PDA

View Full Version : Herm Lovers, This is your thread...

Mr. Laz
06-15-2007, 12:07 PM
To talk about what he does that you like.

:shrug:

Reerun_KC
06-15-2007, 12:11 PM
STFU

Deberg_1990
06-15-2007, 12:12 PM
I like that he could get an aging team that lost pro bowl players like its starting QB, LT, fullback, to the playoffs in his first year.

I honestly dont think Vermeil could have done it.

Reerun_KC
06-15-2007, 12:16 PM
I like that he could get an aging team that lost pro bowl players like its starting QB, LT, fullback, to the playoffs in his first year.

I honestly dont think Vermeil could have done it.

Good God man DV had a 10-6 team miss the playoffs while Herm had the planets align for his playoff miracle....

That cant even be discussed or debated...

Hammock Parties
06-15-2007, 12:19 PM
http://chiefs.scout.com/2/579155.html

Buehler445
06-15-2007, 12:20 PM
We have all said it, but I like the players he is picking up in the draft and FA.

Hammock Parties
06-15-2007, 12:22 PM
Herm doesn't coddle players, which I like. If you don't perform, your ass is gone.

His coaching staff is cohesive. Dick's was often segmented, especially after Gunther arrived.

Under DV we felt like a half-team. Now we feel like a complete team.

Great motivator. Players want to play for him. Great eye for talent. Cool head.

Buehler445
06-15-2007, 12:24 PM
I also like his take on character of players. He doesn't stand for much BS off the field. Plus he seems to be a pretty quality guy himself.

Hammock Parties
06-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Now I'll tell you what I DON'T like.

He acts like a bigshot with the media around here. He must think he has it pretty well in KC after enduring New York. I didn't like what he did to DA after practice one day. It was mean spirited. Sometimes I wish he would be A LITTLE more agressive - I felt we punted too much inside the opponent's 45 last year. Sometimes it paid off, sometimes it didn't.

Overall I like him better than any other Chiefs coach since 1992.

Reerun_KC
06-15-2007, 01:41 PM
How could this fall off the front page.. With all the Herm swallowing going on around here, I figured this would be as big as the 10 pm thread now...

Archie Bunker
06-15-2007, 01:52 PM
No complaints from me. He has done exactly what I wanted the next head coach to do. Bring back the D, go young, develop a young QB, draft well, trim the fat, and instill a new toughness.

It may not be flashy or pretty but it is what I wanted after the DV era.

HonestChieffan
06-15-2007, 02:01 PM
Noone but no one can back into playoffs and deny it happened like his Hermness. And who better to tell Carl, "You are right, Carl!"

GoHuge
06-15-2007, 02:07 PM
I liked his two drafts......and I like how, well no I don't. Can't think of anything else.

06-15-2007, 02:31 PM

He acts like a bigshot with the media around here. He must think he has it pretty well in KC after enduring New York. I didn't like what he did to DA after practice one day. It was mean spirited. Sometimes I wish he would be A LITTLE more agressive - I felt we punted too much inside the opponent's 45 last year. Sometimes it paid off, sometimes it didn't.

The press in NY was very soft on Herm during his tenure..I'm pretty sure they were scared of being called racists. Whitlock has bashed Herm more in the last year than he ever got bashed in NY.

Hammock Parties
06-15-2007, 02:36 PM
The press in NY was very soft on Herm during his tenure..I'm pretty sure they were scared of being called racists. Whitlock has bashed Herm more in the last year than he ever got bashed in NY.

That's interesting. Why do you think Herm hasn't had a "play to win the game" meltdown in KC?

HonestChieffan
06-15-2007, 02:42 PM
he did

Hammock Parties
06-15-2007, 02:43 PM
he did

When?

06-15-2007, 02:52 PM
That's interesting. Why do you think Herm hasn't had a "play to win the game" meltdown in KC?
Because he's only been in KC for one year. his first year in NY was uneventful (press wise).

BucEyedPea
06-15-2007, 02:57 PM
How'd you know I was one of his lovers?

To talk about what he does that you like.
:shrug:

Tsk!Tsk! I should slap you for asking the intimate details.

Shame on you, Laz! :p

Mr. Laz
06-15-2007, 03:15 PM
How'd you know I was one of his lovers?

Tsk!Tsk! I should slap you for asking the intimate details.

Shame on you, Laz! :p
hehe ..... dirty girl. :p

:thumb:

Toad
06-15-2007, 10:30 PM
I don't understand how people can generally say "he sucks" or "he'll always suck" with only one Chiefs year under his belt. The Jets were a totally different situation. But, I think it's safe to grade him on what he has or hasn't done well so far as the Chiefs HC.

I do like the fact that he seems to be a fairly good talent evaluator. I also like that he has not focused on building the team on one side of the ball only. I like that he is not afraid to play younger players.

I don't like that he and his Solari were extremely conservative on offensive play-calling (particularly in the play-off game). I don't like that he doesn't appear to be an above average game manager.

To me, it boils down to this- as Herm moves this team through a "youth movement", the Chiefs will more than likely get worse before they get better.

macdawg
06-15-2007, 10:47 PM
Herm has confidence, good leader, good talent evaluator, he is taking the Chiefs back to basics, installing younger players, tougher on defense.....

KurtCobain
06-15-2007, 10:51 PM
I like the clueless look he gets whenever anything happens that he didn't have planned. It makes me laugh even when we're down 20 points.

greg63
06-15-2007, 10:56 PM
I can say with all honesty that the following clearly outlines what I like about Herm:

That it all.

Hammock Parties
06-15-2007, 10:57 PM
I like the clueless look he gets whenever anything happens that he didn't have planned. It makes me laugh even when we're down 20 points.

It's not cluelessness. It's cool.

Hootie
06-16-2007, 04:42 AM

I tried figuring it out...

but who is DA?

CupidStunt
06-16-2007, 05:22 AM
No complaints from me. He has done exactly what I wanted the next head coach to do. Bring back the D, go young, develop a young QB, draft well, trim the fat, and instill a new toughness.

Same here really. He's done little wrong.

You COULDN'T ask for a lot more. Franchise QB? Playoff win (beating the Super Bowl champions)?

Get real. This TEAM isn't nearly talented enough and where the hell would a franchise QB come from? He'll see what we have in Croyle, and if that doesn't work out I believe he'll do what it takes to find a true franchise QB.

boogblaster
06-16-2007, 05:42 AM
As a whole I like Herm..he's trying to bring youth..speed..toughness..and talent to KC..but I have a problem with some of his late-in-the-game calls..or lack of calls....

Coogs
06-16-2007, 08:11 AM

:clap: :clap: :clap:

My only complaint was keeping Gun, but Herm has pretty much wrested all of Gun's control away from him anyway. He has sent most of Gun's players and projects packing, and brought in the players needed to run his own defense.

Buehler445
06-16-2007, 08:17 AM
I tried figuring it out...

but who is DA?

DA is a sports radio guy on 610 (I think) he has "The DA show". Anyway, DA had someone on the show, and he tried to get it out of the player that there wasn't competition at the player's spot, and implied that Herm was lying about the competition thing. Herm didn't like that and took DA off to the side after a cranky press conference and gnawed on his butt a little bit. I think they got things worked out, but it was a big deal on here for a couple days.

Deberg_1990
06-16-2007, 11:32 AM
Good God man DV had a 10-6 team miss the playoffs while Herm had the planets align for his playoff miracle....

That cant even be discussed or debated...

Did you not read what i said?? I said considering the loss of talent on the offense, Herm did a pretty incredible job last year to get the most out of the team.

DV could not have done that.

The Chiefs won the games at the end of the season to put themselves in the playoffs. The other teams choked. They all knew what was at stake. The Chiefs deserved to make the playoffs.

Mr. Laz
06-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Did you not read what i said?? I said considering the loss of talent on the offense, Herm did a pretty incredible job last year to get the most out of the team.

DV could not have done that.

The Chiefs won the games at the end of the season to put themselves in the playoffs. The other teams choked. They all knew what was at stake. The Chiefs deserved to make the playoffs.
what loss of talent?

milkman
06-16-2007, 12:09 PM
what loss of talent?

Roaf, T-Rich, and the mearsurable decline in Shields' play.

Mr. Laz
06-16-2007, 12:15 PM
T-rich was a choice

any decline is debatable about how much the simplified gameplan effecting the ability of the offensive line to do their job.

they lost Roaf

milkman
06-16-2007, 12:21 PM
T-rich was a choice

any decline is debatable about how much the simplified gameplan effecting the ability of the offensive line to do their job.

they lost Roaf

Regardless of whether it's by choice or unexpected, the fact is that T-Rich was a huge loss, especially considering the fact that we gave LJ the ball 410 times.

And the decline in Shields' play isn't debatable.

This style of play isn't any different than Martyball when Shields was dominating.

CupidStunt
06-16-2007, 12:23 PM
what loss of talent?

Losing Roaf is like losing the engine from your Ferrari.

Roaf was (imo by far) the best player on our entire team. That was just a ridiculous hit to the team right before the season.

Deberg_1990
06-16-2007, 12:25 PM

dont forget his starting Pro-Bowl QB in the first game of the season.

Kerberos
06-16-2007, 01:37 PM
Herm has done pretty good in my book with the overaged team he inherited from DV.

This is going to be an interesting year for the Chiefs as the roster has been given IT'S FIRST enema and all the shit like Ryan Sims and Erick Hicks are now someone elses IBS problems!

Herm is on the right track in my opinion. We'll see how his draft and free agents (drafted and undrafted) turn out.

Phobia
06-16-2007, 01:39 PM
As a whole I like Herm..he's trying to bring youth..speed..toughness..and talent to KC..but I have a problem with some of his late-in-the-game calls..or lack of calls....

That's exactly how I feel. Plus the whole trying to fleece the media crap. Then if you don't cow to his methods, he browbeats you into submission. I'm not a big fan of all that garbage but I like what he's doing with the team.

Mr. Laz
06-16-2007, 02:12 PM
Regardless of whether it's by choice or unexpected, the fact is that T-Rich was a huge loss, especially considering the fact that we gave LJ the ball 410 times.

And the decline in Shields' play isn't debatable.

This style of play isn't any different than Martyball when Shields was dominating.
that choice matters if you are discussing it relative to the man that made the choices.

letting Trich go ... signing Turley
signing Priest Holmes ... trading for Trent and Roaf

these all reflect to the Head Coach

i disagree about the style of play .... i think the offensive line goes up and down based on the coaching they receive and the gameplan.

generally offensive players tend to "look" better under offensive head coaches and defensive players better under defensive head coaches.

Hammock Parties
06-16-2007, 02:19 PM
generally offensive players tend to "look" better under offensive head coaches and defensive players better under defensive head coaches.

How do you explain Brian Billick, Marvin Lewis, etc?

Mr. Laz
06-16-2007, 02:23 PM
How do you explain Brian Billick, Marvin Lewis, etc?
generally
adv

Definition: mainly, in most cases

milkman
06-16-2007, 02:27 PM
that choice matters if you are discussing it relative to the man that made the choices.

letting Trich go ... signing Turley
signing Priest Holmes ... trading for Trent and Roaf

these all reflect to the Head Coach

The question you posed was "What loss of talent?"

Regardless of whether it was Heman ****ing Edwards' choice, T-Rich's choice, Carl Peterson's choice, or an act of God, losing T-Rich at full back is a loss of talent at the FB position, and there is no way you can spin to be anything other than that.

i disagree about the style of play .... i think the offensive line goes up and down based on the coaching they receive and the gameplan.

Marty, Tony Dungy, Bill Cowher, Bill Bellichick, John Fox, just off the top of my head are defnsive coaches that always seem to have pretty good or better O-Lines.

You don't like Herman ****ing Edwards.
I get that.

I don't either.
However, I am not going to be blind to facts simply because I don't like the man.

Mr. Laz
06-16-2007, 02:41 PM
The question you posed was "What loss of talent?"

Regardless of whether it was Heman ****ing Edwards' choice, T-Rich's choice, Carl Peterson's choice, or an act of God, losing T-Rich at full back is a loss of talent at the FB position, and there is no way you can spin to be anything other than that.

Marty, Tony Dungy, Bill Cowher, Bill Bellichick, John Fox, just off the top of my head are defnsive coaches that always seem to have pretty good or better O-Lines.

You don't like Herman ****ing Edwards.
I get that.

I don't either.
However, I am not going to be blind to facts simply because I don't like the man.
i'm not trying to spin anything .... just merely pointing out that it all counts in the evaluation process.

we will have to just watch and see if the talent level goes up or down on the offensive side and the defensive side of the ball.

my initial thoughts are that on offense our new players will always seem to struggle and underacheive while on defense they will better and better.

just my initial thoughts though.

Hammock Parties
06-16-2007, 02:49 PM
my initial thoughts are that on offense our new players will always seem to struggle and underacheive while on defense they will better and better.

You do realize that Kris Wilson had more success last year than he ever had under Saunders, right?

Not to mention that Gonzo's numbers went up from the previous year.

Direckshun
06-16-2007, 03:15 PM
When you don't coddle your players, and you open up every position on the field to honest competition, you field a team rather than a collection of supersoft prima donnas.

You didn't see it until Herm ripped the siding off of it, but that's exactly what DV left us. Star studded and soft.

Herm got more production out of backup defensive players last year than DV ever got out of his starters. He got the team to play like a playoff squad without its franchise QB. Putting Wilson at FB was just shy of genius, but it's up there.

Speaking of Wilson, Herm has finally utilized players that we actually acquired under DV but never got any use out of. Fox showed us a good backup LB. Sampson was solid until he got hurt. Wilkerson made a name for himself.

He discovered primo talent in the 7th round and his 6th round WR pick looks like it's going to pan out, too. Save the drafting of Hali, he's completely rebuilt the DL and LB corps in one offseason. That's nothing short of astonishing.

And what's the one position everybody's criticized Herm over recently? OL. You can't give him terribly thin marks there, either, because in a weak FA field for OL, and two weak draft classes, he (and Carl) still managed to snag two starting OTs out of thin air who can hold our line together until the draft or FA gives us something to be happy about.

We have a wealth of young talent everywhere at every position on this team, and almost none of it is boom or bust -- it's all solidified potential that we either make the most out of or not.

I have my beefs with Herm, but there's no doubt in my mind that he's the right coach at the right time. I fully support Herm for the rest of his 4 year tenure.

Will I support him after that? Maybe. But for now, he's got an A from me.

Mr. Laz
06-16-2007, 04:49 PM
You do realize that Kris Wilson had more success last year than he ever had under Saunders, right?

Not to mention that Gonzo's numbers went up from the previous year.
jesus christ ... you pick and choose these little tidbits and then base broad assumption on them.

in general, the offense got weaker

and

in general, the defense got stronger

milkman
06-16-2007, 05:17 PM
i'm not trying to spin anything .... just merely pointing out that it all counts in the evaluation process.

we will have to just watch and see if the talent level goes up or down on the offensive side and the defensive side of the ball.

There is no "evaluation process".

The question was "What loss of talent?"

T-Rich was lost.
That was a "loss of talent"

It's as simple as that.
There aren't any qualifiers.

FAX
06-16-2007, 05:26 PM
For my part, I thought that the loss of our kidney was bad on a lot of levels ... receiving option out of the backfield, blocking, lockerroom leadership, LJ monitor, etc.

I still think letting him go was a mistake.

FAX