.com/times-picayune/2007/05/coast_guard_search_continues_f.html

stevieray
05-28-2007, 01:58 PM
9:00 pm?

That seems a little late to be out on the water.

Tragic.

Thoughts and prayers for his family.

cdcox
05-28-2007, 02:03 PM
Sad. I'll leave it at that. RIP.

meStevo
05-28-2007, 02:09 PM
Very. RIP.

noa
05-28-2007, 02:25 PM
Very sad story. Heart goes out to his family, friends, and Patriots fans. RIP.

Eric
05-28-2007, 02:30 PM
Vague on details.

This woman didn't know if he was drowning?

They might have been drinking. Always more to the story.

meStevo
05-28-2007, 02:32 PM
Vague on details.

This woman didn't know if he was drowning?

They might have been drinking. Always more to the story.

Really doesn't matter considering the outcome.

KCFalcon59
05-28-2007, 03:34 PM
Man, this has been a tragic offseason. R.I.P

Ebolapox
05-28-2007, 03:54 PM
RIP

it's sad--I can't recall an offseason when this many nfl players or former players (somewhat current former players) had died

CosmicPal
05-28-2007, 04:07 PM

Well, honestly, finding a life vest for someone who is 6' 6" and 300 pounds isn't exactly an easy thing to do. I can fully understand his willingness to ride without a life vest, but the gal most certainly should have had one on.

I've been riding jet skis and waverunners for 20 years. We have a waverunner at our lake home in the Ozarks. I can tell you from experience that once a 300 pound man falls off the waverunner- there's almost no way he's going to manage to pull himself back up onto the waverunner when he's in that water. It's one thing to get onto a waverunner from the dock, but it's a very trying thing to do if you are an enormous human being and you are trying to get on it from the water.

That right there is the sheer stupidity- he should have known that once he fell off, he's not getting back on. And without a life vest on, it's very likely you will drown.

Coogs
05-28-2007, 04:28 PM
This is from the link from the post by Athis that said the body has been found...

The accident was reported about 9 p.m. Sunday after a man and woman were reported falling into the water from a recreational craft. They apparently were heading to the Seabrook boat launch. The Orleans Levee Board Police said that a passing boat had briefly picked up the man, but he jumped back in the water to look for the woman.

Marlboro_Chief
05-28-2007, 04:39 PM
Condolences to Marquise Hill's family, the New England Patriots and their fans.

Amnorix
05-28-2007, 07:55 PM
Sad day. It seems he died a hero's death in saving the woman's life, but none of it would have been necessary if they'd both been wearing a life jacket.

RIP. 24 years old. Real shame.

Frazod
05-28-2007, 08:02 PM
Sad day. It seems he died a hero's death in saving the woman's life, but none of it would have been necessary if they'd both been wearing a life jacket.

RIP. 24 years old. Real shame.

Tough break, dude. My condolances.

Bowser
05-28-2007, 08:06 PM
Well, honestly, finding a life vest for someone who is 6' 6" and 300 pounds isn't exactly an easy thing to do. I can fully understand his willingness to ride without a life vest, but the gal most certainly should have had one on.

I've been riding jet skis and waverunners for 20 years. We have a waverunner at our lake home in the Ozarks. I can tell you from experience that once a 300 pound man falls off the waverunner- there's almost no way he's going to manage to pull himself back up onto the waverunner when he's in that water. It's one thing to get onto a waverunner from the dock, but it's a very trying thing to do if you are an enormous human being and you are trying to get on it from the water.

That right there is the sheer stupidity- he should have known that once he fell off, he's not getting back on. And without a life vest on, it's very likely you will drown.

I'd be willing to bet money that there was a vest there he COULD have worn, but chose not to because it was a tad too small and/or made him look dorky. I've seen big guys don the two sizes too small vest and look very uncomfortable doing it.

It's too bad. 24 years old and a NFL star. Shame.

jynni
05-28-2007, 11:06 PM
The accident was reported about 9 p.m. Sunday after a man and woman were reported falling into the water from a recreational craft. They apparently were heading to the Seabrook boat launch. The Orleans Levee Board Police said that a passing boat had briefly picked up the man, but he jumped back in the water to look for the woman.
Its very sad what happened but wouldn't it have been much more productive to stay on the boat and use that to search for the woman? That just doesn't make any sense at all.

ct
05-29-2007, 07:38 AM
Very sad situation, my condolences Pat fans.

ROYC75
05-29-2007, 07:48 AM
A sad time for Patty Nation .........

StcChief
05-29-2007, 07:56 AM
RIP. and over a life jacket.

munkey
05-29-2007, 09:58 AM
Its very sad what happened but wouldn't it have been much more productive to stay on the boat and use that to search for the woman? That just doesn't make any sense at all.

My thoughts as well...

If this in deed happened then why did the boat just drive off after he jumped in? Weird...

munkey
05-29-2007, 10:04 AM
"Around 10 a.m. today, Steve McManus of the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries said officials decided to focus on recovering Hill's body after witnesses saw him go under the water without resurfacing. Authorities were using information from family members to determine Hill's exact location at the time he and a woman fell from the craft, McManus said.

What a strange story...Add this to jumping off the boat that leaves him out there :shake:

Sure-Oz
05-29-2007, 10:04 AM
I was wondering why they were showing highlights of a patriots DE on sportscenter yesterday at margaritas, of course sound was off but, i guess this explains it.

Phobia
05-29-2007, 10:05 AM
My thoughts as well...

If this in deed happened then why did the boat just drive off after he jumped in? Weird...

No kidding. Very strange.

CosmicPal
05-29-2007, 10:12 AM
What a strange story...Add this to jumping off the boat that leaves him out there :shake:

1. Are you going to jump in and try to save a 6' 6" 300 lb man from drowning? He'd most certainly take you under with him.

2. The waters were known to be rough that day.

3. Could it be the boat went to go get additional help?

4. What I find odd though is that the people on the boat didn't toss him a life preserver. That's what I find the most disturbing. I can fully understand not jumping in to try to save some enormous man from drowning, but at least throw him a life preserver from your boat: it's the LAW that all registered boaters must have a few life preservers on board.

5. From that, I can deduce that the boaters had most likely been drinking.