PDA

View Full Version : Couple of articles on KC's QB position.

Direckshun
06-03-2007, 11:21 PM
We should just pool them in here this morning.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-chiefs-croyle&prov=ap&type=lgns

Croyle figures he's ready to be No. 1
By DOUG TUCKER, AP Sports Writer
June 3, 2007

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- The football came zipping out of Brodie Croyle's hand.

It soared 50 yards and came to rest with perfect precision in the arms of a wide receiver streaking toward the back of the end zone.
Brett Favre couldn't have thrown a more perfect pass. No wonder Trent Green is clamoring to be traded to Miami.

For at least this one play in practice, when the defense wasn't hitting for real, the third-round draft pick from Alabama looked as if he's ready to start in the NFL.

Does he feel like he is?

"I do," Croyle said Sunday.

"If you'd asked me the same question last year, I'd have probably said the same thing. But last year I wasn't. But through a whole year of learning and a whole offseason of continuing to get a little bigger, I feel like I'm ready to go."

Whether he's ready or not will ultimately be Herm Edwards' decision. And there's no way the coach is going to show his hand.

"I have a while to do that," Edwards said Sunday, the final day of the Chiefs' mandatory three-day minicamp. "The competition's been good. You don't rush it. It all takes care of itself."

In the meantime, Croyle, Green and Damon Huard all continue to share the ball equally in practice. Green, the aging starter for most of the last six seasons, waits impatiently for the Chiefs to agree to a trade that will send him to the Dolphins.

He and Miami already have worked out a contract. He maintains Croyle is Kansas City's quarterback of the future and that any competition in the Chiefs' camp will be "weighted" to Croyle's advantage.

Plus, hardly anybody thinks the Chiefs will keep Green and his $7.2 million salary as a backup.

Croyle, a soft-spoken, second-year pro, is doing his best to sidestep all the controversy.

"We've all had the same amount of reps basically the whole time," he said. "I'm going to get my shot, but at the same time I've still got to earn it."

By no means does he view the job as his to lose.

"I view it as up in the air," he said. "As long as I have the best day or the best camp or whatever, then I've got a shot at being a starter."

Croyle made several eye-catching plays during a 90-minute workout in front of about 15,000 fans on Saturday, but also misfired a couple of times.

"I've still got a long way to go," he said. "There were a lot of things Saturday I could have done better. I have a tendency to want to push the ball when I could easily have taken a checkdown. I've gotten better at that. But I've still got a long way to go. I still have the rest of (team practices) and training camp to get ready to go."

Neither Croyle nor Huard, who started eight games last year while Green recuperated from a severe concussion, says the ongoing quarterback uncertainty is a problem.

"Not with us," Croyle said of Green. "He's a pro. He comes in, he's the same Trent. My locker's right next to his. We still have the same conversations we've always had. So it hasn't translated over to us."

But isn't it hard to get a rhythm going with everyone sharing equally in practice time?

"It is," Croyle said. "It would be easier if you took 60 percent of the reps like if you were the starter. But you have to earn that right. You just have to make the most of the reps you get."

As he visited with reporters on the edge of the practice field, it was obvious that Croyle had prepared carefully for all questions about Green and Miami sure to come his way.

"It doesn't do us any good to talk about it. Trent's situation is Trent's situation," he said. "He doesn't bring it into the locker room. He comes out here and practices like he's a Kansas City Chief. Until otherwise, that's how he's going to do it. I have a lot to worry about myself."

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/135126.html

Chiefs no closer to picking starting QB
Edwards says Huard, Croyle and Green will rotate in offseason practices.
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The quarterback carousel took another spin for the Chiefs on Sunday as they concluded their three-day minicamp.

Damon Huard spent most of the 1½-hour practice session working with the starters, following Brodie Croyle on Friday and Trent Green on Saturday.

“They’ve all had the ability to play with the first group, and that’s what you want to make sure that you give them a chance to do,” coach Herm Edwards said. “They’ve all been able to do that, and they all have to be in those situations so you can really see how they handle it.”

Edwards indicated the quarterbacks can expect a similar rotation through the end of offseason practice.

The Chiefs were scheduled for three sessions in each of the next three weeks.

Even then, the Chiefs may not be any closer to making a decision on a starting quarterback. For evaluation purposes, these practices in shorts and T-shirts won’t be as valuable as those in pads at training camp. That’s when the quarterback play will truly count.

For now, the Chiefs remain eager to get a good look at Croyle, their third-round pick last year.

Although the delicate situation regarding Green and his desire to be traded to the Miami Dolphins has forced the odd practice rotation and caused the Chiefs to be cautious about what they say publicly, they haven’t swayed from the stance that Croyle will be given every opportunity to win the job.

“I’m going to get my shot,” Croyle said, “but I’ll still have to earn it.”

The Chiefs even tinkered with their offense to make it friendly for a younger quarterback.

“We’ve designed things offensively where we’ve made it a lot easier for the quarterback to get the ball out of his hand,” Edwards said.

“We’re not holding on to the ball that long. He’s familiar with that a little bit.”

While the nature of practice this time of year makes it difficult for Croyle or another quarterback to claim the starter’s job, it is possible for him to play himself out of the running. That hasn’t happened with Croyle, who said he believes his year on the bench with the Chiefs was an appropriate apprenticeship.

“If you had asked me the same question last year, I probably would have said (I was ready to be the starter),” Croyle said.

“But I wasn’t. I went through a whole year of learning and a whole offseason of continuing to learn and continuing to get a little bigger; I feel I’m ready to go.

“It would be easier if you took 60 percent of the (snaps) like you were the starter. But you have to earn that right. You just have to make the most of the ones you get.”

As difficult as it is to take Green seriously as a candidate — he has campaigned for the trade and said he won’t play for the Chiefs — he continues to show for practice.

“I sense some of his frustrations,” Huard said. “But he still comes out here to work every day and competes.”

Huard re-signed with the Chiefs last winter rather than take his chances as a free agent.

“I was told I’d get a chance to compete for the job,” he said. “I believe that’s what I’m being given.

“We’re all going to get our (plays) and get our work. At the end of the day, I think they’ll make the right choice whoever starts.

“I’ve been down this road competing for a job, competing for a backup spot, competing to be a starter. I’ve been through it all.

“At the end of the day, it just makes you that much better.”

Ebolapox
06-03-2007, 11:25 PM
went out tiger hunting with his elephant and gun
in case of accidents he always took his mom
he's the all American bullet-headed saxon mother's son

luv
06-03-2007, 11:26 PM
Croyle, baby. All the way.

BigRock
06-03-2007, 11:47 PM
The football came zipping out of Brodie Croyle's hand.

It soared 50 yards and came to rest with perfect precision in the arms of a wide receiver streaking toward the back of the end zone. Brett Favre couldn't have thrown a more perfect pass. No wonder Trent Green is clamoring to be traded to Miami.
boner

TinyEvel
06-04-2007, 12:09 AM
So, how many 50-yard passes will we see this season? one? Two?
Last time I checked if you're passing the ball it's because you're behind in the football game. Let's not get this thing all twisted. Just because the boy can throw it 50 yards, we're not going to be throwing the ball all over the ballpark That's because the ballpark is across the parking lot. (heh, heh) This here is a stadium. Now, that said, we're not going to be throwing the ball all over the stadium either. We're doing some thing sto change our offense. We've got Larry doing catching drills so we can get him the ball out of the backfield. We're practicing some quick, short routes. And with Bowe and Tony Gonzales blocking LJ's got a good chance of catching some of those throws

FloridaMan88
06-04-2007, 08:16 AM
Looks like Dictator Carl has instructed his propaganda machine to begin leaking these pro-Croyle spin-jobs to local AP guy Doug Tucker in an attempt to create the illusion that Brodie Croyle is an NFL-caliber QB

Brock
06-04-2007, 08:23 AM
Looks like Dictator Carl has instructed his propaganda machine to begin leaking these pro-Croyle spin-jobs to local AP guy Doug Tucker in an attempt to create the illusion that Brodie Croyle is an NFL-caliber QB

Looks like someone didn't bother watching minicamp.

htismaqe
06-04-2007, 08:26 AM
So, how many 50-yard passes will we see this season? one? Two?

How many 50-yard passes did we see under Saunders?

Oh that's right, we didn't have a QB on the roster that could throw it that far...

htismaqe
06-04-2007, 08:26 AM
Looks like someone didn't bother watching minicamp.

He's never bothered to be informed before, why should he start now?

Messier
06-04-2007, 08:30 AM

It must suck to hate your favorite team.

Pushead2
06-04-2007, 08:31 AM
Croyle, baby. All the way.

Agreed.

Reerun_KC
06-04-2007, 08:34 AM
Could the Chiefs make this anymore of a cluster F*ck?

Lets stop the pathetic mockery of Management and get the deal done..

Croyle needs to prepare and take the majority of the snaps in mini camps, training camps and treated like the starter in pre-season...

Trent is as good as gone. Huard is a never will be, Croyle is our only shot at a QBoTF... Man up Herm and put this to rest? IF you have the balls to do it, Make Croyle your starter and get this over with... Making Croyle his starter would force Carls hand at getting a deal done with Trent... Herm needs to stop being Carl's Hand Puppet.

Skip Towne
06-04-2007, 08:37 AM
And they are doing a hell of a job. I'm completely sold on Croyle. He is a player of Rich Scanlonesque proportions.

Darien25
06-04-2007, 09:48 AM
I wonder if Croyle has added any bulk over the year? I watched him up close at training camp in River Falls last year and he was by far our smallest of build QB. I've read reports that he was trying to add weight. Anyone at mini camp notice any difference in size from this year to last?

htismaqe
06-04-2007, 10:02 AM
I wonder if Croyle has added any bulk over the year? I watched him up close at training camp in River Falls last year and he was by far our smallest of build QB. I've read reports that he was trying to add weight. Anyone at mini camp notice any difference in size from this year to last?

He had added weight as of the Sandy Eggo home game last year. I know that much.