PDA

View Full Version : RAND: Huard's waited a decade for this chance

C-Mac
06-04-2007, 08:31 AM
RAND: Huard's waited a decade for this chance
Jun 04, 2007, 8:59:56 AM by Jonathan Rand - FAQ

Damon Huard doesn’t try to be a mystery man. Everything about him, in fact, seems so straightforward.

But his outstanding performance at quarterback for the Chiefs last season seems so out of context with five seasons he spent in mothballs. He totaled one pass from 2001-2005 as a Patriot for three seasons and as a Chief for two. Then he popped up as one of the NFL’s most effective passers.

How can this be?

It’s possible that Huard’s 2006 performance was just a flash in the pan. It’s also possible that in his 10th NFL season, the light came on for Huard. His 98.0 passer rating was bettered only by Peyton Manning, who led the Colts to the Super Bowl championship.

It’s also possible that Huard was merely unlucky enough to get stuck behind Dan Marino, Drew Bledsoe, Tom Brady and Trent Green, though it’s hard to understand why Huard couldn’t beat out Jay Fiedler for the starting job at Miami in 2000. Whatever has been holding Huard back, he’s struggled mightily for the opportunity he has now.

Huard, who turns 34 next month, appears the favorite right now to be an opening-day starter for the first time in his career. Incumbent Trent Green has one foot out the door unless the Chiefs’ trade talks with the Dolphins collapse, and Huard outplayed him last year, anyway. And it’s hard to envision second-year passer Brodie Croyle being ready to start by opening day with only seven NFL passes, including two interceptions, under his belt.

Huard spent last season making big plays – 11 touchdown passes; minimizing mistakes – just one interception; and winning – a 5-3 record as a starter. Despite not being especially nimble, he got rid of the ball quickly enough to avoid constant scrambling.

And while the perception of Huard might’ve been a defensive driver being kept under wraps by coach Herm Edwards and his staff, his 7.70 yards per attempt hardly reflected the average of a dink passer. Huard also has displayed a veteran’s poise on and off the field. As he stood on the practice field Sunday, fielding reporters’ questions at the end of the weekend mini-camp, he amiably and deftly handled questions about Green’s awkward status and Croyle’s chances to win the job.

“At my age, I’ve been down the road, I’ve been through it all,” Huard said. “You always want the young guy to beat the old guy, but we’ll see what happens come the first week.”

Huard knows that if Green is gone and his competition with Croyle is a dead heat, Edwards will pick the player with the bigger upside. Huard, a free agent after last season, said that before he signed a new contract, the Chiefs assured him the chance to compete for the starting job. That seemed a better offer than he would get anywhere else.

A quarterback with Huard’s 2006 statistics could be excused if he publicly stated the case that the job should be his to lose. By now, however, Huard knows better than to take anything for granted. He’ll have to reassure Edwards that he’s the same quarterback he was last season.

What made Huard’s performance all the more impressive was that he was leading a declining cast. Tackle Willie Roaf’s retirement triggered a drop-off in line play. Green’s protection was so weak in the opening game that after he suffered a concussion, Huard figured to become no more than a sacrificial lamb. Instead, after a rusty performance at Denver in his first start, he led the Chiefs into playoff contention before Green returned in mid-November.

Huard was a poor man’s “The Natural,” a thirty-something athlete who emerges from obscurity and helps rescue a team going nowhere. If an established starter had a season like Huard’s, he’d have the starting job locked up by now. Instead, Huard will have to film a sequel.

Likely Hall of Fame guard Will Shields will be missed but Huard should have better weapons for a possession passing game. First-round pick Dwayne Bowe is a rugged receiver able to make tough catches over the middle, and the running backs will be asked to make more catches.

According to conventional wisdom, quarterback is the biggest question facing the Chiefs. By picking up where he left off, Huard could answer that in a heartbeat.

htismaqe
06-04-2007, 08:37 AM
Damon Huard WAITED 10 years for his shot.

:hmmm:

Most QB's WITH TALENT actually EARN their shot much sooner than TEN YEARS.

Reerun_KC
06-04-2007, 08:39 AM

Queue up Hootie and the Huard Love Fest in 3....2....1....

Chiefnj
06-04-2007, 08:56 AM
"Huard, who turns 34 next month, appears the favorite right now to be an opening-day starter for the first time in his career."

I hope Rand was smoking crack when he wrote that.

InChiefsHeaven
06-04-2007, 09:02 AM
"Huard, who turns 34 next month, appears the favorite right now to be an opening-day starter for the first time in his career."

My thoughts exactly...WTF is he basing THAT off of?? :spock:

Reerun_KC
06-04-2007, 09:02 AM

No freaking way! How in the Hell could Herm promise to get younger than start Huard on opening day?

Mr. Laz
06-04-2007, 09:03 AM
i thought Huard already had "this chance" once before in Miami.

jidar
06-04-2007, 09:09 AM
I don't know why you guys all think Croyle was god's gift to the Chiefs this weekend.

I guess when a guy throws a beautiful 40 yarder like Croyle did at mini-camp then we remember that, but we forget the handful of poor decisions and then off target throws he made there. You see what you want to see I suppose.

Huard was unspectacular also though so I don't know.

Chiefnj
06-04-2007, 09:12 AM
KC should trade Huard to Miami or Atlanta. He's a little younger and signed a very reasonable contract. He'd be worth a 4th round pick.

Reerun_KC
06-04-2007, 09:12 AM
I don't know why you guys all think Croyle was god's gift to the Chiefs this weekend.

I guess when a guy throws a beautiful 40 yarder like Croyle did at mini-camp then we remember that, but we forget the handful of poor decisions and then off target throws he made there. You see what you want to see I suppose.

Croyle has potential, growth and many years ahead of him.

Starting Huard is another wasted season with some washed up vet and in this case a washed up never has been... It is time to see if Croyle has what it takes to lead this team and grow as a QB for the long haul...

Good thing the rest of the AFC west teams dont want younger QBs to grow and build with....

jidar
06-04-2007, 09:15 AM
Starting Huard is another wasted season with some washed up vet and in this case a washed up never has been... It is time to see if Croyle has what it takes to lead this team and grow as a QB for the long haul...

actually yeah I agree with that, but based on what I saw at mini-camp I'm not terribly optimistic about the QB play we get this season. I think LJ might break his carries record if he doesn't break his back.

StcChief
06-04-2007, 09:16 AM
Rand didn't touch base with Herm....

Croyle's job to LOSE.

Reerun_KC
06-04-2007, 09:18 AM
actually yeah I agree with that, but based on what I saw at mini-camp I'm not terribly optimistic about the QB play we get this season. I think LJ might break his carries record if he doesn't break his back.

I cant argue with that. I wasnt in attendance, but forsure it is time to start developing a QB and moving forward...

Funny SD with 14-2 with a first year starter and the "Death Coach for QB's" Marty...

Why cant the Chiefs develop a QB? Carl hasnt once developed one in 18 years of sub par service...

htismaqe
06-04-2007, 09:26 AM

It's a June mini-camp.

Reerun_KC
06-04-2007, 09:31 AM
It's a June mini-camp.

B..b...but, It has everything to do with the playoff push in late Nov...

OnTheWarpath15
06-04-2007, 09:38 AM
It's a June mini-camp.

C'mon, Parker. You know some of these guys had their mind made up the minute Croyle was drafted.

And the few who "waited" to reserve judgment waited until he attempted 7 passes in the Steelers game........

:rolleyes:

Reerun_KC
06-04-2007, 09:38 AM
C'mon, Parker. you know some of these guys had their mind made up the minute Croyle was drafted.

And the few who "waited" to reserve judgment waited until he attempted 7 passes in the steelers game........

I cant wait to see him as the starter on opening day!

crazycoffey
06-04-2007, 09:44 AM
KC should trade Huard to Miami or Atlanta. He's a little younger and signed a very reasonable contract. He'd be worth a 4th round pick.

I concur

Skip Towne
06-04-2007, 09:44 AM
I cant argue with that. I wasnt in attendance, but forsure it is time to start developing a QB and moving forward...

Funny SD with 14-2 with a first year starter and the "Death Coach for QB's" Marty...

Why cant the Chiefs develop a QB? Carl hasnt once developed one in 18 years of sub par service...
REPOST

Reerun_KC
06-04-2007, 09:45 AM
I concur

Miami had him once, cut Huard because he sucked, what makes you think they want him back now?

crazycoffey
06-04-2007, 09:48 AM
Miami had him once, cut Huard because he sucked, what makes you think they want him back now?

I don't care, I just don't want him....

Reerun_KC
06-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Croyle would learn 10 times as much from Green than Huard, but Green is a liability to the coaching staff... His offensive knowledge is vastly superior to Herm and his Offensive staff...

RedThat
06-04-2007, 09:59 AM

I think that was just Rand speaking there.

But, I don't think it's a matter of him waiting, it's just a matter of who he played behind?

Marino, Bledsoe, Brady, Green. When you're playing behind those kinda QB's, you know those guys are your starters. So, his hands were kinda tied.

Wile_E_Coyote
06-04-2007, 10:00 AM
The Chiefs knew that the mini-camp session would be shown on the NFL Network. And they made Green the main man for the day. Miami should have liked what they saw

crazycoffey
06-04-2007, 10:02 AM
Croyle would learn 10 times as much from Green than Huard, but Green is a liability to the coaching staff... His offensive knowledge is vastly superior to Herm and his Offensive staff...

I prefer Green to Huard, but I think you are giving Green way too much credit, and not near enough to the coaching staff. You almost make it sound like Jackie Chan's trying to teach Bruce Lee something.

Before the Green/Miami thing, I really thought Huard would be the better option for trade bait, younger, coming off a pretty good season, etc. But we don't know the behind the scenes stuff, Herm and Green may not get along and that's a major contributor to the trade. Or they really wanted to give Green a chance to improve his situation, run a more complex offense with someone else, he just happen to choose Miami....

LOCOChief
06-04-2007, 10:04 AM

I've watched Croyle in the SEC and I'm very excited. I remember a few off target Haurd passes last year as well. Plus Haurd doesn't seem to have the fire to fight for the spot, and I know that Croyle is one tough SOB and he will take the starting spot from Haurd. I hope we see want we want to see.

htismaqe
06-04-2007, 10:10 AM
I think that was just Rand speaking there.

But, I don't think it's a matter of him waiting, it's just a matter of who he played behind?

Marino, Bledsoe, Brady, Green. When you're playing behind those kinda QB's, you know those guys are your starters. So, his hands were kinda tied.

There's a reason Huard played behind those guys.

He's a BACKUP.

If he had the ability to be a full-time starter in this league, he would have been one somewhere. At any given time, there's at least a dozen teams in the NFL looking for a starting QB.

LOCOChief
06-04-2007, 10:10 AM
. I hope we see want we want to see.[/QUOTE]

If we see what we don't want to see, then at least we know we're in KC. But even if we see two of what we don't want to see we can close one eye and that'll get us home.

the Talking Can
06-04-2007, 10:16 AM
Huard's waited a decade to be the back up to yet another QB?

cool

htismaqe
06-04-2007, 10:17 AM
Huard's waited a decade to be the back up to yet another QB?

cool

The way I see it, Huard's "trend" bodes well for Croyle.

Look at the list of names he's backed up!

:D

BigMeatballDave
06-04-2007, 10:22 AM

Huard was unspectacular also though so I don't know.Oh, gee. You are correct. Lets throw in the towel now. Croyle sucks. jidar is right, guys. Everyone go home.

No, lets not give a young QB a shot to develop LIKE EVERY OTHER TEAM IN THIS LEAGUE HAS TRIED TO DO...

RedThat
06-04-2007, 11:45 AM
There's a reason Huard played behind those guys.

He's a BACKUP.

If he had the ability to be a full-time starter in this league, he would have been one somewhere. At any given time, there's at least a dozen teams in the NFL looking for a starting QB.

Yeah, and those are some great QB's he played behind. No one would think of him as a starter because it's clear and safe to say at the time those guys were penciled in as starters. Heck one of them is in the Hall of Fame. We'll possibly see a couple of more go to the Hall as well.

I just think he was a bit of an understudy.

His situation could very similiar to Steve Young. And we all know he was a backup for years.

Thig Lyfe
06-04-2007, 12:04 PM
Somehow it would be hilarious if Huard started this season and played just as well and made it to the Pro Bowl. I would laugh.

Wile_E_Coyote
06-04-2007, 12:07 PM
Todd Collins must be the next Rich Gannon

Reerun_KC
06-04-2007, 12:08 PM
Somehow it would be hilarious if Huard started this season and played just as well and made it to the Pro Bowl. I would laugh.

I wouldnt, then we are just another year behind on developing a young QB that can give us more than 3 years.....

Huard aint no Rich Gannon....

boogblaster
06-04-2007, 12:26 PM
Huard is a quality back-up...there is a difference between starting and backing...starting is twice the O..If Huard plans to start he"ll have to cram alot of O this offseason...

htismaqe
06-04-2007, 12:29 PM
Yeah, and those are some great QB's he played behind. No one would think of him as a starter because it's clear and safe to say at the time those guys were penciled in as starters. Heck one of them is in the Hall of Fame. We'll possibly see a couple of more go to the Hall as well.

I just think he was a bit of an understudy.

His situation could very similiar to Steve Young. And we all know he was a backup for years.

Steve Young played the better part of his career before there were 32 teams and free agency.

This is a watered-down league when it comes to QB's, yet Damon Huard is a career backup.

It's not because he's never got the chance, it's because he's best-suited to be a backup.

crazycoffey
06-04-2007, 12:29 PM
The way I see it, Huard's "trend" bodes well for Croyle.

Look at the list of names he's backed up!

:D

SHHHHHH, you'll jinx it!

Redrum_69
06-04-2007, 12:30 PM
THe CHIEFS are hurting bad at QB.

Chiefs better stick with Green this year and play Brodie sparingly. Maybe put Huard as third string.

Phobia
06-04-2007, 12:35 PM
At any given time, there's at least a dozen teams in the NFL looking for a starting QB.

Which is why the Chiefs are furiously fielding phone calls and trade offers for Trent Green.

htismaqe
06-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Which is why the Chiefs are furiously fielding phone calls and trade offers for Trent Green.

At this particular point in time, Trent Green is 37-years old and coming off a severe injury.

Surely you can do better than that.

Phobia
06-04-2007, 01:03 PM
At this particular point in time, Trent Green is 37-years old and coming off a severe injury.

Surely you can do better than that.

I can. You offered "12 teams" seeking starting quarterbacks at any given time. The given time is now. Who are they? Are there even 6 of them?

Reerun_KC
06-04-2007, 02:18 PM
I can. You offered "12 teams" seeking starting quarterbacks at any given time. The given time is now. Who are they? Are there even 6 of them?

Thread killer!

http://www.7nights.com/presentations/webvisions_2004/killer.jpg

htismaqe
06-04-2007, 02:22 PM

OK, so you want to nitpick at my hyperbole. I get it.

We're talking about a span of OVER 10 YEARS.

How many teams have been looking at a QB in THAT span of time?

Raiderhater
06-04-2007, 05:02 PM
What a terrible article.