PDA

View Full Version : Dell has a REALLY good deal going on right now

pr_capone
06-13-2007, 10:46 AM
TODAY ONLY

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/odg/hip_msn?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

$399 for:

AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 3600 proc
Windows XP or Windows Vista
512mb RAM
80 Gb SATA HD
16X DVD-Rom
19" Wide Screen Samsung LCD
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

All in all, not a bad little rig... especially for the price.

Pushead2
06-13-2007, 10:47 AM
I better one would be entitled

"Have Dell buy you a MAC!"

That is a super deal, The monitor is 150 and the dual core?? Nice deal for a Dell

the Talking Can
06-13-2007, 10:52 AM
nice, bump it up to 2GB RAM and 160GB hard rive for $599.....

Donger
06-13-2007, 10:52 AM
Expires 06/13/07.

Couldn't they extend that?

Otter
06-13-2007, 10:53 AM
Doesn't look like a bad deal except the 512mb of memory with Windows Vista. That might work if all you do is run the operating system with no applications.

BigMeatballDave
06-13-2007, 10:53 AM
Dell is available at Walmart, now...

wutamess
06-13-2007, 10:54 AM
Bought mine the other day - 3800 w/22inch LCD.
upgrade HD to 320 GB.

Bought 2 Gb of extra RAM but not compatible. I'll stick with the 1GB it's smoking as is.

pr_capone
06-13-2007, 10:54 AM
Expires 06/13/07.

Couldn't they extend that?

That would defeat the purpose of a one day sale then, wouldnt it?

Donger
06-13-2007, 10:55 AM
That would defeat the purpose of a one day sale then, wouldnt it?

Yes, but doesn't Dell routinely extend these types of sales?

BigMeatballDave
06-13-2007, 10:56 AM
Doesn't look like a bad deal except the 512mb of memory with Windows Vista. That might work if all you do is run the operating system with no applications.Yup. Selling a machine running Vista with only 512 is almost criminal... :)

the Talking Can
06-13-2007, 10:57 AM
you can get it with xp or vista...at that price you can afford the extra memory

pr_capone
06-13-2007, 10:59 AM
Yes, but doesn't Dell routinely extend these types of sales?

TBH, I dunno. You might try calling their sales dept. You might be on hold for the better part of the day but at least you *might* get the right answer. :D

Donger
06-13-2007, 11:01 AM
TBH, I dunno. You might try calling their sales dept. You might be on hold for the better part of the day but at least you *might* get the right answer. :D

No thanks. I tried to order a new laptop for the wife from Dell about a year ago.

Never again.

dirk digler
06-13-2007, 11:02 AM
you can get it with xp or vista...at that price you can afford the extra memory

Yep I am definitely thinking about this one. I don't want Vista so XP with 1gb of RAM is still a pretty good deal

BigMeatballDave
06-13-2007, 11:04 AM
Yep I am definitely thinking about this one. I don't want Vista so XP with 1gb of RAM is still a pretty good dealI have Vista on a Gig of Ram, runs good...

jAZ
06-13-2007, 11:08 AM
I just bought this laptop at Circuit City on Saturday night...

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Acer-Aspire-15-4-Widescreen-Notebook-PC-5100-5840/sem/rpsm/oid/176216/catOid/-12963/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Acer Aspire 15.4" Widescreen Notebook PC (5100-5840)
ACA AS51005840
• AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-52
• 160GB hard drive
• Burns DVDs and CDs
• 2GB of DDR2 memory
• Built-in 802.11gb wireless
• Windows Vista Home Premium

Today it is 845. Last Sunday (June 4th) it was advertised as 745. My old laptop shot craps late Saturday afternoon. After looking at the Sunday ads, I decided to pick it up for 745 and if the next morning (June 11) had a better deal, I'd just exchange it.

Went in at 8:45pm and bought the machine, and for some reason it was sitting on the shelf priced at 645. I had the guy ring it up and then asked about the price difference between the ad and the shelf. He said it happens pretty often.

All of the other somewhat comparable machines out there were typically $745-845 and often they came with only 1GB of ram, not 2... and the intel dual core rather than the turion.

Eleazar
06-13-2007, 11:26 AM
I have a full tower case and just replace components when I want to upgrade. Since you reuse half of the components you end up spending about 500-600 each time you do a major upgrade (for me, every 3 years or maybe 4), but instead of running something middle of the road you have a really nice system.

I just upgraded to AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ / 4GB RAM / 512MB vid / 160GB HD

kcxiv
06-13-2007, 11:28 AM
does it i have a port for a video card? if not, then thats pretty worthless.

It would be pretty ok, ifit had a pcie slot.

dirk digler
06-13-2007, 11:34 AM
I have a full tower case and just replace components when I want to upgrade. Since you reuse half of the components you end up spending about 500-600 each time you do a major upgrade (for me, every 3 years or maybe 4), but instead of running something middle of the road you have a really nice system.

That is usually what I do as well. I buy motherboard\cpu\memory bundles and that works out pretty well.

KC-TBB
06-13-2007, 11:35 AM

Hey Cochise, do you buy your stuff locally or through Tiger Direct or something...I have been thinking of building one myself.

Eleazar
06-13-2007, 11:43 AM
Dirk, I do the same thing.

When I do a major upgrade, I keep the monitor, speakers, power supply, case, keyboard, mouse, other accessories, and I've been re-using the same Windows XP license since it came out. So usually I just buy CPU, motherboard, memory, and video card.

The sound card and hard drive I had up until just recently I had been using for probably more than 5 years (SB Live and a 40GB), so I upgraded those this time too. But they will stay (whatever the opposite of obsolete is) for my needs for 2 cycles, so I don't do them every time.

Hey Cochise, do you buy your stuff locally or through Tiger Direct or something...I have been thinking of building one myself.

I personally go through Tiger Direct most of the time. I've always had good luck with them.

Although, for any of you over in Johnson County, Hypertech Computers is a great little shop. I always put in a plug for them. I bought a part there once that I broke myself just through dumbassery, and I showed up the next day to buy another one and the guy remembered me. Took the broken part back and exchanged it for a new one, without me even asking - I was ready to fork over full price because it really was my fault. I'd keep patronizing them but I live an hour away from there now. Look them up if any of you are in the area.

Buehler445
06-13-2007, 12:01 PM
does it i have a port for a video card? if not, then thats pretty worthless.

It would be pretty ok, ifit had a pcie slot.

Base price is integrated. You have to lay down some coin to get an one.

pr_capone
06-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Look at newegg.com as well. I get most of my stuff from there.

kcxiv
06-13-2007, 01:36 PM
hehe, some integraded MB's still have pcie slots, or agp slots, but the games i play i have to at least use a ati1950 or a geforce 7900 and up. If i dont have one of them, then the PC will just be a media center basically.

Buehler445
06-13-2007, 01:38 PM
hehe, some integraded MB's still have pcie slots, or agp slots, but the games i play i have to at least use a ati1950 or a geforce 7900 and up. If i dont have one of them, then the PC will just be a media center basically.

The size of it suggested to me (Even though I don't know too much) that the integrated one wouldn't leave a PCI slot open. My logic was that you had to get a decent one to get it in the PCI slot, then you could change it out. I'm probably retarted though.

Hootie
06-13-2007, 01:42 PM
JUST BOUGHT ONE

Mr. Plow
06-13-2007, 01:56 PM
You can usually find some good deals for Dell and other various companies at Coupon Mountain.com (http://www.couponmountain.com/) as well.

06-13-2007, 02:01 PM
You didn't answer his question. He asked of it has a port to upgrade the video. If it does have a port is it AGP or PCIE.

06-13-2007, 02:06 PM
From Cnet... 5.5 after all the upgrades. And no, you cannot upgrade the video yourself as the case does not allow room for standard video cards.

CNET editors' review
Reviewed by: Rich Brown
Edited by: Katy Sullivan
Reviewed on 9/18/06 Release date: 9/12/06

After so much buildup, you might think that the Dell Dimension C521 would make a more dramatic entrance. It is, after all, one of the first two Dell consumer desktops to include a processor from AMD. But rather than rolling out the new partnership at the top of the desktop market with an unattainable $5,000 gaming PC, Dell has made a wiser move in debuting its AMD boxes as more budget-friendly, day-to-day PCs. The Dimension C521 starts at $359, and our review model costs $1,215 thanks to its various upgrades. At that price, it's competitive performance-wise compared to other systems in its class, but Dell hasn't used the smaller chassis very well here, a problem we also found with Dell's XPS 210. Dell is on the right track design-wise with its XPS 700, in which form serves function. The Dimension C521, however, feels like an uninspired throwback.

First, the basics. Our Dimension C521 came with a 2.4GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+, 1GB of 533MHz DDR2 memory, a 320GB 7,200rpm hard drive, and a half-height 256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro graphics card. That's a nearly identical core configuration to that of the XPS 210, and like that Intel Core 2 Duo-based PC, there are few day-to-day tasks the Dimension C521 can't handle. Windows Vista should operate well, although you might need to scale back on the Aero visual effects due to the lower-end graphics card. The current Windows Media Center 2005 operating system, the DVD burner, and the included TV tuner should give you a decent digital entertainment experience, but you can forget about a more powerful sound card, a dedicated video encoder, or even a more powerful graphics card for bolstering video quality and playing games, because the Dimension C521 case isn't large enough to accept full-size expansion cards.

The Dimension C521 measures 15.75 inches tall, 4.5 inches wide, and 14.25 inches deep, making it taller and just slightly wider than the XPS 210 (which is 12.4 by 3.7 by 14.4). Both can accept only half-height expansion cards, but we're more willing to forgive that in the XPS 210 because it's smaller overall. The Dimension C521, on the other hand, takes up only slightly less space than a typical midtower desktop, so we're not really sure what benefit you get from its barely reduced volume. If you want to stick with Dell, the midtower Dimension E521 (the other AMD-based PC Dell announced alongside this one) makes a much better system for adding parts. Velocity Micro and PC Club also make competitive tower-style desktops in this price range, and Apple, WinBook, and others have better space-savers.

At least we can say that Dell chose our review Dimension C521's config wisely. On our performance tests, it hung in alongside the other systems we've reviewed over the past few months that fall within the $999-to-$1,300 price range. Yes, it finished last on a few tests but never by a wide margin, and in general it performed exactly where it should given its specs. We've made it clear in past reviews that Intel's Core 2 Duo chips are superior to AMD's Athlon 64 X2's, but AMD adjusted prices to stay competitive, and by using an Athlon 64 X2 4600+ in this price range, Dell has shown that AMD's chips are still worth considering. We are also satisfied with this system's 3D performance. You won't be able to play the most cutting-edge 3D shooters on the Dimension C521, but it will at least give you a playable experience with the more mainstream titles, such as the Sims 2 and World of Warcraft.

Buehler445
06-13-2007, 02:09 PM
You didn't answer his question. He asked of it has a port to upgrade the video. If it does have a port is it AGP or PCIE.

I told you...I=retarted.

Eleazar
06-13-2007, 02:10 PM
I had a PC a long time ago that had integrated video. I tried to put a video card in it to upgrade but I could never figure out a way to disable the onboard video. I don't think the manufacturers of those kinds of PCs want you upgrading, they want you buying whole new machines.

It really doesn't take any expertise to build your own system. You just need to be careful that your CPU/motherboard/memory work together. All the rest of the stuff you just plug in, more or less. It's easy. I think most people are just afraid to try but anybody can do it.

It seems crazy to me that Dell is making machines that won't accept expansion cards. Who would buy something like that...? I can see if you're just an IE/email user who will never need an upgrade of any kind, but sheesh.

Baby Lee
06-13-2007, 02:12 PM
More to come;
Save with Ten Days of Deals Starting Today at Dell Home
The Day's of Deals Sale has begun at Dell Home. Each day from today through June 21 save a single major deal. Today's deal, available for only a few more hours, is an XPS 410 Desktop PC with 20-inch LCD Widescreen Digital Flat Panel Monitor for $1099 - $200 instant savings = $899.

Other specials will feature Notebooks, Desktops, and Electronics and Accessories. Shipping for most items is free. Discounts are updated each day at Central Time and continue through June 21.

06-13-2007, 02:16 PM
I had a PC a long time ago that had integrated video. I tried to put a video card in it to upgrade but I could never figure out a way to disable the onboard video. I don't think the manufacturers of those kinds of PCs want you upgrading, they want you buying whole new machines.

It really doesn't take any expertise to build your own system. You just need to be careful that your CPU/motherboard/memory work together. All the rest of the stuff you just plug in, more or less. It's easy. I think most people are just afraid to try but anybody can do it.

It seems crazy to me that Dell is making machines that won't accept expansion cards. Who would buy something like that...? I can see if you're just an IE/email user who will never need an upgrade of any kind, but sheesh.

I have done this in the past but get irritated when I hear others get the same thing or better for much less than I paid. I am never able to find the outstanding prices others seem to always find. I primarily have used newegg and pricewatch.

Baby Lee
06-13-2007, 02:29 PM
The size of it suggested to me (Even though I don't know too much) that the integrated one wouldn't leave a PCI slot open. My logic was that you had to get a decent one to get it in the PCI slot, then you could change it out. I'm probably retarted though.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimc521/en/SM_EN/techov.htm#wp1052632

1 PCI-E 16x slot
1 PCI-E 1x slot
1 PCI slot

Buehler445
06-13-2007, 02:33 PM
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimc521/en/SM_EN/techov.htm#wp1052632

1 PCI-E 16x slot
1 PCI-E 1x slot
1 PCI slot

Very helpful. Good work. I'll try not to be such a go-tard in the future.

ZootedGranny
06-13-2007, 03:11 PM
Thanks for posting this, as this is the PERFECT deal for a friend of the family that's been looking for a good deal for a couple of months.

I can throw in another half gig of memory for less than Dell's charging, and he can deal with Dell for customer support instead of hassling me.

Buying seperately, an OEM copy of XP Home and the monitor end up being about $280, so getting the rest of the rig for about $135 isn't bad at all.

Stewie
06-13-2007, 03:21 PM
That's a great deal. I remember dropping $1500 for a computer package with a 486 and 32 MB RAM at Sam's Club in the mid 90s. My how times change.

06-13-2007, 04:26 PM

1 PCI-E 16x slot
1 PCI-E 1x slot
1 PCI slot
From CNET...
but you can forget about a more powerful sound card, a dedicated video encoder, or even a more powerful graphics card for bolstering video quality and playing games, because the Dimension C521 case isn't large enough to accept full-size expansion cards.