PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Baseball Move

dtrain
06-18-2007, 08:14 PM
Weeks returns from DL; Gwynn demoted

June 18, 2007

MILWAUKEE (AP) -- Rickie Weeks returned from the 15-day disabled list on Monday before the Milwaukee Brewers started a three-game series with the San Francisco Giants.

Weeks was hitting .243 with five homers and 16 RBIs as the Brewers' leadoff hitter, but had struggled with soreness in his right wrist due to scar tissue breaking up from season-ending surgery last yea
Manager Ned Yost said Weeks would initially bat eighth because of Corey Hart's recent production in the leadoff slot.

"We want Rickie in that lineup, but Corey's really been doing a nice job and because (Weeks) didn't have the benefit of a rehab to sharpen up, we'll start there and see what happens," Yost said. "We can do a lot of things that we like to do" with Weeks batting eighth.

Weeks was placed on the disabled list May 30 and flew to Phoenix to be evaluated by Dr. Don Sheridan, who operated last year to fix a tendon that was snapping out of place. The team said Sheridan confirmed the area he operated on was stable and that the second baseman had tendinitis.

Weeks received a cortisone injection in the tendon sheath of his wrist to alleviate the pain and was held out of baseball activities for several days.

Yost has said Weeks likely will have soreness at times throughout the season after first injuring the wrist wagging a bat in the dugout on July 25.

In a corresponding roster move, the Brewers optioned Tony Gwynn Jr. to Triple-A Nashville. Gwynn made the team out of spring training but had been used sparingly.

Gwynn hit .301 in 68 at-bats. The leadoff prospect also stole six bases and was 6-for-19, with four of his eight RBIs as a pinch hitter.

"I don't really look at this as Tony getting sent down to Triple-A, even though he's getting sent down to Triple-A," Yost said. "I'm looking at it that he's going down to get himself on track and get some at-bats and be ready to help us again in the near future."

If i was manager i believe Weeks would be at triple A!

RJ
06-18-2007, 10:01 PM
Weeks is probably the best player of the three if he's healthy but he's been hurt much of this season. Gwynn player should end up being a nice 4th OF type eventually, maybe better if he's able to get on base regularly and use his speed. I think sending him to AAA is in his and the team's best interest.

cookster50
06-19-2007, 06:36 AM
Why is it wierd? Are you saying Gwynn Jr should be starting and not Weeks? Weeks = 2B, Gwynn Jr = OF. Gwynn Jr != 2B.

Sully
06-19-2007, 07:09 AM
Is Corey Hart still wearing his sunglasses at night?

The Rick
06-19-2007, 08:56 AM
Wow...can't believe a Chiefs board of all places has a post about my hometown Brewers. :)

If Ned Yost puts Weeks back in the leadoff spot and removes Corey Hart, this town will go ape****. Fans have been clamoring to see Hart in the leadoff spot and since he's been there, he's produced big time.

Ned is already treading on thin ice in the fans eyes around here...

StcChief
06-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Wow...can't believe a Chiefs board of all places has a post about my hometown Brewers. :)

If Ned Yost puts Weeks back in the leadoff spot and removes Corey Hart, this town will go ape****. Fans have been clamoring to see Hart in the leadoff spot and since he's been there, he's produced big time.

Ned is already treading on thin ice in the fans eyes around here...

Setting back waiting for Brewers to fold in 2nd half.... Hopefully Cards pitching comes around with Carp back.

Sure-Oz
06-19-2007, 11:23 AM
Yovani Gallardo and Braun better light it up for my fantasy team.

BigMeatballDave
06-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Is Corey Hart still wearing his sunglasses at night?LMAO

dtrain
06-19-2007, 12:18 PM
Why is it wierd? Are you saying Gwynn Jr should be starting and not Weeks? Weeks = 2B, Gwynn Jr = OF. Gwynn Jr != 2B.

Just saying Weeks should have been sent to Triple A to get some work in. And the managers statement about Gwynn going down sounds like he wasn't producing.