View Full Version : Jason King: Green goin’ south

booger
06-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Green goin’ south
Chiefs, Dolphins finally agree on terms of trade
By JASON KING
The Kansas City Star
Trent Green can finally breathe easy.

After a three-month span he recently described as “stressful” and “frustrating,” Green got what he’d been hoping for Tuesday when the Chiefs traded him to Miami for a fifth-round pick in the 2008 NFL draft.

“Trent is en route to Miami right now,” Green’s agent, Jim Steiner, said Tuesday evening. “He’s feeling a lot of relief. This has been very stressful on Trent and his family. We’re just glad that cooler heads prevailed.”

Tuesday’s trade ended a three-month standoff between the Chiefs and Dolphins, neither of which seemed willing to budge on their trade proposals involving Green.

Steiner said Miami was offering a sixth-round pick for Green. The Chiefs wanted a fourth-rounder.

The two sides compromised when Miami agreed to send a fifth-round pick to Kansas City for Green. The pick can be upgraded to a fourth-rounder if Green reaches certain playing time and performance criteria.

The deal is contingent on Green passing a physical today in Miami.

Green was unavailable for comment Tuesday. A team spokesman said Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson was traveling and unavailable for comment.

“Each team made some compromises to make it happen,” Steiner said. “The Chiefs realized Trent was firm in his position that he wasn’t going to retire. And Miami recognized the need for getting him into its minicamp this weekend so he can get off to a good start.”

Green is expected to become the starter in Miami, where Daunte Culpepper continues to be hampered from a knee injury suffered in 2005. The Dolphins are hopeful that Green can contribute two or three strong seasons while the organization develops former BYU standout John Beck, a second-round pick in this year’s draft.

The Chiefs’ starter since 2001, Green was twice selected to the Pro Bowl during his tenure in Kansas City. He entered last season as the eighth-highest rated passer in NFL history, but Green suffered a head injury in the 2006 season opener when he was hit by Cincinnati’s Robert Geathers. Green ended up starting only eight games.

The Chiefs approached Green after the season about restructuring his contact. At that time Green said it became clear that second-year coach Herm Edwards wanted to go with a younger quarterback in Brodie Croyle, whom the Chiefs had selected in the third round of the 2006 draft.

Instead of agreeing to take less money, Green told the Chiefs he wanted to seek a trade. He reached a contract agreement with the Dolphins, but officials from both teams were unable to work out a deal before Tuesday.

Green, meanwhile, began going through offseason workouts with the Chiefs last month, all the while expressing frustration that the trade wasn’t getting done. As recently as last week Green said he wouldn’t play for the Chiefs in 2007.

“I don’t know that we were ever worried,” Steiner said. “We were always steadfast that the trade was going to happen. But sometimes getting from point A to point B is a tough task.

“Trent is just glad it’s over. This has been going on for three months. Remember, it was the Chiefs that approached Trent and asked him to take a lesser role and a (pay) reduction to come back. They’re the ones that initiated this entire situation. That obviously wasn’t Trent’s desire initially.”

Asked whether Green’s tumultuous departure from Kansas City would taint his memories of his time here, Steiner said: “Like everything else, once time passes, it will all be fine.

“But there could’ve been a better exit strategy.”

greg63
06-05-2007, 11:05 PM
'bout time this mess got resolved.

kc rush
06-06-2007, 08:00 AM
I guess that Trent and his agent can't slam his new employer, but I'm tired of the Chiefs being painted as the only bad guys in this situation. There is plenty of blame to go around and much of it rests on Miami's and Trent's shoulders.

Fire Me Boy!
06-06-2007, 08:04 AM
I read (or heard) that Peterson said pony up the conditional fourth by (yesterday) or we're keeping him and he WILL be on the roster in 2007. Period.

Just something I heard. And Steiner said, "Each team made some compromises to make it happen."

InChiefsHeaven
06-06-2007, 08:10 AM
“Trent is just glad it’s over. This has been going on for three months. Remember, it was the Chiefs that approached Trent and asked him to take a lesser role and a (pay) reduction to come back. They’re the ones that initiated this entire situation. That obviously wasn’t Trent’s desire initially.”

Asked whether Green’s tumultuous departure from Kansas City would taint his memories of his time here, Steiner said: “Like everything else, once time passes, it will all be fine.

“But there could’ve been a better exit strategy.”

What...a...****ing...tool!! Yeah, a better exit strategy by you idiots! Shut up, you got your trade...I'm really glad this is over because I could see people starting to hate on Green...cuz his agent is a ****wad...

StcChief
06-06-2007, 09:28 AM
Thanks Carl and Thum for running the numbers a giving Wayne Hizinga and the Miami mgmt an ultimatum.

Hope Green plays well enough for a 4th. Would be decent since we gave Lambs #1

Reerun_KC
06-06-2007, 09:33 AM
Thanks Carl and Thum for running the numbers a giving Wayne Hizinga and the Miami mgmt an ultimatum.

Hope Green plays well enough for a 4th. Would be decent since we gave Lambs #1

True, since Trent gave us 6 years of #1 production....

A 4th would be a great return....