PDA

View Full Version : This is a little late but..

Mr Luzcious
06-19-2007, 09:42 AM
Here is Scott Wright's take on the chief's draft (he certainly took his time in getting around to this one.)

"The Kansas City Chiefs are seemingly at a crossroads and in the next year or so they might have to make the decision to blow this team up, go with youngsters and start a complete and total rebuilding project. It's ironic that just as their defense is finally starting to improve their offensive line, which had long been one of the best in the business, is now in total disarray and with some huge questions at the quarterback position as well this could be a long year for the Chiefs. Will this draft class be enough to stop the bleeding?

For years the Chiefs were somehow able to get by, if not excel, with very average starting wide receivers but those days have come and gone and the likes of Eddie Kennison and Samie Parker were just not able to get the job done in 2006. In an attempt to remedy the situation the Chiefs chose L.S.U.'s Dwayne Bowe in round one of the draft and Kansas City hopes he will be able to give their passing game the shot in the arm that it needs. A big, physical wideout with a knack for making the big play, Bowe still has some issues with dropped balls but he was absolutely dominant all week long at the Senior Bowl and has legitimate #1 potential. Look for Bowe to come in and push for a starting job right off the bat and if nothing else he offers the Chiefs an entirely different type of target than they had before and will be a good change of pace from Kennison and Parker.

Later on Day One Kansas City continued their efforts to upgrade the defensive line and with the end positions seemingly set with Jared Allen and last year's #1 pick Tamba Hali they turned their attention inside to tackle. In round two the Chiefs chose Turk McBride of Tennessee, who enjoyed a dramatic rise up draft boards in the months leading up to the big day. A bit of a tackle / end 'tweener who has experience at both position and could project to either at the next level, McBride was buried on the depth chart behind three future pros (Jesse Mahelona, Justin Harrell, and Tony McDaniel) early in his career and didn't really get an opportunity to shine until 2006 but he made the most of it and had an outstanding senior campaign. With Jared Allen facing a four game suspension to start the year McBride could be the favorite to start opposite Hali in his place when the '07 season kick off and with Allen's contract situation still very much up in the air it could be a chance for him to audition to be his replacement. In round three the Chiefs gambled on North Carolina St. defensive tackle DeMarcus "Tank" Tyler, who would have gone much earlier if not for some character concerns. Tyler played on the same defensive line that produced three 2006 first round picks (Mario Williams, Manny Lawson and John McCargo) but he saved his best for last and really came through with a great senior campaign, which sent his draft stock skyrocketing. Tyler is a guy who will take some plays off but if the Chiefs can get a consistent effort out of him he'll have a chance to be the impact interior lineman that this team's been looking for.

In round five the Chiefs nabbed a guy who I really liked in Louisville running back Kolby Smith, who might also be able to see some action at fullback in the pros. After backing up future pros like Eric Shelton, Lionel Gates and Michael Bush for most of his career Smith finally got a chance to shine as a senior when Bush went down with an injury and he took advantage, coming through with a nice senior campaign in the Cardinals high-powered offense. Larry Johnson is obviously firmly entrenched as the starter but they need someone to help ease his load, which Michael Bennett was unable to do in 2006, and with the situation at fullback extremely questionable at best there should be an opportunity for Smith to get on the field one way or another as a rookie. Watch out for this guy because he has the tools to outperform his draft position. With their next choice later on in round five Kansas City chose U.C.L.A. kicker Justin Medlock, who will start for them barring a major upset. Most felt that Colorado's Mason Crosby was a mortal lock to be the first kicker chosen this year but Medlock actually came off the board first and the team was so confident in his abilities that they saw fit to trade away Lawrence Tynes shortly after the draft. Medlock has a strong leg and is coming off a big senior season but there are some concerns about his consistently and ability to come through in pressure situations but I liked him and felt he was a better prospect than he was given credit for.

Despite their offensive line being almost in shambles thanks to the retirements of Willie Roaf and Will Shields the Chiefs waited until round six to bring in some reinforcements when they selected Herbert Taylor of T.C.U. An athletic college offensive tackle who will likely move inside to guard or center in the pros, Taylor lacks ideal size but could excel in Kansas City's scheme. Look for Taylor to have a better than average shot at making the opening day roster as a backup and he could even surprise down the line. With their final pick in round seven Kansas City opted for a developmental tight end to groom behind Tony Gonzalez when they selected Michael Allan out of Whitworth. Allan, who was the only Division III player invited to the Scouting Combine, has good size, speed, athleticism and hands but he'll be making a huge jump in competition and is more of a long-term project. With Gonzalez, Jason Dunn and Kris Wilson atop the depth chart Allan might face an uphill battle just to make the roster and the practice squad could be in his immediate future.

Even though this was a good Draft Day effort by the Chiefs it still wasn't enough to plug all of their holes and after years of contention the franchise could be on the verge of taking a big step backwards. Guys like Bowe, Medlock, McBride and Tyler will play crucial roles as rookies and will be building blocks for the future but it's impossible to ignore the issues they have up front and under center on offense. Buckle up Chiefs fans because I have a feeling things are going to get a lot worse before they get better.

GRADE: B"

Micjones
06-19-2007, 09:47 AM
I think his evaluation is spot on.

jidar
06-19-2007, 09:54 AM
He took his time but he got it right at least.

StcChief
06-19-2007, 09:58 AM
Seems fair. I'll take his Grade B" . IMO it was a good draft, considering our position at 22. and not getting the deal done for Green before draft day.

Lets hope for Miami's forth pick in 2008. which means it's likely a low pick in 20s that round as they will have done well in AFCE

Buehler445
06-20-2007, 07:47 AM
I think I will take the "B" grade. I'm not really sure what would have constituted an "A" grade without trading away all our picks to get a marquee name, which would NOT have been in our best interest. As of now, I'm happy. Talk to me in December though.

Easy 6
06-20-2007, 08:20 AM
This was a pretty good take, the only thing i have an issue with is that the O line is in "total disarray".

Those who dont follow KC regularly might think so, but its not true...

Welbourn - He didnt look so good last year at RT, but he was rusty as could be & out of shape from the layoff. He's had a year to get in shape & is moving to a position that he can play at a Pro-Bowl level.

McIntosh - No, he's not Roaf...but who is??? I dont give a damn what some disgruntled fins fan says, he had rock solid #'s on a terrible team. Slice it however you want, but the guy is a major upgrade from Black.

Terry - In limited time last year, he looked very athletic & powerful...now he'll have a full slate of camps to really lock-in & get comfortable with our playbook.

I'm sure they'll need 5 or 6 games to figure each other out & develop some chemistry, but once they do, we should have a very solid group. The interior in particular could be reminiscent of the Grunhard, Szott, Shields days.

Direckshun
06-20-2007, 08:31 AM
Whoever we get on the OL, I hope we just don't do that rotation shit we did last year.

Direckshun
06-20-2007, 08:37 AM
The interior in particular could be reminiscent of the Grunhard, Szott, Shields days.
Ridiculous.

If we're going to build an interior OL of that proportion, it's not going to be with three guys who, always with the exception of Brian Waters, are past their prime. Wiegmann has a year left, maybe. Tops. And Welbourne's not going to return to form, he's simply shown too little for me to believe he's going to last.

McIntosh was a good pickup that I support, and in a sense, so was Terry. But McIntosh will hold his own and Terry's a gigantic question mark. But out of those two, only McIntosh is a long-term answer.

Htismaqe will yell at me for repeating this, but once against I believe the Chiefs should make a very heavy-handed run for Feneca next year, and draft a stud OT. Surely we can bank on one of our young up-'n'-comers to pan out (Svitek? Taylor?) and bang, we've got a dominant OL again.

But 2007 will be a year of OL struggles.

Easy 6
06-20-2007, 08:40 AM
Ridiculous

Bollocks.

Why is Terry a question mark???

His legal issues are apparently behind him & his talent was never in question.

Direckshun
06-20-2007, 08:43 AM
Bollocks.
Poppycock.

Direckshun
06-20-2007, 08:47 AM
Bollocks.

Why is Terry a question mark???

His legal issues are apparently behind him & his talent was never in question.
I agree he seems to boast a lot of talent. But he's not in his mid-20s anymore and he's been out of the league altogether for a while. He looked okay last year but only in stints.

Going from nothing to enduring 16 games and whatever postseason we might have against the best defenses in the NFL? Going to be incredibly tough, and I'm not saying that because Terry sucks, I'm saying that because it's going to be incredibly tough.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-20-2007, 08:53 AM
Why would you make a heavy handed run for a guard who is going to command large coin and is on the downhill side of his prime, especially when you can get quality G prospects anywhere from R3-5??

Easy 6
06-20-2007, 08:58 AM
I agree he seems to boast a lot of talent. But he's not in his mid-20s anymore and he's been out of the league altogether for a while. He looked okay last year but only in stints.

Going from nothing to enduring 16 games and whatever postseason we might have against the best defenses in the NFL? Going to be incredibly tough, and I'm not saying that because Terry sucks, I'm saying that because it's going to be incredibly tough.

You know as well as i do that O linemen can be effective into their 30's. He had been out for awhile, but had part of last season & all of this offseason to tighten things up. If he can play the way he did coming in on the fly last year, i bet he looks great with an entire offseason under his belt.

As for Casey, i realize he's no longer ideal for us, but he is still a fine technician with a wealth of vet savvy. I sincerely doubt that he just falls apart this year.

I didnt say "they will be AS good as that classic interior"...i said "it COULD be reminiscent"... at any rate, it will be the strength of our line.

Direckshun
06-20-2007, 09:03 AM
Why would you make a heavy handed run for a guard who is going to command large coin and is on the downhill side of his prime, especially when you can get quality G prospects anywhere from R3-5??
Because we've got LJ, who's incredibly dominant up the gut and thus demands an elite interior. He's worth the coin; he'll be anywhere from Pro-Bowl caliber to very good for at least the next four years. He's a known quantity, so it gives us a dominant interior once again for the rest of LJ's best years.