PDA

View Full Version : GRETZ: Words from L.J.

Kerberos
06-13-2007, 06:06 AM
He doesn’t speak often, at least not for the local media. Larry Johnson guards his public utterances.http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/images/3FBDD461E97F4904AB58E269D28D13AA.JPG?0.5168775021620892The media does not like that; they want to decide when a player talks, especially a star like L.J. That’s why they don’t like Johnson, because he won’t play ball with them under their rules.

Instead, Johnson speaks when he wants. They don’t like what he says most of the time, which is OK with LJ because he doesn’t care what they think anyway. But it aggravates the media, especially those in the business who believe they are the arbitrators of all that is good and bad in the world of sports.

That’s why comments, whether they are written or spoken about Johnson, are usually so negative.How does this effect Johnson’s standings with the fans? Not at all, and that’s what ticks off the media the most.

When the Chiefs held their open mini-camp practice session inside Arrowhead Stadium, no player spent more time signing autographs than Johnson. He was the last player off the field, just as he was the year before. He all but walked some fans to their cars.

All this is a precursor to what figures to be a difficult time for the media. That would be the contract situation between the Chiefs and Johnson. In the fifth-year of his rookie deal, Johnson can void the final two seasons and become a free agent after the 2007 season.

Talks have already begun between the Chiefs and Johnson’s agent on a contract extensionGenerally the media likes to take sides in these situations, but they will have a hard time in this one because they don’t like Johnson or Carl Peterson.

They are already predicting a nasty holdout and a major distraction for the team. They are planting seeds that the deal is already causing ripples in the Chiefs locker room.So, is all this a distraction for Johnson? He hasn’t spoken about it before.“It’s not much of a distraction right now,” Johnson said. “It will be a distraction when it gets down to the wire. I know how this organization works and everything is going to be taken real slow, at their own pace. Hopefully it will work out for the better.“You can’t let it get to you.

You want the contract to be done on your time, and that’s when you get frustrated and a lot of things get out of whack.

You just need to step back from the situation and let it develop on its own, and see where it comes out at the end. I’m prepared to do that. I am doing that.”Does he have a timetable for completion of this new deal?“Not really, but I would like to get it done sooner than later,” he said. “I don’t have a wife and kids, but it’s definitely something you want to set up for the future for your family.”Some parts of the media say Johnson is a problem in the Chiefs locker room, that his teammates do not like him, that he’s a divisive figure. Of course, these media types never name names when the say his teammates don’t care for him.

No sources, nothing tangible, just rumor mongering. They are predicting this contract situation will create a greater divide between No. 27 and the other players on the roster.How does Johnson react to this type of thing?http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/images/5F11807E04DE43E89AF30B6CDF55A2A8.JPG?0.4221220339745618”I blow it off,” said Johnson. “The guys I play with are grown men and if they really had a problem with me, trust me, they would have come over to me and said ‘you are doing this, you are doing that wrong, or why do you do this?’ Nobody has said anything to me.“I’ve never see myself as being a problem in the locker room.

There have been times at half-time in the locker room where I have stood up and said, ‘Hey, this is what we need to do more of.’ But I’ve never called out any player in the media or in the locker room, to make somebody feel embarrassed.“They need to understand where I’m coming from. I want to win and not so much win for me, but win for guys that have been here a long time.

Last year I wanted to win for guys like Will Shields and Trent Green. When you get in the middle of the game and you get heated, you want to go out and win not so much for yourself, but for the team and put a smile on everybody’s face. That’s always been my focus.”As Johnson opens his fifth season with the team, he’s seventh on the roster in team seniority. Only Tony Gonzalez, Greg Wesley, Jason Dunn, Casey Wiegmann, Brian Waters and Eddie Kennison have been with the team longer.

Does that force L.J. into taking a more vocal leadership role with this young group of teammates?“I feel like I have to lead by example,” said Johnson. “That’s what I like to do. You can get an older guy up there and have him talk all day about what he did or didn’t do, but what it comes down with those young guys, seeing is believing.

If they don’t see you doing it on the field, they are not going to follow you. I would rather have guys feed off my energy and what I do on the field. I will say something every now and then, but I won’t be making any Al Pacino speeches. I’m going to make them follow me by what I do on the field.”His goal for 2007 is simple, direct and has nothing to do with yards, carries or touchdowns.“I want to win a Super Bowl,” said Johnson. “I’ve never played in a big, big game in my whole career.

I had one big game and that’s when I played 115-pound Pop Warner football and we won the championship. At that time, it didn’t feel like a championship because I was just into having fun. I didn’t realize it was a championship game and what that meant.“I really want to get to the Super Bowl and be in that atmosphere.”Coming on Friday: Coordinator Mike Solari and his second season calling the plays for the Chiefs offense.

Buehler445
06-13-2007, 06:50 AM
This article is better than most Gretz articles. I just hope it is true...

From this article, I think LJ is handling this pretty well. What he is saying is very politically correct, but also very optomistic.

The problem is that LJ is the only one they talk to. It would be more believable if they affirmed that with other players. That being said, I am very happy about the comments coming from LJ.

Pneuma
06-13-2007, 06:50 AM
I would really like to sign LJ to a long term deal!!! Get it done CP.

StcChief
06-13-2007, 07:08 AM
Glad he doesn't talk to the media. Wish more players would put them on ignore.

Just pound the rock, lead by example on /off the field.

LOCOChief
06-13-2007, 07:45 AM
I liked his comments as well they did appear to be positive, and I also like the fact that we will be incorporating the RB's in the passing game more. What scares the hell out of me is what if the number in LJ's head isn't reasonable? There is a limit, and if that limit isn't recognized and we just throw money at the guy like a drunken sailor Herms youth movement becomes an endless cycle and we become the training ground for the rest of the league (like the Royals)

StcChief
06-13-2007, 07:55 AM
I liked his comments as well they did appear to be positive, and I also like the fact that we will be incorporating the RB's in the passing game more. What scares the hell out of me is what if the number in LJ's head isn't reasonable? There is a limit, and if that limit isn't recognized and we just throw money at the guy like a drunken sailor Herms youth movement becomes an endless cycle and we become the training ground for the rest of the league (like the Royals)

I've been thinking that as well. Damn agents will look at existing contracts and stats and project his value in future $$$,
maybe well over King Carl/Clark Hunt's idea of reasonable.

Anyong Bluth
06-13-2007, 08:13 AM
I think with a change in staff and the roster, he's become more comfortable in his own skin. Dude wants to get paid, and I won't fault him if another team wants to show him more dollars than KC is willing to pony up, but I don't take his comments about playing in Arrowhead and in front of the fans as lipservice. No player that has been w/ the Chiefs doesn't share this same sentiment, and the number of candid admissions by players that came into Arrowhead only backs up this point.

Would LJ like to be in a bigger market? Maybe, his marketing deals might be enhanced, but the NFL is premium commodity, and I think a player's team doesn't affect this nearly as much as other sports. Top players get plenty of exposure. LT in SD, Farve in GB, etc. etc. etc. The only time I can think of recently that a player was thought to be under showcased was Shaun Alexander, and he ended up getting plenty.

Splat420
06-13-2007, 08:30 AM
The media sucks dam the man.

FAX
06-13-2007, 08:34 AM
I know this is probably blasphemy to you guys, but I'm not sure LJ is "all that". When he was playing behind one of the best O-lines in NFL history, he shined (as would a lot of backs). Give him the ball 700 times in a season and he'll stock up the yardage. But, the true test of his talents will be this year and next.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure what this article is about. LJ good. Media bad. I think that's about it.

FAX

Phobia
06-13-2007, 08:43 AM
As Johnson opens his fifth season with the team, he’s seventh on the roster in team seniority. Only Tony Gonzalez, Greg Wesley, Jason Dunn, Casey Wiegmann, Brian Waters and Eddie Kennison have been with the team longer.

That's an amazing factoid. I had no idea until it appeared right there in print.

Kerberos
06-13-2007, 09:17 AM
That's an amazing factoid. I had no idea until it appeared right there in print.

Kind of makes that "Making the TEAM YOUNGER" thing hit home quick doesn't it?

If TG is one of the oldest on the team I have no problems with that but the changing of the gaurd at arrowhead has been needed to be done for a while now.

I for one think Herm is doing a good thing here. If we can snag LJ for another 5 to 6 years I think it will also be a GOOD thing.

InChiefsHeaven
06-13-2007, 09:27 AM
We WILL resign LJ. Carl will not let his golden draft pick go away. Not to mention, we really are building this team for the running game, and we have the best RB in the league...for the running game. If he learns how to catch and block...look the f@#$ out...

Uncle_Ted
06-13-2007, 09:27 AM
Coming on Friday: Coordinator Mike Solari and his second season calling the plays for the Chiefs offense.

When I read this I was thinking that "Mike Solari calling play for the Chiefs offense" sounds like a title from the "World's Shortest Books" series. :)

Brock
06-13-2007, 09:29 AM
We WILL resign LJ. Carl will not let his golden draft pick go away. Not to mention, we really are building this team for the running game, and we have the best RB in the league...for the running game. If he learns how to catch and block...look the f@#$ out...

He knows how to catch. Blocking is another story.

Kerberos
06-13-2007, 07:20 PM
He knows how to catch. Blocking is another story.
We don't need LJ for blocking..... Priest is going to be back for training camp. :p

Rain Man
06-13-2007, 07:55 PM
”As Johnson opens his fifth season with the team, he’s seventh on the roster in team seniority. Only Tony Gonzalez, Greg Wesley, Jason Dunn, Casey Wiegmann, Brian Waters and Eddie Kennison have been with the team longer.

Holy shamoley. I would've never guessed this.

If I was an NFL player, I think I wouldn't even have contact with my agent or the GM. The agent gets a commission, so he's going to get the best deal done, and the GM's job is represent the team's owner and not the player, so I'd just ignore them. I'd tell the agent to call me when a deal got done, and I'd tell the GM to call me if I was traded, and then I'd go work out in Tahiti.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2007, 08:09 PM
Just more proof that LJ is the greatest human being alive.

Chieftain58
06-13-2007, 09:21 PM
He's going to break the bank

OctoberFart
06-13-2007, 09:26 PM
Just more proof that LJ is the greatest human being alive.

You need to be his agent and get him that 7 yr 80 mil with 40 mil signing bonus contract.

milkman
06-13-2007, 09:55 PM
I know this is probably blasphemy to you guys, but I'm not sure LJ is "all that". When he was playing behind one of the best O-lines in NFL history, he shined (as would a lot of backs). Give him the ball 700 times in a season and he'll stock up the yardage. But, the true test of his talents will be this year and next.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure what this article is about. LJ good. Media bad. I think that's about it.

FAX

The fact is that he still managed a 4.3 yard per carry average, even though the O-Line virtually dissapeared, and teams stacked the box.

My concern is how the number of carries he had/will have will wear him down.

He didn't finish runs last season the same as he did the season before, and he didn't have the same explosiveness.

FAX
06-13-2007, 10:01 PM
The fact is that he still managed a 4.3 yard per carry average, even though the O-Line virtually dissapeared, and teams stacked the box.

My concern is how the number of carries he had/will have will wear him down.

He didn't finish runs last season the same as he did the season before, and he didn't have the same explosiveness.

Agreed. I saw moves from him early in the year that I hadn't seen before, Mr. milkman. Quicker feet and he seemed to be keying on his blocks a little better than he had in the past. He's a strong guy for sure, but I'm not ready to nominate him for the Hall just yet. If he performs well this year and next, I'll get an LJ tat on my butt. Assuming he's still a Chief, that is. Until then, I'm wary as a white man.

FAX

Kerberos
06-14-2007, 06:05 AM
You need to be his agent and get him that 7 yr 80 mil with 40 mil signing bonus contract.

A PHAT contract and slobbed knob at the same time. Could life get any better?

....er I guess if that slobbed knob was from a hot chick instead it would be a LOT better! ;)

InChiefsHeaven
06-14-2007, 07:19 AM
We don't need LJ for blocking..... Priest is going to be back for training camp. :p

Is that a rumor going around or are you just being funny? Reason I ask is, last week a buddy of mine said he read in the Sporting News or someplace that Priest was indeed going to report to training camp. Since I never saw anything about it here on the Planet, I dismissed it. Is this some kind of "legit rumor?" I told him I'd look into it, but I don't believe it at all. Just curious.

Direckshun
06-14-2007, 07:45 AM
If we keep LJ, it's going to be for more than LT.

LJ's got the upper hand barring injury this year. He's going to the FA market next year and the bidding war will make him more expensive than LT.

At that point, we'll have to make a choice.

We have the cap room to win the bidding war, but at what price? He's the perfect RB for this system, but is he worth the huge contract?

Questions, questions. We've got 10 or 11 months to figure that out.

Kerberos
06-14-2007, 08:07 AM
Is that a rumor going around or are you just being funny? Reason I ask is, last week a buddy of mine said he read in the Sporting News or someplace that Priest was indeed going to report to training camp. Since I never saw anything about it here on the Planet, I dismissed it. Is this some kind of "legit rumor?" I told him I'd look into it, but I don't believe it at all. Just curious.
I have no idea if Priest is coming back. I am just being a smartass.:)

I guess all of us NOT paying $99.99 a year for Premium content are going to left in the cold on this kind of BREAKING NEWS. :rolleyes:

:D