PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever built a fishing dock/pier?

ILChief
06-10-2007, 06:56 PM
We bought some land to build a house on and it has a small pond. I'd like to add a small fishing dock. Anyone ever done this? and if so, is it a major project? I'm no master carpenter but I can handle small projects.

Any info/advice is appreciated.

Skip Towne
06-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Phobia can do anything and he will travel ridiculous distances for nearly nothing.

Rain Man
06-10-2007, 07:07 PM
I can change a light bulb in under three hours.

ChiefsCountry
06-10-2007, 07:37 PM
We always either bought an old pontoon for cheap or an old dock from one of the dock builders.

chiefscraze
06-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Go see your nearest home improvement store and they can order you whatever you need. I got my stuff at Menard's last time. They have either floating docks or dock with legs that stand on the bottom. The floating docks are the best since you are closer to the water.

The one with legs are cheaper, but don't work well with deep ponds or when water levels fluctuate a great deal. We have bought used docks before and they aren't worth it. There is probably a reason they are being replaced.

Simplex3
06-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Foam and some pressure treated wood. Build a deck with the foam under it.

Depending on how big you want it it's probably easier to just buy a used one. May be cheaper, too. Not sure what foam is going for these days.

The big trick here is deciding if you actually want one. How much does your pond go up and down with rains/droughts? Will you be walking through 4ft of mud to get to it in the summer? Will you be wading out waist deep before you reach it in the spring? What are you going to do at the end of this dock? How deep is the water?

You get the drift. Make sure you're buying one because you will use it, not for the romantic notion of it.

Skip Towne
06-10-2007, 09:05 PM
Foam and some pressure treated wood. Build a deck with the foam under it.

Depending on how big you want it it's probably easier to just buy a used one. May be cheaper, too. Not sure what foam is going for these days.

The big trick here is deciding if you actually want one. How much does your pond go up and down with rains/droughts? Will you be walking through 4ft of mud to get to it in the summer? Will you be wading out waist deep before you reach it in the spring? What are you going to do at the end of this dock? How deep is the water?

You get the drift. Make sure you're buying one because you will use it, not for the romantic notion of it.
You ask too many questions. Who do think you are? Donger?

Simplex3
06-10-2007, 09:10 PM
You ask too many questions. Who do think you are? Donger?
I believe a solid "F**k you" is in order for that comment.

Skip Towne
06-10-2007, 09:15 PM
I believe a solid "F**k you" is in order for that comment.
You silver tongued devil you.

Simplex3
06-10-2007, 09:16 PM
You silver tongued devil you.
How many times do I have to tell you I don't swing that way?

:D

Hammock Parties
06-10-2007, 11:03 PM
When it comes to putting in the posts all i know is that you got to put them in before you build up the dock so you know what your working with, mud wise. Youve gotta hammer them in there very well and tight. Making one for a small pond shouldn't be very hard at all, cause there isnt much flow and the water really wont rise much at all.

KcMizzou
06-10-2007, 11:06 PM
Phobia can do anything and he will travel ridiculous distances for nearly nothing.This is true.

I get tired of going along for the ride.

Valiant
06-11-2007, 12:02 AM
Go see your nearest home improvement store and they can order you whatever you need. I got my stuff at Menard's last time. They have either floating docks or dock with legs that stand on the bottom. The floating docks are the best since you are closer to the water.

The one with legs are cheaper, but don't work well with deep ponds or when water levels fluctuate a great deal. We have bought used docks before and they aren't worth it. There is probably a reason they are being replaced.

His advice is your best bet.. I helped build a dock at stockton lake for our community there... More then likely you do not need to go the scale we went.. And all the stuff we had to deal with the lake going up or down a good 5-20 feet depending on the year/season...

ILChief
06-11-2007, 05:27 AM

how is it walking on these floating docks? are they fairly sturdy or do they go up and down as you walk on them?

Thanks

Simplex3
06-11-2007, 06:12 AM
how is it walking on these floating docks? are they fairly sturdy or do they go up and down as you walk on them?

Thanks
Depends on how big it is. The smaller it is, the more it will move.

boogblaster
06-11-2007, 06:53 AM
Yep treated wood and foam will out last the post type and floats with the level change..sometimes it would be best to attatch a floating ramp back to dry ground that is above flood level....