PDA

View Full Version : Royal Proposal

Jordan
06-26-2007, 09:51 AM
Just throwing this out there:

Taking into account the article a few weeks back (in the KC Star) regarding the trading of David DeJesus:

Though I am a big DeJesus fan, I agreed with the piece. By the time the Royals are able to contend, DeJesuss' borderline skill set will be on a stady decline. As of now he is coveted by a few contenders, and given his 2 years remaining on his contract he could atleast fetch a few good young arms.

Given this, and the fact Mike Sweeney's $11 million will come off the books next year, I think we should go after Aaron Rowand.

Rowand said it himself, he will be the scrap in this years free agency roundup (in regard to CF'ers). Cameron, A. Jones, Griffey, etc. stand to be the front runners in the offseason, and I think we could legitimately snag Rowand early and cheap - considering the numbers he is capable of putting up, and that he's putting up this year.

Curious to see what others think.....

sedated
06-26-2007, 09:57 AM
i saw nothing about trading Dejesus.

is Rowand younger? if not, what would be the point?

eazyb81
06-26-2007, 10:02 AM
I see Rowand as a similar player to DDJ, and one who's skills will diminish fairly quickly.

Personally, I'd love to see us put Gathright in center and keep him there all year. He had great numbers in Omaha this year, and he has excellent range in center.

Jordan
06-26-2007, 02:45 PM
I see Rowand as a similar player to DDJ, and one who's skills will diminish fairly quickly.

Personally, I'd love to see us put Gathright in center and keep him there all year. He had great numbers in Omaha this year, and he has excellent range in center.

Good points....here is a breakdown of the 2 players:

Rowand (in his last full season - w/ ChiSox: .270, 13HR, 69RBI, 77R, 16SB....but 116K's.

DeJesus (last year): .295, 8HR, 56RBI, 83R, 6SB....only 70K's

Looking at these lines, I agree - not much of an upgrade. However, Rowand has spectacular range in CF....with a bit of an arm. He also adds more of a threat on the basepaths (as he stole 16 that year for a ChiSox team that didn't really run much). Also, I like Rowands "Dykstra-esque" hustle (i.e. slamming into the CF wall last year AND holding onto the catch while injuring himself)

Who do you think we should covet for a future CF'er (if anyone) this offseason? Think practical. I'd love to see Torii Hunter in Royal Blue, but I don't know if that could happen. Though with the $11 million off the books, who knows? Plus, then he could LEGALLY give the clubhouse some Dom this time.

Sure-Oz
06-26-2007, 02:55 PM
I really think DDJ should be in left and gathright in CF right now, they have had communication issues lately

sedated
06-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Gathright in center and keep him there all year.

he is fast, but lacks OF instinct. (maybe that's because he is out of position in LF, i dunno :shrug: )

DeJesus' speed may slide a bit, but he's got a better bat (than Rowand) and could be moved to batting 2nd when his legs slow.

and who's to say he is the 'type who will diminish' anyway?

Sure-Oz
06-26-2007, 02:59 PM
he is fast, but lacks OF instinct. (maybe that's because he is out of position in LF, i dunno :shrug: )

DeJesus' speed may slide a bit, but he's got a better bat (than Rowand) and could be moved to batting 2nd when his legs slow.

and who's to say he is the 'type who will diminish' anyway?
I have a feeling DDJ will slow down overall and has reached his peak, rowand has some power that DDJ does not.

sedated
06-26-2007, 03:14 PM
I have a feeling DDJ will slow down overall and has reached his peak, rowand has some power that DDJ does not.

he's only 28.

how old is Hunter? (32)

Edmonds? (37) (he didn't start to decline until probably 3 or 4 years ago)

Pitt Gorilla
06-26-2007, 03:17 PM
I'd love to go after Rowand. Someone would have to give up some real quality to get DDJ, though.

CHENZ A!
06-26-2007, 03:19 PM
I don't think that we can afford to have Gathright and DeJesus in the same OF, we desperately need to get some more power from our corner OF spots, especially since Teahen is taking one of those spots, and he isn't exactly a HR/RBI machine.

Pitt Gorilla
06-26-2007, 03:20 PM
I don't think that we can afford to have Gathright and DeJesus in the same OF, we desperately need to get some more power from our corner OF spots, especially since Teahen is taking one of those spots, and he isn't exactly a HR/RBI machine.Actually, Teahen hits incredibly well with RISP. Where are you getting your info?

CHENZ A!
06-26-2007, 03:24 PM
Actually, Teahen hits incredibly well with RISP. Where are you getting your info?

Just from watching nearly every game this year, and attending 6 so far. If you're looking for stats, I'm not your guy, I just call 'em like I see 'em.

BigChiefFan
06-26-2007, 03:29 PM
It's not a bad idea. DeJesus will never bat for power and if we can get more in return, I'm all for it.

Jordan
06-26-2007, 03:44 PM
I think the big issue here is that by having DeJesus and Gathright in the same OF, we are screwing our lineup. Teahen is a good hitter with RISP, but he will never hit 40 HR's....which is what you look for in a corner OFer. I am ok with Teahen not hitting that many longballs as he does many other things, but we need to offset that with another corner OF (or CF) that caqn rake. Hunter fills that void, but what's his price? I think we can get the same (but a bit diluted) from Rowand at a cheaper price, move him to left, plat Gathright in Center, and have corner power - CF speed - and one hell of a fielding OF.

Tho, we'll still need a leadoff hitter & SS. I say we go after Clint Barmes to play SS (as Tulowitzski overtook his spot) and try to jock a speedy 2B to fill the leadoff void. But this is all VERY wishful thinking.

Yes, I would love to have DJJ hit 2nd, but that means we need a good leadoff - which Gathright is not....he's a prototypical 9 hitter. Plus, DJJ already proved he will lose a step as he has already slowed in range from last year.

tk13
06-26-2007, 04:10 PM
I think we can get by with DeJesus, Teahen, (undetermined OF with some pop), Gathright as our 4 main outfielders. I hope DeJesus can develop more power much like Johnny Damon did, not sure if that's going to happen but I always thought DeJesus could develop into a 15-20 homer guy. Hopefully Teahen's power continues to develop too, his peak years are ahead of him. It's hard to say because the K isn't a real good place to hit HR's. I don't think we're ever gonna have a team full of mashers. I'm okay with that as long as we put a pretty solid defense out there. We aren't too far off, if Gathright can communicate with everyone out there. Sometimes it's almost like he covers too much ground in LF. If we can get some good starting pitching, we'll win some games.

cookster50
06-26-2007, 05:01 PM
I really think DDJ should be in left and gathright in CF right now, they have had communication issues lately
You need power out of your corner OF. DDJ != power

Sure-Oz
06-26-2007, 05:09 PM
Yeah, more power than gathrights 1 career HR, trade DDJ imo.

sedated
06-26-2007, 06:06 PM
players do continue to develope past the age of 26, ya know.

baseball is about a certain level of patience.

lets just go ahead and fire Dayton Moore, too. he hasn't done enough in his year.

Jordan
06-27-2007, 08:35 AM
players do continue to develope past the age of 26, ya know.

baseball is about a certain level of patience.

lets just go ahead and fire Dayton Moore, too. he hasn't done enough in his year.

A certain level of patience, yes. However, when you are unable to reach balls you were getting to the prior year, that indicates a regression in skills. He may continue to develop more power, but his speed is deteriorating as speed is usually the first skill set to diminish.

As for the Dayton Moore firing comment.....come on buddy! That compairison is ridiculous. We are talking about a ballplayer with a skill set that is borderline for an MLB team. However, his heart and desire have made him into a servicable CF...very good even....that's when you sell high.

Compairing that to a GM that learned under the great John Shureholtz (SP?), already has proven his ability to change the direction of the club, and saying he has 1 year to do something is crazy. Besides, what id "enough" for you?

Is it being able to go into the best AL teams house and win a series?....cause we're going for the sweep in Aneheim tonight, after tearing up the NL.

Is it being able to scout talent and getting players to come to your city?....Cause Meche has looked good, Berroa got jettisoned, Soria has a future (rule 5 guy), Dotel has resurged his career, etc. etc. etc.

Moore has done a fabulouse job! DJJ is a great player. However, you can sell high on a player and come out ahead...I don't think you can do that with a GM.

Demonpenz
06-27-2007, 08:41 AM
Teahan is on pace for 100 rbi's

Eleazar
06-27-2007, 08:44 AM
David is an average major league player. I doubt that there will be too many teams beating our door down to acquire him.

Eleazar
06-27-2007, 08:45 AM

Well, if we're going to eliminate people lacking in 1 tool, Gathright is lacking in 4 of them.

eazyb81
06-27-2007, 08:49 AM
Well, if we're going to eliminate people lacking in 1 tool, Gathright is lacking in 4 of them.

Gathright has shown the ability to hit for average in the minors, and he has the potential to be a plus defender in center. His range is already much greater than DDJ's.

Jordan
06-27-2007, 09:24 AM

Gathright was on base 4 times last night and stole a base.

If he can pull it together offensively, he'll be a great speed addition to our team as he already plays a great OF.

duncan_idaho
06-27-2007, 09:36 AM
I would have no problem with losing David DeJesus if it meant bringing in Aaron Rowand.... however, Rowand is one of the top 5 CFs in the game. He's not as fast at Gathright, but he's plenty fast. If they brought in Rowand, I think you've got to expect Gathright to stay put in left. And that' fine, because Gathright, Rowand and Teahen would be one of the best defensive outfields in baseball ... at least in terms of range.

The Royals don't have to have 40 HR guys to be a winning team... I don't think the Twins have had a single 40 HR guy during their run... just 2-3 30-35 HR guys and plenty of professional hitters.

Eleazar
06-27-2007, 09:36 AM
Gathright has shown the ability to hit for average in the minors, and he has the potential to be a plus defender in center. His range is already much greater than DDJ's.

He was hitting .300 in the minors 3 or 4 years ago too. That's not new.

He has 700 at bats in the majors and is about a .250 hitter. Maybe he will miraculously turn into the second coming of Kenny Lofton, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Gathright was on base 4 times last night and stole a base.

Well, if we're going to cherry pick then how about Saturday when he was 0 for 5 with two strikeouts?

Exceptions don't prove generalizations wrong. His ceiling is a 4th outfielder.

duncan_idaho
06-27-2007, 09:48 AM
He was hitting .300 in the minors 3 or 4 years ago too. That's not new.

He has 700 at bats in the majors and is about a .250 hitter. Maybe he will miraculously turn into the second coming of Kenny Lofton, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Well, if we're going to cherry pick then how about Saturday when he was 0 for 5 with two strikeouts?

Exceptions don't prove generalizations wrong. His ceiling is a 4th outfielder.

He also has FINALLY changed his approach at the plate - taking more pitches, working counts, bunting more. Those are the things managers have been trying to get him to do for years. He's finally doing them - that's the difference.

I'm willing to give him a fair amount of time and see if he can maintain this level of success. If Gathright can even hit .280 and get on base at a .370 clip, he's a good starter in the scott podsednik mold.

Sure-Oz
06-27-2007, 09:56 AM
Gathrights problem was OBP. if he can get a sold clip of that he can be a successful mlb player.

cookster50
06-27-2007, 11:03 AM
Gathright has no business being a corner outfielder either. If the Gathright from the minors this year is the real Gathright, he'd make a pretty good CF. If that isn't the real Gathright, then a 4th or 5th outfielder is his only chance.

ChiefsCountry
06-27-2007, 11:07 AM
We just need Gathright and DeJesus just get on base and play good defense. Gordon, Butler, Teahen, and Buck will knock them ala like the Royals of the late 70's and 80's.