PDA

View Full Version : Is this the world's messiest apartment?

TinyEvel
06-26-2007, 09:02 AM
A woman I work with would talk about her "hermit neighbor," an old man who lived in the apartment across the hall from her. He lived by himself with a couple of cats in a three-bedroom unit. She said you could SMELL his apartment from the hall.

Well, I guess the poor old fella passed away last week. After the coroner removed his body, the landlord opened up the place to clean it out. This is what he found (pics posted separately, below)

My friend went in and took a few quick pics while holding her breath. It's hard to believe living like this. Apparently the guy got out every day, went for walks. I guess he just liked it this way? She said there were two bedrooms they couldn't even get into because they couldn't push open the door. It was blocked by the junk in the room.

Oh yeah, there was only one cat int he apartment. That is, one alive cat. They found the carcass of the other one in one of the rooms. They figured it had died about a year ago.

I guess if there's any point in this, maybe if you know someone who's living like this and you think they would want and could use some help out of it, offer it up. Though, I know some people somehow enjoy this lifestyle, I can't believe they would on purpose.

TinyEvel
06-26-2007, 09:03 AM
living room

TinyEvel
06-26-2007, 09:03 AM
kitchen

TinyEvel
06-26-2007, 09:04 AM
more living room

Direckshun
06-26-2007, 09:05 AM
Looks nice.

Iowanian
I've seen rental houses that bad, and maybe worse.

Some people just live like pigs, well, other than a pig won't shit where it eats.

Bonus. Biwilli just found his price range luxury apartment.

Donger
Well, at least he was exercising.

Buehler445
06-26-2007, 09:06 AM
That looks wonderful. I know my girlfriend watches some show about animal police or something on Animal Planet, and they have some pretty gross people on there. People have like 1 BR houses with 60 or so cats, and excrament everywhere. Pretty terrible.

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-26-2007, 09:06 AM
Looks like a few of my rental properties I've had to clean up.

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-26-2007, 09:08 AM
Looks like he tripped coming in the door after a walmart shopping trip. 5000 times.

Bugeater
06-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Meh, I've spent a good part of my life reconditioning apartments and rental homes and I've seen some just as bad, if not worse. It's also not real uncommon for elderly people who grew up during the depression to not want to throw things away, you never know when you might need it again. My grandparents were like that, their attic and spare bedrooms were just jam-packed with what was basically junk. They did keep the main living areas clean though.

Baby Lee
06-26-2007, 09:21 AM
Not the worst by far.
Sometimes it seems I can start the week with a spotless living room, and it'll look like that by the end of the week.

Saulbadguy
06-26-2007, 09:24 AM
That's not bad. There are no feces littering the place.

BigMeatballDave
06-26-2007, 09:27 AM
Looks like my sons' Grandmothers' place.

kepp
06-26-2007, 09:33 AM
He had a dustcover on the TV though. That's important.

Scaga
06-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Looks just like my 16 year old daughter's room....
on a good day. (but without the dead cat...yet)

Jenson71
06-26-2007, 10:05 AM
That's hideous.

rageeumr
06-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Sweet. I now have ammunition for the next time that the wife bitches at me for being messy.

UL Washington
06-26-2007, 10:21 AM
That's about equivelent to the house on Little People, Big World.

ChiefsfaninPA
06-26-2007, 10:24 AM
Growing up I had a friend who's mom collected everything she could get her hands on and never threw stuff out. His house looked worse than that. I won't even get into the smell.

Wile_E_Coyote
06-26-2007, 10:26 AM
The old man will not go unforgotten, for awhile

luv
06-26-2007, 10:26 AM
I suddenly feel a little less guilty about the dishes I've let pile up a little in the sink.

BucEyedPea
06-26-2007, 10:27 AM
As far as I know, that's a symptom of depression as well as living in the past.

Kraut
06-26-2007, 10:28 AM
That's not bad. There are no feces littering the place.
That's always a big PLUS !!! :)

Groves
06-26-2007, 10:32 AM
looks like my wife's husband's place...oh wait.

Rain Man
06-26-2007, 10:52 PM
Based on the areas where it looks like pictures fell down, I'm guessing that the walls are supposed to be white?

And by the way, my parents had that exact same horse painting in our house growing up.

Bugeater
06-26-2007, 10:56 PM
Based on the areas where it looks like pictures fell down, I'm guessing that the walls are supposed to be white?

Yep, the walls are nicotine stained. The guy must have smoked profusely and never opened up a window.

Rain Man
06-26-2007, 10:57 PM
Ah. Nicotine. That would make sense.

So why did it not stain the area above the lamp, though?

Bugeater
06-26-2007, 11:01 PM
Ah. Nicotine. That would make sense.

So why did it not stain the area above the lamp, though?
Since the ceiling looks dirtier directly above lamp, I'd guess it has something to do with heat rising from the lamp and forcing the smoke up toward the ceiling instead of the wall. It also doesn't collect in the corners because there is no air movement.

Frazod
06-26-2007, 11:15 PM
I've seen far, far worse. A guy in my division on the ship invited me and a couple of other guys over to his house once. He lived in a nice, new construction house in a new subdivision in Virginia Beach, which made what we saw when we walked in the front door all the more disturbing. The house was FILTHY. Those pictures below are mostly cluttered - there's a big difference. This house I saw was FILTHY. This guy had a wife (who was clearly a complete pig) and two (IIRC) little kids. There was garbage everywhere - not just empty boxes, but half-eaten food garbage. I don't think I saw a clean square inch in the place. Heaps of trash, SMELLY trash, everywhere, in some places higher than I was tall. The walls, carpeting, everything was basically destroyed, and the house couldn't have been more than a couple of years old. I didn't venture into the bathroom, but my friend who did said that the inside of the supposed-to-be white bathtub was black. It was like something you'd see from crackhead squatters, not a young married couple. The oddest thing was WHAT WAS THIS GUY THINKING inviting people over? Did he think we wouldn't notice? Or care? Good God, the memory of that place still grosses me out over 20 years later.

At one point, he asked me if I wanted anything to eat, and I replied that I'd just grab something off the floor. Obviously, we didn't stay long.

If they did rent, as I assume they did, I can't imagine what the landlord would have had to go through to clean the place up. I personally would have just torched the place for the insurance money.

Yuck. :Lin:

ChiefFan31
06-27-2007, 01:51 AM
Its not messy....its Cozy.

munkey
06-27-2007, 08:36 AM
I've seen far, far worse. A guy in my division on the ship invited me and a couple of other guys over to his house once. He lived in a nice, new construction house in a new subdivision in Virginia Beach, which made what we saw when we walked in the front door all the more disturbing. The house was FILTHY. Those pictures below are mostly cluttered - there's a big difference. This house I saw was FILTHY. This guy had a wife (who was clearly a complete pig) and two (IIRC) little kids. There was garbage everywhere - not just empty boxes, but half-eaten food garbage. I don't think I saw a clean square inch in the place. Heaps of trash, SMELLY trash, everywhere, in some places higher than I was tall. The walls, carpeting, everything was basically destroyed, and the house couldn't have been more than a couple of years old. I didn't venture into the bathroom, but my friend who did said that the inside of the supposed-to-be white bathtub was black. It was like something you'd see from crackhead squatters, not a young married couple. The oddest thing was WHAT WAS THIS GUY THINKING inviting people over? Did he think we wouldn't notice? Or care? Good God, the memory of that place still grosses me out over 20 years later.

At one point, he asked me if I wanted anything to eat, and I replied that I'd just grab something off the floor. Obviously, we didn't stay long.

If they did rent, as I assume they did, I can't imagine what the landlord would have had to go through to clean the place up. I personally would have just torched the place for the insurance money.

Yuck. :Lin:

A perfect description of my sister in law and her husband... :shake:

gblowfish
06-27-2007, 08:44 AM
Looks like my wife is giving them housekeeping tips....

Did I say that out loud?