PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 commissioner stepping down

Rooster
06-14-2007, 02:59 PM
Big 12 commissioner stepping down

DALLAS (AP) -- Big 12 commissioner Kevin Weiberg will resign next month to take a job with the Big Ten Network.

During nearly a decade on the job, Weiberg was credited with doubling the annual revenue distributed to member schools to a record $106 million last year. He started in December 1998.

"There is never a perfect time to depart a position like this," Weiberg said Thursday. "I am proud of the growth and progress of the Big 12 over the last nine years."

Texas Tech athletic director Gerald Myers said Weiberg brought unity to the league, a merger of the Midwest-based Big Eight and four Southwest Conference schools in Texas.

"It was a shock, unexpected," Myers said. "It's definitely better as a result of his leadership the last nine years. We'll definitely miss him and wish him the best."

No replacement has been chosen. Harvey Perlman, chairman of the Big 12 Board of Directors, said he will consult with other board members to determine a transition plan.

Weiberg recently helped close a television contract with ABC and ESPN through the 2015-16 academic year.

He also served as coordinator of football's Bowl Championship Series for the 2004-05 seasons.

One of Weiberg's darkest days as commissioner came in 2001, when a plane carrying members of the Oklahoma State men's basketball program crashed in Colorado, killing 10. Among the dead was Jared Weiberg, a student manager on the team and the commissioner's nephew.

Weiberg's new job is vice president of university planning and development for the Big Ten Network, which plans to launch in August. The network, a joint venture of the Big Ten Conference and Fox Cable Networks, will cover Big Ten athletic and academic events.

Steve Hatchell was the Big 12's first commissioner, serving two years after the league began competition in 1996. Dave Martin served in an interim role until Weiberg was hired.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/06/14/big12.weiberg.ap/index.html

KurtCobain
06-14-2007, 03:12 PM
And how does this effect the big 12?

|Zach|
06-14-2007, 03:18 PM
And how does this effect the big 12?
I have heard whispers of a few teams shipping off to the Pac 10 Texas...T AM...and the possibility of Mizzou in the Big 10. Obviouslyy speculation.

Stewie
06-14-2007, 03:29 PM
I have heard whispers of a few teams shipping off to the Pac 10 Texas...T AM...and the possibility of Mizzou in the Big 10. Obviouslyy speculation.

The Big 10 would never take MU. Nebraska, maybe.

Sam Hall
06-14-2007, 04:48 PM
The Big 10 would never take MU. Nebraska, maybe.

I can't see Nebraska moving.

big nasty kcnut
06-14-2007, 04:58 PM
Nobody moving but this does mean that we can get a commish that will help the big 12 instead of killing it like when weiberg let texas tech in the ncaa instead of ksu.