PDA

View Full Version : Don’t let Vick escape again

Hammock Parties
06-02-2007, 07:47 AM
http://chiefs.scout.com/2/648097.html

Every NFL Commissioner has had a difficult situation to deal with during his tenure. Pete Rozelle had to deal with gambling issues, not to mention ensuring the survival of his fledgling league through sheer force of will. Paul Tagliabue coaxed the NFL through the antitrust cases and weathered the storm of upstart rival leagues in the 1980’s.

It’s early, but I think Roger Goodell’s first big hurdle is Falcons quarterback Michael Vick.

What’s the holdup?

It’s been over a week since Goodell made a statement about Vick’s involvement in dogfighting. The Commissioner remarked that he was “concerned about the issues,” would “continue to monitor it,” and wanted to “understand the facts” before any decision was made.

With the way Goodell is procrastinating on this dogfighting scandal, you’d think Vick offered him 10-to-1 odds on Fido versus Spike.

What more is there to understand? The evidence linking Vick to dogfighting at this juncture is about as clear as the evidence the NFL used to suspend Pacman Jones for a year.

This is getting ridiculous. The league has really enjoyed parading Jones around in a cage this offseason, like some sort of big game trophy. He’s their sacrificial lamb, their testament to how glorious their new policies are in the fight against NFL men of low moral fiber.

You want to make an example, Goodell? Make an example out of Vick. If you suspend him for a year, people will take notice, and not just the players. League executives, coaches and even fans will get the message.

Yes, even fans. Falcons diehards are jumping off the Vick bandwagon in droves at the moment. One of them is attempting to sell all eight of his #7 jerseys to anyone that will take them (Eight? The Falcons must be making a mint on alternate jersey sales).

On the Falcons official message board, people are already discussing the possibility of starting Joey Harrington and questioning Vick’s accuracy in comparison to D.J. Shockley. You know the situation has reached a crucial juncture when people start discussing D.J. Shockley. That’s like Chiefs fans expressing optimism in Casey Printers (“we need a mobile quarterback behind this offensive line!”)

Take a stand, Mr. Commissioner. You’ll come cracking down on Jones and slap Cincinnati’s Chris Henry on the wrist for eight games. You’ll make Washington’s Clinton Portis and Chris Samuels sweat bullets for even joking about dogfighting.

Meanwhile, you parade Vick around on NFL Draft Day at Radio City Music Hall like some kind of good guy. You prop him up next to upstanding NFL alumni like Bruce Smith and try to keep a straight face.

And it’s not just dogfighting. Vick’s been an honorary Duke of Hazzard since masquerading as Ron Mexico. He defiantly extended one finger to the fans in Atlanta after a November loss last season. Then there was the sly water-bottle incident at Miami International Airport in January.

Vick’s peeling out all over the NFL landscape in The General Lee. It’s time for Boss Hogg to set things right - even if Vick’s running is as pretty as Daisy Mae Duke.

Now we’re hearing that Vick is one of the “heavyweights” in dogfighting rings? Officials say they have enough evidence to indict? Congressmen are sniffing around? The prosecution has called in some guy named Poindexter?

Bring down the hammer, Mr. Commissioner. Bring it down like Rozelle brought it down on Paul Hornung and Alex Karras in 1963, suspending the pair for an entire year due to gambling.

The late Tex Schramm once said Rozelle gained immense respect around the league (even from Hornung’s coach, Vince Lombardi) when he passed judgment on Hornung and Karras. You want to carve out a niche for yourself in NFL history, Mr. Commissioner? You want to usher in a new era of player accountability and an NFL known for the quality of its character?

The line must be drawn here. Who cares if Vick has a $100 million contract? Who cares if the NFL Player’s Association will whine about a suspension (they’re already appealing the Pacman suspension)? An example must be made.

Don’t get Vicked.

06-02-2007, 07:52 AM
Hey GoChiefs, very nice! :clap:

Simplex3
06-02-2007, 07:53 AM
I agree. If he doesn't tank Vick for a year then he's proven he won't touch the high-priced golden boys.

blueballs
06-02-2007, 07:55 AM
they could tell it was Vick in the grainy video
because he kept bending over to pull up his socks

06-02-2007, 07:57 AM
I agree. If he doesn't tank Vick for a year then he's proven he won't touch the high-priced golden boys.
Which in turn will spawn more crap from guys like Vick and Pacman Jones.

If he doesn't draw a line in the sand with Vick, it's a big joke.

ChiefsfaninPA
06-02-2007, 07:57 AM
But, but, Vick has cut off his cornrolls and is in the process of changing his image. Should'nt that count for something.

Simplex3
06-02-2007, 08:20 AM
But, but, Vick has cut off his cornrolls and is in the process of changing his image. Should'nt that count for something.
Give him a year of free time so that he can really do it right.

milkman
06-02-2007, 08:31 PM
The article makes a good point, but that Dukes of Hazard refererence is really pathetic.

Kclee
06-02-2007, 08:58 PM
but that Dukes of Hazard refererence is really pathetic.

Or at least made a Flash reference...

HemiEd
06-02-2007, 09:58 PM
Your best effort to date, that I have read. Nice!

Hammock Parties
06-02-2007, 09:59 PM
The article makes a good point, but that Dukes of Hazard refererence is really pathetic.

Why?

Hammock Parties
06-02-2007, 10:00 PM
Your best effort to date, that I have read. Nice!

Aw hell. I think I've done better. What was so great about it?

Phobia
06-02-2007, 10:03 PM
Why?

It was awkward, forced, and passe'. Then it came back in the next paragraph. Again and again and again.

Definitely the low part of the article.

Phobia
06-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Aw hell. I think I've done better. What was so great about it?

He's a Dodge geek. He loves anything with references to the General Lee. Watch, I'll get rep for this post just for the reference to the General Lee.

GoHuge
06-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Not too shabby. Most peoples thoughts IMO.

Hammock Parties
06-02-2007, 10:07 PM
It was awkward, forced, and passe'. Then it came back in the next paragraph. Again and again and again.

Definitely the low part of the article.

You need to get laid.

HemiEd
06-02-2007, 10:07 PM
He's a Dodge geek. He loves anything with references to the General Lee. Watch, I'll get rep for this post just for the reference to the General Lee.

Kind of odd, but I thought that part was tastefully done, just enough and not too much.

Unlike some of the other times when he crossed the line of being too cute, I thought this was just enough.

Hammock Parties
06-02-2007, 10:08 PM
Kind of odd, but I thought that part was tastefully done, just enough and not too much.

Unlike some of the other times when he crossed the line of being too cute, I thought this was just enough.

FLAWLESS VICTORY!!!!!

GoHuge
06-02-2007, 10:17 PM
they could tell it was Vick in the grainy video
because he kept bending over to pull up his socksWhat video are you talking about? I haven't seen it.

Skip Towne
06-02-2007, 10:25 PM
You need to get laid.
Irony anyone?

Phobia
06-02-2007, 10:29 PM
You need to get laid.That's a great idea. Perhaps I will.

jAZ
06-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Shouldn't we wait until Vick is indicted first? Or at least arrested?

penguinz
06-03-2007, 04:14 AM
Shouldn't we wait until Vick is indicted first? Or at least arrested?Exactly. Nothing can be done until this happens.

htismaqe
06-03-2007, 06:03 AM
Shouldn't we wait until Vick is indicted first? Or at least arrested?

That didn't stop Goodell from suspending Pac Man for a year, why should it stop him now?

CrazyHorse
06-03-2007, 07:17 AM
This article is a little premature.

Which is understandable considering who submitted it.

Daisy Mae's not even out of her shorts yet.

blueballs
06-03-2007, 07:28 AM
How many stadiums will play
Who let the dogs out
when the Atl Vicks come to town

penguinz
06-03-2007, 08:13 AM
That didn't stop Goodell from suspending Pac Man for a year, why should it stop him now?
PacMan has at least been arrested and or charged.

jAZ
06-03-2007, 08:51 AM
What are you talking about? He'd been arrested 5 times and questioned by police 10 times in 2 years. And on March 26th, police recommended Jones be charged in the Vegas case.

Phobia
06-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Sometimes Parker makes things up. I didn't realize that until he admitted to it yesterday.

I'm guessing this is one of those cases.

Al Bundy
06-03-2007, 08:59 AM
My personal feeling is that Vick will skate on this. No matter how much he was or wasn't involved in this. Now anyone who think's he didn't know what was going on at his property is just naive. However being able to place him there betting on and participating in these dog fights will be a whole other story. The NFL wants this one to go away and I think they have done alot in pushing it off to this point. My feeling though is he won't get in any sort of trouble. Of course I could be wrong.... because I have been known to be, from time to time.

Bob Dole
06-03-2007, 09:08 AM
At the very least, the attention given Vick from this point forward will be based on his performance on the field.

Which means he won't get any positive attention.

Valiant
06-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Personally the article was crap in the way it criticized
Goodell for not going after Vick like he did Pacman...

Pacman is going to get charged, there is credible evidence against him... There is none of Vick yet, if there is then you can go after Goodell if he does or does not suspend him... Wait until Goodell has acted before you start criticising him for not going after Vick without hard facts..

Grainy video and hearsay are not suspendable reasons, if that was the case your parents would have kicked you out long ago of being a meat peeker...

But you should be proud, you emulated Athan on his journalistic ability.. none....

Valiant
06-03-2007, 12:25 PM
My personal feeling is that Vick will skate on this. No matter how much he was or wasn't involved in this. Now anyone who think's he didn't know what was going on at his property is just naive. However being able to place him there betting on and participating in these dog fights will be a whole other story. The NFL wants this one to go away and I think they have done alot in pushing it off to this point. My feeling though is he won't get in any sort of trouble. Of course I could be wrong.... because I have been known to be, from time to time.

I think he is guilty also, but unless you get someone testifying or a good video showing him there betting or with the dogs they can't do shit... Most athletes have many houses that they give to their friends and family to live in, you cannot convict him of that...

Personally I would love them to make him the example to all the other high-profile players, but do it only if they have proof....

bogie
06-03-2007, 12:35 PM
I think he is guilty also, but unless you get someone testifying or a good video showing him there betting or with the dogs they can't do shit... Most athletes have many houses that they give to their friends and family to live in, you cannot convict him of that...

Personally I would love them to make him the example to all the other high-profile players, but do it only if they have proof....

I don't know, if you can be arrested for letting someone drive your car drunk, I would think you could be arrested for letting someone fight dogs at your home.

htismaqe
06-03-2007, 12:47 PM
What are you talking about? He'd been arrested 5 times and questioned by police 10 times in 2 years. And on March 26th, police recommended Jones be charged in the Vegas case.

Goodell said Pac Man's suspension was due to him being repeatedly involved in off-the-field shit, not necessarily arrests or convictions.

Vick has repeatedly been involved in off-the-field incidents as well, from Ron Mexico to water bottle...

Mecca
06-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Pacman Jones got suspended because he had repeated issues.......

Vick is at this time a first time offender, seeing as he's never been in trouble before they will wait till he's convicted or not before deciding what they'll do with him.....If Vick had, had 2 or 3 other incidents then he'd be suspended now.....

As it stands this likely won't affect him for this season but could for the next seeing how long it generally takes for these things to play out.

Smed1065
06-03-2007, 04:55 PM
I believe they started a make notice of BS in the NFL and bad images, not convictions. When the "star" of the NFL gets noticed for off the field activities other than charities, it is a black eye.

We shall see in this case.

blueballs
06-03-2007, 05:55 PM
Report: Falcons Bracing for Six-Game Vick Suspension
Posted May 27th 2007 5:18PM by Michael David Smith
Filed under: Falcons, NFL Gossip, NFL Rumors, Atlanta, NFL Police Blotter

The ESPN Outside the Lines report that Falcons quarterback Michael Vick is involved in dog fighting has everyone talking, especially about the possibility -- now looking like a probability -- that Vick will be suspended. Matt Mosley reports on ESPN's new Hashmarks blog:

I'm told the Falcons are already bracing for a six-game suspension. I mean it's not like Commissioner Goodell has to wait on the investigation to play out. With Pacman Jones, he showed he's not waiting around for convictions before doling out punishment. As time passes, more and more people are going to come forward.

Goodell might be wishing right now that he hadn't established the precedent with Jones that the league will suspend players without waiting to see how the legal process plays out. Now that that precedent has been established, could Goodell possibly justify letting Vick go unpunished?

Hammock Parties
06-03-2007, 05:57 PM
Roger must have read my column.

htismaqe
06-04-2007, 07:52 AM
Pacman Jones got suspended because he had repeated issues.......

Vick is at this time a first time offender, seeing as he's never been in trouble before they will wait till he's convicted or not before deciding what they'll do with him.....If Vick had, had 2 or 3 other incidents then he'd be suspended now.....

As it stands this likely won't affect him for this season but could for the next seeing how long it generally takes for these things to play out.

Vick HAS HAD 2 or 3 other incidents.

Goodell has repeatedly stated that the "new" rules aren't based solely on arrests/convictions.

He suspended Pac Man Jones because of the number of times he had been QUESTIONED by the police.

I'm not saying Vick deserves the SAME fate as Jones. But he deserves SOMETHING, or this whole "policy" is a sham.

Delano
06-04-2007, 07:58 AM
With these new rules about suspension based on accusations and what not, I think the Chiefs should be proactive. Maybe, Carl can plant some rumors and accusations that Tomlinson stalks that pole-vault girl. Might be good for a few game suspension.

Mile High Mania
06-04-2007, 08:08 AM
This is solid news for KC fans hoping to get a nice return on Green... ATL should raise the stakes.

ct
06-04-2007, 08:16 AM

PacMan and Henry were repeat offenders, already on some type of probation. Despite the embarassment of the water bottle incident, fact is they had nothin and did not file charges.

Bring this article back up in a couple months and I'll agree with it, but not yet. Goodall's hands are tied for now.

htismaqe
06-04-2007, 08:34 AM
PacMan and Henry were repeat offenders, already on some type of probation. Despite the embarassment of the water bottle incident, fact is they had nothin and did not file charges.

Except that Goodell has repeatedly stated that it's about the PERCEPTION and not necessarily about legal action.

It's out there. The national writes are saying the same things that GoChiefs did in this article.

If Goodell doesn't punish Vick, he'll have lost any respect he ever had. Star players don't play by the same rules as everybody else.

kepp
06-04-2007, 09:00 AM
Good piece...enjoyed it and agree.

StcChief
06-04-2007, 09:30 AM
dem Dukes.... Vick needs at least a year off to understand Money can't buy everything. A year without pay/playing time watching at home will be good for him

MOhillbilly
06-04-2007, 09:51 AM
im waiting to see if the authorties can find vicks kennel in a match report of a gamedog rag. That will be the absolute.

crazycoffey
06-04-2007, 09:54 AM
General Lee Rocks!

Good reading, GoChiefs.

ct
06-04-2007, 10:48 AM
Except that Goodell has repeatedly stated that it's about the PERCEPTION and not necessarily about legal action.

It's out there. The national writes are saying the same things that GoChiefs did in this article.

If Goodell doesn't punish Vick, he'll have lost any respect he ever had. Star players don't play by the same rules as everybody else.

I agree completely with you final point, just not yet. Despite how much guys like GoChiefs and yourself want action now, they need to be patient.

Phobia
06-04-2007, 12:14 PM

Yeah, but Gochiefs said it first. They're parroting his thoughts.

htismaqe
06-04-2007, 12:31 PM
I agree completely with you final point, just not yet. Despite how much guys like GoChiefs and yourself want action now, they need to be patient.

That's the problem. He wasn't patient with Jones.

But now he's supposed to be patient with Vick? Why?

Mile High Mania
06-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Well, they just handed Tank Johnson an 8 game suspension... so now that's out of the way, the commish can focus on Vick.

Pushead2
06-04-2007, 02:08 PM
Well, they just handed Tank Johnson an 8 game suspension... so now that's out of the way, the commish can focus on Vick.

Couldn't agree more. Vick is flirting with suspension. It'll come.

jettio
06-04-2007, 04:24 PM
The NFL's hands are tied because of all of those damn NFL films clips with Walt Garrison, Bob Lilly and other gridiron heroes saying that, "It is not the size of the dog in the fight, it is the size of the fight in the dog."

You also have to consider that pregame flyovers involve military aircraft and pilots with significant connections to "dog-fighting".

However, if it turns out that there is credible evidence that Vick is involved in dog-fighting, he should have to sit out some time and he should have his jersey number changed to K-9 for the rest of his career.

I think we can all agree that Goodell should consult with Bennie Thompson before making any decisions on the NFL's dog policy.

greg63
06-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Good article!

Buns
06-04-2007, 04:59 PM
Good article and I agree fully. Vick will get at least 8 games off.

Phobia
06-04-2007, 04:59 PM
The NFL's hands are tied because of all of those damn NFL films clips with Walt Garrison, Bob Lilly and other gridiron heroes saying that, "It is not the size of the dog in the fight, it is the size of the fight in the dog."

You also have to consider that pregame flyovers involve military aircraft and pilots with significant connections to "dog-fighting".

However, if it turns out that there is credible evidence that Vick is involved in dog-fighting, he should have to sit out some time and he should have his jersey number changed to K-9 for the rest of his career.

I think we can all agree that Goodell should consult with Bennie Thompson before making any decisions on the NFL's dog policy.

Most of this post contains sickeningly dry references to goofiness. What's wrong with you? You're obviously ill.

and I LOVED it.

jettio
06-04-2007, 05:26 PM
Most of this post contains sickeningly dry references to goofiness. What's wrong with you? You're obviously ill.

and I LOVED it.

Thanks, work has kept me from posting much lately, but when I saw a Johnnie Morton "fight" article, I figured I better check out the Planet for some good laughs on that.

Brock
06-04-2007, 05:54 PM
Thanks, work has kept me from posting much lately.

Thank your boss for us.