PDA

View Full Version : Decisions Decisions Decisions

PinkFloyd
06-20-2007, 07:10 PM
Come next Monday morning when I wake up, I'll no longer be a smoker... It's time to quit the cig's... Not only are they expensive, but I can think of alot better ways to spend my money... The problem is, i'll need to stay busy doing something outside when I'm at home... And living here on a farm, that won't be hard to do... I've got about 500 acres or so to go find things to do...

Therefore; by staying busy, that means not being on here most of the time during the day or night... I'll check in from time to time, but I think it might only be afew times a month... NOOOOOOOOO; this is not a "I'm leaving forever" thread... I just need to stay busy in order for this thing to work...

Anyone else on here quit smoking and found it hard to not have one while just "sitting" around not doing anything ??? Also; any tips from past smokers who have stopped and not picked back up the habit ???

88TG88
06-20-2007, 07:12 PM
Start pumping iron ?
Read some of Shakespeare's work ?
Visit Chiefsplanet more ?

Reerun_KC
06-20-2007, 07:12 PM
Never smoked so dont understand the addiction...

I wish you luck and smart move!

Take care!

FAX
06-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Some guys who quit smoking take up cattle mutilation. I, therefore, humbly suggest you consider hiding your knives along with your cigarettes, Mr. Pinkfloyd.

FAX

PinkFloyd
06-20-2007, 07:19 PM
Some guys who quit smoking take up cattle mutilation. I, therefore, humbly suggest you consider hiding your knives along with your cigarettes, Mr. Pinkfloyd.

FAX

ROFL ROFL Boy; there's one thing I'm going to miss on here and thats your replies Mr. Fax...

QuikSsurfer
06-20-2007, 07:25 PM
weight lifting

Buehler445
06-20-2007, 08:27 PM
Good work on quitting smoking!!! I have never smoked, but I do have asthma, and I don't wish it on anybody. That is why I encourage everyone I can to not smoke. You don't want to inhibit your ability to breathe. A severe asthma attack is by far the scariest thing I have ever encountered. Please don't destroy your lungs.

[Off Soap Box]

Find a hobby. Exercise is good. Hell even read a good financial publication to learn how to invest all the money you are saving:).

Anyway, good luck my man. If you need any support, hit up the Buehler-man.

unothadeal
06-20-2007, 08:29 PM
Gum

Dunit35
06-20-2007, 08:33 PM
I am on week 7 of quitting smoking. I use to cough up shit all the time and now I hardly ever do. I feel so much better now and don't run out of breath as fast. Good luck.

Dayze
06-20-2007, 08:36 PM
I'm doing something similiar; as part of my gifts to my wife for her birthday last week, I promised to quit. I need to; not healthy; she wants me to more than anything......so Monday I'm done after a float trip this weekend to Eminence, MO.

Started chewing about 13 years ago during track and field while waiting for my throws in discus & shot....next thing you kn ow it's 13 years later and I'm still doing it. STFU

I think it'll stick this time; tried 1/2 assed to quit before...but this time i honestly want to quit.

it outta be a rough few weeks...need to kick it before football season!

good luck! :clap:

PinkFloyd
06-20-2007, 08:48 PM
Rather than replying to everyones advice, I'll say they all sound like good ideas... Here recently, I've discovered that I've had a cough going on everyonce in awhile... I like the ideas from everyone so far...

My plans are to exercise more and hit the weights also... Maybe go to the local high school track and walk some laps or even ride a bike around the track... I'd jog, but 3 knee surgeries from baseball pretty much limits that... I know I'll do alot of hill walking to get my legs in shape... I should be exercising anyways since I was diagnosed with M.S. in 2001 and smoking doesn't help either... I've noticed that while playing softball this year...

Living on a farm will keep me busy also...

unlurking
06-20-2007, 08:49 PM
Quit for a year and a half. Plan on quitting again tomorrow. Good luck on your attempt!

This is how I quit last time, and plan on doing the same again...

When you NEED a cigarette the first day, wait 10 minutes, then break off the filter and smoke it like a cigar. Usually only get a couple of puffs before tossing it, but you get the nicotine through your gums and not your lungs.

Repeat the second day, but wait 15 minutes, and 20 minutes on the third day.

After about 5 days / a week, I was having one a day (usually after getting home from work). Within 2 weeks, I was having just a couple a week, and within a month I was done.

This time, I will not make the mistake of thinking I can handle just one or two after getting massively stressed out. After it's been a while, you think you can handle it. I learned I can't, so now I'm going through it again.

PinkFloyd
06-20-2007, 08:50 PM
Hell even read a good financial publication to learn how to invest all the money you are saving:).

Anyway, good luck my man. If you need any support, hit up the Buehler-man.

The investing part was one that never crossed my mind... Excellent idea... And I'll give ya a shout if needed... Thanks...

Simply Red
06-20-2007, 08:59 PM
nic. gum. Help the cravings at first, break the routine eventually.

PinkFloyd
06-20-2007, 09:00 PM
nic. gum. Help the cravings at first, break the routing eventually.

I'm getting the "commit" tablet... They worked one time before...

SLAG
06-20-2007, 09:24 PM
I am 460 days, 23 hours, 10 minutes and 27 seconds smoke free.

I have not smoked 9219 cigarettes

$1,899.80 and 2 months, 10 days, 10 hours of your life saved.

Your quit date: 3/17/2006

Its been great, i got the info from www.quitnet.com they give you tips and stuff and keep you updated via email of your stats.

also tried the Tea-Tree Oil Toothpick's that were suggested on Frazod's Thread and they kept my hands and mouth busy.

You can do it if you find something that is really motivating to you,

the key thing is NO MATTER WHAT dont give in
once you have stopped say, ive gone 10 Min. i can go another 30.. then go 30 and keep it up

reward yourself for small pre-planned achievements, such as staying quit for one week... etc... etc..

Just remember that NO MATTER WHAT DONT SMOKE

Also..

Keep doing some set of Breathing exercises as thats what you have been training your lungs. so keep taking deep breaths of CLEAN FRESH AIR!

Good Job and If I could do it you can do it

seriously

PinkFloyd
06-20-2007, 09:45 PM
I am 460 days, 23 hours, 10 minutes and 27 seconds smoke free.

I have not smoked 9219 cigarettes

$1,899.80 and 2 months, 10 days, 10 hours of your life saved.

Your quit date: 3/17/2006

Its been great, i got the info from www.quitnet.com they give you tips and stuff and keep you updated via email of your stats.

also tried the Tea-Tree Oil Toothpick's that were suggested on Frazod's Thread and they kept my hands and mouth busy.

You can do it if you find something that is really motivating to you,

the key thing is NO MATTER WHAT dont give in
once you have stopped say, ive gone 10 Min. i can go another 30.. then go 30 and keep it up

reward yourself for small pre-planned achievements, such as staying quit for one week... etc... etc..

Just remember that NO MATTER WHAT DONT SMOKE

Also..

Keep doing some set of Breathing exercises as thats what you have been training your lungs. so keep taking deep breaths of CLEAN FRESH AIR!

Good Job and If I could do it you can do it

seriously

That's an amazing story and some awesome info !!!! Thanks

Mr. Plow
06-20-2007, 10:46 PM
Come next Monday morning when I wake up, I'll no longer be a smoker... It's time to quit the cig's... Not only are they expensive, but I can think of alot better ways to spend my money... The problem is, i'll need to stay busy doing something outside when I'm at home... And living here on a farm, that won't be hard to do... I've got about 500 acres or so to go find things to do...

Therefore; by staying busy, that means not being on here most of the time during the day or night... I'll check in from time to time, but I think it might only be afew times a month... NOOOOOOOOO; this is not a "I'm leaving forever" thread... I just need to stay busy in order for this thing to work...

Anyone else on here quit smoking and found it hard to not have one while just "sitting" around not doing anything ??? Also; any tips from past smokers who have stopped and not picked back up the habit ???

Good luck. I quit chewing for over a year. This worked wonders for me. Give it a try if you have problems.

http://www.stopsmokingstlouis.com/

BigRedChief
06-20-2007, 10:53 PM
do a search for Frazod's quitting smoking thread. It's real long and has a lot of tips and tricks to stay off the cigs.

TinyEvel
06-20-2007, 10:58 PM
I've never smoked, but have tried several times to curtail my drinking. It's tough, but exercize does definitely help. IT gives you something to do and motivates you to keep healthy (a body is more difficult to put in motion than to keep in motion) Environmental things can be tough. i.e. going to abar for me or going out to a club would be SUPER tough without drinking.
Good luck man! positive vibes flowing your way through the stratosphere.

a1na2
06-20-2007, 11:02 PM
Stay away from the fridge. It could be hazardous to your waistline.