PDA

View Full Version : TEICHER: QB Croyle has the look of a starter

Coogs
06-20-2007, 09:26 AM
Didn't see this posted, and have not had time to read the other Croyle thread, so sorry if repost. I like the last paragraph. Here it is....

QB Croyle has the look of a starter
All signs point to the Chiefs’ second-year player taking the reins from Trent Green.
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Brodie Croyle In the next five weeks, Brodie Croyle will get married in Mississippi and begin in earnest the process of trying to win the starting quarterback’s job at Chiefs training camp in Wisconsin.

Compared to the wedding, he said, “football is a piece of cake.”

That’s no reflection on his July 14 nuptials but more on Croyle’s offseason, which has gone about as smoothly as the Chiefs could hope. With only today’s practice remaining among their offseason work, Croyle has shown the Chiefs nothing that would shake their view that he’s the top candidate to replace the departed Trent Green.

Croyle may have in fact raised himself in the eyes of the Chiefs and coach Herm Edwards with some sharp throws and intelligent decision-making. If he continues to play well in camp and the preseason, the job is probably his no matter how well the other candidate, veteran Damon Huard, fares.

The Chiefs will withhold final judgment on a starting quarterback until the preseason. But there was the unmistakable feeling at practice Tuesday that as the offseason is winding down, so is the quarterback competition.

Even Huard acknowledged it.

“Everybody would love to find the young quarterback to be the starter for the next 10 years,” Huard said of Croyle, a third-round draft pick last season. “Might everybody be rooting for the young guy to win? Maybe in some ways. But the old guy will go out there and compete, too.”

The feeling was fortified Tuesday when Croyle got all of the first-team snaps. Huard was mostly a bystander at practice. In the absence of Casey Printers, rookie Jeff Terrell took whatever work Croyle didn’t get.

“(Terrell) has been standing out here for 11 practices and all he gets to do is warm-ups and throw to receivers in drills,” Edwards said. “I told him for these two days he was going to get to play football. He was excited about that.”

These final two practices were designed for the younger players anyway. Several key veterans, including Larry Johnson, Tony Gonzalez and Donnie Edwards, were absent Tuesday and the Chiefs don’t expect them today.

Still, these plans fit in nicely with the ones the Chiefs have for Croyle, among the most important of their younger players.

“He’s progressing,” Edwards said. “We’ve put him in a lot of situations in practice — blitz periods, red zone, third downs. Now he’s going to have to do that in competition with Damon.”

Croyle has adequately handled much of what the Chiefs have thrown his way. They fully understand tougher tests are coming soon.

“I’m feeling more and more comfortable and more and more confident and getting used to where my receivers are going to be,” Croyle said. “I’ve gotten a lot better since day one.”

The Chiefs were expecting no revelations about Croyle from a month’s worth of offseason practices. Such workouts are conducted in shorts and T-shirts, contact with the quarterback is strictly off-limits, and they are frequently carried out at something far less than game speed.

“There’s not anything about him I didn’t already know,” wide receiver Eddie Kennison said. “I know how competitive he is. He’s just an old country boy that likes to hunt and play football. He’s not an outrageous guy, he’s not a flamboyant guy.”

From last year’s practices, they knew Croyle was capable of making all of the necessary throws. They knew from watching him in college at Alabama that he had the commanding huddle presence every team looks for in a quarterback.

Still, they discovered some qualities, some subtle and others not, and most to their delight.

“You can tell he was around Trent Green,” safety Bernard Pollard said.

“A lot of the things Trent did and the way he carried himself, you can see that in Brodie. The way he looks off from a receiver. He’ll look at one receiver and then come back to his left and you thought he was going right with the ball and he went the other way.”

Easy 6
06-20-2007, 09:31 AM
HE'S GONNA EAT LIGHTNIN' AND CRAP THUNDER!!!

pikesome
06-20-2007, 09:33 AM
How long till real football starts? Even the football related threads are getting lame. I hate the off season between OTAs and training camp.

FAX
06-20-2007, 09:34 AM

“You can tell he was around Trent Green,” safety Bernard Pollard said.

“A lot of the things Trent did and the way he carried himself, you can see that in Brodie. The way he looks off from a receiver. He’ll look at one receiver and then come back to his left and you thought he was going right with the ball and he went the other way.”

Thanks for posting, Mr. Coogs.

The above is very encouraging, indeed.

FAX

afchiefs
06-20-2007, 09:37 AM
How long till real football starts? Even the football related threads are getting lame. I hate the off season between OTAs and training camp.

amen. I hear the jeaporady theme music all day in my head until football season starts

Micjones
06-20-2007, 09:55 AM
The month between the last of OTA's and training camp is dreadful.

They need to start the NBA season a month later than normal... Or we need a baseball team worth watching.

htismaqe
06-20-2007, 09:58 AM
Thanks for posting, Mr. Coogs.

The above is very encouraging, indeed.

FAX

Notice who the quote came from, too.

Pollard is out there in front...I still think he's got the potential to emerge as one of the public faces of this team...

Fire Me Boy!
06-20-2007, 10:03 AM
HE'S GONNA EAT LIGHTNIN' AND CRAP THUNDER!!!
God I miss Burgess Meredith.

crazycoffey
06-20-2007, 10:03 AM
HE'S GONNA DRINK GASOLINE AND PISS ON YOUR CAMPFIRE!!!!!!

I like who the qoute came from too, Pollard was in a postion to make the comparision too, Good that Brodie learned from Green while he was here.

I'm also starting to hear many annoying theme songs during this time of year.....

htismaqe
06-20-2007, 10:05 AM
I'm also starting to hear many annoying theme songs during this time of year.....

So you're finally admitting that you hear things...

crazycoffey
06-20-2007, 10:14 AM
So you're finally admitting that you hear things...

at least it's no longer the tunes from "Friday the 13th" movies....

Kill, Kill, Kill, Kill.... Kill, Kill...... Kill, Kill, Kill, Kill.....

FAX
06-20-2007, 10:40 AM

Pollard is out there in front...I still think he's got the potential to emerge as one of the public faces of this team...

Point. We can only hope he goes for the ball as energetically as he goes for the microphone, Mr. htismaqe. I'm hopeful that, as a defender, Pollard's perspective on Brodie has some merit.

I'm feeling very good about the potential of both Pollard and Page. If they pan out, my opinion of Herm will change dramatically.

FAX

Direckshun
06-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Hell, if Croyle pans out, my opinion of Herm will change dramatically.

ChiefsCountry
06-20-2007, 10:52 AM

Thats good to see the young guys taking over some of the leadership. Also good to see it from Pollard, who at Purdue was considered trouble.

Reerun_KC
06-20-2007, 10:55 AM
Hell, if Croyle pans out, my opinion of Herm will change dramatically.

My opinion of Herm is changing dramatically with the ability to change the roster from deaths door step to a younger faster team...

If he can get Brodie a starter on opening day... He will be the best coach to grace Arrowhead since Hank Stram.......

Braincase
06-20-2007, 10:56 AM
Just so long as Gunther doesn't comment that Brodie is growing his beard out, I'm fine.

htismaqe
06-20-2007, 10:58 AM
My opinion of Herm is changing dramatically with the ability to change the roster from deaths door step to a younger faster team...

If he can get Brodie a starter on opening day... He will be the best coach to grace Arrowhead since Hank Stram.......

Slow down there, good buddy.

I don't want to hear about you jumping off a bridge at the end of the season. :D

It is indeed VERY energizing to see a different approach at Arrowhead. Even Keitzman sounded excited yesterday.

But if the results on the field don't improve, it will all be for naught.

Easy 6
06-20-2007, 10:58 AM
God I miss Burgess Meredith.

Yep, what a great character actor...very, very few of them personify a role the way he personified Mick.

Reerun_KC
06-20-2007, 11:01 AM
Slow down there, good buddy.

I don't want to hear about you jumping off a bridge at the end of the season. :D

It is indeed VERY energizing to see a different approach at Arrowhead. Even Keitzman sounded excited yesterday.

But if the results on the field don't improve, it will all be for naught.

Results on the field will be for not if Croyle doesnt play.... I agree, win or lose I am just as excited about this season as I was for DV first season.... DV's first season was about the most relaxing fun I have had watch the Chiefs. Zero expectations...

Same for this season. New approach, NEW 2nd YEAR QB Starter, Win or lose, it is going to be a fun year watching this team grow.

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-20-2007, 11:15 AM
Our defense is gonna keep games close this year, all Croyle has to do is play smart. And we now have a kicker that will win the close ones. Hopefully.

Fire Me Boy!
06-20-2007, 11:19 AM
We have no idea what Medlock is other than a 5th round draft pick.

Fire Me Boy!
06-20-2007, 11:19 AM
I for one was disappointed we didn't keep Tynes around if for nothing more than competition during training camp.

rad
06-20-2007, 11:29 AM
I for one was disappointed we didn't keep Tynes around if for nothing more than competition during training camp.

There is another kicker on roster.

htismaqe
06-20-2007, 11:36 AM
We have no idea what Medlock is other than a 5th round draft pick.

A VERY good college kicker is what he is. Several of the guys of his ilk that have come out recently have been above average to very good NFL kickers.

Buehler445
06-20-2007, 11:49 AM

I think the deal was that Tynes is right footed, and the man is left footed. They most likely eliminated him to gain continuity for Colquitt, which is FINE with me. The last thing I want to be able to do is relate to a Bengals or Cowboys fan with a fumbled snap.

GoHuge
06-20-2007, 01:31 PM
Results on the field will be for not if Croyle doesnt play.... I agree, win or lose I am just as excited about this season as I was for DV first season.... DV's first season was about the most relaxing fun I have had watch the Chiefs. Zero expectations...

Same for this season. New approach, NEW 2nd YEAR QB Starter, Win or lose, it is going to be a fun year watching this team grow.

HERE HERE!

Put me on the bandwagon. Just GROW!!! Damn the winnes and losses.

Reerun_KC
06-20-2007, 01:34 PM
I think the deal was that Tynes is right footed, and the man is left footed. They most likely eliminated him to gain continuity for Colquitt, which is FINE with me. The last thing I want to be able to do is relate to a Bengals or Cowboys fan with a fumbled snap.

True! I think it all had to do with him being left footed....

Anyway, Tynes is another one of DV's guys gone.... This team should have a mean attitude coming in the next couple of years.

Dr. Van Halen
06-20-2007, 02:19 PM
I love the way the article tries to stir up controversy or suggest that Huard is being slighted.

Only later does it say that "actually" it's a workout for the younger players.

CoMoChief
06-20-2007, 02:29 PM
I wanna see Pollard knock the piss out of some camp fodder players.

bogie
06-20-2007, 02:31 PM
I just hope the best QB starts. If it's Croyle that would be better for us, but only if he wins the position. Anything less is not acceptable.

Anyong Bluth
06-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Came across this thru a random google search, its from Finsheaven, but I'd assume these guys got to see a bit more of the guys being in the same neck of the woods while Cutler and Croyle were in college

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/archive/index.php?t-122517.html

Here's the 1st blurb, you can read the response at the link above:

Brodie Croyle
Strengths:
1. Toughness: Croyle stands strong in the pocket and will tuck it down and run when the opportunity presents itself. In fact, coaches had to work hard to get him to slide because he often threw his body into harms way in order to get those extra yards. This is not an issue.
2. System: Croyle was in a pro style system which asked him to make every throw on the field. He took snaps under center. He took three, five and seven step drops. He even played in the shotgun when the opportunity presented itself. He will be ahead of the curve compared to most college quarterbacks moving to the next level.
3. Pass Accuracy: Croyle is a very accurate quarterback who excels at the short, intermediate and deep routes. He may be the most accurate quarterback in the draft. This is a real strength.
4. Arm Strength / Velocity: This may sounds impossible given his slender frame, but, Croyle has good arm strength. He can make every throw on the field. What makes this even more encouraging is that his arm strength will only improve as he gets in the weight room at the next level.
5. Release: Croyle has an excellent release with very little wasted motion. This is a real strength.
6. Mobility: Croyle is a very mobile quarterback who is capable of picking up first downs when the play breaks down. He is a good athlete and moves very well in the pocket and on bootlegs.
7. Pocket Presence: Croyle shows excellent poise in the pocket. He moves very well and appears to have that sixth sense in regards to the pass rush. He makes good decisions and seems to understand his role. He never forces throws and always takes what the defense gives him.
8. Career Consistency: I don’t think this is an issue since he has played extremely well for over two years now. Also, he was a highly rated high school recruit, so it is obvious he has played at a high level for awhile.

Weaknesses:
1. Injury History: This is a significant concern for Croyle. He blew an ACL in high school. He missed two games because of a shoulder injury as a sophomore. He missed ten games after blowing another ACL as a junior. Although he remained healthy as a senior, this remains a significant issue because of his slender build and track record.
2. Build: This is also a significant concern for Croyle. He has a very slender build with little muscle in the upper body. His 200 pound frame will need at least ten more pounds in the upper body to protect him from the every day rigors of the NFL. This should be remedied in his first full season in the NFL.

Conclusion:
If Brodie Croyle was fifteen pounds heavier and injury free we would be talking about a sure fire first round pick. Unfortunately for Croyle, teams are going to be concerned about investing too much in this very talented quarterback who might not be able to stay healthy. The bottom line is this, if his knees check out medically and he shows the willingness to gain weight at the next level, then you can feel comfortable spending a 2nd round pick on him. However, until then, he is a third round pick with first round skills and fifth round injuries. Croyle is boom or bust depending on health. Good health, and he will make some team very happy, bad health, and he will be just another backup quarterback.

Jay Cutler
Strengths:
1. Toughness: Jay runs with reckless abandon and throws his body into harms way when scrambling with the football. However, he is often very skittish in the pocket, as evidenced by constantly throwing off his back foot and throwing with all arm. That being said, it should be noted that this behavior could be due to bad coaching and the wear and tear of playing on a bad team.
2. Build: Jay possesses an ideal frame. This will not be an issue.
3. Arm Strength: Jay possesses elite arm strength and velocity. Also, his arm strength and velocity will only improve as his footwork and mechanics improve.
4. Release: Jay gets the ball out very quickly. However, when his footwork starts to deteriorate, his mechanics often go to. That causes his release to slow up a bit.
5. Mobility: Jay is very mobile. He is capable of getting first downs with his feet and extending the play once things break down.
6. Injury History: Jay missed only one start in his four years as a starter.
7. System: The system that Jay plays in allows him to read complex SEC defenses. The system also allows him to take the ball from under center and in the shotgun.
8. Career Consistency: Jay has thrown more touchdowns than interceptions in all four years as a starter. That is a feat considering he is playing in the SEC and considering the talent he has around him.
9. Pass Accuracy: Jay shows pinpoint accuracy when he sets his feet and steps into the throw. However, his accuracy drops off (not as much as you would expect) as his mechanics and footwork drop off.

Weaknesses:
1. Pocket Presence: Jay is very skittish in the pocket. He rarely sets his feet and constantly throws off his back foot. However, despite this behavior, he often remains accurate and finds a way to get it done. That being said, the downside to that is that he will have to be “re-built” because he will not be able to overcome those issues at the next level.

Conclusion:
Physically, Jay is a top ten prospect. He has a great frame, shows excellent velocity, and is a pinpoint passer when he sets his feet and steps into the throw. However, I have serious questions about his intangible. He is always sitting by himself on the sidelines. You never see him smile. He is always yelling at teammates or rolling his eyes when talking to coaches. Also, the fact that his footwork is so bad makes me think it is possible that he is “un-coachable”. However, in his defense, he has wasted away on a bad team that struggles when pass protecting and drops many passes in clutch situations.
To me, the bottom line is that even if this behavior is a direct result of playing for Vanderbilt for four years, Jay Cutler is still going to have to be completely “re-built” as a quarterback. That can take years. Therefore, you better be sure about his mental makeup before you draft him, because if you’re not, and he does possess the mental make-up I am describing, you will have wasted a draft pick.

crazycoffey
06-20-2007, 02:46 PM
Came across this thru a random google search, its from Finsheaven, but I'd assume these guys got to see a bit more of the guys being in the same neck of the woods while Cutler and Croyle were in college

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/archive/index.php?t-122517.html

I found thier Hootie;

yeh... I'd take Omar Jacobs instead of either these two guys. But I think Saban will go with Cutler

Hydrae
06-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Did I miss something? Where is Printers?

Coach
06-20-2007, 04:00 PM

Still on the roster as a 3rd string QB.

Reerun_KC
06-20-2007, 04:29 PM

Last I heard he was heading over to your moms house...