PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else catch Carl on Petro?

kc rush
06-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Carl was just on Petro’s show and confirmed that 70% of snaps taken is the condition for moving from a 5th to a 4th round pick.

Said that Trent’s agent really slowed the process down by making statements that Trent wouldn’t play for KC. He thinks Miami decided to wait the Chiefs out at that point.

Said that they weren’t going to offer Jarred a new contract until later (either late in the season or after) depending on how he conducts himself off the field this year. He said that he has reiterated to Jarred multiple times that he would be offered a long term deal if Jarred keeps his nose clean.

Said that he and LJ’s agent have been trading proposals and that they hope to get a deal done before the start of this season.

Those are the only pertinent points that I can remember. I’m sure they will have the interview posted online in a few hours.

Stewie
06-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Said that he and LJ’s agent have been trading proposals and that they hope to get a deal done before the start of this season.

I'm glad he wants to get this done early.

Chiefnj
06-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Sounds like Carl has made up his mind between LJ and Allen.

cmh6476
06-06-2007, 12:20 PM
the king!

htismaqe
06-06-2007, 12:20 PM
Sounds like Carl has made up his mind between LJ and Allen.

It's not an either/or situation.

Carl is doing the prudent thing with Allen.

keg in kc
06-06-2007, 12:21 PM
Sounds like Carl has made up his mind between LJ and Allen.Seemed like his plan is "both" judging by what I heard. I was only half-listening, however.

noa
06-06-2007, 12:21 PM
Man, that would be great if he could get the LJ deal done before the beginning of the season. If we could do that and find a 3rd CB somehow, that would be great end to a surprisingly good offseason from King Carl.

Splat420
06-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Thanks for posting the info good stuff I think Carl is doing the right thing pay LJ now and make Allen prove he can stay out of trouble.

htismaqe
06-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Seemed like his plan is "both" judging by what I heard.

Yep.

htismaqe
06-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Man, that would be great if he could get the LJ deal done before the beginning of the season. If we could do that and find a 3rd CB somehow, that would be great end to a surprisingly good offseason from King Carl.

We're not even looking for a 3rd QB.

ChiefsfaninPA
06-06-2007, 12:28 PM

I think he said CB.

noa
06-06-2007, 12:32 PM

Yeah, CB not QB is what I wrote. I hope were looking to get more depth at CB somehow. Its the one position we didn't really address this offseason.

greg63
06-06-2007, 12:33 PM

I agree; Jared needs to demonstrate the ability to clean up his act and keep it that way.

ChiefsCountry
06-06-2007, 12:34 PM
Chiefs should look at Kelly Herndon IMO for the nickelback spot.

crazycoffey
06-06-2007, 12:35 PM
Did he did alot of licking his paws and rubbing behind his ears?

htismaqe
06-06-2007, 12:36 PM
Yeah, CB not QB is what I wrote. I hope were looking to get more depth at CB somehow. Its the one position we didn't really address this offseason.

Oops. Typo on my part. I meant CB.

They're not looking for a 3rd CB. They evidently feel Sapp is the guy.

As far as it being the one position we didn't address - it wasn't really a pressing need the way the chips fell in the draft. We can get a sure-fire starter next year...

Chiefnj
06-06-2007, 12:36 PM

We'll agree to disagree. Allen is one strike away now, one month from now, 1 year from now or 2 years from now.

htismaqe
06-06-2007, 12:37 PM
We'll agree to disagree. Allen is one strike away now, one month from now, 1 year from now or 2 years from now.

Have you ever recovered from addiction?

greg63
06-06-2007, 12:43 PM

Enter Printers.

htismaqe
06-06-2007, 12:44 PM
Enter Printers.

Actually, I wasn't meaning to talk about QB but rather CB.

greg63
06-06-2007, 12:45 PM
Actually, I wasn't meaning to talk about QB but rather CB.

Yeah, I see that now. Sorry about that.

tyton75
06-06-2007, 12:48 PM
I also heard the interview.. Carl sounded like he was in a really pissy-ass mood though

htismaqe
06-06-2007, 12:50 PM

Have you ever recovered from an addiction?

ChiefsCountry
06-06-2007, 12:52 PM

Is it really an addiction for Allen or him just being a dumba$$?

the Talking Can
06-06-2007, 12:54 PM

but Whitlock said....

Mr. Laz
06-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Have you ever recovered from addiction?

a good portion of people don't

htismaqe
06-06-2007, 12:58 PM
a good portion of people don't

It's pretty obvious many people here haven't.

htismaqe
06-06-2007, 12:59 PM

According to Allen, he had a problem.

greg63
06-06-2007, 01:03 PM

I'm sure it was a problem although the second probably applies as well.

JimNasium
06-06-2007, 01:03 PM
We've had so many big salaries go off the books in the last two years that I don't see why we couldn't afford both players. Is it smart to sign an aging RB and a drunken DE? That's the philosophical question that Carl has to answer.

Mr. Laz
06-06-2007, 01:08 PM
It's pretty obvious many people here haven't.
no ... you misunderstand me

a good portion of people with addictions don't ever recover from it.

so if your suggesting that Allen is an alcoholic, then it would probably be a good idea to trade him. Chances are that he won't ever really beat it. It's going to be a problem for the rest of his life and will more than likely cause additional suspensions from the NFL.

Mr. Laz
06-06-2007, 01:10 PM
We've had so many big salaries go off the books in the last two years that I don't see why we couldn't afford both players. Is it smart to sign an aging RB and a drunken DE? That's the philosophical question that Carl has to answer.
we can afford both ...... the chiefs can afford anyone they really want.

the question is:

what is the best decision for the team?

vrs

what is the best decision for the business?

htismaqe
06-06-2007, 01:11 PM
no ... you misunderstand me

a good portion of people with addictions don't ever recover from it.

so if your suggesting that Allen is an alcoholic, then it would probably be a good idea to trade him. Chances are that he won't ever really beat it. It's going to be a problem for the rest of his life and will more than likely cause additional suspensions from the NFL.

It is true that a portion of addicts never fully recover. I personally would trade Allen, but that's just me.

It also happens to be true that it becomes increasingly easier to stay on the wagon the longer you're on the wagon. The first year is by far the hardest.

Which is why it makes sense, if the Chiefs are intent on signing Allen to a long-term deal instead of trading him, to wait a year to do it.

JimNasium
06-06-2007, 01:12 PM

the question is:

vrs

Isn't that what I just said?

htismaqe
06-06-2007, 01:15 PM

the question is:

vrs

Actually, in the cases of LJ and Allen, it's not a "versus" situation at all.

htismaqe
06-06-2007, 01:16 PM

I think he's trying to insinuate that the cap/cash effect somehow opposes what might be best for the team.

In this case, I don't at all think that applies.

JimNasium
06-06-2007, 01:18 PM
I think he's trying to insinuate that the cap/cash effect somehow opposes what might be best for the team.

In this case, I don't at all think that applies.
Okay, I see what his angle is now. I agree with you though that it doesn't really apply here.

htismaqe
06-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Now that I think about it, he might have a point with LJ.

It might be in the best interest of the team to give him the ball as much as humanly possible and watch him burn up in 2 or 3 years.

That would definitely not be in the interest of the business.

Chiefnj
06-06-2007, 01:21 PM

Whatever safeguard Carl is going to place in the contract in November, December, January, etc., would be the same one he could place in it right now.

Even if Allen is a boyscout don't you think Carl is going to insist on some clauses that protect the team?

htismaqe
06-06-2007, 01:22 PM
Whatever safeguard Carl is going to place in the contract in November, December, January, etc., would be the same one he could place in it right now.

Even if Allen is a boyscout don't you think Carl is going to insist on some clauses that protect the team?

Allen and his agent have already indicated that his drinking is in the past and shouldn't have an affect on future negotiations.

So what good does it do for Carl to insist on provisions that Allen won't accept?

htismaqe
06-06-2007, 01:25 PM
Furthermore, even though the provisions may be the same now as they would be this time next year, the chance of Jared violating those provisions go down greatly over time.

It doesn't make any sense to set him up for instantaneous failure.

ChiefsCountry
06-06-2007, 01:26 PM
Best part of the interview was Carl bashing Keitzman.

OnTheWarpath15
06-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Best part of the interview was Carl bashing Keitzman.

Really? Good for him.

Care to elaborate for those who didn't hear it?

ChiefsCountry
06-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Really? Good for him.

Care to elaborate for those who didn't hear it?

Petro said something about not being able to go to Herm's press conferences bc they are during his show. And Carl said that they should switch you to afternoon slot bc you get better ratings than the other show.

Mr. Laz
06-06-2007, 01:33 PM
i was agreeing with you

keg in kc
06-06-2007, 01:34 PM

Even if Allen is a boyscout don't you think Carl is going to insist on some clauses that protect the team?You don't hand a suspended player a new contract. That sends a bad message to everyone, basically telling tell your fans, players and the league that you don't care about what he did. Terrible precedent to set.

Chalk it up as part of the price Allen has to pay for his mistakes.

JimNasium
06-06-2007, 01:36 PM
i was agreeing with you
:toast:

Mr. Laz
06-06-2007, 01:38 PM
the chance of Jared violating those provisions go down greatly over time.
and how do you figure that?

definitely need to follow that my "in my opinion of which i'm just pulling out of my ass"

i'm not a recovery alcoholic .... but from what i understand. The chance of a relapse holds pretty steady after the initial drying out period.

OnTheWarpath15
06-06-2007, 01:38 PM
Petro said something about not being able to go to Herm's press conferences bc they are during his show. And Carl said that they should switch you to afternoon slot bc you get better ratings than the other show.

Nice.

Even though if he'd just let it all out and said KK is a douchnozzle, he'd probably earn some new fans......

TRR
06-06-2007, 01:40 PM
You don't hand a suspended player a new contract. That sends a bad message to everyone, basically telling tell your fans, players and the league that you don't care about what he did. Terrible precedent to set.

I agree with you. If Allen wants to be payed like a top 5 DE, than he needs to start acting like it off the field. You don't see Strahan or Jason Taylor getting DUI's. It's going to take time for Allen to earn trust. I wouldn't give him a new contract until he keeps his nose clean for the entire season.

htismaqe
06-06-2007, 01:40 PM
and how do you figure that?

definitely need to follow that my "in my opinion of which i'm just pulling out of my ass"

i'm not a recovery alcoholic .... but from what i understand. The chance of a relapse holds pretty steady after the initial drying out period.

I'm a recovering addict.

First-hand experience.

shaneo69
06-06-2007, 01:51 PM
I'm sure Carl wants to wait on giving Jared a new contract until the end of this season so that he can point at his 2007 stats (which will no doubt be worse due to the 4-game suspension) and use that as negotiating leverage.

kc rush
06-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Nice.

Even though if he'd just let it all out and said KK is a douchnozzle, he'd probably earn some new fans......

It was pretty apparent where he was going with it. I got a chuckle.

I haven't been listening this afternoon, but I'm sure the comment activated KK's time of the month.

Chiefnj
06-06-2007, 01:58 PM
You don't hand a suspended player a new contract. That sends a bad message to everyone, basically telling tell your fans, players and the league that you don't care about what he did. Terrible precedent to set.

Kind of like welcoming back a multi-suspended player that retired and then un-retired?

keg in kc
06-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Kind of like welcoming back a multi-suspended player that retired and then un-retired?That might merit a well-thought-out response if it actually had any bearing whatsoever on this situation.

htismaqe
06-06-2007, 03:05 PM
I'm sure Carl wants to wait on giving Jared a new contract until the end of this season so that he can point at his 2007 stats (which will no doubt be worse due to the 4-game suspension) and use that as negotiating leverage.

And Jared will counter with "per game" stats, no doubt.

You act as if Carl would be doing something wrong by doing that.

htismaqe
06-06-2007, 03:05 PM
Kind of like welcoming back a multi-suspended player that retired and then un-retired?

When was that player involved in multi-million dollar contract dicussions? I must have missed that one.

GoHuge
06-06-2007, 03:07 PM
I agree; Jared needs to demonstrate the ability to clean up his act and keep it that way.
:toast:

Mr. Laz
06-06-2007, 03:11 PM
I'm a recovering addict.

First-hand experience.

so you're saying that staying clean actually gets easier?

so a guy 2 years clean is more likely to have a relapse than a guy 5 years clean?

not from everything i've heard ..... as soon as an addict thinks they have it beaten they fall right back into their destructive behavior.

htismaqe
06-06-2007, 03:15 PM
so you're saying that staying clean actually gets easier?

so a guy 2 years clean is more likely to have a relapse than a guy 5 years clean?

not from everything i've heard ..... as soon as an addict thinks they have it beaten they fall right back into their destructive behavior.

Yep. 8 years clean. Gets easier every day that goes by.

GoHuge
06-06-2007, 03:17 PM
It was pretty apparent where he was going with it. I got a chuckle.

I haven't been listening this afternoon, but I'm sure the comment activated KK's time of the month.Yeah he did his whole monologue on it and then took call after call about it.

Carl is MEAN and great for business. KK says he makes his job easy. Just let Carl start talking and KK start :deevee: and you have a show for the day!

Buehler445
06-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Yep. 8 years clean. Gets easier every day that goes by.

Congrats my man.

kc rush
06-06-2007, 03:48 PM
Yeah he did his whole monologue on it and then took call after call about it.

Carl is MEAN and great for business. KK says he makes his job easy. Just let Carl start talking and KK start :deevee: and you have a show for the day!

Too bad it makes for annoying radio. It might have been interesting if KK hadn't been bitching and whining about Carl for years.

The little four-square pissing match between KK, Jack Harry, Whitlock and Carl has gotten old.

Dr. Van Halen
06-06-2007, 04:05 PM
Why, oh, why can't Petro have the afternoon slot?

It was ironic listening to KK complain that Peterson's time had passed and that he needed to turn his job over to someone else more capable.

Messier
06-06-2007, 04:55 PM
Was KK taking calls from people that agreed with him? Because today it seems they would have to scrape the bottom of the barrel to find Carl bashers.

rad
06-06-2007, 06:36 PM
I wonder how much under the cap we are with Green now gone?

Like 'Nasium said, we can afford both, and it's a good idea to wait with Allen, being that he's 1 strike away and all.