PDA

View Full Version : Crappy day.

Fire Me Boy!
06-10-2007, 12:21 PM
I was gonna smoke some ribs today, but I'm afraid it'll be raining soon. And I've read it's not good on the smoker to heat it up in the rain.

So... I'm doing my damn ribs in the oven. Shitty, shitty.

Fire Me Boy!
06-10-2007, 12:21 PM
Was going to use my new apple wood.

Phobia
06-10-2007, 12:25 PM
You really need a cheap awning.

I'm off to the golf course right now. Hopefully the rain will hold off. I haven't played since last fall, so it's not gonna be pretty.

Fire Me Boy!
06-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Yeah, that may be coming next weekend after payday.

Buehler445
06-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Yeah, that may be coming next weekend after payday.

Poopy. Do you live in KC?

Fire Me Boy!
06-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Just south of KC> What's really pissing me off now is that it ain't rainin' yet.

seclark
06-10-2007, 01:41 PM
i'm babysitting the grandaughter and grandson while their mom and dad play softball.
putting some ribs and dogs on the grill for when they come home. i don't care if it rains or not.
i've got a pretty sweet gig.
sec

Stewie
06-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Never let the weather stop you from smoking ribs, PUSSY! :)

BTW, I played Swope yesterday and it's in great shape. I need to play there more often.

Fire Me Boy!
06-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Never let the weather stop you from smoking ribs, PUSSY! :)

BTW, I played Swope yesterday and it's in great shape. I need to play there more often.
The only thing that kept me from it was NOT for my own comfort. I decided not to smoke them because it's not good for the grill. I could give a shit if I get a little wet.

seclark
06-10-2007, 01:53 PM
The only thing that kept me from it was NOT for my own comfort. I decided not to smoke them because it's not good for the grill. I could give a shit if I get a little wet.
some of my best smokin's been done in the rain.
sec

Stewie
06-10-2007, 01:55 PM

Huh? Rain hurts your grill/smoker?

Fire Me Boy!
06-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Huh? Rain hurts your grill/smoker?
I read (can't remember where) it's hard on the metal. Something with the hot metal and cold rain.

Buehler445
06-10-2007, 02:01 PM
Just south of KC> What's really pissing me off now is that it ain't rainin' yet.

It has started sprinkling in Emporia. It doesn't appear to be windy, so you maybe able to rig up some sort of awning yourself.

Fire Me Boy!
06-10-2007, 02:02 PM
Rust maybe?

Stewie
06-10-2007, 02:04 PM
I read (can't remember where) it's hard on the metal. Something with the hot metal and cold rain.

All you need to worry about is keeping the temperature where you want it. You won't ruin the smoker.

Frankie
06-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Crappy day. I was gonna smoke some ribs today, but I'm afraid it'll be raining soon. And I've read it's not good on the smoker to heat it up in the rain.

So... I'm doing my damn ribs in the oven. Shitty, shitty.
And yet exactly one year ago to today, I had a massive heart attack.... Oooops, there's already a thread about that (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=164305) but I'm not an attention whore. :p

seclark
06-10-2007, 02:05 PM
Rust maybe?
a little rust on the outside aint gonna hurt anything.
cook the ribs.
sec

Fire Me Boy!
06-10-2007, 02:07 PM
A little rust fairly quickly turns to a lot of rust, fairly quickly turning to less metal and worse temp control.

Stewie
06-10-2007, 02:09 PM
A little rust fairly quickly turns to a lot of rust, fairly quickly turning to less metal and worse temp control.

What kind of smoker do you have?

Frankie
06-10-2007, 02:10 PM
What kind of smoker do you have?
Isn't that a pretty private question to ask a man?

seclark
06-10-2007, 02:10 PM
whatever...just boil some eggs for supper.
sec

Fire Me Boy!
06-10-2007, 02:11 PM
Offset box. Just trying to take care of the grill. My last grill wasn't in good shape because I didn't take very good care of it.

And truth be told, the ribs have been in the oven since noon. They're almost done now.

seclark
06-10-2007, 02:13 PM
And truth be told, the ribs have been in the oven since noon. They're almost done now.

poser.

KurtCobain
06-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Rain can't stop me from bbqing! 'Bout to go to my brothers to grill in his garage.

Stewie
06-10-2007, 02:15 PM
Offset box. Just trying to take care of the grill. My last grill wasn't in good shape because I didn't take very good care of it.

That's good, too. I've made some great pulled pork in a crock pot, so I'm not a BBQ prima donna.

The rust comes from lack of use and exposure to the elements. BBQing in the rain won't rust the smoker. Keep it covered when not in use to prevent rusting.

Fire Me Boy!
06-10-2007, 02:15 PM
poser.
They've been in the oven since noon because that's when I went outside to start the smoker. Then looked up, so I came inside to look at the weather report.

I just didn't post the thread until 1.

Fire Me Boy!
06-10-2007, 02:16 PM
I really don't like doing BBQ in the oven. But I put the rub on last night and it's either cook 'em or freeze 'em and I want ribs tonight.

Buehler445
06-10-2007, 02:21 PM
I really don't like doing BBQ in the oven. But I put the rub on last night and it's either cook 'em or freeze 'em and I want ribs tonight.

I'm sure it is better than what I will be eating for dinner tonight.

Fire Me Boy!
06-10-2007, 02:23 PM
Does anyone watch Throwdown with Bobby Flay? The topic last week was ribs. Bobby ****ing Flay didn't do his ribs in a smoker. He did them in the oven and finished them on the grill for the grill marks.

I was absolutely shocked.

Stewie
06-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Does anyone watch Throwdown with Bobby Flay? The topic last week was ribs. Bobby ****ing Flay didn't do his ribs in a smoker. He did them in the oven and finished them on the grill for the grill marks.

I was absolutely shocked.

Who was the "Throwdown" against? No way he won doing it that way.

Fire Me Boy!
06-10-2007, 02:26 PM
No, he didn't win. He also didn't go straight BBQ. He went Asian-influenced flavor. And everyone said the flavor was outstanding, but no smokiness.

The guy was some dude from Texas, I think. Could be mistaken.

Stewie
06-10-2007, 02:31 PM
I'll admit I've done ribs a million different ways. I've even done them on the Weber gas grill (lowest possible setting) with just salt and pepper and they were still mighty tasty. Not smoky, but darn good.

munkey
06-10-2007, 02:33 PM
I'll admit I've done ribs a million different ways. I've even done them on the Weber gas grill (lowest possible setting) with just salt and pepper and they were still mighty tasty. Not smoky, but darn good.

I like to grill them on the que then bake...come out great everytime.