PDA

View Full Version : RT Theoretical

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 10:07 PM
OL practice is going as planned at River Falls. The unit doesn't look like the elite unit that's graced these fields in years passed, and it's easily the least star-studded the place has looked in years.

Wiegmann looks good. Welbourne's fresh and hungry. Waters, of course, is great. Doesn't even have to try and he's the best one out there.

All the OTs are shaping up for their tight competition for the treasured spots on KC's roster. McIntosh has a tight grip on LT, but Svitek's impressed so much that coaches think he's the teams backup at that position.

RT's up in the air. Chris Terry's playing decently but hasn't blown anybody's doors off, and Sampson hasn't landed much of an impact.

When Kyle Turley, fresh off a vet minimum signing with KC barring he makes the team, shows up at his old playing weight, 309. He looks as good as he's looked since his heyday in New Orleans as their shutdown RT.

He's burned the Chiefs before. But he's 309 now, not 275, and he's looking good.

Do we risk him again, or do we move on and stick with Terry at the position?

CHOOSE CAREFULLY, AS THIS CHOICE MAY BE YOUR LAST.

06-24-2007, 10:09 PM
Give him a shot but the first hint of a spasm and dump him.

Smed1065
06-24-2007, 10:10 PM
Fudge Turley, Unless he is showing something special.

CoMoChief
06-24-2007, 10:19 PM
We won't go to the playoffs this season with Croyle at the helm. I'd bet my bank account on that.

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 10:19 PM
And we've got an "absolutely"! I didn't think we'd get one here, but we did.

And from Rain Man, no less. Awesome.

You're that bold, sir? No fear of repeating history?

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 10:20 PM
We won't go to the playoffs this season with Croyle at the helm. I'd bet my bank account on that.
You may be replying to the wrong thread.

Smed1065
06-24-2007, 10:22 PM
And we've got an "absolutely"! I didn't think we'd get one here, but we did.

And from Rain Man, no less. Awesome.

You're that bold, sir? No fear of repeating history?

Rainman is eccentric.

CoMoChief
06-24-2007, 10:23 PM
You may be replying to the wrong thread.

No, I'm saying that even with Turley playing at his weight now and if he was back to old form, Croyle is still the QB of this team.

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 10:23 PM
Rainman is eccentric.
He's delightfully mad.

*fires a bullet over your left shoulder*

WOOO HOO HAHAHAHA HOO HOHOHOHOA HAHAHAHAHA

Hammock Parties
06-24-2007, 10:24 PM
If we sign Turley and he's kicking ass, they'd be dumb not to move him ahead of Terry.

Dunit35
06-24-2007, 10:25 PM
I voted no...but the more I think about it...the more I'd say maybe. Let him fight through training camp...if he makes it without any injuries, keep him.

Direckshun
No, I'm saying that even with Turley playing at his weight now and if he was back to old form, Croyle is still the QB of this team.
I have absolutely no idea what you're getting at and I'm tempted to believe you may be trapped in an alternate dimension through some extra-sensory experience involving hash or blow and somehow believe you're replying appropriately to a topic about the Chiefs' RT.

KurtCobain
I don't know. I don't like Terry at RT though. Maybe if Turley can really bulk it up to 315 - 320 and move like he did at 309, then I'd give him an opening day shot. What's he up to now, any idea?

Direckshun
Uh, the Chiefs aren't in River Falls.
You see, when you reply like this, it kind of makes you look like a little bitch when you get all huffy at nitpickers of your work.

DaFace
06-24-2007, 10:26 PM
309? I'm pretty sure his doctors have specifically said his back can't handle that much weight anymore. I know this is all just a hypothetical, but I'd have to say no way.

Direckshun
I don't know. I don't like Terry at RT though. Maybe if Turley can really bulk it up to 315 - 320 and move like he did at 309, then I'd give him an opening day shot. What's he up to now, any idea?
Reports say he's just north of 300.

KurtCobain
If we sign Turley and he's kicking ass, they'd be dumb not to move him ahead of Terry.

Agreed.

Hammock Parties
06-24-2007, 10:27 PM
I don't like Terry at RT though.

Based on what?

KurtCobain
06-24-2007, 10:27 PM
Reports say he's just north of 300.

Really? No back problems reported?

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 10:29 PM
Really? No back problems reported?
None reported.

Don't know what that means in the big picture of things, however. Chiefs definitely have access to information on that front that we're nowhere near.

Dunit35
06-24-2007, 10:29 PM
I understand why the guy wants to come back, but I would think twice about coming back with the way his back seems to be.

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 10:30 PM
I understand why the guy wants to come back, but I would think twice about coming back with the way his back seems to be.
Not to mention gaining 30 pounds in 12 months. Eesh.

Dunit35
06-24-2007, 10:31 PM
Not to mention gaining 30 pounds in 12 months. Eesh.

Not worth it to me. Unless the guy just thinks he can't make enough money outside of football for the rest of his life and wants to risk not being able to lift heavy objects because of a severly damaged back.

CoMoChief
06-24-2007, 10:32 PM
I have absolutely no idea what you're getting at and I'm tempted to believe you may be trapped in an alternate dimension through some extra-sensory experience involving hash or blow and somehow believe you're replying appropriately to a topic about the Chiefs' RT.

It could be that you're just a ****ing moron.

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 10:33 PM
It could be that you're just a ****ing moron.
Could be.

But I fail to understand how Croyle has any impact on who the hell we should start at RT.

You want him to survive his first year, right?

KurtCobain
06-24-2007, 10:33 PM
Based on what?

I met him recently and he smelled horrible.

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 10:34 PM
I met him recently and he smelled horrible.
That must explain why Tony G always smells like freshly baked pumpernickel.

KurtCobain
06-24-2007, 10:36 PM
That must explain why Tony G always smells like freshly baked pumpernickel.

If Tony G has a bad year, it's because the foul odor that is Chris Terry has taken over the graceful scent of pumpernickel. And Gonzo is a man who plays as good as the field smells.

Eleazar
06-24-2007, 10:41 PM
Back problems don't just go away.

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 10:41 PM
If Tony G has a bad year, it's because the foul odor that is Chris Terry has taken over the graceful scent of pumpernickel. And Gonzo is a man who plays as good as the field smells.
I hear a cologne is in the works.

They're calling it: Reception.

KurtCobain
06-24-2007, 10:43 PM
I hear a cologne is in the works.

They're calling it: Reception.

nice.

KurtCobain
06-24-2007, 10:44 PM

What exactly were the problems?

Direckshun
06-24-2007, 10:47 PM
What exactly were the problems?
I'm not real sure, but they kept him out of football for two years, and then knocked him out of our 2006 season two games in. :shake:

booger
06-25-2007, 01:22 AM
Yup. What he said.

I love Turley's disposition and attitude.

There is another #74 that might be available via trade. That was a rumor earlier this offseason i haven't heard much more about.

Jacksonville signed Tony Pashos to be their new RT. I wouldn't mind trying to aquire this guy.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/235257

StcChief
06-25-2007, 04:47 AM
What did they do to his back to allow 309 on it....

FAX
06-25-2007, 07:59 AM
There once was a lineman named Turley
Who always showed up for camp early
He said, "I can still block!"
But the roids shrunk his cock,
And now the Chiefs have two Dick Curlys

FAX

Reerun_KC
06-25-2007, 08:01 AM

We wont go to the playoffs with Huard at the helm either... I would bet your bank account on that as well...

Reerun_KC
06-25-2007, 08:06 AM
IF he comes back and stays somewhat healthy through training camp and pre-seaon, then blows his back about game 4?

How far does that set Terry or anybody else back that could compete or grow in this position?

I sure hate to see the young guys lose experience, just for Turdley to come and blow his back up AGIAN!

sedated
06-25-2007, 08:23 AM
OLine is about consistency.

there's little chance he makes it the whole season at that weight.

so why risk shaking up the line into the season?

f*ck him.

htismaqe
06-25-2007, 09:17 AM
As has been said, OL play is about repetition and consistency.

Put together the line now and let them play together...

booger
06-25-2007, 09:26 AM
As has been said, OL play is about repetition and consistency.

Put together the line now and let them play together...

I highly agree.

What will be interesting is where the young buck backups will play.

Niswanger can play C or G and might challenge Wiegmann for the starting spot, supposedly anyway.

I think they should move Sampson to G to compete with welbourn, but he probably stays at RT.

I'd like to see them leave Svitek at LT. Problem is he could compete with Terry at RT. For the gameday inactive list it is nice to have a 3rd or swing T that plays both L and R. I just hate to see another Jordan Black problem with switching around and the player not being able to handle it.

Stallings should compete at G for a backup spot. We could bring him along slowly since he is probably a bit tired from NFLEL and cause bober can play anywhere but LT ( just not very effectively )

Kind of the same thing with Taylor. They want to work him at RT possibly some LT all while most projected him as a G prospect.

I think it's a good group of young guys, just interesting to see where they line them all up.

Chiefnj
06-25-2007, 09:29 AM
You play whoever is healthy and doing the best. I don't think you sit Turley because he has a history of injuries. If he is playing in the same form that he played in NO years ago, then he's the starter.

RustShack
06-25-2007, 12:28 PM
I thought Turley was only back up to 302? I guess its possible hes added 7 pounds in the last couple days though. I would love for them to pick him back up and fight it out with Terry for the RT spot. Both are proven players who can jump in right after the other one gets hurt. I also don't really get why some people are so down on Croyle... I think hes going to be a good QB for the Chiefs. Is it because he wasn't drafted #1 like Ryan Leaf? They are always saying you have to go with the proven player... well how did the proven player get started if you can't start a young QB?

bdeg
06-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Where are you guys getting this info on Turley?

KurtCobain
06-25-2007, 12:54 PM
I thought Turley was only back up to 302?

He's not saying he is back at 309, that's why it's theoretical. IF he can get back up to 309(and about) and compete throughout training camp without a single injury problem, then SHOULD e give him a chance to start at RT?

crazycoffey
06-25-2007, 01:00 PM
Turley had the fire in his play and this makes him a good player to have on your roster,

HOWEVER,

He was here, he can't compete like we would all like to see him compete for us, and now we are moving on without him.

Even if he gets up to 309. Turn the page on Turley, sorry.

Simply Red
06-25-2007, 01:07 PM
Gaz would know, but only FAX would answer in limerick form.

???

I'm pretty certain Gaz could answer in limerick form if he had to. :)

RustShack
06-25-2007, 02:07 PM
I think he has a better shot now that he weighs over 300lbs again instead of 280, I'm sure hes been working to get back into football shape. If not get him in before training camp and he should be good to go before the season. I admit he wasn't that great last year... but his weight was down and he was playing LT, his weights back up and hes a better RT, which is where he would play.

go bo
06-25-2007, 02:28 PM
herm will play the youngest guy he's got at rt (cf. youth movement)...

B_Ambuehl
06-25-2007, 02:31 PM
Even at 275 last year he was still better at RT than any of the other alternatives. If he's back and feeling good I get fired up thinking about him and Welbourn holding down the right side of that offensive line

htismaqe
06-25-2007, 02:52 PM
I think he has a better shot now that he weighs over 300lbs again instead of 280, I'm sure hes been working to get back into football shape. If not get him in before training camp and he should be good to go before the season. I admit he wasn't that great last year... but his weight was down and he was playing LT, his weights back up and hes a better RT, which is where he would play.

His weight was down because his back couldn't handle carrying the extra weight.

sedated
06-25-2007, 03:00 PM
His weight was down because his back couldn't handle carrying the extra weight.

has everyone forgotten this?

higher weight = back problems
lower weight = sucketh

there should be no discussion, he's done.

RustShack
06-25-2007, 05:10 PM
He could of slowly put the weight back on, strengthening his back and now it can handle the weight? Doctors were wrong about his back? Maybe if just couldn't for awhile but is strong now? Who knows crazy stuff happens.

FAX
06-25-2007, 05:16 PM
He could of slowly put the weight back on, strengthening his back and now it can handle the weight? Doctors were wrong about his back? Maybe if just couldn't for awhile but is strong now? Who knows crazy stuff happens.

First of all, you only have 15 posts and, to my knowledge, Mr. Phobia has not given you permission to post on this thread. Second of all, you've posted nothing but a series of questions and a bizarre statement about "crazy stuff". Ok, I can handle that. But, third of all, you have maligned the medical profession and there are sick people on this board.

Mr. RustShack (if that's your real name), you need to rethink your approach.

FAX

RustShack
06-25-2007, 06:59 PM
Yea I know because 15 posts shows how much I know about football. I actually have alot more posts on the other Chiefs Forum I get on, but I decided to join this one too. I guess your right, there is no doctor that has ever been wrong, and I have never been sick or hurt.

FAX
06-25-2007, 07:04 PM
Yea I know because 15 posts shows how much I know about football. I actually have alot more posts on the other Chiefs Forum I get on, but I decided to join this one too. I guess your right, there is no doctor that has ever been wrong, and I have never been sick or hurt.

Ah, crap.

Sorry about all that lashing out for no good reason, Mr. RustShack. It was a darn good post you made there and I'm just in a bad mood because I have to have a root canal and I need to buy a tv and nobody will help.

Anyway, you seem like a nice guy. So, I apologize and I'll try not to let it happen again.

Meanwhile, how do you think our o-line is going to fare this year? We've been spoiled for a long time.

FAX

RustShack
06-25-2007, 07:10 PM
I think McIntosh is a big improvment to the left side, Waters and Wiegmann are of course going to be fine (maybe Wiegmann can finaly make a pro bowl without Roaf and Shields there) I didn't think Welborn was too bad at RT, and hes a better RG. Terry is a proven player who can be a pretty good RT if he stays out of trouble, but he hasn't really played in a couple years. If Turley's back can handle playing at 302 (where he is now) or even back up to 309 I would much rather have him start. Overall I think it has improved from last year, but I do wish Shields would have stayed one more year to make it even better. I also really really like Sviteck, I think he's gonna be very good someday.

FAX
06-25-2007, 07:15 PM
I think McIntosh is a big improvment to the left side, Waters and Wiegmann are of course going to be fine (maybe Wiegmann can finaly make a pro bowl without Roaf and Shields there) I didn't think Welborn was too bad at RT, and hes a better RG. Terry is a proven player who can be a pretty good RT if he stays out of trouble, but he hasn't really played in a couple years. If Turley's back can handle playing at 302 (where he is now) or even back up to 309 I would much rather have him start. Overall I think it has improved from last year, but I do wish Shields would have stayed one more year to make it even better. I also really really like Sviteck, I think he's gonna be very good someday.

I hope you're right about Svitek, Mr. RustShack. There was a lot of noise around here in respect to his efforts in NFLE. He appeared to be the future answer for a while, then his name sort of vanished. I, for one, am pretty concerned about our line play this year. I worry that the combined loss of our big and medium Willies is going to really show.

But, here's to proving me wrong.

FAX

Direckshun
06-25-2007, 07:17 PM
Outside of your thoughts on Turley and your mangling of Svitek's name, I pretty much agree.

Our left side will be fine, I'm skittish about the old and underweight Wiegmann, and RT's going to be nothing but ???? until we finally see them play.

crazycoffey
06-25-2007, 07:17 PM
has everyone forgotten this?

higher weight = back problems
lower weight = sucketh

there should be no discussion, he's done.

hear ye, hear ye. I agree with Sedated,

that's all

RustShack
06-25-2007, 07:18 PM
Yea it definatly isn't what it used to be. I think it can be better than it was last year, and just as good as most other lines. I mean how many teams have at least 3 Pro Bowl Lineman every year. (shoulda been four if Weigmann didn't always get screwd)

Direckshun
06-25-2007, 07:31 PM
Yea it definatly isn't what it used to be. I think it can be better than it was last year, and just as good as most other lines. I mean how many teams have at least 3 Pro Bowl Lineman every year. (shoulda been four if Weigmann didn't always get screwd)
Not to mention our team sported a RT who ended up being the LT for the NFC champions.

Our OL was unbelievable.

sedated
06-25-2007, 07:36 PM
I agree with sedated

eveyone does, they just won't admit it

FAX
06-25-2007, 07:36 PM
That's what I mean. Our o-line has been the envy of the league for so long, this year could well represent a shocking departure from that which we've become accustomed.

It's like the difference between a guy who gets help with a tv puchasing decision and a guy who doesn't.

FAX

sedated
06-25-2007, 07:39 PM
Our o-line has been the envy of the league for so long, this year could well represent a shocking departure from that which we've become accustomed.

this year?

Direckshun
06-25-2007, 07:40 PM
I think we saw that shocking departure last year.

And honestly, it was Roaf holding this unit together during the Vermeil era. When Roaf missed the first six games of the 2005 season, we went 3-3. The rest of the season when he returned? 7-3.

So Roaf set this all in motion. Shields just makes it more obvious.

The good news is we can plug some of these holes with proven vets, and have washed our hands of Black. The bad news is... I don't know if we'll ever have that dominant OL again.

I've made this argument a hundred times on here, so forgive me for repeating myself, but I do think it's high time we accept nothing short of a stellar OL as tradition and make it our #1 priority for the rest of the franchise's existence. If that means paying through the nose for Faneca next offseason, and trading up to draft a stud LT next year, I'm for it.

KC should be home to a great defense and a great OL at all times. Under Herm's tenure, I think we're halfway there.

FAX
06-25-2007, 07:42 PM
this year?

Point.

FAX

Direckshun
06-25-2007, 07:47 PM
Okay, there's clearly no Chiefsplanet consensus on this issue. Other than option C, all the serious options have about the same number of votes.

I'm officially concerned.

B_Ambuehl
06-25-2007, 09:23 PM
What makes excessive weight hard on the back is if it's accompanied by excess fat and the movement impairments and flexibility issues that often occur from being a big guy and I don't think either of those are much of an issue for Turley. His weight was down because he had probably quit lifting (and likely juicing) during his time off from the Rams. Last offseason he decided to try and play tight end and never had enough time to get his weight back up. This offseason he's had plenty of time to lift (and likely juice) and get his weight back up. Additionally, - I'm sure he's kept up with a hardcore rehab program and I'd be surprised if his back isn't better now than it has been in that past few years.

bringbackmarty
06-25-2007, 09:37 PM
heh, gaz said cock, needs a root canal, and ripped a noob.
It's too bad he's on lortab if he wasn't he could watch some boob tube.
Turley's all set to return, but does he have a bad back?,
His sole believer is an true optimist, call sign: "rustshack"
Does any of this matter, of course not, there is no doubt,
because in 2007 big Larry is going to hold out.
King Carl will trade him to the bears, or the giants, you'll see....
Our right tackle in 2008 will be drafted in rounds 1,2, or three.......

DenverChief
06-25-2007, 09:38 PM

I have a new quote for my Sig

FAX
06-25-2007, 09:42 PM
heh, gaz said cock, needs a root canal, and ripped a noob.
It's too bad he's on lortab if he wasn't he could watch some boob tube.
Turley's all set to return, but does he have a bad back?,
His sole believer is an true optimist, call sign: "rustshack"
Does any of this matter, of course not, there is no doubt,
because in 2007 big Larry is going to hold out.
King Carl will trade him to the bears, or the giants, you'll see....
Our right tackle in 2008 will be drafted in rounds 1,2, or three.......

ROFL

Don't bogart that thing, Mr. bringbackmarty.

FAX

bringbackmarty
06-26-2007, 11:39 AM
shit, I wish I did drugs. Made a promise to some very important people not to. Might have to break it soon...

sedated
06-26-2007, 11:45 AM
he's on lortab

that shit sucks