PDA

View Full Version : American Hardcore

MOhillbilly
06-26-2007, 11:13 AM
http://www.sonyclassics.com/americanhardcore/

whos seen it?
i thought it was very well done, though i got tired of hearing about the Bad Brains and kinda wished theyd have put acouple other bands in and alittle more focus on others.
Jack Grisham of TSOL had some good lines and the dude from gwar talking about dave from MDC being a homo and the skinheads reaction was comedy.

The book on the other hand i thought kinda stank. Misfits aint ****ing hardcore.

longer trailer on youtube-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZYF7zAjOmE

Simply Red
06-26-2007, 11:16 AM
http://www.sonyclassics.com/americanhardcore/

whos seen it?
i thought it was very well done, though i got tired of hearing about the Bad Brains and kinda wished theyd have put acouple other bands in and alittle more focus on others.
Jack Grisham of TSOL had some good lines and the dude from gwar talking about dave from MDC being a homo and the skinheads reaction was comedy.

The book on the other hand i thought kinda stank. Misfits aint ****ing hardcore.

longer trailer on youtube-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZYF7zAjOmE

Off the topic a slight bit.

Meatpuppets, Agent Orange and one of your fav's Suicidal Tendencies..

MOhillbilly
06-26-2007, 11:20 AM
Off the topic a slight bit.

Meatpuppets, Agent Orange and one of your fav's Suicidal Tendencies..

they had the guys from meatpuppets and agent orange in the book.

They talked abit more atlength about the crews(like i never knew bad religion was a LADS band).

Simply Red
06-26-2007, 11:28 AM
they had the guys from meatpuppets and agent orange in the book.

They talked abit more atlength about the crews(like i never knew bad religion was a LADS band).

Nor did I. Wow.

Early Butthole Surfers were nice as well. Most notably; "Locust abortion technician."

MOhillbilly
06-26-2007, 11:35 AM
Nor did I. Wow.

Early Butthole Surfers were nice as well. Most notably; "Locust abortion technician."

i seen the surfers w/ either the meatmen,dead milkmen or 7 seconds somewhere in the mid/late 80s. it was a good pit all the local mob turned out.

Simply Red
06-26-2007, 11:35 AM
I guess you are concurring?

:)

MOhillbilly
06-26-2007, 11:37 AM
I guess you are concurring?

:)

lol im so excited to talk about something other than buttrock,i just hit submit reply before i typed. ADHD thing.:)

pikesome
06-26-2007, 11:39 AM
My only complaint was they could have spent more time discussing the family tree. Still a decent flick, I was unaware of CoC's position in the Hardcore scene. I knew they had morphed over the years but I hadn't given much thought to their early stuff.

Simply Red
06-26-2007, 11:42 AM
lol im so excited to talk about something other than buttrock,i just hit submit reply before i typed. ADHD thing.:)
Oh crap you have ADD as well?

What about the MinuteMen? Do you remember them?

MOhillbilly
06-26-2007, 11:43 AM
My only complaint was they could have spent more time discussing the family tree. Still a decent flick, I was unaware of CoC's position in the Hardcore scene. I knew they had morphed over the years but I hadn't given much thought to their early stuff.

early COC stuff like 'Redneck' is great shit,hell the 1st three albums are hard as it came. What do you mean when you say the 'family tree'?

MOhillbilly
06-26-2007, 11:46 AM
Oh crap you have ADD as well?

What about the MinuteMen? Do you remember them?

i love all the old shit. i have the very first minutemen 7" first agent orange album,i got lots of records 600+ maybe 98% hardcore. mike watt does about 20 minutes of interview tellin about early black flag and where the adolescents first show was cops beating the shit outta kids after the show.

pikesome
06-26-2007, 11:46 AM
early COC stuff like 'Redneck' is great shit,hell the 1st three albums are hard as it came. What do you mean when you say the 'family tree'?

The relationships between bands of the era are, IMHO, the most fascinating aspect. They covered alot of it but there was so much more that could have been covered. It still gets a thumbs up but the history buff in me would have enjoyed more depth in that respect.

Simply Red
06-26-2007, 11:50 AM
are the Circle Jerks or Social Distortion mentioned/shown?

NewChief
06-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Yeah, I loved it. I think there's a thread in Media Center discussing it as well. I liked the footage of Henry Rollins finally getting sick of someone ****ing with him and issuing a beat down from onstage.

In a similar vein, check out Towncraft (http://www.towncraftmovie.com/) if you get a chance. The website alone is definitely worth checking out as it has some really cool stuff on it. It probably has more meaning if you active in the Little Rock scene of the 80s and 90s, but it's cool regardless.

Edit: The website does have a section for National Scene Stories as well as Local (Little Rock) ones.

pikesome
06-26-2007, 11:56 AM

I believe so but, and I might be remembering wrong, SD didn't get as much mention as I thought they might. Maybe they fell outside the time period the movie was focusing on? It's been a while since I've seen it.

Simply Red
06-26-2007, 11:58 AM
Is Jello (freakboy) in it?

Simply Red
06-26-2007, 12:05 PM
Is Jello (freakboy) in it?
you know from DK.

MOhillbilly
06-26-2007, 12:51 PM

i dont think mike ness appeared but the singer from circle jerks is interviewed. besides after watching another state of mind thats enough mike ness.

MOhillbilly
06-26-2007, 12:53 PM
you know from DK.

i think just shots of his band i know hes in the book abit. never liked DK much but thay had cool shirts. i rolled a car and when the highway patrolman showed i had a DK shirt on, the one with jesus on the dollar cross.
yikes!

Simply Red
06-26-2007, 12:54 PM
Did it start off acknowledging The New York Dolls as the birth of punk. If so; I have seen it.

MOhillbilly
06-26-2007, 12:55 PM
Yeah, I loved it. I think there's a thread in Media Center discussing it as well. I liked the footage of Henry Rollins finally getting sick of someone ****ing with him and issuing a beat down from onstage.

In a similar vein, check out Towncraft (http://www.towncraftmovie.com/) if you get a chance. The website alone is definitely worth checking out as it has some really cool stuff on it. It probably has more meaning if you active in the Little Rock scene of the 80s and 90s, but it's cool regardless.

Edit: The website does have a section for National Scene Stories as well as Local (Little Rock) ones.

the mission of burhma/ negative FX footage was great. riot, choke screams at the promoter ' we aint gonna ****in stop' fire up 'might makes right' owner pulls the plug on the building.

haha

MOhillbilly
06-26-2007, 01:14 PM
I think there's a thread in Media Center discussing it as well.

i did a search an nada. link?

Simply Red
06-26-2007, 01:22 PM
Did it start off acknowledging The New York Dolls as the birth of punk. If so; I have seen it.
2ND ATTEMPT!

MOhillbilly
06-26-2007, 01:29 PM
2ND ATTEMPT!

it doesnt really talk much about the 77 thing or much OI!(Blitz is the only refrence i recall). theres abit on the deadboys(my fav) and some mention of NYD. but 99% of it is 79-86 punk.

PBS had a special w/ the NYD awhile back. did you catch it?

Simply Red
06-26-2007, 01:33 PM
it doesnt really talk much about the 77 thing or much OI!(Blitz is the only refrence i recall). theres abit on the deadboys(my fav) and some mention of NYD. but 99% of it is 79-86 punk.

PBS had a special w/ the NYD awhile back. did you catch it?
The one I saw was on Sundance and they focused on The NY Dolls and Sex Pistols mostly. Hell, me thinksy they even had The Ramones on there.

NewChief
06-26-2007, 02:15 PM
i did a search an nada. link?

Yeah, actually it wasn't a full thread. It's in this thread. Not really much discussion anyway.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=3796988&highlight=hardcore#post3796988