View Full Version : 28 Vets want out of KC??Sims Bashes KC/Herm

KC4EVER
06-21-2007, 03:55 PM
NFL I BUCCANEERS

Ex-Chief battles bad rap
Defensive tackle Ryan Sims is grateful for fresh start with Tampa Bay

By TOM BALOG

tom.balog@heraldtribune.com

TAMPA -- Ryan Sims should have become the Warren Sapp of the Kansas City Chiefs.

Instead, he has wound up as a larger, younger, version of Anthony McFarland with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- a retread defensive tackle battling a history of injury and lethargy.

The former No.6 overall pick of the 2002 NFL draft is fighting for a roster spot with the Buccaneers.

For now, the most mammoth presence among the Buccaneers' nine defensive tackles in mini-camp at 6-foot-4, 315 pounds, Sims is welcomed with open arms.

"Ryan Sims is working hard, a big fellow in the middle who's going to help us on our run (defense)," Bucs defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin said. "I think you have to give people a second opportunity. It didn't work out in Kansas City for whatever reason. It didn't work out for Chris Hovan (in Minnesota). It didn't work out for (Greg) Spires (in Cleveland and New England). It didn't work out for Simeon Rice (in Arizona)."

Sims did little more in five seasons with the Chiefs than give the team reason to jump at the chance to unload him.

The Bucs sent an undisclosed draft pick to Kansas City to acquire Sims on May 1.

Tuesday, Sims blasted Chiefs head coach Herm Edwards, the former Bucs defensive backs coach, for creating what Sims perceives as a negative environment in Edwards' first year in Kansas City in 2006.

"Some coaches just believe the more negative you are ... You don't have a team of 28 guys trying to get traded for nothing," Sims said. "Every starter there is trying to get out of there. ... Look at it. Ask (quarterback) Trent Green (traded to the Miami Dolphins) about it.

"You can just look at the numbers, look at the morale, you tell me.

"We had the 32nd (ranked) defense when I got there, it was 32nd for years. Obviously I'm not the only person out there.

"I'm here. These coaches are great. It's totally different. Very positive here. It's time for a new lease, time to play."

The Bucs are betting little that Sims can shed the two raps against him -- that he became a first-round prospect at North Carolina only because he played alongside Julius Peppers. And second, that he became complacent after he was given a reported $9.75 million signing bonus by the Chiefs.

Tampa Bay, which reportedly restructured Sims' contract, wants to see the 2003 Ryan Sims, who posted 83 tackles and three sacks in 16 starts at nose tackle. Or the 2004 Ryan Sims who made 30 tackles and two sacks in 13 starts for Kansas City.

Or the 2001 Ryan Sims who posted five sacks and 51 tackles as a senior for the Tar Heels.

Sims is better known for being inactive for 10 games in 2005 with a sprained right foot and playing only six games his rookie year before a dislocated elbow sent him to the injured reserve list.

"He's got to be Ryan Sims, OK? He's got to be the guy he was at North Carolina and at times in Kansas City," said Bucs head coach Jon Gruden. "He's had some injuries. For whatever reason, he hasn't produced to the standards I think people expected. But he's got another opportunity now."

Early indications are that Sims is taking advantage of this new lease on life in the NFL.

"He's a big strong, powerful guy, highly motivated right now," said Bucs defensive line coach Larry Coyer. "Sometimes you get a new opportunity in life, that happens.

"He's a different kind of defensive lineman, him and (Kevin) Carter both (6-foot-6, 305) than we've played with here. Big, powerful men, hard to move. It's been really impressive out here. We'll see when the (training) camp comes, but he's really stepped up, though."

"They love defense here, period. They've got a history of defense. They love defensive lineman," Sims said. "This is a big opportunity. My goal is to start. I didn't come here to be a backup. I don't think anybody came here to be a backup. That's what I'm doing every day, trying to be a starter."

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20070621/SPORTS/706210801/-1/RSS06

Hammock Parties
06-21-2007, 03:56 PM
Man. Sour grapes.

Dartgod
06-21-2007, 03:58 PM
What a piece of shit. I don't wish injuries on anyone, but I would laugh my ass off if he blew out both knees on the first play of the regular season.

Hard working? Motivated?

Give me a ****ing break!

ROFL

big nasty kcnut
06-21-2007, 03:59 PM
What happen sims did herm took your krispy creame donuts away from you.

blueballs
06-21-2007, 03:59 PM
Florida humidity
Sims love of pastry
not good

Sanka
06-21-2007, 04:00 PM
I hope he does well, so that we could get a decent pick in return for his fat ass.

Ebolapox
06-21-2007, 04:02 PM
ROFL

sims can go f*ck himself. seriously--the piece of sh*t did nothing here and it was somebody else's fault?!?

keg in kc
06-21-2007, 04:03 PM
Something tells me "negative" is not a word attributable to Edwards.

Perhaps poor lil Ryan-poo couldn't handle being told he needed to produce or he wouldn't have a job.

It also wouldn't completely shock me if 28 of Vermeil's coddled vets wanted out. Change has come, you actually have to produce to play.

Poor, poor guys.

big nasty kcnut
06-21-2007, 04:04 PM
I could see sims crying to his agent they took my donuts away i wasn't doing anything wrong. Just cause i was eating them in front of tony g. while he was working out doesn't mean i was doing anything wrong.

FAX
Hmmm, these tidbits regarding the vets wanting out of KC keep emerging.

It reminds one of the old saying that, where there's smoke, there's a burning rash on the wang.

FAX

bogie
Kiss my ass Sims. See ya.

plbrdude
06-21-2007, 04:06 PM
Hmmm, these tidbits regarding the vets wanting out of KC keep emerging.

It reminds one of the old saying that, where there's smoke, there's a burning rash on the wang.

FAX

and that can't be good

bobbything
06-21-2007, 04:11 PM
Something tells me "negative" is not a word attributable to Edwards.

Perhaps poor lil Ryan-poo couldn't handle being told he needed to produce or he wouldn't have a job.

It also wouldn't completely shock me if 28 of Vermeil's coddled vets wanted out. Change has come, you actually have to produce to play.

Poor, poor guys.
I was in River Falls for 3 days last season. Edwards is anything but negative.

Maybe Sims should stop bitching about having to play for Edwards and look back at how well he faired in his 4 previous seasons under a different coach.

My guess is that: he sucked shit before Edwards got here, he sucked shit when Edwards did get here, and he's going to suck shit in Tampa.

Good luck to him though.

Phobia
06-21-2007, 04:15 PM
Ryan played for Edwards one season. What's his excuse for the rest of his life?

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2007, 04:20 PM
When did Sims record 83 tackles? Is that a career number and someone ****ed up the facts?

blueballs
06-21-2007, 04:20 PM
the 28 D players pretended to want to be traded
knowing the lemming would follow

nychief
06-21-2007, 04:21 PM
I hope all the lazy shit talking vets want out... fug'em

Hammock Parties
06-21-2007, 04:22 PM
When did Sims record 83 tackles? Is that a career number and someone ****ed up the facts?

Standard stat inflation from KcChiefs.com. Sims was probably credited with a tackle if he looked at a ball carrier in the course of a play that season.

Bill Lundberg
06-21-2007, 04:22 PM
Have I mentioned I have an autographed Ryan Simms football for sale or trade? I'm hungry, first person to bring me a bag of chips can have it.

Hammock Parties
06-21-2007, 04:23 PM
Have I mentioned I have an autographed Ryan Simms football for sale or trade? I'm hungry, first person to bring me a bag of chips can have it.

It should be burned in ritual ceremony at a Chiefs fan tailgate.

Baby Lee
06-21-2007, 04:24 PM
C'omn, hey, we sucked before he got here. Can't expect a #6 pick to make a difference.

Fish
06-21-2007, 04:28 PM

nfl.com has 38 tackles listed for Sims in 2003....

This is the second time an idiot journalist has royally screwed up Sims' stats...

He should have realized that 83 tackles for a DL is really high though.....

Megbert
06-21-2007, 04:36 PM
Anyone remember that one play where Sims almost got to the QB?

That was a great play.

ChiefaRoo
06-21-2007, 04:40 PM
What a whiney bitch. Show us on the field Ryan. I suspect he'll be hanging out with Warfield and Julian Battle in about a year from now.

Simplex3
06-21-2007, 04:44 PM
If it's a nice football you can probably scrape the sig off on some concrete.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2007, 04:52 PM
What about the time he belly flopped going for an INT?

chagrin
06-21-2007, 05:02 PM
His "total" tackles per nfl.com since being drafted:
6, 38, 15, 8, 7

And I think he had a total of 6 sacks
LOL!

kcfanintitanhell
06-21-2007, 05:08 PM

SShhhhh.....I think someone in the Tampa Bay front office might be dyslectic.

Reerun_KC
06-21-2007, 05:09 PM
ROFL

stevieray
06-21-2007, 05:09 PM
doesn't sound like a guy getting a second chance, sounds more like why he's in this position to begin with.

Braincase
06-21-2007, 05:10 PM
Is Tampa giving Dan Williams a tryout, too?

BigRock
06-21-2007, 05:16 PM
Sims blasted Chiefs head coach Herm Edwards, the former Bucs defensive backs coach, for creating what Sims perceives as a negative environment in Edwards' first year in Kansas City in 2006.

LMAO LMAO

Translation: Krumie made his fat ass break down and cry.

88TG88
06-21-2007, 05:23 PM
You could give it to the dog in ur avy as a chew toy.

dilligaf
06-21-2007, 05:28 PM
It should be burned in ritual ceremony at a Chiefs fan tailgate.
I'll bring my Sims jersey and throw that on the fire as well.

Red Dawg
06-21-2007, 05:42 PM
DIRT BAG POS! He did shit for us and will do nothing for the Bucs but get shoved around. Worst number 6 pick ever!

The Bad Guy
06-21-2007, 05:45 PM
Sims is a ****ing maggot. You were picked 6th in the draft to help fix a defense. You failed, so you use the scapegoat that "I obvioulsy wasn't the only guy."

You were worthless. The only pocket you could collapse was a hot pocket in your freezer.

morphius
06-21-2007, 05:53 PM
While it wouldn't be hard to see that a bunch of the O people have not been excited about it since Herm came on, but since Law came there to be with Edwards, and Allen is showing up to practices because he likes his team mates and Edwards, well, someone is being a whiny bitch...

htismaqe
06-21-2007, 05:53 PM
1) There aren't 28 Vermeil guys left on the team, so that number is inflated.

2) Tampa Bay loves defense, they have a history of it. So did Kansas City, prior to your arrival, Ryan.

Otter
06-21-2007, 06:13 PM

That's a very good point.

Another good point is the Chiefs have gone through a lot of defensive lineman since 2000 that never panned out.

Khai Long
Junior Siavii
James Wilkerson
Montique Sharpe
Ryan Sims
Eddie Freeman
Eric Downing
Terdell Sands

Where the truth lies I have no idea. That's a pretty high failure rate however.

htismaqe
06-21-2007, 06:16 PM
That's a very good point.

Another good point is the Chiefs have gone through a lot of defensive lineman since 2000 that never panned out.

Khai Long
Junior Siavii
James Wilkerson
Montique Sharpe
Ryan Sims
Eddie Freeman
Eric Downing
Terdell Sands

Where the truth lies I have no idea. That's a pretty high failure rate however.

I think it shows that the Chiefs from 2001 to 2005 weren't very good at evaluating defensive linemen, neither talent nor character.

Otter
06-21-2007, 06:27 PM
I think it shows that the Chiefs from 2001 to 2005 weren't very good at evaluating defensive linemen, neither talent nor character.

Let's hope Herm's a hell of a DL evaluator because the rest of the flapjacks are still there.

Frazod
06-21-2007, 06:29 PM
Go die in fire, Sims, you useless piece of shit. 4321

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-21-2007, 06:30 PM
How can you say Wilkerson hasn't panned out? He was a sixth round pick who is one of the more important guys in our D-Line rotation.

Logical
06-21-2007, 06:32 PM
Tampa Bay, which reportedly restructured Sims' contract, wants to see the 2003 Ryan Sims, who posted 83 tackles and three sacks in 16 starts at nose tackle. Did I blackout and completely miss this year for Ryan Sims? WTF

Eleazar
06-21-2007, 06:42 PM
He might be effective in a place where he doesn't have to be the man, where all the other guys on the line are genuinely good players. And if he can stay healthy, and if he can get out of his own way.

But still. We wasted a first round pick and quite a few bucks on you, and you were a bust. Just STFU and quit making excuses.

trndobrd
06-21-2007, 07:11 PM
He might be effective in a place where he doesn't have to be the man, where all the other guys on the line are genuinely good players. And if he can stay healthy, and if he can get out of his own way.

But still. We wasted a first round pick and quite a few bucks on you, and you were a bust. Just STFU and quit making excuses.

So he will be the football equivalent of the guy at the office who doesn't do squat to help the department, rarely shows up on time for meetings and is never prepared, is always happy to explain to the boss how HIS plan and HIS hard work led to the improved department numbers, but can't get his presentation done because Johnson and Williams don't have their budget forcast completed.

Mecca
06-21-2007, 07:23 PM
The only thing I agree with in the article is about how good Tampa's D coaches are and how many guys they've turned from blah to important players.....

Monte Kiffin is far and away a better D coach than any of our guys.....

He's just throwing some shit at the Chiefs because it makes him look good in his new market....it's their fault not mine, then alot of the fans buy it. Guys that come here do the same shit.

Ultra Peanut
06-21-2007, 07:33 PM
How can you say Wilkerson hasn't panned out? He was a sixth round pick who is one of the more important guys in our D-Line rotation.Exactly. Wilkerson was drafted in the sixth round as a guy who needed another year in school. He was a good pick, and he's certainly not the same sort of slug as the rest of those guys.

the Talking Can
06-21-2007, 07:52 PM
there are so many things wrong with that article....but I'm too high to prepare a formal rebuttal....

the Talking Can
06-21-2007, 07:54 PM
and BOY HOWDY does that fat piece of shit sound like one of DV's babies...you could almost hear DV's voice while he was giving out those sorry excuses...

look! i threw DV under the bus!...feels good, I can see the attraction

the Talking Can
06-21-2007, 07:57 PM
Sims got his sorry ass benched by street FA's....if he had any pride he would have commited sepuku by now...

the Talking Can
06-21-2007, 07:58 PM
I'LL RIP YOUR ****ING HEAD OFF AND SHIT DOWN YOUR NECK SIMS!

i will too

the Talking Can
06-21-2007, 07:58 PM
CRAB PEOPLE!!

trndobrd
06-21-2007, 08:01 PM
The only thing I agree with in the article is about how good Tampa's D coaches are and how many guys they've turned from blah to important players.....

He's just throwing some shit at the Chiefs because it makes him look good in his new market....it's their fault not mine, then alot of the fans buy it. Guys that come here do the same shit.

They may well be able to turn him into a serviceable DT, which is great for our draft prospects. But I don't recall any FA aquisition of the Chiefs badmouthing his former team. It's always "better fit", "new opportunity", "want to contribute" and all that other crap. The last Chief I can remember really blasting his former team was Eddie Kennison after the Denver media called him a quitter.

trndobrd
06-21-2007, 08:02 PM
Sims got his sorry ass benched by street FA's....if he had any pride he would have commited sepuku by now...

His arms are too stubby to reach around that gut.

Direckshun
06-21-2007, 08:02 PM
Oh, Planet. You never disappoint.

Great thread.

Have there been any Dante Hall stories like this? Please tell me yes.

Frazod
06-21-2007, 08:04 PM
Oh, Planet. You never disappoint.

Great thread.

Have there been any Dante Hall stories like this? Please tell me yes.

Hall was actually useful for most of his time here. I think people reacted somewhat better to him as a result.

trndobrd
06-21-2007, 08:05 PM
Gunther will eat Sims' children forever.

Dude, go get some Dorito's or something.

Hammock Parties
06-21-2007, 08:06 PM
there are so many things wrong with that article....but I'm too high to prepare a formal rebuttal....

I'm not. :D

the Talking Can
06-21-2007, 08:06 PM
Dude.

i did man..you're too fast...I'm going to go do some yoga now

trndobrd
06-21-2007, 08:12 PM
Hall was actually useful for most of his time here. I think people reacted somewhat better to him as a result.

It's sort of an "Apples and Big steaming turd" comparison...

Contributor who played hard, kept the Chiefs in some games, provided some exciting moments, and gave 100% while he was here, now going to a team where he will fit the scheme better and have more opportunity to be a part of their offense.

vs.

First round draft pick who held out of camp, showed up overweight, got hurt immediately, started a couple games, got hurt again, remained hurt and overweight, got replaced by two dudes who walked in off the street, failed to perform everytime he rotated in the game, complained about not getting a shot, suggested that other teams would be looking at all his tape. Badmouthing former coach for being negative.

Frazod
06-21-2007, 08:14 PM
Exciting contributor who played hard while he was here going to a team where he will fit the scheme

vs.

First round draft pick who held out of camp, showed up overweight, got hurt immediately, started a couple games, got hurt again, remained hurt and overweight, got replaced by two dudes who walked in off the street, failed to perform everytime he rotated in the game, complained about not getting a shot, suggested that other teams would be looking at all his tape. Badmouthing former coach for being negative.

Yes, I know. I was just be flippant.

trndobrd
06-21-2007, 08:15 PM
Yes, I know. I was just be flippant.

My comments were more for Direckshun's benefit. I know where you were coming from.

RealSNR
06-21-2007, 08:19 PM

He's just throwing some shit at the Chiefs because it makes him look good in his new market....it's their fault not mine, then alot of the fans buy it. Guys that come here do the same shit.All of those guys whom the Bucs picked up at least showed flashes with their other teams. I don't think Sims possesses a single unique ability. He's not all that fast, doesn't have good technique or a good motor, and isn't exactly the smartest cookie in the jar. Ten bucks says he gets cut by the Bucs sometime in the next two seasons.

Spicy McHaggis
06-21-2007, 08:24 PM
"Ryan Sims is working hard, a big fellow in the middle who's going to help us on our run (defense)," Bucs defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin said. "I think you have to give people a second opportunity. It didn't work out in Kansas City for whatever reason. It didn't work out for Chris Hovan (in Minnesota). It didn't work out for (Greg) Spires (in Cleveland and New England). It didn't work out for Simeon Rice (in Arizona)."

When I read this quote by Gruden I thought to myself "Well that seems strange. All those guys seemed a lot better in with their old teams than Sims was in KC. Why Gruden putting Sims in their company seems like it might be downright insulting to them." And checking the numbers it turns out it is downright insulting to them.

Stats before joining the Bucs

Greg Spires - 13.5 sacks 79 tackles in 4 years
Chris Hovan - 17 sacks 188 in 5 years
Simeon Rice - 51.5 sacks 218 tackles in 5 years
(including 12 sack rookie year and 16 sack year)

And now for Dough(nut) Boy

Ryan Sims - 5 sacks 74 tackles in 5 years

Wow. Tremendous.

**** you Ryan Sims. **** you.

Dark Horse
06-21-2007, 08:27 PM
I seem to be sensing an anti Sims sentiment

the Talking Can
06-21-2007, 08:28 PM
When I read this quote by Gruden I thought to myself "Well that seems strange. All those guys seemed a lot better in with their old teams than Sims was in KC. Why Gruden putting Sims in their company seems like it might be downright insulting to them." And checking the numbers it turns out it is downright insulting to them.

Stats before joining the Bucs

Greg Spires - 13.5 sacks 79 tackles in 4 years
Chris Hovan - 17 sacks 188 in 5 years
Simeon Rice - 51.5 sacks 218 tackles in 5 years
(including 12 sack rookie year and 16 sack year)

And now for Dough(nut) Boy

Ryan Sims - 5 sacks 74 tackles in 5 years

Wow. Tremendous.

**** you Ryan Sims. **** you.

well played, you pwned that guy.,....

unothadeal
06-21-2007, 08:39 PM
I still can't believe we got a pick for him!

unothadeal
06-21-2007, 08:44 PM
Wasn't there another article that said Sims had 83 tackles in one year?

Kerberos
06-21-2007, 08:44 PM
Sims is just blowing smoke out his ass and talking shit so it looks like we mis-evaluated him.

Sims will play JUST hard enough for the Bucs to get a BIG PHAT payday (contract) ........AGAIN.

Then mark my words .... he will go right back to his old habits and WE WILL have the last laugh on the Bucs.

HemiEd
06-21-2007, 09:20 PM

and the scary part, what if he has a good year!

Think about the shit we are going to be hearing in the media.

We better give LJ 80 million or nobody will play for the Chiefs!

FAX
06-21-2007, 09:25 PM
...Ten bucks says he gets cut by the Bucs sometime in the next two seasons.

Are we talking blueball dollars, or the other kind?

FAX

trndobrd
06-21-2007, 09:32 PM
and the scary part, what if he has a good year!

Think about the shit we are going to be hearing in the media.

We better give LJ 80 million or nobody will play for the Chiefs!

I hope he has a decent season and we get a higher draft pick out of the deal. Nobody worth listening to is going to suggest that we should have kept cRyan Sims.

My prediction is that he bust ass in training camp. Come out and have three decent games, and just as the media down in Tampa is starting to sing his praises, he will get hurt....again.

Chiefnj2
06-21-2007, 09:47 PM
I'm not saying Sims will be any good, but the Chiefs couldn't turn out a decent DT the last 6 years. It's not just the players, but the coaching as well - including last year.

As much as I want to believe in

kcfan82
06-21-2007, 10:17 PM
Sims is a worthless turd, I remember bumping into his fat arse at the liquor store one night and wondering to myself if he could outrun a snail. He was THAT fat.

Bugeater
06-21-2007, 10:45 PM
Wasn't there another article that said Sims had 83 tackles in one year?
Yeah, I remember that too. It was right after he was traded.

RealSNR
06-21-2007, 11:04 PM
Are we talking blueball dollars, or the other kind?

FAXHmm, good thing you brought this up. I'm going out of the country in a couple months. Any idea what the exchange rate is from blueball dollars to the Swedish krona?

Eric
06-21-2007, 11:29 PM
Bonus money = creates lazy fuc*s.

TinyEvel
06-22-2007, 12:54 AM

Seriously? I'll buy it off you. I want to make a video of me auditioning for kicker. I'm going to kick some footballs through the "H" in the Hollywood sign. Dane McCloud is going to be the holder.

BigMeatballDave
06-22-2007, 01:56 AM
They gave you millions of dollars for being a complete waste of oxygen. What a POS! I hope he blows a knee out on the 1st day of TC...

StcChief
06-22-2007, 05:30 AM
Ryan FU but have a great year. We wanna get something anything for your over rated draft pick #6 overall.....

A fourth from Tampa for you and a Fourth from Miami for Trent.

Then blow out your knee you lazy POS.