PDA

View Full Version : I'll be writing again this year.

Phobia
06-06-2007, 11:19 PM
I'm writing for a local fishwrap covering the Chiefs again this year. I'll be spamming my crap on ChiefsPlanet again. It's a small newspaper and I have no expectations of any sort.

I'm also doing a BBQ column and a home improvement section.

Should be fun.

greg63
06-06-2007, 11:21 PM
I'm writing for a local fishwrap covering the Chiefs again this year. I'll be spamming my crap on ChiefsPlanet again. It's a small newspaper and I have no expectations of any sort.

Should be fun.

Outstanding! ..Look forward to reading your stuff! :)

Direckshun
06-06-2007, 11:21 PM
You guys should do a Chiefs madlib.

"LJ sneezed over the pile!? HAHAHHAHA."

Hammock Parties
06-06-2007, 11:23 PM
Will they pay you $500?

06-06-2007, 11:23 PM

Should be fun.
Cool, you should have much more room to type there.

Oh, are they paying you more than $500?

Direckshun
06-06-2007, 11:24 PM
hahahahaha

Bowser
06-06-2007, 11:25 PM

Should be fun.

All in the same column?

greg63
06-06-2007, 11:26 PM
Will they pay you $500?

A question so pertinent it needed to be asked twice!

DaneMcCloud
06-06-2007, 11:28 PM
Nice! I'm looking forward to the BBQ & Home Improvement articles. I'm sure your Chiefs stories will be informative and well written, but it's always nice to read about BBQ recipes and techniques. Home improvement tips are always greatly appreciated.

Good luck!

Thig Lyfe
06-06-2007, 11:28 PM
I bet it turns out this "fishwrap" is the Kansas City Star. You're so modest, Phob.

Phobia
06-06-2007, 11:29 PM

I'll be accepting advertisement. Since it's a local paper, hopefully it will reduce my $400 a month fuel expenditures from me driving to Olathe and OP for projects.

I may also parlay the BBQ thing into a PT catering gig in the future. I'm undecided on whether I want to pursue that venture further.

Phobia
06-06-2007, 11:30 PM
I bet it turns out this "fishwrap" is the Kansas City Star. You're so modest, Phob.

It's not. It has a circulation of 9,000, but that's still 9x more readers than the last gig I had.

06-06-2007, 11:30 PM
A question so pertinent it needed to be asked twice!
Read them again, two different questions.

06-06-2007, 11:31 PM
I'll be accepting advertisement. Since it's a local paper, hopefully it will reduce my $400 a month fuel expenditures from me driving to Olathe and OP for projects.

I may also parlay the BBQ thing into a PT catering gig in the future. I'm undecided on whether I want to pursue that venture further.
Based on the BBQ I had at your party last April I suggest going for it.

greg63
06-06-2007, 11:32 PM
Read them again, two different questions.

True, but pertaining to the same topic. ...My apologies. :)

Phobia
06-06-2007, 11:33 PM
FWIW, the $500 joke is no longer accurate. As of Wednesday, it is now $600.

06-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Inflation. Gotcha

Phobia
06-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Based on the BBQ I had at your party last April I suggest going for it.

I just had somebody from the Planet ask me about catering a tailgate event at Arrowhead next season. Since I catered an event for him Thanksgiving last year and he's coming back for more, I musta done good. Heh.

Phobia
06-06-2007, 11:35 PM
Inflation. Gotcha

Nah, got paid more money for last year.

ClevelandBronco
06-06-2007, 11:35 PM

Should be fun.

I'm looking forward to reading your stuff. I like your style.

greg63
06-06-2007, 11:37 PM

Hey; cost of living raise! :)

Phobia
06-06-2007, 11:38 PM
I'm looking forward to reading your stuff. I like your style.

I like reading others that share my style, so why not embrace the whole "informal, amature (or immature) schtick"?

RJ
06-06-2007, 11:43 PM
Phil, that's very cool. How did you get involved with that paper?

Phobia
06-06-2007, 11:46 PM
Phil, that's very cool. How did you get involved with that paper?

I want to be active in my community. I figured that by writing for the local rag I'd get to know people and they would get to know me. Plus it's fun. I called up the editor this afternoon and pitched myself. The editor asked for some samples so I sent the Warpaint stuff. Arrived home tonight to an email with a "Yes".

I'm doing a home improvement piece for the next issue that deals with the Masonite siding class action lawsuit. I'd venture to say 75% of our community is affected and less than half of them have filed claims, so hopefully it will be welcomed and put money into homeowner's pockets.

Fat Elvis
06-06-2007, 11:47 PM
It's not. It has a circulation of 9,000, but that's still 9x more readers than the last gig I had.

1000 people actually pay for WPI?

Phobia
06-06-2007, 11:48 PM
1000 people actually pay for WPI?

For the magazine, yes. The premium subscriptions were around 400 when I left.

DenverChief
06-06-2007, 11:53 PM
I'm doing a home improvement piece for the next issue that deals with the Masonite siding class action lawsuit. I'd venture to say 75% of our community is affected and less than half of them have filed claims, so hopefully it will be welcomed and put money into homeowner's pockets.

Spare me the "google it" response but what?

Phobia
06-06-2007, 11:59 PM
Spare me the "google it" response but what?

For many years, builders put cheap, garbage siding on homes nationwide. It was sold and branded under the Masonite name. Despite known problems; "rot, buckle, discolor, deteriorate, and cause damage to other structural parts of the buildings into which it is incorporated", Masonite settled a class action lawsuit against them but continued to manufacture and sell the sub-par product. The class-action expires this coming January and only a small percentage of the affected population have actually participated in the claim.

Logical
06-07-2007, 12:01 AM

Should be fun.
Do you think you will get your (dammit I really need to read the f*cking thread) this time.:p

Actually good news I enjoy the perspectives you take.

DenverChief
06-07-2007, 12:06 AM
For many years, builders put cheap, garbage siding on homes nationwide. It was sold and branded under the Masonite name. Despite known problems; "rot, buckle, discolor, deteriorate, and cause damage to other structural parts of the buildings into which it is incorporated", Masonite settled a class action lawsuit against them but continued to manufacture and sell the sub-par product. The class-action expires this coming January and only a small percentage of the affected population have actually participated in the claim.

Thank you...interesting....how would one find out what kind of siding they have on their home?

Phobia
06-07-2007, 12:12 AM
Thank you...interesting....how would one find out what kind of siding they have on their home?
One can attempt the red-tape of the suit themselves, which requires you to send a sample to determine if your siding is a part of the lawsuit. However, that process is rather arduous, time consuming, and confusing (by design, I suspect) so many claims assistance companies have sprouted up all around the country. You can contact them and they'll come out to verify for you. If you use them, they'll take a hefty portion of your money - I think I agreed to give them 30 or 35%.

Phobia
06-07-2007, 12:15 AM
http://www.homeclaimservices.com/faq/default.asp#cost

This has a lot of good info.

KurtCobain
06-07-2007, 12:32 AM
If you think I'm sexy reply with "PHOBIA IS A GOOD WRITER"

If you think I suck ass, reply with "BOO PHOBIA"

luv
06-07-2007, 12:37 AM
You need a poetry corner.

big nasty kcnut
06-07-2007, 01:55 AM
So phil are you going to get more then 600 a month this time and will you slam nick alton every chance you get.

06-07-2007, 05:02 AM

Should be fun.
Who are you again?

NewChief
06-07-2007, 05:15 AM
Does the paper have a website or online edition?

Mile High Mania
06-07-2007, 05:22 AM
Good deal - sounds fun, you know if you ever get the urge to write an article on fantasy football (or even a pure humor piece that is somewhat related to football)... well, I may know of a site that would work with ya.

trndobrd
06-07-2007, 07:34 AM
If you can score press credentials let us know so we can feed you some questions. Oh, and give Rhonda Moss a big, wet kiss for me.

Fire Me Boy!
06-07-2007, 08:13 AM
Post the BBQ stuff too!

tomahawk kid
06-07-2007, 08:14 AM
If you can score press credentials let us know so we can feed you some questions. Oh, and give Rhonda Moss a big, wet kiss for me.

Be sure that she shaves first.

Luzap
06-07-2007, 08:21 AM
Look forward to reading it.

Luz
have fun...

crazycoffey
06-07-2007, 09:02 AM
congrats, I look forward to giving you harsh criticism.

Phobia
06-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Does the paper have a website or online edition?
It does. I'm not giving the link until I actually publish something because it kinda pinpoints the area in which I live to a 4-town area. Given past results, we're more protective of our personal information.

Sure-Oz
06-07-2007, 10:21 AM
congrats

Phobia
06-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Good deal - sounds fun, you know if you ever get the urge to write an article on fantasy football (or even a pure humor piece that is somewhat related to football)... well, I may know of a site that would work with ya.

I don't see that happening. I opted out of all fantasy football activity last year. Didn't miss it a bit. In fact, it reduced my frustration quite a bit.

ROYC75
06-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Great ..... Your first story can be " What do you call this ? "

Seriously, props on the new gig, hope it pays you more than $ 500.00, something like $ 500.01 at least.

Phobia
06-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Roy are you still mad that I called you on your "dumbest thread ever" thread from a few days back? I'm over that thread. I've blocked it from my memory. Hopefully everybody else has too.

StcChief
06-07-2007, 10:51 AM
Interesting to see another Planeteer writing for real on Chiefs.
Well GoChiefs .... I guess some of his stuff is getting better.....

The BBQ tips, Home remodeling will be good for you.

Remodelling stuff may get you works as well......

Best of luck in this hopefully it will work out better than WarPaint

bogie
06-07-2007, 10:51 AM
Just make sure GoChiefs edits your stuff and you'll be fine. I am impressed you're trying to get involved with your community. If more people would do that, our communities would be better places to live.

Ceej
06-07-2007, 11:21 AM
You mentioned it was going to be an article for a smaller paper..any chance it'll be online to view and read also?

Phobia
06-07-2007, 11:31 AM
You mentioned it was going to be an article for a smaller paper..any chance it'll be online to view and read also?

Yeah, it will be.

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-07-2007, 11:32 AM

Should be fun.
and we care because...?

:)

Ceej
06-07-2007, 11:36 AM
Yeah, it will be.

Very g00t.

I suppose I should have read through the whole thread instead of asking again. My bad.

Phobia
06-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Very g00t.

I suppose I should have read through the whole thread instead of asking again. My bad.

Ain't no big deal. Who wants to read this whole thread besides me?

bogie
06-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Ain't no big deal. Who wants to read this whole thread besides me?

I'm quite sure you would be pleasantly surprised how many people care about you getting back into writing. You're an entertaining, intelligent and beloved CP brother.

BigRedChief
06-07-2007, 12:55 PM
I'm quite sure you would be pleasantly surprised how many people care about you getting back into writing. You're an entertaining, intelligent and beloved CP brother.
http://www.forumspile.com/Gay-Alarm.jpg
We need a cleansing testerone inflaming pic quick!

http://www.cellphonestalk.com/freewallpapers/bikini-babe.jpg

ROYC75
06-07-2007, 01:19 PM
Roy are you still mad that I called you on your "dumbest thread ever" thread from a few days back? I'm over that thread. I've blocked it from my memory. Hopefully everybody else has too.

Hardly, FTR, I wasn't mad. I don't let silly internet crap bother me like that, you of all people here should know this. Just slinging some shit around...... :p

Sorry for the long delay, been busy today here, bout time, I need the funds

Phobia
06-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Sling away Roy. You owe me far more shit than I owe you. :D