PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Baseball: Settle a Disagreement

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-03-2007, 09:14 PM
I am acting as commish for one of my friends while he is on vacation. Yesterday, two of the teams set up a trade: A-Rod and Prince Fielder for Mike Lowell, Fausto Carmona, and Brad Hennessey.

I, of course, struck it down with great vengance and furious anger, a la Jules in "Pulp Fiction", then they proceeded to throw a shit fit saying that it was a fair trade.

What say the fantasy bb'ers on the planet??

tk13
06-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Do you have reason to suspect collusion between the two parties? Are they good friends or relatives or something? The longer I've been in fantasy baseball the more leniant I've been about stupid trades as long as the two parties think they're getting fair value. I guess that has to go into it.

That said, that's not a very good trade at all. Carmona doesn't strike anybody out, his numbers will probably balloon a bit, Hennessey was most likely picked up off the waiver wire this week, I'm guessing, and now they're being turned around in for the two top HR guys in baseball. Yeah right.

Valiant
06-03-2007, 09:19 PM
Horrible trade, more then likely the guy getting the 3 players will also have to cut a player also..

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Do you have reason to suspect collusion between the two parties? Are they good friends or relatives or something? The longer I've been in fantasy baseball the more leniant I've been about stupid trades as long as the two parties think they're getting fair value. I guess that has to go into it.

That said, that's not a very good trade at all. Hennessey was most likely picked up off the waiver wire this week, I'm guessing, and now he's being turned around in for the two top HR guys in baseball. Yeah right.

They are coworkers, that's all I know.

According the Yahoo Ranks:

A-Rod: 2
Fielder 8

Being turned for

Mike Lowell: 17
Hennessey: 220-something
Carmona-220-something.

There were something like 13 pitchers available who have better overall ranks on the waiver wire, so essentially they were trading A-Rod, who is 3B eligible, for another 3B and giving up the #2 or 3 1B so far.

WTF?

tk13
06-03-2007, 09:29 PM
Yeah, I'm not super big on the Yahoo rankings, I think in this case they show how lopsided it is, but I never use them to make trades.

If it was a bit more of an established closer, and a similiar starter that actually struck people out, that would be a decent enough trade. But Carmona's got something like 28 K's in 68 IP, which is horrible, and Hennessey just took over the job. I don't know how you could look at that trade and not say the one guy is getting destroyed.

DJ's left nut
06-03-2007, 09:31 PM
My rule doesn't change, regardless of the trade:

If you don't suspect collusion, the trade stands.

Next time, take advantage of the dummy in your league before the other guy does.

JohnnyV13
06-03-2007, 09:37 PM
No,

I strike down this trade. It is so unbalanced, that it makes a mockery of the rest of the league.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-03-2007, 09:39 PM
My rule doesn't change, regardless of the trade:

If you don't suspect collusion, the trade stands.

Next time, take advantage of the dummy in your league before the other guy does.

I'm not IN the league. I was managing it for a friend.

Otherwise, I'd just initiate a reign of terror on the sorry sonsabitches.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-03-2007, 09:40 PM
Yeah, I'm not super big on the Yahoo rankings, I think in this case they show how lopsided it is, but I never use them to make trades.

If it was a bit more of an established closer, and a similiar starter that actually struck people out, that would be a decent enough trade. But Carmona's got something like 28 K's in 68 IP, which is horrible, and Hennessey just took over the job. I don't know how you could look at that trade and not say the one guy is getting destroyed.

I was using the actual rank, not the O-rank, FWIW.

DJ's left nut
06-03-2007, 09:50 PM
If it's a points league with a RP and innings limit, Hennessey's SP/RP status makes him as valuable as anyone in the league.

In which case it turns into Hennessey for Fielder(which isn't absurd); and Lowell/Carmona for A-Rod. The second part is pretty bad, but it's the kind of sell high (carmona), buy low (A-Rod) deal that I think you should allow the owners to make.

If the guy has a decent backup 3b and a lousy pitching staff, then the deal becomes even more tolerable, but still not good. I think there is enough of an explanation that the deal should be allowed.

Ebolapox
06-03-2007, 09:53 PM
I think you were right to veto it--wasn't carmona demoted to the minor leagues within the last few days anyway? if so, carmona being in the trade is nil anyway

tk13
06-03-2007, 09:57 PM
If it's a points league with a RP and innings limit, Hennessey's SP/RP status makes him as valuable as anyone in the league.

In which case it turns into Hennessey for Fielder(which isn't absurd); and Lowell/Carmona for A-Rod. The second part is pretty bad, but it's the kind of sell high (carmona), buy low (A-Rod) deal that I think you should allow the owners to make.

If the guy has a decent backup 3b and a lousy pitching staff, then the deal becomes even more tolerable, but still not good. I think there is enough of an explanation that the deal should be allowed.
Fielder leads the National League in HR's, tied with A-Rod for the league lead, and is probably the single hottest hitter in baseball. Hennessey is a pitcher with a 4.40 career ERA who was just named closer for the first time in his life a couple days ago. Maybe Hennessey will turn into Mariano Rivera or something, but that's pure speculation, as of now I don't think the two are even close. You might as well be trading Ryan Howard for Octavio Dotel, I think that's a comparable trade.

RJ
06-03-2007, 09:58 PM
That's a bad trade on the surface but there is no rule against making bad trades in most leagues.

Overrule the deal if you smell a rat, otherwise let it go though.

Is this a keeper league? Are there salaries involved?

Hootie
06-03-2007, 10:43 PM
collusion.

Sure-Oz
06-03-2007, 10:46 PM
Trade would be vetoed via vote by the league anyway, you did the right thing, easily.

ChiefsCountry
06-03-2007, 10:50 PM
Damn I didnt know Allan Baird was in that league.

Logical
06-03-2007, 11:28 PM
I hardly follow Baseball anymore and I know that is a horrid trade. Seems like you made a good decision. At the very least put the trade off until the real commisioner returns and let him decide.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-04-2007, 01:07 AM
I hardly follow Baseball anymore and I know that is a horrid trade. Seems like you made a good decision. At the very least put the trade off until the real commisioner returns and let him decide.

I locked them out of trading until he's back.

KCFalcon59
06-04-2007, 08:36 AM
Horrible trade. You did the right thing. Something smells fishy.

Codered
06-04-2007, 08:52 AM
Yeah... I'd say it's pretty obvious someone is trying to stack a team. Even one of A-Rod or Prince for those three would look fishy never the less both of them.

StcChief
06-04-2007, 08:57 AM
any real bad trades always look like possible collusion.

even if the mgr getting the shaft is dumb.

Veto was the right thing to do. Keeps everyone honest