PDA

View Full Version : Gretz: Solari getting ready for 2nd season

Buehler445
06-15-2007, 01:25 PM
I didn't see this one posted here yet. Sorry if it is a Repost. It sounds like Solari knows he flubbed against Indy. Hopefully he is taking the steps to FIX IT.

GRETZ: Motivation for the Offense
Jun 15, 2007, 11:54:08 AM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

Indianapolis 23, Chiefs 8.

Total offensive output: 126 yards. One touchdown scored. Seven total first downs, the first one not coming until the third quarter. Four sacks allowed. Three turnovers.

It was a nightmare ending to the 2006 season for the Chiefs offense.

More than six months later, it really hasn’t come to an end for Mike Solari.

“It’s still a thorn in my side,” Solari said. “It hurts. I felt I let the players down. You feel like you let the city down. You let Herman (Edwards) down, Carl (Peterson), the whole Hunt family. We weren’t able to make plays. We go three and out, three and out. We were not playing the way we were capable of playing and that’s what hurts the most.”

If the fire burns in the Chiefs returning for the 2007 season the way it does in Solari, then the pain of the Indianapolis loss will create a positive.

“Without a doubt, it is motivation,” Solari said. “Something is wrong if its not. You never want to end a season like that. That’s something I truly believe will be a catalyst going into this season.”

Last year was Solari’s first as a play caller and Edwards was pleased with the job that his former college teammate did with the offense in a transitional season.

“After you have that first year under your belt, you have a different perspective,” Edwards said. “You realize how you wasted so much energy worrying about things you didn’t need to worry about, things that will take care of themselves.

“Obviously he’ll have a better feel for calling plays this year than he did last year, because he had never done it before. You are talking about a first-year offensive coordinator who had never been an offensive coordinator before. He got us in the playoffs. That’s hard to do.

“He did a very good job and he’s going to be a much better coordinator this year.”

Edwards hasn’t made year No. 2 any easier for Solari. It’s another year of transition for the offense, with the coordinator trying to juggle old and new.

“We have three new offensive linemen (left and right tackle, right guard) and the quarterback is in question; who that’s going to be?” said Solari. “The receiver situation … there are going to be a lot of new starters and a lot of new people with a lot of new roles. It’s going to be different, so we have to be efficient and get that group working together.”

Brodie Croyle and Damon Huard are in a highly publicized competition to be the starting quarterback. Because there’s such a difference in their experience levels – Huard in his 11th season, Croyle in his second – some adjustments must be made in the workload to favor the younger guy.

The head coach wants to find out if the second-year quarterback can play. To do that, Croyle must get a lot of time in OTA practices and coming up in training camp. Yet, Solari is trying to get the whole offense put together.

Is it a difficult line to walk?

“Yes it is,” said Solari. “In OTAs prior to this, that’s not something that has been a concern. You were putting your offense in and you were not thinking about the quarterback. Now, the key is you want to make sure that it’s geared towards the quarterback, and especially the young quarterback.

“We will probably not be able to install the offense like we have before, so it’s got to be geared more to the development of the quarterback position. That’s the starting point.”

Despite the continued transition Solari feels more relaxed and more in command in this second season at the controls of the Chiefs offense.

“Your preparation and your time is much more efficient,” said Solari. “It was a little bit more time demanding as far as the preparation of the game plan and scripting. There was more paper work that I initially thought. You grow and you learn how to be more efficient in coordinating the offense. You just have to be able to adjust on the move.

“Every time was the first time. Now, you have better expectations on how things could occur and how you have to be prepared in those situations.”

Those expectations for Solari include being able to make up for that disastrous trip to the playoffs.

“It starts with the pre-season games,” said Solari. “There has to be more of a sense of urgency in preparation and being efficient. When they go out there, you are looking for the No. 1 offense to be effective; it doesn’t matter that they are on the road and in a different environment for instance. You have to be able to lock in and move the chains.”

Hammock Parties
06-15-2007, 01:48 PM
I'm interested to see what Solari does this year....this offense is basically his brainchild...it's not going to be a carbon copy of Al's for sure.

Reerun_KC
06-15-2007, 02:03 PM
Brodie Croyle and Damon Huard are in a highly publicized competition to be the starting quarterback. Because there’s such a difference in their experience levels – Huard in his 11th season, Croyle in his second

What competition? No Way Huard should be in competition with anyone, He is a back period.. Croyle is the man, if not we are in big, big trouble this season... Were not playing the NFCW for Huard agian...

Sure-Oz
06-15-2007, 02:06 PM
Brodie Croyle and Damon Huard are in a highly publicized competition to be the starting quarterback. Because there’s such a difference in their experience levels – Huard in his 11th season, Croyle in his second

What competition? No Way Huard should be in competition with anyone, He is a back period.. Croyle is the man, if not we are in big, big trouble this season... Were not playing the NFCW for Huard agian...
It's Brodie's job to lose. I assume he will be a manager of the game.

shaneo69
06-15-2007, 03:34 PM
Edwards hasn’t made year No. 2 any easier for Solari. It’s another year of transition for the offense, with the coordinator trying to juggle old and new.

Cool----now that the defense is finally set after 7 years of flux, the offense is right on track in year two of it's "7 year transition plan".