PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting tired of working with people who don't speak English worth a crap

Simplex3
05-29-2007, 05:39 PM
It would be one thing if they accepted the fact that they don't get half of what's going on, but for some reason the majority of them also have an over-arching desire to cover their own ass when they f**k up and don't seem to be afraid to throw other people under the bus if that helps them.

:cuss:

Anyone have any useful tips on dealing with these types? Other than antifreeze or stabbing them in the face, I've already tried those.

ChiefsFire
05-29-2007, 05:41 PM
So what does Taco Bell start out at per hour?

88TG88
05-29-2007, 05:44 PM
Learn the language they speak ?

Simplex3
05-29-2007, 05:45 PM
So what does Taco Bell start out at per hour?
No, this one is here legally and wouldn't be wearing a sombrero. This one would be found eating curry.

Also, it has nothing to do with nationality or race or religion. There's another person there that is the exact same in every way except that she speaks perfect English. She and I never have issues.

Simplex3
05-29-2007, 05:46 PM
Learn the language they speak ?
I would suck at that as badly as they suck at English. The difference being, of course, in this country you're supposed to speak English.

Frazod
05-29-2007, 06:01 PM
I regret not taking Spanish when I was in school; I remember thinking "why the f#ck should I learn a foreign language - I'm an American?" Of course, I didn't know then that our government was going to let the cocksuckers take over the country. Oh well. :doh!:

I may still check into one of those learning Spanish software programs. If nothing else, it would be nice to know what they're saying behind my back. Bastards. :grr:

Rain Man
05-29-2007, 06:08 PM
It would be one thing if they accepted the fact that they don't get half of what's going on, but for some reason the majority of them also have an over-arching desire to cover their own ass when they f**k up and don't seem to be afraid to throw other people under the bus if that helps them.

Anyone have any useful tips on dealing with these types? Other than antifreeze or stabbing them in the face, I've already tried those.

Based on what I've read about Darwinism, if you successfully use antifreeze or face-stabbing, poor language skills will eventually cease to exist.

keg in kc
05-29-2007, 06:11 PM
If nothing else, it would be nice to know what they're saying behind my back."Lord, I wish this bald man would wear a hat. The glare is oppressive and blinding."

Frazod
05-29-2007, 06:11 PM
"Lord, I wish this bald man would wear a hat. The glare is oppressive and blinding."

That may be it.

BTW, what does "gringo" mean? :shrug:

Adept Havelock
05-29-2007, 06:18 PM

Well, you could always suggest that if they can't be bothered to learn English, perhaps the United Kingdom could resume, ahem, "supervision" of their nation so they will have the opportunity. :shrug:

BTW, what does "gringo" mean? :shrug:

I believe that roughly translates as "Wise and kind man whose lawn provides me with regular work".

(J/k)

keg in kc
05-29-2007, 06:27 PM
BTW, what does "gringo" mean? I believe that's Mexican for "man of Gallic decent".

Bugeater
05-29-2007, 06:33 PM
I regret not taking Spanish when I was in school; I remember thinking "why the f#ck should I learn a foreign language - I'm an American?" Of course, I didn't know then that our government was going to let the cocksuckers take over the country. Oh well. :doh!:

I may still check into one of those learning Spanish software programs. If nothing else, it would be nice to know what they're saying behind my back. Bastards. :grr:
Don't bother. I took two years of Spanish and I still have no idea wtf they're saying.

trndobrd
05-29-2007, 06:44 PM
No, this one is here legally and wouldn't be wearing a sombrero. This one would be found eating curry.

Also, it has nothing to do with nationality or race or religion. There's another person there that is the exact same in every way except that she speaks perfect English. She and I never have issues.

She's the same in that she throws people under the bus or same nationality?

I suppose you would do the same as most nimrods in the work place: correspond via email (which you save), provide clear, explicit instructions and timelines (which you save), regularly request progress updates (which you save), double check your own work product and his (which you save), and make sure your friend's bus-pushing antics become an office joke.

I once worked with a gal that was always quick to point out the problems of others to cover her own sizeable ass. Eventually it got to the point that staff members would bring dimes to meetings and 'drop' them every time she started pointing the finger. The boss laughed, she did not.

Hammock Parties
05-29-2007, 07:13 PM
Try working with people who can't write it worth a crap.

Simplex3
05-29-2007, 07:14 PM
Please don't tell me you're taking a job at this customer site, too.

Simplex3
05-29-2007, 07:16 PM
She's the same in that she throws people under the bus or same nationality?
Same nationality.

I suppose you would do the same as most nimrods in the work place: correspond via email (which you save), provide clear, explicit instructions and timelines (which you save), regularly request progress updates (which you save), double check your own work product and his (which you save), and make sure your friend's bus-pushing antics become an office joke.

I once worked with a gal that was always quick to point out the problems of others to cover her own sizeable ass. Eventually it got to the point that staff members would bring dimes to meetings and 'drop' them every time she started pointing the finger. The boss laughed, she did not.
Sadly, I have a strict "no CYA" order from my boss's boss because, and I quote, "it might become adversarial". Oh well.

CoMoChief
05-29-2007, 07:17 PM
I'm working right now taking orders over the phone and I constantly have to try and communicate with people who can't speak english to save their lives. Recently I took an order from a person with the name of:

Olatokunbo Akinfe

I about shot myself after that order being that I had the worse headache in trying to deal with this PoS.

Rain Man
05-29-2007, 07:17 PM

Hey. I do my best.

Silock
05-29-2007, 07:18 PM
What wrong to speak with no English??

Your maroon!!

05-29-2007, 07:19 PM
Hire crazycoffey as your right hand man. :clap:

Eleazar
05-29-2007, 07:20 PM
I was just thinking that as Nick Athan's editor, GoChiefs is our resident expert on people who only have a toddler's grasp of the English language.

KcMizzou
05-29-2007, 07:20 PM
Hey. I do my best.I was looking up Dave Barry stuff at work the other day. (Hey, it's not blocked by Websense) The more of his stuff I read, the more alike you seem. We're about due for a Rainman story.

Hammock Parties
05-29-2007, 07:21 PM
Hey. I do my best.

Haha. I just try not to fumble the stone tablets you give me as I walk down the mountain.

Hammock Parties
05-29-2007, 07:22 PM
We're about due for a Rainman story.

Demand noted. Publishing processes started.

Skip Towne
05-29-2007, 07:24 PM
Hire crazycoffey as your right hand man. :clap:
He's quantity, not quality.

trndobrd
05-29-2007, 07:52 PM
Sadly, I have a strict "no CYA" order from my boss's boss because, and I quote, "it might become adversarial". Oh well.

I'm just saying email is a very convenient form of communication, and it always pays to have plenty of two way communication between employees and keep everyone in the loop. The fact that you are SO dedicated to your work that you don't have time to empty your in-box is just a testament to the leadership of your superiors.

blueballs
05-29-2007, 07:56 PM
**** their faces

gblowfish
05-29-2007, 07:59 PM
Wow...you work for Neil Smith?

MIAdragon
05-29-2007, 08:08 PM
dont come to Miami, ......ever......

KcMizzou
05-29-2007, 08:16 PM
Apologies in advance...

Jenson71
05-29-2007, 08:39 PM
There is no official language of the United States.

TinyEvel
05-29-2007, 08:42 PM
Gringo:
(from Wikipedia)
Etymology

The Spanish etymologist Joan Coromines states that gringo is derived from griego[5] (Spanish for "Greek"), the proverbial name for an unintelligible language (a usage found also in the Shakespearean "it was Greek to me" and its derivative "It's all Greek to me"). From referring simply to language, it was extended to people speaking foreign tongues and to their physical features - similar to the development of the ancient Greek word ???????? (bárbaros) - "Barbarian".
[edit]Folk etymologies
A recurring false etymology for the derivation of gringo states that it originated during the Mexican-American War of 1846-48. It has been claimed that Gringo comes from "green coat" and was used in reference to the American soldiers and the green color of their uniforms. Yet another story, from Mexico, holds that Mexicans with knowledge of the English language used to write "greens go home" on street walls referring to the color of the uniforms of the invading army; subsequently, it became a common habitual action for the rest of the population to yell "green go" whenever U.S. soldiers passed by. This is an example of an invented explanation, because gringo was used in Spanish long before the war and during the Mexican-American War. Additionally, the U.S. Army did not use green uniforms at the time, but blue ones. [6]
The "green go" etymology can also be heard in Panama, where it is said that during the time when the U.S. Army occupied the Canal Zone, people would chant it alongside "yankee go home!" when partaking in street protests.
Another legend maintains that one of two songs – either "Green Grow the Lilacs" or "Green Grow the Rushes, O" – was popular at the time and that Mexicans heard the invading U.S. troops singing "Green grow..." and contracted this into gringo.
(clip)

I'm thinking maybe this could be a term for the people who want Carl to release Trent. Call them the GreenGo's.

stevieray
05-29-2007, 08:57 PM
There is no official language of the United States.

Not true. English is the official language of GB and the US.

Donger
05-29-2007, 09:00 PM

That must drive your co-workers insane.

Donger
05-29-2007, 09:01 PM

Since when?

Jenson71
05-29-2007, 09:04 PM
Not true. English is the official language of ... the US.

I don't think so. Did you know the official language of Hawaii is Hawaiian?

Hammock Parties
05-29-2007, 09:04 PM
That must drive your co-workers insane.

You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch.

Logical
05-29-2007, 09:06 PM

Anyone have any useful tips on dealing with these types? Other than antifreeze or stabbing them in the face, I've already tried those.What kind of work do they do?

Logical
05-29-2007, 09:08 PM

Not of the US, there is no official language of the US as a country. Some states have declared English as an official language, however.

Simplex3
05-29-2007, 09:20 PM
What kind of work do they do?
Radio and UI testing using a computer-based testing framework. It's a very technical computer programming job. This person has no background in testing, or radios, or UI, or network transports, or anything else that they do for a living. Add the lack of language skills and it's ugly.

stevieray
05-29-2007, 09:26 PM
I don't think so. Did you know the official language of Hawaii is Hawaiian?

looks like websters is putting out bogus info.

Logical
05-29-2007, 09:31 PM
Radio and UI testing using a computer-based testing framework. It's a very technical computer programming job. This person has no background in testing, or radios, or UI, or network transports, or anything else that they do for a living. Add the lack of language skills and it's ugly.

I think I would be more frustrated with that person's boss for hiring someone not qualified to do the job. As far as working with the incompetent, sorry no advice other than to do your job right and document the mistakes you have to cover for that person with records.

Jenson71
05-29-2007, 09:33 PM
looks like websters is putting out bogus info.

It happens. Do you have a link?

05-29-2007, 09:41 PM
I would suck at that as badly as they suck at English. The difference being, of course, in this country you're supposed to speak English.

God forbid.

stevieray
05-29-2007, 09:49 PM
It happens. Do you have a link?

www.websters.com.

I just typed in english, and word net claimed it as such. I thought you were right, but just wanted to check.

my apologies.

BWillie
05-30-2007, 12:54 AM
Not of the US, there is no official language of the US as a country. Some states have declared English as an official language, however.

Yeah, and the official language is really just a formality. Do you really think if we just said today ok English is now the official language would anything really change? What are we going to do throws mexi's in jail if they can't speak English? Our hands our behind our backs and nobody gives a shit that all of these illegals are here. Something is got to be done or this country is headin' for some problems. Most mexicans are nice simple people, the ones that come right up from mexico, but they lack the tools to succeed in this society and don't have the cultural knowledge to make it. The problem lies with all the free services they get while not having to pay taxes. One hispanic couple crosses the boarder and usually breeds 8-9 kids, all of which are now US citizens that I have to pay for to go to school.

Bob Dole
05-30-2007, 01:04 AM
Our hands our behind our backs and nobody gives a shit that all of these illegals are here.

The illegals aren't the only problem, Mr. Homophone.

BWillie
05-30-2007, 01:33 AM
The illegals aren't the only problem, Mr. Homophone.

Never said they were..whats your point? We were on the topic. I'm sure you don't want to hear me drone on about all the other problems in the country do you?

Bob Dole
05-30-2007, 01:35 AM
Never said they were..whats your point? We were on the topic. I'm sure you don't want to hear me drone on about all the other problems in the country do you?

Our hands our behind our backs, aren't they?

ClevelandBronco
05-30-2007, 02:02 AM
Yeah, and the official language is really just a formality. Do you really think if we just said today ok English is now the official language would anything really change? What are we going to do throws mexi's in jail if they can't speak English? Our hands our behind our backs and nobody gives a shit that all of these illegals are here. Something is got to be done or this country is headin' for some problems. Most mexicans are nice simple people, the ones that come right up from mexico, but they lack the tools to succeed in this society and don't have the cultural knowledge to make it. The problem lies with all the free services they get while not having to pay taxes. One hispanic couple crosses the boarder and usually breeds 8-9 kids, all of which are now US citizens that I have to pay for to go to school.

Your opinions are useless because your supporting arguments are childish. You tried to play this card in the D.C. forum recently. Maybe you'll find support out here, but I doubt it.

Look, we'll likely never adopt an official language, but even if we were to, the law wouldn't carry penalties for individuals who can't speak English. Congratulations for imagining a ridiculous idea. The only implication of such a law would be that the federal government would no longer publish in any language other than English.

You assert that nobody (except you, presumably) cares about the illegal immigrants who are here, and that our hands are tied. There's an important and ongoing discussion about this issue. Maybe you've missed it, but it's been widely reported. Most of us actually do care, and are already engaged in this discussion.

If up to 20 million (according to some sources, perhaps as few as 9-12 million, according to others) people have crossed the border illegally but can't "make it" here because of their lack of tools and cultural knowledge, (your words) they'd better send word back. Better yet it would have been good if the first 1 million had sent word back to the next 19 million. Then again, maybe they're making it just fine here, despite their lack of tools and cultural knowledge.

As for your statement that an Hispanic couple "crosses the boarder(sic) and usually breeds 8-9 kids," I won't bother to present a logical counter argument until you learn how to present a realistic argument. Does a "Mexi" couple typically breed 8-9 kids? Really?

Here's your homework, BWillie007:

Look up David Lane and try to understand why your posts should sound better than what he might post here (if he hadn't just died).

Learn how to post real numbers or avoid them altogether in favor of posting your philosophical arguments.

I am opposed to the presence of alien nationals who have crossed our borders illegally. I am also opposed to your silly posts on this subject.

Just stop it, BWillie. Or at the very least, clean your posts up.

BWillie
05-30-2007, 02:34 AM
Your opinions are useless because your supporting arguments are childish. You tried to play this card in the D.C. forum recently. Maybe you'll find support out here, but I doubt it.

Look, we'll likely never adopt an official language, but even if we were to, the law wouldn't carry penalties for individuals who can't speak English. Congratulations for imagining a ridiculous idea. The only implication of such a law would be that the federal government would no longer publish in any language other than English.

You assert that nobody (except you, presumably) cares about the illegal immigrants who are here, and that our hands are tied. There's an important and ongoing discussion about this issue. Maybe you've missed it, but it's been widely reported. Most of us actually do care, and are already engaged in this discussion.

If up to 20 million (according to some sources, perhaps as few as 9-12 million, according to others) people have crossed the border illegally but can't "make it" here because of their lack of tools and cultural knowledge, (your words) they'd better send word back. Better yet it would have been good if the first 1 million had sent word back to the next 19 million. Then again, maybe they're making it just fine here, despite their lack of tools and cultural knowledge.

As for your statement that an Hispanic couple "crosses the boarder(sic) and usually breeds 8-9 kids," I won't bother to present a logical counter argument until you learn how to present a realistic argument. Does a "Mexi" couple typically breed 8-9 kids? Really?

Here's your homework, BWillie007:

Look up David Lane and try to understand why your posts should sound better than what he might post here (if he hadn't just died).

Learn how to post real numbers or avoid them altogether in favor of posting your philosophical arguments.

I am opposed to the presence of alien nationals who have crossed our borders illegally. I am also opposed to your silly posts on this subject.

Just stop it, BWillie. Or at the very least, clean your posts up.

I'm really don't understand what your problem is, I'm was expressing my concerns. I'm not going to stop anything. I use examples, what do you want me to do find out the exact statistic of how the birthrate differs from those of others? I was only making a point. Why do you say that I think we should send them all back and other such nonsense that I never said? The problem you have with me is I don't articulate my ideas in the manner you like, and I'm not as politically correct as you.

Mexicans have a higher birthrate than any other nationality.
http://www.childtrendsdatabank.org/figures/79-Figure-3.gif
Fact.

I never said to throw people in jail for speaking Spanish. You seem to not of grapsed that. I said that would be a stupid idea, and that it would not solve any problems. I gave it as an example.

Illegal alien hispanics DON'T generally have the tools and cultural knowledge to succeed here.
FACT
PERSONAL INCOME http://www.answers.com/topic/personal-income-in-the-united-states
White 33,030
Asian 36,152
African American 27,101
Hispanic 23,613

These figures don't even account for the population below 25, and that is the fastest rising portion of the hispanic population. A large percentage of Hispanics are not illegal immigrants as well, which would skew the figure for hispanic upward. If you could document the personal income of illegal aliens only can you imagine how low it would be?

Make no mistake, this is not about race. I have no problem with hispanics or any other race. I have no problem with hispanics, and most hispanics are here legally, hold great jobs, and are an asset to this country. The problem lies with the illegals coming to this country without the tools to succeed and using alot of our free services for free.

Bob Dole
05-30-2007, 03:02 AM
Illegal alien hispanics DON'T generally have the tools and cultural knowledge to succeed here.
FACT
PERSONAL INCOME http://www.answers.com/topic/personal-income-in-the-united-states
White 33,030
Asian 36,152
African American 27,101
Hispanic 23,613

These figures don't even account for the population below 25, and that is the fastest rising portion of the hispanic population. A large percentage of Hispanics are not illegal immigrants as well, which would skew the figure for hispanic upward. If you could document the personal income of illegal aliens only can you imagine how low it would be?

In fiscal year (FY) 2004 there were around 4.5 million low-skill immigrant households in the United States, containing 15.9 million persons, roughly 5 percent of the U.S. population. About 60 percent of these low-skill immigrant households were headed by legal immigrants and 40 percent by illegal immigrants. Source (http://www.heritage.org/research/immigration/SR14es.cfm)

Bob Dole isn't sure what that means, other than Bob Dole can't do much more than order a beer in Spanish.

ClevelandBronco
05-30-2007, 03:18 AM
I'm really don't understand

"I'm really don't understand?"

"I'm really don't understand?"

No, probably you don't understand.

...what your problem is, I'm was expressing my concerns. I'm not going to stop anything. I use examples, what do you want me to do find out the exact statistic of how the birthrate differs from those of others? I was only making a point. Why do you say that I think we should send them all back and other such nonsense that I never said? The problem you have with me is I don't articulate my ideas in the manner you like, and I'm not as politically correct as you.

Mexicans have a higher birthrate than any other nationality.
http://www.childtrendsdatabank.org/figures/79-Figure-3.gif
Fact.

Good source. I missed the part that says that "Mexi's" have 8-9 children. Where should I look for the info that would support your stupid statement?

BTW, I never said we should send them back. Where did you get that idea?

I never said to throw people in jail for speaking Spanish. You seem to not of grapsed that.

I seem "not to of grapsed" (your words) that? Dude, learn to spell, learn English grammar yourself before you worry about foreign populations who can't communicate in English. Try this instead: "Not to have grasped." It's not difficult to speak clearly in the English language. I think you should have mastered it by now.

I said that would be a stupid idea, and that it would not solve any problems. I gave it as an example. Giving stupid examples is never a good strategy.

Then maybe you've learned your own lesson. Don't give stupid examples.

FACT
White 33,030
Asian 36,152
African American 27,101
Hispanic 23,613

Make no mistake, this is not about race. I have no problem with hispanics or any other race. I have no problem with hispanics, and most hispanics are here legally, hold great jobs, and are an asset to this country. The problem lies with the illegals coming to this country without the tools to succeed and using alot of our free services for free.

Finally you make a decent argument. Remember to capitalize "Hispanic" (you're spotty on that) and try to remember that "alot" is not an English word. It's two words: a lot.

I'll agree to help you get rid of all these terrible interlopers who are corrupting our language and our culture as soon as you prove to me that you've mastered it yourself. Deal?

Saulbadguy
05-30-2007, 05:02 AM
I like to make up words to confuse them.

"I'm sorry Dawar, but today I have to go finoogle my bandersnatch at the wakakapula convention. We will have to work on this in a fluppargar."

Pushead2
05-30-2007, 05:30 AM
I like to make up words to confuse them.

"I'm sorry Dawar, but today I have to go finoogle my bandersnatch at the wakakapula convention. We will have to work on this in a fluppargar."
ROFL ROFL

KC Jones
05-30-2007, 05:30 AM

bosses boss? I thought you had your own company and product?

Oh, and welcome to the new IT. Accountants are now in charge, so being 'in computers' qualifies for the work and being from another country qualifies for costing less. It's brilliant. Last two shops I worked in I was a minority.

Simplex3
05-30-2007, 06:10 AM
bosses boss? I thought you had your own company and product?

Oh, and welcome to the new IT. Accountants are now in charge, so being 'in computers' qualifies for the work and being from another country qualifies for costing less. It's brilliant. Last two shops I worked in I was a minority.
I took a small, small piece of a company out of CA. Been doing that for just over a year. There are only eight people in the company, so having a boss's boss is pretty dumb IMO, but it's there.

If this thing doesn't work out and my stock options are never worth squat then I will have pissed away a year of my life, though.

Saulbadguy
05-30-2007, 06:48 AM
If this thing doesn't work out and my stock options are never worth squat then I will have pissed away a year of my life, though.
OWNED.

Simplex3
05-30-2007, 07:08 AM
OWNED.
It's not the first time I've gone a year without the big payoff. Funny part is that even when I'm making the wrong decision I'm making more than twice the average dumbass in this country. Is that really getting owned?

:shrug:

StcChief
05-30-2007, 07:36 AM
The Dot not Feathers have really started to bother me.

Speak fast, some crappy british accent mixed, refuse to even attempt to become part of American culture.

Group lunch guesss where. Dot Not Feather resturant.

I tolerate them barely, no breaks they will earn their way in IT in USA.

Eleazar
05-30-2007, 07:43 AM
The Dot not Feathers have really started to bother me.

Speak fast, some crappy british accent mixed, refuse to even attempt to become part of American culture.

Group lunch guesss where. Dot Not Feather resturant.

I tolerate them barely, no breaks they will earn their way in IT in USA.

A lot of them just want to come over here and make 50k for a while and go back to India and live like kings. That's fine. They play a big role in the industry. People who really want to be successful won't do that, however.

StcChief
05-30-2007, 07:54 AM
A lot of them just want to come over here and make 50k for a while and go back to India and live like kings. That's fine. They play a big role in the industry. People who really want to be successful won't do that, however.

The play a role, not as big as think.... read this. something the American IT veterans have been experiencing for >10 years with these folks.
Cleaning up their failed attempts at software dev.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2135743,00.asp

Eleazar
05-30-2007, 07:58 AM
The play a role, not as big as think.... read this. something the American IT veterans have been experiencing for >10 years with these folks.
Cleaning up their failed attempts at software dev.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2135743,00.asp

Unfortunately, I have experienced that firsthand.

What the article says is true though, there are definitely a lot of them here, but they occupy the more entry-level jobs by and large.

I really don't see it as a threat, lower skilled people can be used to carry out the more standardized or less complex tasks, and thus improve the productivity of your higher-skilled people.