PDA

View Full Version : Gretz: What to watch for this weekend...

shaneo69
06-01-2007, 10:02 AM
GRETZ: What to Watch For
Jun 01, 2007, 6:20:13 AM by Bob Gretz

If you live and breath the red and gold, hopefully you’ll find your way to Arrowhead Stadium on Saturday for your first opportunity to see the 2007 Chiefs.

Make sure you grab a roster sheet, or just to be safe print off the roster right here on kcchiefs.com. There are a lot of new faces from the last time the Chiefs performed in public. That means a lot of new numbers, and plenty of duplicate numbers. Just remember, the guys in red play defense, the guys in white shirts play offense.

For instance, Boomer Grigsby is no longer No. 51 in red; he’s wearing No. 46 in white as a fullback. Long snapper Jean-Philippe Darche is now wearing the No. 51 jersey. There are defensive linemen wearing No. 90 and No. 93, but they aren’t Ryan Sims or John Browning. It’s the rookie duo of Turk McBride and Tank Tyler. Physically, it will be pretty obvious that Dante Hall is no longer No. 82 in red; that now belongs to Dwayne Bowe.

There will not be a No. 68 in white on the field. For the first time in 14 years, Will Shields is not part of the pre-season preparation. Rightfully so, nobody was issued his number for this year’s team. But there’s a familiar face back, wearing No. 59 in red. When you see Donnie Edwards running around on the Arrowhead grass it signals the end of a five-year linebacker nightmare for the Chiefs. He just never looked right in the dark blue that the Chargers wear.

If you look close, you might even see a red No. 24, as Ty Law is scheduled to make his first appearance in Kansas City since the end of the season. Make sure you catch a glimpse, because he will probably not be visible again in these parts until the team returns from training camp.

The players will not being wearing pads in the Saturday workout and there will be no intentional contact. That always makes it tough to judge the play of the big guys upfront. But among the other players, here are some names and numbers to watch for during the practice:

Boomer Grigsby, No. 46 white: Boomer has moved from linebacker to fullback and he’s running around out there like he knows what he’s doing in his new position. During Thursday’s OTA, he made a nice one-handed catch in the individual drills.

Napoleon Harris, No 50 red: Watch Harris in the drills when the whole defense is together. He’s already taken charge of the huddle, just like a middle linebacker must do for defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham. Watch him and the rest of the linebackers and you’ll see how much faster and more athletic the team has become in the last two seasons.

Kolby Smith, No. 21 white: As Smith goes through the drills, especially when the running backs are catching passes, watch him and tell me he doesn’t look like Kimble Anders out there. If he were wearing No. 38 he would be a dead ringer. He plays the game like the Chiefs former Pro Bowl fullback. He will be a factor for this team in the 2007 season.

Maurice Price, No. 17 white: Everybody’s eyes will be on first-round draft choice Bowe when the receivers are working. He’ll certainly get plenty of chances to catch the ball. But keep your eye on Price, a rookie free agent from Charleston Southern. He’s made a catch in just about every one of the five OTA sessions that has caught the attention of the coaches.

Brodie Croyle, No. 12 yellow: I’m not sure how the quarterback rotation will work, but Croyle will get his throws. What he’s shown again in the OTAs is that he’s got the arm to make just about any throw he wants to make. Croyle can wing it and he’s usually very accurate.

Tyron Brackenridge, No. 34 red and Tony Franklin, No. 41 red: There is some talent with these two young cornerbacks, both signed as college free agents out of Washington State and Virginia. Franklin struggled in Thursday’s OTA, which was noticeable since he’d really done a good job in handling the corner.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/06/01/gretz_what_to_watch_for/

Arrowhead Pride
06-01-2007, 10:08 AM
Can you still get a ticket at an Arbys in KC? Has anyone here gotten one yet?

Phobia
06-01-2007, 10:09 AM
Wait a minute - this can't be a Gretz column.

Where is the condescension and patronization of the fans? Where is the apologist for the Chiefs? I'm confused.

tomahawk kid
06-01-2007, 10:13 AM
Can you still get a ticket at an Arbys in KC? Has anyone here gotten one yet?

I got 6 yesterday.

They had a whole pile, but I doubt you'll need them.

HemiEd
06-01-2007, 10:25 AM
Tyron Brackenridge, No. 34 red

Seeing this name in print made my vision get blurry and rage start to surface. Fortunately my vision came back into focus.

InChiefsHeaven
06-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Seeing this name in print made my vision get blurry and rage start to surface. Fortunately my vision came back into focus.

How come? Who is he?

BigChiefFan
06-01-2007, 10:29 AM
Gretz actually wrote an article without being a complete ass.

KurtCobain
06-01-2007, 10:35 AM
How come? Who is he?

I think it's because it kinda looked like Todd Blackledge.

and btw, most arbys still have plenty of tickets. can we get an official headcount of who's going? Mayeb planet members can all meet up.

the Talking Can
06-01-2007, 10:36 AM
LETS GET IT ON!