PDA

View Full Version : Law Degree Poll

DenverChief
06-19-2007, 12:27 AM
I know we have some paralegals/lawyers/judges on here I was just curious how many of what type of law degree we have here?

poll forth coming

Mr. Kotter
06-19-2007, 12:57 AM
I teach HS Government and History. And would consider myself a "strict" constructionist.

I think that qualifies me as a Supreme Court Justice, don't you agree?

;)

ChiefsfaninPA
06-19-2007, 04:47 AM
What f#ck*$g judge posts on this board? No wonder the American Judicial System is so f#$cked, their is some judge posting on Chiefsplanet all day.

06-19-2007, 04:55 AM
How many do probono work for CP members?

ZepSinger
06-19-2007, 06:16 AM
There was that Skye221 fellow. You know, the 'top-10 law school graduate' gentleman. What a humble, personable guy he was.

No, wait- he was a dick.

Z

StcChief
06-19-2007, 08:30 AM
I teach HS Government and History. And would consider myself a "strict" constructionist.

I think that qualifies me as a Supreme Court Justice, don't you agree?

;)

Maybe somewhere Appeals Court. Can't be any worse than the legislators on the bench

Rain Man
06-19-2007, 09:40 AM
What f#ck*$g judge posts on this board? No wonder the American Judicial System is so f#$cked, their is some judge posting on Chiefsplanet all day.

Why do you think I'm doing all these polls? People's lives are in the balance, and I don't want that responsibility all by myself.

Planetman
06-19-2007, 09:53 AM
I refuse to touch DenverChief's poll!

Amnorix
06-19-2007, 11:30 AM
JD, but if I could go back in time I probably would've done JD/MBA.

Phobia
06-19-2007, 12:23 PM
I see that I'm the only JD & PhD on the Planet. You guys are a bunch of loosers.

Hammock Parties
06-19-2007, 01:07 PM
Does anyone here have an MBA?

DaFace
06-19-2007, 01:09 PM
Does anyone here have an MBA?

Yep.

Eric
06-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Look in the yellow pages. everyone's a f-ing lawyer.

Sue,Sue,Sue.

Simply Red
06-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Look in the yellow pages. everyone's a f-ing lawyer.

Sue,Sue,Sue.

I could almost sue you for encouraging that. :rolleyes:

Anyong Bluth
06-19-2007, 01:28 PM
I'm debating on jumping over to commercial real estate, getting the ropes in it and w/ my JD I can do all the contracts and legal work. Just don't know if I can afford to take such a big pay cut when I start out at the bottom, even though it has a pay potential to be much much more than working for a firm.

Any one have any info, experience in this area? Looking for any suggestions, advice.

Should have gotten a Biz Admin degree in undergrad.

eazyb81
06-19-2007, 01:49 PM
I'm starting an MBA/JD program this fall.

irishjayhawk
06-19-2007, 01:51 PM
I'm starting an MBA/JD program this fall.

I'm strongly considering this as well, but won't be until later. Any advice?

eazyb81
06-19-2007, 01:57 PM

Not really - like I said, I haven't even started yet. The one thing I've heard over and over is that you should make sure you truly need both to do what you want to do; many times people get the joint degree when they only need an MBA or a JD.

Good luck with your decision!

DenverChief
06-19-2007, 02:03 PM
I'm debating on jumping over to commercial real estate, getting the ropes in it and w/ my JD I can do all the contracts and legal work. Just don't know if I can afford to take such a big pay cut when I start out at the bottom, even though it has a pay potential to be much much more than working for a firm.

Any one have any info, experience in this area? Looking for any suggestions, advice.

Should have gotten a Biz Admin degree in undergrad.

:shrug: I have been Criminology the whole way, got my B.S. and am finishing up my Masters in Criminology, Law School is coming up next

irishjayhawk
06-19-2007, 02:18 PM
:shrug: I have been Criminology the whole way, got my B.S. and am finishing up my Masters in Criminology, Law School is coming up next

So you know how I think? :hmmm:

STFU

Mr. Kotter
06-19-2007, 02:39 PM

Don't tell your customers/potential buyers that Christianity is a "myth," or a "primitive psychological decoy"--even if you were to qualify it, with "but I'm not directing that at you, personally."

[cross-thread humor for those who may be confused....heh]

;)

Logical
06-19-2007, 02:42 PM
Damn we have a lot of lawyers on this BB.

irishjayhawk
06-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Don't tell your customers/potential buyers that Christianity is a "myth," or a "primitive psychological decoy"--even if you were to qualify it, with "but I'm not directing that at you, personally."

[cross-thread humor for those who may be confused....heh]

;)

Honesty is the best policy. :)

irishjayhawk
06-19-2007, 02:45 PM
In all seriousness though, Kotter, my joint degree would most likely land me in the movie business. At least, that's where I want to go.

jAZ
06-19-2007, 02:51 PM
http://uchicagolaw.typepad.com/faculty/2005/10/i_am_not_a_stri.html

"I am not a strict constructionist, and no one ought to be . . . . A text should not be construed strictly, and it should not be construed leniently; it should be construed reasonably, to contain all that it fairly means."

--Justice Antonin Scalia

DenverChief
06-19-2007, 03:01 PM
So you know how I think? :hmmm:

STFU
ROFL

Are you a criminal? :bang:

irishjayhawk
06-19-2007, 03:02 PM
ROFL

Are you a criminal? :bang:
:Pimp: :bang:

DenverChief
06-19-2007, 03:05 PM
In all seriousness though, Kotter, my joint degree would most likely land me in the movie business. At least, that's where I want to go.

I'd love to be a sports agent for the money but I think I would have more fun as a criminal prosecutor

irishjayhawk
06-19-2007, 03:06 PM
I'd love to be a sports agent for the money but I think I would have more fun as a criminal prosecutor

True, just don't go making accusations when your witness can't get her story straight and then be disbarred.

Anyong Bluth
06-19-2007, 03:27 PM

I worked for 2 NFL agents my last year in lawschool. There wasn't a option of working for them after graduation, and I knew that going in, but it did give me a great deal of experience working w/in Sports / Entertainment law. If I wasn't so against moving out to LA, I could have hitched on with a VERY large Agency that does sports & entertainment representation. I still mill the idea, and in fact helped a buddy of mine that does live out there catch on with the company.

DaFace
06-19-2007, 03:34 PM
Damn we have a lot of lawyers on this BB.

Perhaps, though I'd imagine that there are a few "I'm none of the above, but I want to see the poll results" votes in there.

HemiEd
06-19-2007, 03:55 PM
Perhaps, though I'd imagine that there are a few "I'm none of the above, but I want to see the poll results" votes in there.

I just clicked "view poll results", it worked. Didn't need a lawyer to figure it out for me either. :)

Mr. Kotter
06-19-2007, 05:17 PM
http://uchicagolaw.typepad.com/faculty/2005/10/i_am_not_a_stri.html

"I am not a strict constructionist, and no one ought to be . . . . A text should not be construed strictly, and it should not be construed leniently; it should be construed reasonably, to contain all that it fairly means."

--Justice Antonin Scalia

Scalia has the right to be wrong, too. No one's perfect. Though he's pretty close, as far as jurists on the bench. Heh. :)

SoCalBronco
06-19-2007, 07:04 PM
Just a JD.

I basically hate the practice of law though, I would rather try going back to the field of academics and teach law and perhaps political science (I have a BA in Political Science, but I probably need a Ph.D to teach University level courses in Poly Sci though, so maybe I'll go for that later).

I really would like to just teach Civil Procedure, Constitutional Law and Statutory Interpretation. The problem is that you gotta just write, write, write and write and get published a bunch of times to hold down a job as a professor of law and you have to start at the bottom and teach things like legal analysis and writing etc. and you cant really get into substantive courses until later and I dont like that. Im also lazy, I don't want to be constantly writing law review notes and articles. I'd much rather write about the passing game than the law, although I did write a pretty long paper on the problems with veil piercing in California for my corporate seminar class back in law school.

DenverChief
06-19-2007, 09:25 PM
Just a JD.

I basically hate the practice of law though, I would rather try going back to the field of academics and teach law and perhaps political science (I have a BA in Political Science, but I probably need a Ph.D to teach University level courses in Poly Sci though, so maybe I'll go for that later).

I really would like to just teach Civil Procedure, Constitutional Law and Statutory Interpretation. The problem is that you gotta just write, write, write and write and get published a bunch of times to hold down a job as a professor of law and you have to start at the bottom and teach things like legal analysis and writing etc. and you cant really get into substantive courses until later and I dont like that. Im also lazy, I don't want to be constantly writing law review notes and articles. I'd much rather write about the passing game than the law, although I did write a pretty long paper on the problems with veil piercing in California for my corporate seminar class back in law school.

Thats why I'm getting my Masters in Criminology...

DenverChief
06-19-2007, 10:55 PM
For those of you that have LLM's what kind of work do you do and did the LLM really help you with what you wanted to do or would you have preferred to just have gotten the JD and stopped?

Rain Man
06-19-2007, 10:57 PM
Is "Master of Laws" a real title? I'd like to have that title.

DenverChief
06-19-2007, 11:00 PM
Is "Master of Laws" a real title? I'd like to have that title.

yeah but the funny part is you get your "Master" of laws after you get your Juris Doctorate but before you get your Doctor of Juridical Science...so you can literally go from you Bachelors to a Masters to a Doctorate to a Masters to a Doctorate :banghead:

Miles
06-19-2007, 11:57 PM
For those of you that have LLM's what kind of work do you do and did the LLM really help you with what you wanted to do or would you have preferred to just have gotten the JD and stopped?

I have an LL.M. in tax and right now primarily do commerical litigation and business transaction work. Too early to tell if it was worth it but I think it was.

Tax is by far the most common LL.M. but there are a few other specialties but that seem to be rare. The only other context you tend to hear about LL.M.'s is foreigners with a non-US law degrees will get one to meet jurisdictional requirements to practice law.