PDA

View Full Version : So, how many 2008 draft picks do we have now?

Kylo Ren
06-06-2007, 10:01 PM
I assume we have all of our 7 picks in 2008? Have we traded any away? I don't recall. We've gained a 5th for Dante Hall and probably a 4th for Trent. Have we gained any other picks that I'm forgetting? I think there's still a chance that we may trade one or two more players. I think we'll have 10 or more picks in '08. I like it!

DaFace
06-06-2007, 10:06 PM
We got something for Sims. Probably a 6th or 7th, though I don't remember if we ever heard exactly what it was.

Mr. Kotter
06-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Conditional 7th for Tynes....

OnTheWarpath15
06-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Don't forget the conditional for Tynes......

We're sitting on 11 picks I think.....

BigRock
06-06-2007, 10:09 PM
The pick for Dante was for the '07 draft. We used it on Kolby Smith.

The Franchise
We had a 5th for Hall in this last draft. We have nothing for him in 2008.

Kylo Ren
We got something for Sims. Probably a 6th or 7th, though I don't remember if we ever heard exactly what it was. Right! I forgot about that. I think it was a 6th. Does anyone remember what it was for sure?

DaFace
Right! I forgot about that. I think it was a 6th.

According to the official releases, it was an "undisclosed future draft pick." Whatever that means.

Kylo Ren
06-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Conditional 7th for Tynes.... So, was that a 7th that could turn into a higher pick? Or, was it nothing that could turn into a 7th?

Kylo Ren
06-06-2007, 10:12 PM
We had a 5th for Hall in this last draft. We have nothing for him in 2008. Got it. Thanks for the update.

Mr. Kotter
06-06-2007, 10:12 PM
So, was that a 7th that could turn into a higher pick? Or, was it nothing that could turn into a 7th?

IIRC, I think he has to make the team.

Mr. Laz
06-06-2007, 10:13 PM
So, was that a 7th that could turn into a higher pick? Or, was it nothing that could turn into a 7th?
when they say conditional and say the round i believe that's always the starting point for the pick

conditional 7th ..... starts at 7 and moves up
conditional 5th .... starts at 5 and moves up

Kylo Ren
06-06-2007, 10:16 PM
So, our picks look something like this:
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
4th - Trent
5th
6th
6th? - Sims
7th
7th - Tynes

That's 10 total. I predict (obviously, just t total freakin guess) that we trade 2 more players before the '08 draft and trade 1 pick for a player. So, we'll have a total of 11 picks. Herm likes having lots of picks. If his future drafts can be as successful as last year's draft, this youth movement could really turn out well.

Hammock Parties
06-06-2007, 10:17 PM
We have ten picks right now. Pretty sweet. Might get a pick for Wesley and maybe a conditional pick or two.

Mr. Laz
06-06-2007, 10:18 PM
the Trent pick is a conditional 5th that MIGHT become a 4th

Direckshun
06-06-2007, 10:18 PM
I thought Tynes was traded for "future considerations"?

Can somebody set me straight?

Kylo Ren
06-06-2007, 10:20 PM
the Trent pick is a conditional 5th that MIGHT become a 4th Correct. But, I think it's pretty certain that he'll be their starter and we'll get a 4th.

Hammock Parties
06-06-2007, 10:21 PM
I thought Tynes was traded for "future considerations"?

Can somebody set me straight?

Conditional 7th. Becomes a 6th if he meets certain requirements. Probably number of FGs.

Kylo Ren
06-06-2007, 10:21 PM
IIRC, I think he has to make the team. OK. I doubt that'll be a problem.

Kylo Ren
06-06-2007, 10:22 PM
We have ten picks right now. Pretty sweet. Might get a pick for Wesley and maybe a conditional pick or two. I wonder what Wesley is worth? Why would we get conditional picks?

Hammock Parties
06-06-2007, 10:24 PM
I wonder what Wesley is worth? Why would we get conditional picks?

It's been proposed by some people that we might get conditional picks for Kawika and Jordan Black.

Mr. Kotter
06-06-2007, 10:26 PM
It's been proposed by some people that we might get conditional picks for Kawika and Jordan Black.

We'll get at least one for Mitchell, is my guess.

Kylo Ren
06-06-2007, 10:27 PM
It's been proposed by some people that we might get conditional picks for Kawika and Jordan Black. Hmmmmm? So, Jordan Black would finally be worth something! I guess Wesley probably wouldn't be worth more than a 6th. That would be my guess.

milkman
06-06-2007, 10:36 PM

Wouldn't that be compensatory?

And since we signed McIntosh, he would almost certainly cancel out any compensatory for Black.

Nap Harris would also do the same for Mitchell.

Hammock Parties
06-06-2007, 10:37 PM

And since we signed McIntosh, he would almost certainly cancel out any compensatory for Black.

Nap Harris would so the same for Mitchell.

Yes, I meant compensatory.

Mr. Kotter
06-06-2007, 10:37 PM

Nap Harris would also do the same for Mitchell.

Doesn't it depend on whether or not they were "restricted" free agents or not too? :hmmm:

BigRock
06-06-2007, 10:45 PM
Doesn't it depend on whether or not they were "restricted" free agents or not too? :hmmm:
I'm pretty sure it depends on whether or not you re-sign FAs to replace the ones you lost. The position doesn't matter, just the total... if you lose more players in FA than you gained, you get compensatory picks. Then they use some formula to determine the round of the compensatory pick based on the new contract the FAs you lost signed with their new teams.

I doubt we'll get any compensatory picks. We signed Harris, McIntosh, Boone, McGraw... I don't think we lost 5 or more FAs to other teams, did we?

Mr. Kotter
06-06-2007, 10:48 PM
I'm pretty sure it depends on whether or not you re-sign FAs to replace the ones you lost. The position doesn't matter, just the total... if you lose more players in FA than you gained, you get compensatory picks. Then they use some formula to determine the round of the compensatory pick based on the new contract the FAs you lost signed with their new teams.

I doubt we'll get any compensatory picks. We signed Harris, McIntosh, Boone, McGraw... I don't think we lost 5 or more FAs to other teams, did we?

Now that I think about it, that sounds right. Thanks! :thumb:

Direckshun
06-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Conditional 7th. Becomes a 6th if he meets certain requirements. Probably number of FGs.
Same deal we got for Sims?

milkman
06-06-2007, 10:50 PM

Black, Jordan, and Hicks.

Anyone else?

Hell, we're lucky we don't lose picks for that garbage.

unothadeal
06-06-2007, 10:52 PM
Black, Jordan, and Hicks.

Anyone else?

Hell, we're lucky we don't lose picks for that garbage.
James Reed and Lenny Walls

unothadeal
06-06-2007, 10:53 PM
James Reed and Lenny Walls
Sorry, Lenny Walls and Kris Griffin. Were the FA?

Direckshun
06-06-2007, 10:53 PM
We still have James Reed.

Direckshun
06-06-2007, 10:54 PM
Sorry, Lenny Walls and Kris Griffin. Were the FA?
Yup.

We also lost Sammy Knight, but we signed some guy today along with Jon McGraw.

EDIT: We also lost Will Shields and Willie Roaf to retirement this offseason (are we compensated for that?), and we're likely going to cut Holmes.

milkman
06-06-2007, 10:57 PM
Yup.

Sammy Knight was released from his contract.

I don't believe that that compensatory picks are awarded for players that enter free agency via cuts.

milkman
06-06-2007, 10:59 PM
Yup.

EDIT: We also lost Will Shields and Willie Roaf to retirement this offseason (are we compensated for that?), and we're likely going to cut Holmes.

There isn't any compesation for players retired, or even players that die.

Direckshun
06-06-2007, 10:59 PM
I clearly don't understand this so I've decided the easiest route is to no longer care.

BigRock
06-06-2007, 11:13 PM
I don't believe that that compensatory picks are awarded for players that enter free agency via cuts.
Yeah, that eliminates Hicks, too. And probably Kris Griffin since the Browns got him off waivers, which means we were likely letting him go.

According to ESPN.com, it looks like we lost 5 people to FA... Kawika, Black, Walls, Dee Brown, and Kendall Gammon. But Brown and Gammon haven't signed anywhere, so it's just those first 3.

And we gained McIntosh, Harris, Donnie, that long snapper, Boone, Jon McGraw, and the S we signed today. That's 7 FA additions, so there's no shot at a compensatory pick.

Direckshun
06-06-2007, 11:30 PM
Since when did we "lose" Brown?

Has there been anything official announced, like what happened with Kendall? Or are you just assuming we lost him because we haven't resigned the dude yet.

BigRock
06-06-2007, 11:41 PM
Since when did we "lose" Brown?

Has there been anything official announced, like what happened with Kendall? Or are you just assuming we lost him because we haven't resigned the dude yet.
He's been a free agent since March 2nd, so he's in the "loss" category unless they re-sign him. And if they were going to, they probably would have gotten him in before OTAs and minicamp and all that. Plus, we just drafted an RB.

I think it's probably safe to consider him gone.

Direckshun
06-06-2007, 11:43 PM
Reasonable.

Mr. Kotter
06-06-2007, 11:55 PM
He's been a free agent since March 2nd, so he's in the "loss" category unless they re-sign him. And if they were going to, they probably would have gotten him in before OTAs and minicamp and all that. Plus, we just drafted an RB.

I think it's probably safe to consider him gone.

With Ross and Smith...yeah. That's a good bet.

CupidStunt
06-07-2007, 11:00 AM
We won't get jack in compensatory. It's based on what you lost, what you gained and how much the players you lost are earning.

Chiefnj
06-07-2007, 11:24 AM
I wonder if there was a way in which KC could have redone Green's contract to make him a free agent? It's possible KC could have gotten a higher compensatory pick for him than the conditional 5th; plus less of a PR hit.

htismaqe
06-07-2007, 11:32 AM
I wonder if there was a way in which KC could have redone Green's contract to make him a free agent? It's possible KC could have gotten a higher compensatory pick for him than the conditional 5th; plus less of a PR hit.

Green would have had to agree to it for one thing.

CupidStunt
06-07-2007, 11:34 AM

2 things. (1) He'd still have to sign a decent contract elsewhere to be worth anything in comepensatory value, and even if he does, (2) we've signed a few players to a lot of dollars and if we greatly exceed the value we lose we don't receive any presents.

CoMoChief
06-07-2007, 12:21 PM
1 - OL
2 - CB
3 - CB
4 - S
4 - OL
5 - bpa
6 - bpa
6 - bpa
7 - bpa
7 - bpa

This will change once more mock drafts come out.

Buehler445
06-07-2007, 12:26 PM
1 - OL
2 - CB
3 - CB
4 - S
4 - OL
5 - bpa
6 - bpa
6 - bpa
7 - bpa
7 - bpa

Please excuse my ignorance. What does BPA mean?

bsp4444
06-07-2007, 12:45 PM
1 - OL
2 - CB
3 - CB
4 - S
4 - OL
5 - bpa
6 - bpa
6 - bpa
7 - bpa
7 - bpa

I reviewed the draft value chart and we could trade one of our 4th rounders, a 5th, and 6th pick for an additional 3rd (albeit a really low one, but we could trade two fifths or some sort of package to get where we want). Then we still have picks in every round with an additional third rounder where some quality can be had.

milkman
06-07-2007, 08:06 PM
Please excuse my ignorance. What does BPA mean?

Best player available.

ChiefsCountry
06-07-2007, 08:08 PM
1 - OL
2 - CB
3 - CB
4 - S
4 - OL
5 - bpa
6 - bpa
6 - bpa
7 - bpa
7 - bpa

For the most part good but why safety in the 4th? I think LB or RB would be a bigger concern.

Buehler445
06-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Best player available.

Thanks Milkman.

Direckshun
06-09-2007, 09:21 AM
I hope we draft the shit out of the available OL options.

After that, our secondary will need to be retooled and our WR corps could use some work.

milkman
06-09-2007, 09:40 AM
I hope we draft the shit out of the available OL options.

After that, our secondary will need to be retooled and our WR corps could use some work.

Not sure, but I think the next draft is pretty deep at OL.

I'd love to get a shot at Sam Baker.

I expect, however, we'll probably be drafting in the 15 to 20 range again.

CosmicPal
06-09-2007, 10:04 AM
1 - OL
2 - CB
3 - CB
4 - S
4 - OL
5 - bpa
6 - bpa
6 - bpa
7 - bpa
7 - bpa

That could change with the performance of Croyle. Huard isn't exactly young, and if Croyle doesn't pan out- you can expect the Chiefs to be drafting a QB very early again. I expect them to draft a QB anyhow.

If Croyle looks to be promising, expect the Chiefs to draft a mid-round QB for future insurance.

If Croyle fails to show any promise, expect the Chiefs to draft a QB in the first couple of rounds.

CoMoChief
06-09-2007, 10:25 AM
For the most part good but why safety in the 4th? I think LB or RB would be a bigger concern.

Who do we have at safety if Pollard or Page go down? Considering Wesley is traded to somewhere else.

Direckshun
06-09-2007, 03:12 PM
Who do we have at safety if Pollard or Page go down? Considering Wesley is traded to somewhere else.
John McGraw, former second round draft pick of Herm's when he was at the Jets, and Chad Williams, a veteran FA out of San Fran.