PDA

View Full Version : Job change opportunity...

luv
06-18-2007, 06:19 PM
There is an assistant supervisor position open on our overnight shift. It's in another area, but I know how to do everything here. I'm unsure about adjusting my schedule, but I would love to have my nights free. Any of you third shifters have any helpful tips for adjusting my sleep schedule? I think I'm going to put my name in for it.

Bwana
06-18-2007, 06:43 PM
It will take you about a week.......good luck.

greg63
06-18-2007, 06:44 PM
Stay up all night the day before you change shifts; sleep all day and, just get through that first shift. Keep your bed room as dark as possible. Oh, turn off the ringer on your phone.

greg63
06-18-2007, 06:45 PM
It will take you about a week.......good luck.

...At least.

Predarat
06-18-2007, 06:47 PM
I worked third shift for two and a half years. Its something I never truly adjusted to, I just kind of got used to it. Try to get at least one solid four hour period in during a 24 hour period then nap up when you need to. The best thing to do is try to sleep at the same time every day even if you are not working. I never could do that. You do get used to it though.

Donger
06-18-2007, 06:48 PM
There is an assistant supervisor position open on our overnight shift. It's in another area, but I know how to do everything here. I'm unsure about adjusting my schedule, but I would love to have my nights free. Any of you third shifters have any helpful tips for adjusting my sleep schedule? I think I'm going to put my name in for it.

Nights free for an overnight shift?

luv
06-18-2007, 07:02 PM
Nights free for an overnight shift?
I would sleep during the day. I'm usually up until 3-4AM each night anyway. My apartment is a partial basement unit. My bedroom only has half of a window, so it tends to be darker in there anyway.

I'd be getting a quarter raise for differential, and I would have evenings free to go out if, heaven forbid, someone were to ask me out. I'm so joining a gym. I've been tossing around the thought of finding a new job, anyway. This way, I'd still be doing what I know, and I'll be making more money instead of starting elsewhere for less.

Donger
06-18-2007, 07:04 PM
I would sleep during the day. I'm usually up until 3-4AM each night anyway. My apartment is a partial basement unit. My bedroom only has half of a window, so it tends to be darker in there anyway.

I'd be getting a quarter raise for differential, and I would have evenings free to go out if, heaven forbid, someone were to ask me out. I'm so joining a gym. I've been tossing around the thought of finding a new job, anyway. This way, I'd still be doing what I know, and I'll be making more money instead of starting elsewhere for less.

Seems rational.

luv
06-18-2007, 07:09 PM
Seems rational.
Believe it or not, I can be. :)

Dunit35
06-18-2007, 07:13 PM
You should do what my father does.

Week 1: mornings 8-4
Week 2: evenings 4-12
Week 3: overnights 12-8

Repeat year round.

Bugeater
06-18-2007, 07:28 PM
I tried an overnight maintenance shift at a hotel once and never got used to it. I ended up getting fired for sleeping on the job.

ChiefFan31
06-18-2007, 07:45 PM

That sounds good and all, but you would pretty much be living life as a zombie. Unless your used to always only getting 4-5 hours of sleep. or sleep a few hours here, and a couple of hours there.

If all your getting is a .25 shift differential raise, it might not be worth it. There is a difference between being awake at your place at 3-4 in the morning and being at work during those times.

If you can get used to it, it can be nice, just be careful is what I am saying.

Demonpenz
06-18-2007, 07:47 PM
there is a bar in st joe called hammerheads all the over night people get off work at like 9 in the morning from factory workers and they are like banging on the door to get their "night" started.

luv
06-18-2007, 07:48 PM
That sounds good and all, but you would pretty much be living life as a zombie. Unless your used to always only getting 4-5 hours of sleep. or sleep a few hours here, and a couple of hours there.

If all your getting is a .25 shift differential raise, it might not be worth it. There is a difference between being awake at your place at 3-4 in the morning and being at work during those times.

If you can get used to it, it can be nice, just be careful is what I am saying.
I supervised an overnight shift here about 6-7 years ago. I got burnt out on it because I would work my shift, and then stay half the day to talk to Accounting, HR, etc about questions my employees had. I believe that whoever gets it will be given a 4 week trial period to make sure it's the shift they want.

ChiefFan31
06-18-2007, 07:58 PM
I supervised an overnight shift here about 6-7 years ago. I got burnt out on it because I would work my shift, and then stay half the day to talk to Accounting, HR, etc about questions my employees had. I believe that whoever gets it will be given a 4 week trial period to make sure it's the shift they want.

Okay, so you know what I am talking about. We have a couple of guys here in my department on 3rd shift that are used to it, plus they do get a shift differential as well. I would just want a bigger raise to do something like that, but I hear what your saying about actually being able to go out on weeknights with friends and what not. I am on second shift myself.

luv
06-18-2007, 08:00 PM
Okay, so you know what I am talking about. We have a couple of guys here in my department on 3rd shift that are used to it, plus they do get a shift differential as well. I would just want a bigger raise to do something like that, but I hear what your saying about actually being able to go out on weeknights with friends and what not. I am on second shift myself.
Doesn't it suck? I've worked it for three years now. Trying to get out there into the social scene. It's been very frustrating as of late. If I don't get it, I won't be upset, though. Just disappointed.

ferrarispider95
06-18-2007, 08:20 PM
What do you do for a living?

tmax63
06-18-2007, 08:27 PM
Hell, the good parties don't start til midnight anyway. I always liked swing shift better than nights because you could go out after work if you wished, sleep til 2 pm and still have time to take care of business if needed. The main thing is just to get a routine down as much as possible and stick to it. You'll be getting used to it in a few days but you won't feel real good for a 2-3 weeks until you fully adjust.

luv
06-18-2007, 09:05 PM
Scan medical records. Right now I'm over the scan/rework departments. I'll be going to validation. They go through the images to make sure they meet quality standards and index documents.

plbrdude
06-18-2007, 09:10 PM
if i had to work at night my preference would be 2nd shift. but then again i don't have need of a social life.

ChiefFan31
06-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Doesn't it suck? I've worked it for three years now. Trying to get out there into the social scene. It's been very frustrating as of late. If I don't get it, I won't be upset, though. Just disappointed.

Well, it has its good points and bad points. I love being able to sleep in, and I love being the captain on second shift, without people around buggin me. I work Sunday through Thursday nights, so I am able to go out on Friday and Sat nights.

The stuff that sucks when say a friend of mine has a birthday and his wife invites a bunch of people to a restaurant and its like Tuesday. I have friends that meet on wednesday night for happy hour, which I can never make. Those are the times when its a bummer, but for now this is good for me.

BigMeatballDave
06-19-2007, 02:34 AM
You should do it, luv. Working 2nd sucks ass! I miss working 3rd. It frees up your evenings, much like working 1st. I currently work 3p-3:30a.

BigMeatballDave
06-19-2007, 02:35 AM
You should do what my father does.

Week 1: mornings 8-4
Week 2: evenings 4-12
Week 3: overnights 12-8

Repeat year round.Jesus!
:shake:

BigMeatballDave
06-19-2007, 02:38 AM

If you can get used to it, it can be nice, just be careful is what I am saying.Eh, if she is up til 4a, I would imagine she sleeps til 11 or 12. I go to bed around 5:30 and get up around noon...

06-19-2007, 02:39 AM
Room darkening shades and fans for some white noise. Mute the phones and answering machine. If you can, turn off the doorbell if you have one.

Oh, and sleep as soon as you walk in the door.

BigMeatballDave
06-19-2007, 02:43 AM
Oh, and sleep as soon as you walk in the door.Oh, I could never do that. The last 3rd shift job I had was 10-6. I went to bed at 9 and got up at 3.

06-19-2007, 02:49 AM
Oh, I could never do that. The last 3rd shift job I had was 10-6. I went to bed at 9 and got up at 3.
I am down by 7:30 and up by 2:30

SPchief
06-19-2007, 03:09 AM
A set schedule would be nice

KCChiefsMan
06-19-2007, 09:25 AM
I've changed hours before, I've never worked an overnights, but went from working 4pm-midnight to 5am to 2pm to 8am-6pm. The first few days sucked, but no matter how tempted the best thing for me was NO NAPS! then eventually ya get used to it

ChiTown
06-19-2007, 09:29 AM

I'm in Propane Sales.....and accessories.

Planetman
06-19-2007, 09:55 AM
I'm in Propane Sales.....and accessories.
Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Hill.

StcChief
06-19-2007, 11:16 AM
the $0.25/hr doesn't seem worth while.
Moving to a different area to help you round your career step up later maybe, be the team player. Mgmt looks at that as well.

kc rush
06-19-2007, 12:37 PM
I worked night stock at Price Chopper during a couple of summer and Christmas breaks while I was in college. My dad has worked an overnight shift at the KC Star for over 40 years; I figured that if he could do it I could too.

I had absolutely no social life since my friends were going out about the time I was going in to work (10PM), but that didn’t really matter too much since I was really po’ at the time.

I got used to a schedule of coming home after work, having a bite to eat then sleeping all day. I’d then have dinner with the family, spend a couple of hours for free time then head off to work again.

By the way, the freaks really do come out at night.

luv
06-19-2007, 12:45 PM
I'd be working a 11:45PM-7AM shift with a long night on Sunday night/Monday morning.

Stewie
06-19-2007, 12:57 PM
I don't know how you do it luv. I worked a 3-11:30 shift during my skool daze and it tore me up. Plus I missed all the parties on Friday and everyone was partied out on Saturday when I was ready to go.

It makes sense to me if it's more money and it works better schedule-wise.

luv
06-19-2007, 01:11 PM
I don't know how you do it luv. I worked a 3-11:30 shift during my skool daze and it tore me up. Plus I missed all the parties on Friday and everyone was partied out on Saturday when I was ready to go.

It makes sense to me if it's more money and it works better schedule-wise.
Done it for three years now. I needed the money at the time, and didn't have a life anyway. I'm trying to get back out into the social scene. Done a lot of self-improvement, and I'm happier when I'm social. It's time for a change.

luv
06-19-2007, 05:03 PM
I've discovered one little glitch. I'm currently interested in the assistant on overnight shift that does the job that I'm doing now on my shift. If I go to that shift, I wouldn't be able to persue that since we would then answer to the same supervisor. Kinda sucks, but I still think it would be worth it in the long run.

Dunit35
06-19-2007, 07:15 PM
Jesus!
:shake:

Yeah I'm pretty sure he hates it but he gets amazing benefits and a lot of paid vacation.