PDA

View Full Version : Not for those with a weak stomach

Wile_E_Coyote
05-28-2007, 08:40 PM
Who was the greatest Raider? Bronco? LT the best Charger?

Hammock Parties
05-28-2007, 08:43 PM
Tim Brown, John Elway, LT.

unothadeal
05-28-2007, 08:44 PM
Me, me, me.

Wile_E_Coyote
05-28-2007, 08:48 PM
Tim Brown, John Elway, LT.

I thought Elway & LT were close to locks. The Raiders on the other hand...

el borracho
05-28-2007, 08:49 PM
Long
Elway
Tomlinson

Sam Hall
05-28-2007, 08:50 PM
For Oakland, I'll take Marcus Allen because he scored a bunch of touchdowns for us. John Elway is Denver's best player, but we'll never know about Terrell Davis.

Simplex3
05-28-2007, 08:51 PM
Donks: That guy that cheated the cap and finally got them their Super Bowl wins.

Wile_E_Coyote
05-28-2007, 08:54 PM
Lamar would prolly walk away with the greatest Chief vote. Raiders has me stumped

sedated
05-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Who was the greatest Raider?

Fred Biletnikoff?
Howie Long?
George Blanda?

cdcox
05-28-2007, 09:46 PM
The Sporting News lists the greatest Raiders as"

Willie Brown
Art Shell
Gene Upshaw
Ted Hendricks
Marcus Allen
Jim Otto
Mike Haynes
Fred Biletnikoff
Greorge Blanda

Tim Brown was not ranked, but he would be in at least in the top 4 of this list, IMO.

Hammock Parties
05-28-2007, 09:51 PM
Tim Brown doesn't get alot of respect for some reason.

cdcox
05-28-2007, 10:03 PM
Tim Brown doesn't get alot of respect for some reason.

Aside from the Gruden/Gannon years, the Raider teams he played on sucked. Plus, his career was paled by Jerry Rice. That was unlucky, and not his fault, but one of the reasons he doesn't get as much respect as he might. You can easily argue that several other of his contemporaries were as good or better: Cris Carter, Marvin Harrison, Terrel Owens, Randy Moss. We played them twice a year, I don't ever remember thinking, OH CRAP, we have to face Tim Brown this week. He just didn't make that big of an impression, despite the huge stats he put up.

Rain Man
05-28-2007, 10:12 PM
Raiders:

1. Marcus Allen
2. Jim Otto
3. Art Shell
4. Gene Upshaw
5. Ray Guy, even though he cheated
6. Willie Brown
7. Tim Brown, even though he was nothing special and makes the list only because he hung around forever
8. Howie Long, even though I hate him with the intensity of a thousand suns and he cheated like nobody's business and was a dirty player.
9. Todd Christensen, even though I hated him and he was annoying as all get-out.
10. Cliff Branch

Biletnikoff, Blanda, and Hendricks are waaaaaaay overrated, in my opinion. The next guys on my list would probably be Lester Hayes, Phil Villapiano, and Jack Tatum.

Hammock Parties
05-28-2007, 10:15 PM
8. Howie Long, even though I hate him with the intensity of a thousand suns and he cheated like nobody's business and was a dirty player.
9. Todd Christensen, even though I hated him and he was annoying as all get-out.

It sounds like the Raiders/Chiefs rivalry used to be as intense as the Broncos/Chiefs is now.

Didn't Howie Long play only when the Chiefs really sucked? That must have made it even more infuriating.

Rain Man
05-28-2007, 10:25 PM
Broncos

1. There is no #1, because the player who probably should be here cheated the NFL draft and should have been a Colt and then cheated the salary cap his last two years, which resulted in two fraudulent Super Bowls.
2. That annoying idiot who looked like a horse. The black one, not the white one.
3. Karl Mecklenberg, even though I hated him.
4. Trevor Pryce
5. Randy Gradishar
6. Jason Elam, he of the giant pumpkin head.
7. Rod Smith
8. Steve Atwater, even though the hit that tittilates Broncos fans so much was really just a matter of him hitting Okoye when Okoye's feet were off the ground, and otherwise there would be a small cross on the field marking the spot where Atwater was ground into tiny chunks under Okoye's cleats like those stories of soldiers getting caught under tank tracks in WWII.
9. Floyd Little, even though he has become such a whiny baby now that it takes away from his accomplishments on the field.
10. Terrell Davis, who would be rated much higher except for the fact that every pedestrian running back after him gained 1,200 yards. 800 yards better than Olandis Gary and Mike Anderson <> great.

I'd like to put Rick Upchurch on here, but he didn't play long enough. Champ Bailey is close to making the list, as is Riley Odom. The Broncos have never had an offensive lineman who was a legitimate NFL starter other than Gary Zimmerman.

Tribal Warfare
05-28-2007, 10:28 PM
Art Shell, John Elway,Kellan Winslow

Rain Man
05-28-2007, 10:29 PM
It sounds like the Raiders/Chiefs rivalry used to be as intense as the Broncos/Chiefs is now.

Didn't Howie Long play only when the Chiefs really sucked? That must have made it even more infuriating.

While I hate the Broncos more than the Sunnis hate the Shiites, or vice versa, I have to say that my own personal hatred of the Raiders in the 1970s was even more intense. The Broncos will cheat and try to injure people between the whistles and in the salary cap. The Raiders back then were more dirty than the 10 dirtiest teams in NFL history combined. You would have to have actually seen them to believe them - Millen, Howie Long, Lyle Alzado, Lester Hayes...it was a lineup of true criminals for more than a decade.

Rain Man
05-28-2007, 10:35 PM
Chargers, even though everyone knows that the Chargers don't have stars.

1. Kellen Winslow
2. Lance Alworth, based solely on reputation since I never saw him play.
3. LaDainian Tomlinson or whatever the heck his name is
4. Ed White, a very good former guard who probably should be in the Hall of Fame
5. Paul Lowe, based solely on reputation since I never saw him play.
6. Leslie O'Neal, who would've been a HoF lock if not for a bad knee injury early in his career
7. John Jefferson, who was a feared wide receiver in his day.
8. Russ Washington, a tackle back in the day.
9. For lack of anyone better, Junior Seau, even though he's highly overrated.
10. James Brooks, who would be higher except that he got traded mid-career to the Bengals.

Joiner is overrated. Rodney Harrison is overrated. Chuck Muncie was okay, but not great. Fouts was a system quarterback. They had some good center named Courtney somebody, and they've got that good nose tackle now. Billy Ray Smith had a few good years, but nothing great.

Rain Man
05-28-2007, 10:38 PM

I think one thing that was particularly frustrating was that Long would routinely intimidate and beat up our left guard, who happened to be Brad Budde. Seeing a Raider beat up the child of a Chiefs legend, who also happened to be a wasted first-round draft pick, was unbearable.

Bowser
05-28-2007, 10:59 PM
They're all turds.

Macroach
05-29-2007, 12:22 AM
2. That annoying idiot who looked like a horse. The black one, not the white one.

ROFL

Direckshun
05-29-2007, 12:27 AM
Raider -- Marcus Allen
Bronco -- John Elway
Charger -- Junior Seau