PDA

View Full Version : Have a Sam Adams

Mile High Mania
06-04-2007, 06:05 AM
Looks like Denver is on the verge of signing "big boy" to a one year deal. I'm all for it if he's still got something in the tank and willing to work for a minimal deal. Sam's best days are definitely on highlight reels though, but I guess he can be a nice part of a rotation.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_6054090

chagrin
06-04-2007, 06:13 AM
Figures, KC is too chicken shit to sign a big fat guy on the D-line

HemiEd
06-04-2007, 06:30 AM
The un-ending pain, the Broncos have endured to put together a DLine, makes me feel better about the Chiefs situation.

chagrin
06-04-2007, 06:31 AM
The un-ending pain, the Broncos have endured to put together a DLine, makes me feel better about the Chiefs situation.

I was mostly being sarcastic

HemiEd
06-04-2007, 06:32 AM
I was mostly being sarcastic

I knew that.

chagrin
06-04-2007, 06:39 AM
I knew that.

did not

06-04-2007, 06:59 AM
Good, I didn't want him signing with the Patriots.

Reerun_KC
06-04-2007, 07:27 AM
Reminds me of the Chester McDonalds signing several years ago..

Lots of fat, very little production...

StcChief
06-04-2007, 07:31 AM
they should go with Sam Adams Light not the full flavored Lager

HemiEd
06-04-2007, 07:36 AM
did not

did to.

Reerun_KC
06-04-2007, 07:38 AM

True, very true, Our line is younger and has lots of room for growth, while Denvers line is getting old...

Better watch out they might sign the LIONS DL someday soon and we all will be in trouble...

Codered
06-04-2007, 07:43 AM
True, very true, Our line is younger and has lots of room for growth, while Denvers line is getting old...

Better watch out they might sign the LIONS DL someday soon and we all will be in trouble...

Not that Sam Adams is a huge signing or anything, but they just drafted three pretty decent DL prospects in the draft themselves.

Lzen
06-04-2007, 07:49 AM
I was just drinking the Sam Adams Summer Ale last night. Yummy.

Nzoner
06-04-2007, 08:04 AM
I was just drinking the Sam Adams Summer Ale last night. Yummy.

I saw that advertised and thought I'd like to try it,anything you can compare it to?

Mile High Mania
06-04-2007, 08:12 AM

Ok, so did you just throw that out there... or did you really look at the youth movement on both teams? There's only a couple of guys beyond 8 years, everyone else appears to be 5 and younger. But, that would mess up your argument..

Reerun_KC
06-04-2007, 08:14 AM
Ok, so did you just throw that out there... or did you really look at the youth movement on both teams? There's only a couple of guys beyond 8 years, everyone else appears to be 5 and younger. But, that would mess up your argument..

Just threw that out there..... :Poke:

Poking at the Broncos for signing the whole DL from the Browns...

Mile High Mania
06-04-2007, 08:16 AM
Just threw that out there..... :Poke:

Poking at the Broncos for signing the whole DL from the Browns...

Ah, stuck in yesteryear...

Messier
06-04-2007, 08:26 AM

Two years ago is yesteryear?

Mile High Mania
06-04-2007, 08:45 AM
Two years ago is yesteryear?

Well, since they're not loaded with CLE DLinemen anymore... yeah, I guess 2 years ago would qualify as "yesteryear" in this era of the NFL.

Messier
06-04-2007, 08:47 AM
Well, since they're not loaded with CLE DLinemen anymore... yeah, I guess 2 years ago would qualify as "yesteryear" in this era of the NFL.

Wow, so most of them are gone now? I guess that didn't work out too well.

Mile High Mania
06-04-2007, 08:51 AM
Wow, so most of them are gone now? I guess that didn't work out too well.

It happens...

Reerun_KC
06-04-2007, 08:51 AM

Dude it was just a couple of years ago.. Dont panic....

Lzen
06-04-2007, 08:52 AM
I saw that advertised and thought I'd like to try it,anything you can compare it to?

Heh, I'm not exactly a beer connoisseur. I just know what I like. I like some flavor in my beer. I think that Sam Adams commercial said that they have like 18 different beers. I have tried probably about 10-12 of them and have yet to find one that I didn't like. I know one that I don't want to try is the cherry wheat. That just doesn't sound good at all. Also, I'm not really into thick beers like a porter. Sam Adams website could probably give you info.

Mile High Mania
06-04-2007, 08:54 AM
Dude it was just a couple of years ago.. Dont panic....

Panic? Weird...

Lzen
06-04-2007, 08:54 AM
Oh yeah, my favorite Sam Adams of all is the Winter Lager. Mmmmmmm.

Mile High Mania
06-04-2007, 01:27 PM
And, they make it official...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2892781&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Lzen
06-04-2007, 01:35 PM
Get out of here, MHM. We're trying to talk beer.

Mile High Mania
06-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Get out of here, MHM. We're trying to talk beer.

I'm all for it... I like a majority of their brands.
:clap:

BigRock
06-04-2007, 01:37 PM
I remember Bengals fans showing up here last year (since we opened the season against them) and harping on the fact that they'd signed Sam Adams. Big Sam was going to single-handedly fix their defense and shut down all the league's best backs and blah blah blah.

And then their defense actually got worse in 2006. LMAO

Not that it's Sam's fault they got worse, but it's funny nonetheless. Stupid Bengals.

Mile High Mania
06-04-2007, 01:39 PM
Well, the Bengals had all sorts of issues last season... I don't think he's the "golden ticket" to greatness, but I like the signing. The price is likely reasonable and he started every game last year... so, he can still have a solid presence and should be a nice addition with the rotation and the younger guys.

bdeg
06-04-2007, 02:11 PM
You guys DID sign Alvin McKinley this offseason.

Heh, I'm not exactly a beer connoisseur. I just know what I like. I like some flavor in my beer. I think that Sam Adams commercial said that they have like 18 different beers. I have tried probably about 10-12 of them and have yet to find one that I didn't like. I know one that I don't want to try is the cherry wheat. That just doesn't sound good at all. Also, I'm not really into thick beers like a porter. Sam Adams website could probably give you info.
The cherry wheat is actually really good if you don't mind quite a bit of flavor in your beer. It's obviously artificial cherry, but the aftertaste is excellent.

gblowfish
06-04-2007, 02:15 PM
He'll drop dead in that thin air.

beer bacon
06-04-2007, 02:49 PM
Adams really hasn't been any good the last couple seasons.

Steve Sewell
06-04-2007, 02:53 PM
Y'alls are just jealous of our new 340 lb, 34 year old DT! I can sense the fear in all of your replies! Look out LJ!!!!!!!!!!one!11!!eleven1!!

bdeg
06-04-2007, 02:54 PM
Adams really hasn't been any good the last couple seasons.
Very true.

According to the espn article: "A classic two-gap player, he rarely registers impressive tackle numbers, but his value has never been measured by statistics."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2892781&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

REALLY?
His best season ('97) he had 52 tackles. He had 19 and then 14 in the previous 2 years. If that's not a decline I don't know what is.

Reerun_KC
06-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Y'alls are just jealous of our new 340 lb, 34 year old DT! I can sense the fear in all of your replies! Look out LJ!!!!!!!!!!one!11!!eleven1!!

Heard on the radio when this was announced that people of KC started to panic!

Here is a picture of the mass confusion, the guy in the foreground was qouted as saying " Sam Adams is going to Hurt LJ...."

http://www.sacticket.com/static/movies/news/images/wow01.jpg

Lzen
06-04-2007, 03:10 PM
The cherry wheat is actually really good if you don't mind quite a bit of flavor in your beer. It's obviously artificial cherry, but the aftertaste is excellent.

I'm sure I will probably be brave enough to try it one day.

Simply Red
06-04-2007, 03:20 PM
He's a big brother. But on the wrong side of 30.

Splat420
06-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Not a bad pick up but far from great.

Fairplay
06-04-2007, 05:29 PM
The pic thats in the site posted shows a donk player sticking something into a little boys backside, heh. :eek:

OrlandoChief
06-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Biggest concern is how Wiegaman seems to struggle against oversized/overwieght D-Tackles.

PunkinDrublic
06-04-2007, 05:43 PM
This signing will have no signifigance. Adams is washed up.

listopencil
06-04-2007, 06:21 PM
This is a quality signing. A player like Sam Adams is what we needed. A big fat vet on the D-Line to throw into the rotation while our rookie(s) learns the ropes. Now I hope we pick up another rookie DT from next years draft and our D-Line could be set up for years.

Skip Towne
06-04-2007, 08:07 PM
:ZZZ:

Simply Red
06-04-2007, 08:50 PM
BEEN STANDIN AROUND SUCKIN ON MY BIG OL' CHILI DOG

alanm
06-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Not a bad signing for the Bronco's. How much does it cost to have a stump in the middle of your dline?
Most teams choose to run around him.

Direckshun
06-04-2007, 10:53 PM
Stop gap. Decent signing.

Rotation guy who'll play obvious running situations. Can't push the pocket anymore.

Denver's done a fairly good job upgrading their DL, but nearly all of them are experiments outside of Moss and Thomas. There's lots of upside here, but lots of downside as well.

* Thomas is a sure thing, IMO.
* Moss will fare pretty well if he gets good DT help.
* Mebane's a question mark.
* McKinley's a familiar path that Shanahan's burnt the Bronks with before.
* Adams may or may not have anything left.
* Warren is hot and cold. Make that lukewarm and cold.
* I can't help but think Dumervil's maxed out his potential, but at least he's a known quality.
* Ekuban's plateau'd, and may descend this year.
* Engelberger is just kind of there.
* You got Carlos Hall from us -- enjoy.
* Kenard Lang should be a solid backup.
* I may be the only person on the planet -- and that includes Donk fans -- that likes Demetri Veal, but he's not a world beater.
* Wilkinson was gone before he even got here.

All in all, it's not a shabby DL, but it needs to prove something for me. Some of Denver's DL signings this offseason show an aggressiveness for status more than anything -- they reek of "look at me!".

I like the blue collar guys you sported last year, but they're backups. The rooks were good picks, but the veteran DT signings haven't shown the wit and wisdom of Donkey past.

Sam Adams? I don't know. He'll help, but I think the Bronks are just trying to blitzkrieg the DL and pray everything falls into place. If it does, they're geniuses, but their fans have as good a reason to be skeptical as they do hopeful.

Direckshun
06-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Nobody's biting? C'mon.

bdeg
06-04-2007, 11:50 PM
Thomas is about as far from a sure thing as you can get. It isn't just the fact that he used drugs in the past, it's that he failed to show the desire to get on the field. How much money does he need before he decides he's set and it's time to party? I liked the Crowder pick though. Don't know what Mebane you're talking about. Brandon Mebane was drafted by Seattle.

bdeg
06-04-2007, 11:57 PM
Anyway, I think they drafted some good talent and will be a force in a few years. For now it still seems pretty patchwork.

listopencil
06-05-2007, 12:53 AM
Stop gap. Decent signing.

I tend to agree with your post, except-

* Mebane's a question mark.

2007 Third Round: [Seattle] Mebane, Brandon DT 6-1 305 California

We got OT Harris in the third. I liked Mebane and wanted him over Harris but the Broncos are doing what they needed to do.

Direckshun
06-05-2007, 07:23 AM
Good call. I must have confused him with Crowder -- I didn't even know the Donks drafted Crowder.

How out of it am I.

Mile High Mania
06-05-2007, 10:17 AM
I think the Broncos took a few chances with the defensive rookies, esp Thomas... but they all are pretty highly regarded and the potential is definitely there.

The risk/reward is worth it in my opinion.

And, yes... it is a patchwork DL... who knows if it will work out or not. Decent mix of veterans and youth with the rotation. I think Sam Adams is a bit old and a bit large, but he doesn't appear to be a bad character guy and can play well given the right situation.

I think this team has a lot of balance on both sides of the ball. I wasn't expecting a dramatic overhaul this offseason, but I think they've gone about it very well. I wouldn't say they're rebuilding, b/c the core is still there, but depth is much better.

htismaqe
06-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Denver's done a fairly good job upgrading their DL, but nearly all of them are experiments outside of Moss and Thomas. There's lots of upside here, but lots of downside as well.

Moss and Thomas are absolutely experiments.

Thomas has SERIOUS character questions.

And there's plenty of reason to believe that Moss might not have the frame to be a full-time NFL DE. He's very tall and very thin, not a good combination for gaining leverage on 320-lb. OT's.

Mile High Mania
06-05-2007, 10:27 AM
I'm thinking that is maybe why they signed Sam Adams... he is going to be the nutritionist for the rookies (Moss).