PDA

View Full Version : "Dre Bly" is an overated signing

Red Dawg
06-27-2007, 07:17 PM
IMHO. He's never faced tough competion in the NFC West nor in the black and blue division. I look forward to Bowe catching the ball and knocking him senseless with a stiff arm.

I expect some highlight reals in Iraq.

Hammock Parties
06-27-2007, 07:29 PM
He's pretty small. With their horrible D-line, I don't think any corner is going to make much of a difference. I'll definitely take 6-2 Bowe over 5-9 Bly.

shrek6849
06-27-2007, 07:29 PM
:homer:

BWillie
06-27-2007, 07:39 PM
I would love to have Dre Bly, but not at the money the Broncos are paying him. We have two good corners, but after that it gets pretty ugly. Michael Bragg or Benny Sapp is going to have to play the nickel. I hope to god Surtain or Law doesn't get hurt.

Bowser
06-27-2007, 07:39 PM
IMO, he's good, not great. He might put up some big INT numbers playing opposite of Champ.

Law & Surtain > Dre Bly

Champ Bailey > Law & Surtain

B_Ambuehl
06-27-2007, 07:42 PM
He'll be damn good in Denvers defense. They play a TON of pressure man and that RCB slot has been a problem now for the past couple of years because teams don't want to throw to Champ Bailey. Reggie Wayne had a career day last year against them and I don't think Payton Manning through to the right side of the field once.

Bowser
06-27-2007, 07:43 PM
He'll be damn good in Denvers defense. They play a TON of pressure man and that RCB slot has been a problem now for the past couple of years because teams don't want to throw to Champ Bailey. Reggie Wayne had a career day last year against them and I don't think Payton Manning through to the right side of the field once.

Why would you, when you have a 6'3 Reggie Wayne going against a 5'8 Darrent Williams?

Direckshun
06-27-2007, 07:44 PM
I think Bly will be one of the best #2 corners in the league.

Thing is, the Donkeys are paying him like a #1.

Worth it? Perhaps. The DL is once again a question mark and while their LB corps will be solid, they've lost Al Wilson. With ???s all around and Ferguson himself being inconsistent, you need the best corners you can get.

The Donks got 'em. I'm wondering if the rest of the D can follow their lead.

Hammock Parties
06-27-2007, 07:44 PM
Why would you, when you have a 6'3 Reggie Wayne going against a 5'8 Darrent Williams?

Reggie Wayne is 6-0.

pikesome
06-27-2007, 07:45 PM
I think Bly will be one of the best #2 corners in the league.

Thing is, the Donkeys are paying him like a #1.

Worth it? Perhaps. The DL is once again a question mark and while their LB corps will be solid, they've lost Al Wilson. With ???s all around and Ferguson himself being inconsistent, you need the best corners you can get.

The Donks got 'em. I'm wondering if the rest of the D can follow their lead.

Can I get you to write my posts for me? :) What he said. :thumb:

ZootedGranny
06-27-2007, 07:47 PM
text

Exactly.

Bowser
06-27-2007, 07:48 PM
Reggie Wayne is 6-0.

I'll be damned. :hmmm:

I guess it's just me, but I always thought he towered over Marvin Harrison, who is 6 foot.

B_Ambuehl
06-27-2007, 07:48 PM
Height wasn't a factor in the day Reggie Wayne had against Denver.

Direckshun
06-27-2007, 07:49 PM
Height wasn't a factor in the day Reggie Wayne had against Denver.
I don't think so, either.

I think it was a great WR and one of the greatest QBs of all time having a career day against an otherwise stingy defense.

Hammock Parties
06-27-2007, 07:50 PM
It's just that Bly has been the best corner everywhere he's been. How will he handle being picked on?

Hammock Parties
06-27-2007, 07:51 PM
I don't think so, either.

I think it was a great WR and one of the greatest QBs of all time having a career day against an otherwise stingy defense.

Denver's defense wasn't that great last year. They got rolled by almost anyone that had a marquee offensive player.

bdeg
06-27-2007, 08:10 PM
Denver's defense wasn't that great last year. They got rolled by almost anyone that had a marquee offensive player.
They held us to 2 FG's in Denver didn't they? I'm pretty sure you'd classify LJ as a marquee offensive player.

Hammock Parties
06-27-2007, 08:11 PM
They held us to 2 FG's in Denver didn't they? I'm pretty sure you'd classify LJ as a marquee offensive player.

"almost" being the key word.

Sanka
06-27-2007, 08:21 PM
It's just that Bly has been the best corner everywhere he's been. How will he handle being picked on?

*cough* Anelius(SP) Williams *cough*

Bowser
06-27-2007, 08:23 PM
*cough* Anelius(SP) Williams *cough*

Aeneas Williams was a safety in St. Louis.

HemiEd
06-27-2007, 08:24 PM
I would love to have Dre Bly, but not at the money the Broncos are paying him. We have two good corners, but after that it gets pretty ugly. Michael Bragg or Benny Sapp is going to have to play the nickel. I hope to god Surtain or Law doesn't get hurt.

I hope Law wears the right shoes every game and can keep from falling down.

Rasputin
06-27-2007, 08:53 PM
Denver got an old DT Sam Adams, last year Sam Adams played for the Bungles and they had perhaps one of the worst pass defense in the nfl.
Sam Adams is huge and can take up space though and I don't know if he is going to be that much of a help for them. I sure hope not.

I like our chances running the ball on them without Al Wilson, but being able to pass may be tuff with Dre Bly and Chump Baily.
I didn't hear Chump Baily call us "Soft" last year, and I don't expect him to say that again this year.

I hate the Broncos
I hate the Broncos
I hate the Broncos
I hate the Broncos
I hate the Broncos

Benny Sapp needs to take his game to the next level.
We are so screwed if anything happens to either Pat or Ty. STFU

Sanka
06-27-2007, 08:57 PM
Aeneas Williams was a safety in St. Louis.
Was he? I swore he didn't play safety for them till his final 2 seasons.

Sam Hall
06-27-2007, 09:15 PM
Not to defend Denver, but they had to do something after Darrent Williams was killed. Bly is probably the best they could do. I don't know much about him but I know he's been respected for a number of years going back to college.

OctoberFart
06-27-2007, 10:02 PM
Regardless of Bly's ability only a queef homer would expect a rookie WR to make a big impact.

listopencil
06-27-2007, 10:22 PM
He's had some success as a #1 CB, now he'll be playing at the #2 CB spot. Common sense dictates that he should be a better #2 than #1. Over rated? That's subjective.

Law & Surtain > Dre Bly

Champ Bailey > Law & Surtain

You left out one part.

Bailey & Bly > Law & Surtain.

Hammock Parties
06-27-2007, 10:23 PM
Deflection.

Bowser
06-27-2007, 10:24 PM
Regardless of Bly's ability only a queef homer would expect a rookie WR to make a big impact.

Tell us again how JaMarcus Russell is going to light up the AFC West. :rolleyes:

Sam Hall
06-27-2007, 10:25 PM
Tell us again how JaMarcus Russell is going to light up the AFC West. :rolleyes:

He has Dominic Rhodes in the backfield
:)

Bowser
06-27-2007, 10:26 PM
Was he? I swore he didn't play safety for them till his final 2 seasons.

You may be right. His first year there might have been at corner. But was Bly a starter or just nickle back then? :shrug:

Direckshun
06-27-2007, 10:58 PM
He's had some success as a #1 CB, now he'll be playing at the #2 CB spot. Common sense dictates that he should be a better #2 than #1. Over rated? That's subjective.

You left out one part.

Bailey & Bly > Law & Surtain.
No shit? Saying someone is "overrated" is a subjective assessment?

Jesus, I'm glad you guys swing by these threads from time to time to enlighten us that the sky is blue and grass is green. Perhaps you could spare a moment to educate me on "shapes" next.

You can't compare the two sets of CBs anyway. Denver plays primarily man coverage and the Chiefs play cover 2. You might as well be comparing apples and oranges, and considering how well you understand subjectivity you'd probably be the first to tell me that apples and oranges are in fact two incomparable types of fruit.

It doesn't matter anyway, because Surtain&Law and Bailey&Bly are two of the NFL's most coveted CB teams: Surtain (2) & Law (4): 6 combined Pro Bowls. Bailey (7) & Bly (2): 9 combined Pro Bowls. Surtain (33) & Law (46): 79 career INTs. Bailey (39) & Bly (33): 72 career INTs.
Both are badass squads and are both Top 5 units in the NFL.

Valiant
06-27-2007, 11:24 PM
Well just like the Chiefs if Denver gets no pressure again it will not matter how well there #2 and nickel corner play because everybody is going to convert 1sts on them..

That and heres to hoping that Champ slips up this year...

Sanka
06-28-2007, 12:02 AM
You may be right. His first year there might have been at corner. But was Bly a starter or just nickle back then? :shrug:
The second time around for the Rams making a SB appearance, Williams was one of the CB's. Im not sure if Bly started over McCleon.

Ebolapox
06-28-2007, 12:18 AM
yeah, IIRC, williams was a cornerback until literally his last two seasons in the nfl... as a matter of fact, bly may have been the nickel their SB year

Anyong Bluth
06-28-2007, 12:55 AM
REPEAT: no DL = no pressure = I don't give a flying tard's fart who you are in the NFL. Under today's rules of contact and DB's, WR are going to get open if the QB has any time. Champ is clearly leaps and bounds a head of others, and Law has demonstrated he has figured out how to play under the new rules, but his skills are shot and he's getting by simply off limited talent and a world of knowledge.

Mile High Mania
06-28-2007, 05:19 AM
Bly is by no means a slouch. Is he overpaid? Possibly, but that's not a concern to me. Bly has solid #'s as a starting DB and now he's the #2... I think that makes for a solid backfield.

As said earlier, the key is the DLINE. Can the draft picks and new acquisitions create a roation worth a damn? I have no idea, but we'll find out soon.

If the DLINE improves... then yeah, that CB duo will have nice production.

StcChief
06-28-2007, 05:19 AM
REPEAT: no DL = no pressure = I don't give a flying tard's fart who you are in the NFL. Under today's rules of contact and DB's, WR are going to get open if the QB has any time. Champ is clearly leaps and bounds a head of others, and Law has demonstrated he has figured out how to play under the new rules, but his skills are shot and he's getting by simply off limited talent and a world of knowledge. :clap: well said.

The rules of contact, Time throw (D pressure), will make the difference

Still hoping EK burns Chump again.

Bowe will learn alot against Bly.

I would expect our running game. maybe LJ will catch out of the backfield.

Short stuff to TonyG./ Webb/Hannon to streach field.
will give us options.

I like our chances..

Dominic Rhodes = always hurt.

Red Dawg
06-28-2007, 06:25 AM
Bly is by no means a slouch. Is he overpaid? Possibly, but that's not a concern to me. Bly has solid #'s as a starting DB and now he's the #2... I think that makes for a solid backfield.

As said earlier, the key is the DLINE. Can the draft picks and new acquisitions create a roation worth a damn? I have no idea, but we'll find out soon.

If the DLINE improves... then yeah, that CB duo will have nice production.

Solid numbers against poor offenses and mostly mediocre QB's in the divisions he's played in.

Codered
06-28-2007, 06:30 AM
Bly is overated, but Surtain didn't turn out to be? He will be just fine playing across Champ Bailey. I think there is a lot of wishful thinking going on.

Mile High Mania
06-28-2007, 07:25 AM
Solid numbers against poor offenses and mostly mediocre QB's in the divisions he's played in.

Ooohhh, ok... I forgot that Law & Surtain have done nothing but play HOF QBs for 75% of their NFL games.

Mile High Mania
06-28-2007, 07:33 AM
You're going to have to help me out with the stats for CBs vs QBs ...

Over the course of the last 7 years, there have been roughly 5 "elite" caliber QBs in a given season. I really don't see one division that has been littered with talented QBs on a consistent basis.

In Detroit ... Bly faced the likes of Culpepper, Favre. In St Louis, Bly faced the likes of Garcia and then Hasselbeck in SEA.

The caliber of QBs that Law faced while in NE is no more daunting... same goes for Surtain in MIA.

That is of course unless you'd like to back up your noise with some proof. It's easy to point at a division and make a blanket statement.

Yes - you've been called out.

Direckshun
06-28-2007, 07:55 AM
Hm. Interesting.

Pro Bowl QBs that the Chiefs faced in 2006 with current lineup of Law & Surtain:

Plummer, Plummer, Rivers, Rivers, Bulger, Palmer, McNair, Manning.

Record, 4-4. Blech.

Gave every one of them but Palmer fits, though.

Codered
06-28-2007, 07:59 AM
I don't really see the reason for this thread other then needing to pick on the Broncos. Bly is a fine cornerback. Put him across Champ Bailey and you have a pretty sick combo. Much better then anyone else in the AFC West.

Now if you want to talk about DLine... Yeah they are going to have to show something before anyone gives that group any respect.

Direckshun
06-28-2007, 08:04 AM
I don't really see the reason for this thread other then needing to pick on the Broncos.
That's like saying you don't see a need to eat other than to sustain your body by absorbing nutrients.

Codered
06-28-2007, 08:05 AM
That's like saying you don't see a need to eat other than to sustain your body by absorbing nutrients.

I take people too serious sometimes! :)

Direckshun
06-28-2007, 08:09 AM
I take people too serious sometimes! :)
And sometimes, I don't take things seriously enough.

Stick with me partner, and together we will form an awkward buddy duo that might just learn a little something from one another in the end.

HemiEd
06-28-2007, 08:35 AM
Stick with me partner, and together we will form an awkward buddy duo that might just learn a little something from one another in the end.

Now thats just gross!

Mile High Mania
06-28-2007, 09:03 AM
Hm. Interesting.

Pro Bowl QBs that the Chiefs faced in 2006 with current lineup of Law & Surtain:

Plummer, Plummer, Rivers, Rivers, Bulger, Palmer, McNair, Manning.

Record, 4-4. Blech.

Gave every one of them but Palmer fits, though.

ROFL Ok, now... I can't say for sure that you've ever called Plummer a spare or a horrible QB, but you're using him as 2 examples. That kinda makes me chuckle. Rivers is a 1st year guy... McNair... I can give you that one.

Again, I believe I'll stick with my point.

In 2006, these are the pro-bowl QBs that Bly faced in DET:
Hasselebeck, Favre, Favre, Brady, Romo, Bulger, Vick

The Lions sucked in 2006, but Bly had each of his 3 INTs vs Brady, Favre and Vick.

Again, it is what it is... but, we can play this game all day if you like and I don't think I need to run through Baileys stat line the last two seasons for ya.

listopencil
06-28-2007, 09:12 AM
No shit? Saying someone is "overrated" is a subjective assessment?

Jesus, I'm glad you guys swing by these threads from time to time to enlighten us that the sky is blue and grass is green. Perhaps you could spare a moment to educate me on "shapes" next.

Yep, I like to swing by and make comments in stupid threads. Especially threads like these that are designed to puff up the chests of KC fans without them actually thinking about anything relevant. And look-GoChiefs was here to throw in his one word "deflection" post. Isn't that special. I guess the guys at OrangeMane left a lot of scar tissue on him with that one. Poor little troll.

Direckshun
06-28-2007, 09:14 AM
ROFL Ok, now... I can't say for sure that you've ever called Plummer a spare or a horrible QB, but you're using him as 2 examples. That kinda makes me chuckle. Rivers is a 1st year guy... McNair... I can give you that one.

Again, I believe I'll stick with my point.

In 2006, these are the pro-bowl QBs that Bly faced in DET:
Hasselebeck, Favre, Favre, Brady, Romo, Bulger, Vick

The Lions sucked in 2006, but Bly had each of his 3 INTs vs Brady, Favre and Vick.

Again, it is what it is... but, we can play this game all day if you like and I don't think I need to run through Baileys stat line the last two seasons for ya.
Plummer is a toolbox who, I've heard on good authority, has an anus so large it resembles a Stargate. But he was a Pro Bowl QB. All those guys are. Make your excuses but that's what they are. After all I could go on about how Romo's a first year guy or how Favre wasn't Favre or how Vick's passing is pretty much worthless in the second half of a game. But they're all Pro Bowl dudes so cram it.

I've already addressed what I thought of both teams, ours and yours, so I'm not going to repeat myself. I was just making a tangeantal point.

Direckshun
06-28-2007, 09:16 AM
Yep, I like to swing by and make comments in stupid threads. Especially threads like these that are designed to puff up the chests of KC fans without them actually thinking about anything relevant. And look-GoChiefs was here to throw in his one word "deflection" post. Isn't that special. I guess the guys at OrangeMane left a lot of scar tissue on him with that one. Poor little troll.
Yeah, you want to defend yourself by alluding to ****ing GoChiefs.

That oughtta save your sinking ship.

Mile High Mania
06-28-2007, 09:59 AM
Plummer is a toolbox who, I've heard on good authority, has an anus so large it resembles a Stargate. But he was a Pro Bowl QB. All those guys are. Make your excuses but that's what they are. After all I could go on about how Romo's a first year guy or how Favre wasn't Favre or how Vick's passing is pretty much worthless in the second half of a game. But they're all Pro Bowl dudes so cram it.

I've already addressed what I thought of both teams, ours and yours, so I'm not going to repeat myself. I was just making a tangeantal point.

Wow ... you should settle down a bit. I know you're in a pissing match with Listo, but that doesn't mean you have to respond to everyone the same way.

My comments regarding Plummer, McNair etc were not an effort to knock them down and then bolster my examples for Bly. Each set of QBs has their own pros and cons, which is why I said "it is what it is". In an earlier thread, I commented that in reality when you break down the body of work between "our DBs and your DBs"... I think you'll find that they each faced the same # of sucky QBs and talented QBs.

Now, grab a soda... take a smoke break and settle down, Beavis.

Direckshun
06-28-2007, 03:45 PM
Wow ... you should settle down a bit. I know you're in a pissing match with Listo, but that doesn't mean you have to respond to everyone the same way.

My comments regarding Plummer, McNair etc were not an effort to knock them down and then bolster my examples for Bly. Each set of QBs has their own pros and cons, which is why I said "it is what it is". In an earlier thread, I commented that in reality when you break down the body of work between "our DBs and your DBs"... I think you'll find that they each faced the same # of sucky QBs and talented QBs.

Now, grab a soda... take a smoke break and settle down, Beavis.
I only know two gears: (1) kill, or (2) be killed.

Buehler445
06-28-2007, 04:59 PM
I only know three gears: (1) kill, or (2) be killed, (3) naked women.

Fixed your post. I'm sure you have that gear.:)

OctoberFart
06-28-2007, 06:07 PM

When did I say he was? I never ever expect much out of a rookie. Nice try and keep homering on Bowe.

listopencil
06-28-2007, 07:29 PM
Yeah, you want to defend yourself by alluding to ****ing GoChiefs.

That oughtta save your sinking ship.

I have nothing to defend. This is a fluff off-season thread of no merit and I dropped by to shit on it. A word of warning-if you ever find yourself on the same side of any discussion with GoChiefs you should really check your yourself. You're probably wrong.

Hammock Parties
06-28-2007, 07:31 PM
A word of warning-if you ever find yourself on the same side of any discussion with GoChiefs you should really check your yourself. You're probably wrong.

This is true. I was certain the Broncos would defeat the San Francisco 49ers last year.

listopencil
06-28-2007, 07:36 PM
This is true. I was certain the Broncos would defeat the San Francisco 49ers last year.

You are certain of many things every year. You even bring stats. And you are usually wrong. No big deal. You're a huge homer. Carry on.

Bowser
06-28-2007, 08:08 PM
When did I say he was? I never ever expect much out of a rookie. Nice try and keep homering on Bowe.

Yeah, because the Raiders are going to make a quantum leap this year without him.

OctoberFart
06-28-2007, 08:12 PM
Yeah, because the Raiders are going to make a quantum leap this year without him.

Deflecting from the fact Bowe most likely won't do much his first year? That's all I said.

Bowser
06-28-2007, 08:16 PM
Deflecting from the fact Bowe most likely won't do much his first year? That's all I said.

You can't have it both ways. You can't say Russell is going to QB a Raiders team that in your opinion (iirc) is going to improve 5-6 wins this year, then turn around and say out of the other side of your mouth that Bowe is going to look like a turd and contribute nothing significant this year. Well, strike that. You CAN, but then, who would look like the homer then?

OctoberFart
06-28-2007, 09:36 PM
You can't have it both ways. You can't say Russell is going to QB a Raiders team that in your opinion (iirc) is going to improve 5-6 wins this year, then turn around and say out of the other side of your mouth that Bowe is going to look like a turd and contribute nothing significant this year. Well, strike that. You CAN, but then, who would look like the homer then?

Another poor attempt at deflection. Never said Bowe was a turd instead what part of ROOKIE WR's RARELY make a huge impact first year don't you understand. I think that Raiders win 5-6 games regardless of who the QB is and mostly because of the Defense. Russell has the tools but I'm not that excited yet until I see him play in the pros.