PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Football : How did you become a fan?

pr_capone
06-15-2007, 01:27 PM
I moved to Wichita at the age of 12 from Puerto Rico not knowing that football even existed. Over in PR, the only sport that exists is baseball and, to a lesser extent, basketball.

One day at a grocery store (Albertsons), they had a raffle for $100 in groceries, a Radio Flyer wagon, and 2 tickets to a Chiefs game. We were dirt ass poor at the time so I entered the raffle but I did not realize that you had to be 18 to enter.

About a week later I get a phone call from the store manager letting me know that I had won the raffle! I was extremely excited because I was able to get some groceries for the family and the wagon for my little brother... TBH, I did not give a flying f*ck about the Chiefs tickets. LMFAO

The guy told me though that he would have to give the prize to someone else because I was not 18 yet and I started bawling (hey dammit... I was 12). He asked if he could speak with a parent. he did and the guy was nice enough to change the winning ticket into my mom's name and we got to keep everything.

Come December, my step-dad and I head out to KC to catch the game. My first game ever was the Chiefs vs the Broncos, week 17. We were in the most nose-bleed section possible at Arrowhead and the weather was terrible.

I don't think I had ever had so much fun in my life. Hearing Arrowhead simply ROAR as KC pounded the living shit out of the Broncos was amazing. KC wins the game 42-20. After the game, we waited by the tunnel and Christian Okoye autographed his rookie card for me.

After that, I was a fan for life. :D

BIG_DADDY
06-15-2007, 01:29 PM
Born there and raised in Oregon. They were who I related to ever since I can remember.

irishjayhawk
06-15-2007, 01:30 PM
Born in KC. Enough said.

Crashride
06-15-2007, 01:32 PM
Was never really into football until I saw tony gonzo play then I was hooked.

El Jefe
06-15-2007, 01:36 PM
Born in Ohio parents bought me this sweet jacket but it wasnt of anybody good, it was of the Chiefs. I was like 7 years old, I liked the Chiefs colors and the Chief symbol and ever since then its been all like A.

jidar
06-15-2007, 01:39 PM
wow, that's a good story.

For me.. just being born in the area I guess.

My friends were picking teams they liked in Tecmo Super Bowl and I figured I needed one and it made sense in my mind to support the home team.

Plus I got pissed at the kid who always picked the Raiders so he could be Bo Jackson. I hated the Raiders, Chiefs hated the Raiders, seemed like a good fit.

JBucc
06-15-2007, 01:40 PM
I was borned with it sadly. They say there's no cure.

ChiefsfaninPA
06-15-2007, 01:46 PM
When I was in third grade my mom took me and my brothers to the Salvation Army for school shopping. I found a Los Angeles Rams and a Kansas City t-shirt. I didn't like the Chiefs shirt because it had too much red and at that age I was afraid of blood and equated the shirt to blood. But I picked both of the shirts anyways because they had football teams on them. I don't remember exactly when it happened but my older brother adopted the Rams shirt and I was "stuck" with the Chiefs shirt. So when I wore the shirt people who ask me if they were my favorite team and I would reply of course. After awhile I started getting flack from the Eagles and Steelers fans because of my team. But then I would catch some of the Chiefs games on NBC or wait until Mondays paper and see how they did for the weekend. So in all honesty it was a $.25 shirt and defending "my team" that morphed me into a Chiefs fan. After awhile it was sort of cool to be the rebellious non-Steelers or Eagles fan in my area. And the rest..................

afchiefs
06-15-2007, 01:52 PM
Good Story,

As a kid I would go to liberty some years and watch training camp. I use to have a autograph book with all the old great players in it, but alas it has disappeared. I think whenever a kid gets interested in football (age 7-14) whatever team is good is the teams they become fans of, but that can be changed. My son-in-law grewup liking the cowboys but I got him to switch after watching the chiefs for a couple of years.

Buehler445
06-15-2007, 01:54 PM
I listened to them all the time on the tractor in Western Kansas and they were always on. In case you were wondering what else is on the radio in Western Kansas it consists of the following:

Ag reports and Rush Limbaugh
Country Music (a 10 song CD on repeat)
Oldes (a 4 song CD on repeat)

When I finally climbed off the tractor I started watching the games religiously. Even when they are not the most successful, they are still very classy. That is what made me stick with them through thick and thin.

Hammock Parties
06-15-2007, 01:55 PM
My first love:

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/3721/montanasc4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Archie Bunker
06-15-2007, 01:58 PM
My uncle lived in Grandview and he gave me a Chiefs Hutch football uniform for Christmas. I think I was 7 and it had Bill Kenney's number on it. From that moment on I was hooked. I still have the helmet and jersey hanging on my wall.

kcxiv
06-15-2007, 02:00 PM
Found out the Rams were leaving LA. I was a huge Eric Dickerson fan as a kid. When i found out the Rams were leaving, i had to find a new team. By this time i hated all the Cali football teams. So, i think i seen a Chiefs game and loved Christian Okoye's running style, and Derrick Thomas's rushing style. Made the switch. Probably a bad call on my part, but i still love it. lol

MOhillbilly
06-15-2007, 02:02 PM
born in KC to a football fanatic family.

Hammock Parties
06-15-2007, 02:02 PM
Found out the Rams were leaving LA. I was a huge Eric Dickerson fan as a kid. When i found out the Rams were leaving, i had to find a new team. By this time i hated all the Cali football teams. So, i think i seen a Chiefs game and loved Christian Okoye's running style, and Derrick Thomas's rushing style. Made the switch. Probably a bad call on my part, but i still love it. lol

Hey iv, how do you compare LJ and Dickerson?

seclark
06-15-2007, 02:04 PM
st.louis football cardinals pos owner bidwill moves the team to arizona. i switched to the chiefs, and stayed.
sec

kcxiv
06-15-2007, 02:11 PM
Hey iv, how do you compare LJ and Dickerson?
LJ is an Animal, ED was a gazelle. ED was just so SMOOOTH. WHen he ran, it look effortlessly.

Hammock Parties
06-15-2007, 02:13 PM
LJ is an Animal, ED was a gazelle. ED was just so SMOOOTH. WHen he ran, it look effortlessly.

So basically Ed was like a bigger version of Marcus Allen?

Sure-Oz
06-15-2007, 02:14 PM
About 1992 i started learning the game, been a fan since. DT and Neil Smith along with Deberg were my favorites.

pr_capone
06-15-2007, 02:17 PM
About 1992 i started learning the game, been a fan since. DT and Neil Smith along with Deberg were my favorites.

Yup.... Okoye on O and Saleamua on D were my favorites. :D

Rooster
06-15-2007, 02:17 PM
st.louis football cardinals pos owner bidwill moves the team to arizona. i switched to the chiefs, and stayed.
sec

You were damned if you do and damned if you don't on that one. :)

Dartgod
06-15-2007, 02:21 PM
I bought season tickets in 1990. Everything before that was irrelevant.

alpha_omega
06-15-2007, 02:23 PM
Born in KC...Chiefs fan ever since i can remember.

kcxiv
06-15-2007, 02:23 PM
So basically Ed was like a bigger version of Marcus Allen?
I would have to say Marcus was a smaller version of Dickerson. ED>Allen.

ROYC75
06-15-2007, 02:25 PM
I SAY, I SAY THIS IS AN OLD REPOST , A REPOST I SAY.......

FTR, like last time, became a fan when they moved from Dallas and watched a game in Municipal as a kid .

Stewie
06-15-2007, 02:28 PM
As a little tyke growing up here, the Chiefs won a Super Bowl. I don't remember much about it except that my parents had a Super Bowl party so I knew something was going on. I've been waiting to host my own Chiefs' SB party.

greg63
06-15-2007, 02:30 PM
I grew up in a Chiefs lovin home so I've been a fan pretty much since birth.

FAX
06-15-2007, 02:30 PM
As a child, I suffered a hard blow to the head.

FAX

ZootedGranny
06-15-2007, 02:34 PM
My dad took me to the Jets game back in '88. The Chiefs being what they were at the time, we sat in the first row of the endzone and I had a blast, even if I was only 6 years old and had little grasp of what was going on.

Carlota69
06-15-2007, 02:34 PM
Born and raised in the LA area. I was born into a baseball family, no one watched football. When I was really young there was nothing on Sundays but football, so I taught myself the game. In LA all we had was the Rams and I didnt like them--so I picked the Saints. I was 7 years old and I liked their colors. As I grew up, I had no real passion for the team, and of course they sucked. But I held on until I moved to Fresno Ca in 1991. There I became friends with a HUGE Chiefs fan and I hung out with Stephone Page quite a bit. After watching the Chiefs kick the crap out of Denver, And I hated Elway more than anyone in football, I became a very passionate fan. I havent looked back since. I dont even have an inkling of passion for the Saints. Even when they were in the playoffs last year, I could care less. Funny...

Stewie
06-15-2007, 02:36 PM
Born and raised in the LA area. I was born into a baseball family, no one watched football. When I was really young there was nothing on Sundays but football, so I taught myself the game. In LA all we had was the Rams and I didnt like them--so I picked the Saints. I was 7 years old and I liked their colors. As I grew up, I had no real passion for the team, and of course they sucked. But I held on until I moved to Fresno Ca in 1991. There I became friends with a HUGE Chiefs fan and I hung out with Stephone Page quite a bit. After watching the Chiefs kick the crap out of Denver, And I hated Elway more than anyone in football, I became a very passionate fan. I havent looked back since. I dont even have an inkling of passion for the Saints. Even when they were in the playoffs last year, I could care less. Funny...

You kick ass, girl!

Planetman
06-15-2007, 02:39 PM
What an odd question.

How long have I been a fan?

All my life.

Go Chiefs!

Sincerely,
http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2f0j00rITQELEtcaGMM/Floor-Fan.jpg
The Fan

Carlota69
06-15-2007, 02:43 PM
You kick ass, girl!

LOl--Thanks, I have a good time :)

TinyEvel
06-15-2007, 02:45 PM
(from the first thread I posted here....)

Well, I never grew up watching football. My dad would rather watch JEOPARDY than any sport. But when I graduated college and was thrown into an office chock full of Dockers-wearing, cigar-smokin' NFL freaks, I had to get involved. So I turned on the TV to watch some football.
I saw the AFC divisional playoff game, KC vs. Houston.
The KC quarterback was Joe Montana, whom I recognized as the SF guy who won those bunch of Superbowls.
So, I started rooting for his team.
Well "we" upset the Oilers, in a really great game, to advance to the AFC championships.

The spirit and excitement the Chiefs showed on the field that day to upset the Oilers instantly drew me to the team. The next day I was at my local Champs Sports buying the red KC cap which I still wear (much to my wife's dismay, it's a bit cruddy after all these years, but it smells like....victory). And I've been treated to exciting games (when I can get them) ever since.

So, this weekend will be an especially sweet victory for me.
Though not an upset, it will be a reminder why, twelve years ago, I donned the red cap and haven't turned back. And never will.

--tinyE

kcxiv
06-15-2007, 02:51 PM
Fresno. hehe. I live in Merced. But good story :)

Dartgod
06-15-2007, 02:51 PM
(from the first thread I posted here....)

Well, I never grew up watching football. My dad would rather watch JEOPARDY than any sport. But when I graduated college and was thrown into an office chock full of Dockers-wearing, cigar-smokin' NFL freaks, I had to get involved. So I turned on the TV to watch some football.
I saw the AFC divisional playoff game, KC vs. Houston.
The KC quarterback was Joe Montana, whom I recognized as the SF guy who won those bunch of Superbowls.
So, I started rooting for his team.
Well "we" upset the Oilers, in a really great game, to advance to the AFC championships.

The spirit and excitement the Chiefs showed on the field that day to upset the Oilers instantly drew me to the team. The next day I was at my local Champs Sports buying the red KC cap which I still wear (much to my wife's dismay, it's a bit cruddy after all these years, but it smells like....victory). And I've been treated to exciting games (when I can get them) ever since.

So, this weekend will be an especially sweet victory for me.
Though not an upset, it will be a reminder why, twelve years ago, I donned the red cap and haven't turned back. And never will.

--tinyE
So, basically, the Chiefs haven't won a playoff game since you bought that hat?

chasedude
06-15-2007, 03:04 PM
Been a Chiefs Fan for as long as I remember. I grew up in St. Joseph cussing out the long winded preacher to get us home in time to watch the Chiefs on Sunday!

The Franchise
06-15-2007, 03:13 PM
My first love:

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/3721/montanasc4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I hate to say it...but I'm exactly the same. I came over with Joe Montana. When I was a kid I was a fan of the 49ers because I was a HUGE fan of Montana. When they traded him...it pissed me off beyond belief. When I found out he was traded to the Chiefs....I threw away all of my 49ers crap and went out and got Chiefs stuff. I've been a fan ever since.

RJ
06-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Some good stories here.

I became a Chiefs fan after SB I. I turned 8 that day and was interested in the game because I was living in Lacrosse, Wis., and had just moved there from KC, Ks. so I had rooting interest in both teams. That game turned me into a football fan and a Chiefs fan. I also rooted for the Packers and the Cardinals but that eventually faded.

The twin pinnacles of my sports fandom were the Chiefs victory in SB IV and the Maryland NCAA tourney championship.

My favorite football player ever was Otis Taylor. That will never change. Otis Taylor brought much happiness into my childhood.

Oddly, I haven't set foot in Kansas City since I was ten and I have never been to a Chiefs game. Rooting for a sports franchise is irrational, to say the least, but there sure are a lot of us who do it.

Logical
06-15-2007, 04:48 PM
Interesting story, how did you come to have a Christian Okoye rookie card for him to sign?

Redcoats58
06-15-2007, 04:49 PM
Born in K.C. also, as you all know that live in K.C. come football season that city lives and dies by the Chiefs. Even though they haven't done jack in decades I wouldn't want to be a fan of another football team. As corny as this might sound this teams triumphs and failures most closely relate to my own life.

L.A. Chieffan
06-15-2007, 04:50 PM
Born and raised in L.A.
Both of my parents grew up in the KC area and moved here in the early 70's. So I got the love from my Dad rooting for the Chiefs since I was little.
My Grandparents still live in Belton so I try and get back for at least one game a year, along with the SD game.

Micjones
06-15-2007, 04:51 PM
Born and raised in Kansas City, MO.

sd4chiefs
06-15-2007, 04:52 PM
Watched Super Bowl I when I was 10.

Redcoats58
06-15-2007, 04:57 PM
So, basically, the Chiefs haven't won a playoff game since you bought that hat?
Lol, thats hilarious. That is the first thing that came to my mind when he brought up the hat. So tiny is the reason the Chiefs are jinxed lol.

pr_capone
06-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Interesting story, how did you come to have a Christian Okoye rookie card for him to sign?

Buddy of mine from church gave me the card for him to sign if I could. When I came back with it signed, he let me keep it.

WARPARTY70
06-15-2007, 05:06 PM
Born in KC My dad would take me to watch them practice when they trained off of 63th St.

kcxiv
06-15-2007, 07:20 PM
I hate to say it...but I'm exactly the same. I came over with Joe Montana. When I was a kid I was a fan of the 49ers because I was a HUGE fan of Montana. When they traded him...it pissed me off beyond belief. When I found out he was traded to the Chiefs....I threw away all of my 49ers crap and went out and got Chiefs stuff. I've been a fan ever since.
I hated Joe with a passion becuase he used to kill the Rams when they were in L.A i had no choice but to like him. lol

Logical
06-15-2007, 07:33 PM
Buddy of mine from church gave me the card for him to sign if I could. When I came back with it signed, he let me keep it.

He was a good friend. Excellent story thanks again for sharing.

CoMoChief
06-15-2007, 07:42 PM
I loved Christian Okoye and Derrick Thomas back in the day. Those 2 got me hooked. Before then I was a Bears fan simply because my parents were HUGE Bears fans being from Chicago.

gblowfish
06-15-2007, 08:42 PM
Chiefs Huddle Club, Municipal Stadium, 1966.
Dad got season tickets in 1965.
My family has had season tickets for 42 years.

CoMoChief
06-15-2007, 08:47 PM
Chiefs Huddle Club, Municipal Stadium, 1966.
Dad got season tickets in 1965.
My family has had season tickets for 42 years.

btw I love your Carl Peterson web page.